Schools and gyms on high alert over deadly flesh-eating bugs: MRSA

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Schools and gyms will be warned for the first time over deadly flesh-eating bugs which initially have flu-like symptoms.
Detailed official guidelines will spell out the threat posed by community-acquired MRSA and its sister bug MSSA.
The official guidance, issued by the Department of Health and the Health Protection Agency, will apply to strains of the bacteria which produce a poison called Panton-Valentine leukocidin, or PVL.
MRSA is a form of the common Staphylococcus bacteria which cannot be treated with the frontline antibiotic methicillin. MSSA is so called because it is sensitive to the drug, making it easier to treat.
Cuts, grazes and conditions such as eczema and athlete's foot allow the bugs to get under the skin, where they can cause painful boils as big as four inches (10cm) across.
Once in the bloodstream, they can trigger blood poisoning and flu-like symptoms, before travelling to the lungs, causing potentially fatal pneumonia.

Much more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gyms-high-alert-deadly-flesh-eating-bugs.html

How appalling! people in Britain must be very frightened indeed!

Where in the He!! is this stuff coming from ..... When I was a kid the worst thing there was in school was a flu or cold !:eek:

Perhaps from people working with food in this country who didn't have to follow our laws and be immunized...just saying. I for one won't eat lettuce out of bags anymore the last few times I did I begin ill with stomach like symptoms.

Perhaps from people working with food in this country who didn't have to follow our laws and be immunized...just saying. I for one won't eat lettuce out of bags anymore the last few times I did I begin ill with stomach like symptoms.

You know the article is about Britain, yes?

and, anyway, you have given me a thought: i must stop being lazy buying ready bagged salads!

and, anyway, you have given me a thought: i must stop being lazy buying ready bagged salads!

I was thinking it was about America. Sorry...my bad.

My excuse is that it's hotter than normal up in the mountains today and of course no one up here, including me, has air conditioners. Lots of open windows and fans. Years ago no one needed them because before the weather changes it never got this hot. Those days are gone.

Anyhoo--heat makes me spacier then I normally am..:)

MRSA is rampant in the US as well. Here in the Philly area and the New Jersey area we've had case after case. Alot of the kids on football got it and this thing is nasty.

The really bad thing is last summer kids were getting what they thought were bites down the seashore which is normal. Turns out to be MRSA. It will run through a family like wildfire. Some people figure it's just a blind pimple and before you know it they end up in the ER. It's frightening stuff alright.

Here's a link about 5 kids on a football team who got it. A kid in college who went to our local high school died from MRSA and then kids who had played for that high school's team got it. Mind you the college kid hadn't been in that locker room for over a year so weird how they got it. Also the kicker for the Eagle's football team his toddler son got it smack next to his eye. They have absolutely no idea how the little boy got it. Miraculously he didn't lose his eye. More at link.

http://www.nbc10.com/health/14375221/detail.html

Floh - I don't think it is so bad buying ready made bagged salads as long as you WASH it first. Even the stuff advertised as "triple washed" should be washed before consuming. That's my approach - wash everything that can not be peeled :)

Salem

Floh - I don't think it is so bad buying ready made bagged salads as long as you WASH it first. Even the stuff advertised as "triple washed" should be washed before consuming. That's my approach - wash everything that can not be peeled :)

Salem

I wash even the stuff that can be peeled with Baking Soda. I figure the knife might touch the actual fruit or veggie after it touches the peel. Watch my Baking Soda be contaminated.

BTW, I don't think you can catch MRSA from food. Ya never know though. Just in case heaven forbid anybody gets what they think is a cyst or blind pimple keep an eye on it. Almost everyone in our neighborhood knows someone that had it. You get IV antibiotics, but it leaves a fairly big wound and it has to be packed with that new skin stuff. Thus whoever is helping you has to be super careful. Families are getting it from towels, washcloths and such. One of my neighbors daughter got it they believe from the mom's razor. Mom didn't know she had it, and then daughter used her razor. Mom got it from her son the football player. Little siblings got it. It's not good.

We're seeing it in animals a lot too. So far mostly ear infections that aren't responding and when cultured, it's MRSA. I know 3 of the 5 I'm thinking of do have medical people in their family but I don't think the others do. Two of them have skin MRSA and of those two, one has owners who are both retired and I don't think were medical before.

Salem

I hear you. i will be more vigilant in future!

as to this:

The leading causes include over-use of antibiotics in humans -- not just what we get prescribed but antibiotics that get into our system when we eat food like cattle and chickens that have been given antibiotics.
Antibiotics are even seeping into the water supply. And germ mutation is another cause when the bacteria's ability to become drug-resistant.

Yes. the modern world. i've had antibiotics once in my life and i'm beginning to think it may have been once too many. especially considering all the times i must have had it through food and drink!

We're seeing it in animals a lot too. So far mostly ear infections that aren't responding and when cultured, it's MRSA. I know 3 of the 5 I'm thinking of do have medical people in their family but I don't think the others do. Two of them have skin MRSA and of those two, one has owners who are both retired and I don't think were medical before.

Malapoo, I didn't know that. I just found an article that MRSA can be transferred from humans to companion pets. Not sure you'd be interested in the article as you are probably up on this, but it blew me away.

http://veterinaryrecord.bvapublications.com/cgi/content/full/157/22/671

MRSA is all over the place. My son plays on the <brag brag> national championship volleyball team at PSU. One of the athletes brought it from overseas , and my son took a dive on the gym floor creating an open sore on his knee. The team was aware of it by then, so my son was diagnosed very early, and the open sore on his knee was treated and he recovered very fast. The good news was that the 2 of them had it before a semester break, and the team had a break from the gym, so it was not passed on to anybody else.

My niece also had it.. she got it soon after she started working out at Curves.

Thanks for all this information, everyone! (As a mom, it's helpful to know what to look for.) I understand that gyms/locker rooms are a breading ground for many bacteria, I do tend to think that we should use caution in public restrooms (or work restrooms) as well, has that ever been mentioned in relation to MRSA?

Thanks for all this information, everyone! (As a mom, it's helpful to know what to look for.) I understand that gyms/locker rooms are a breading ground for many bacteria, I do tend to think that we should use caution in public restrooms (or work restrooms) as well, has that ever been mentioned in relation to MRSA?

Oh ABSOLUTELY care should be taken!

it is mentioned on several sites if you google restrooms MRSA: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=restrooms+MRSA&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

or toilets MRSA: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=toilets+MRSA&btnG=Search

don't forget handrails, door handles and tables.

i'm beginning to believe gloves should always be worn when out in public?

naah &#8212; too obsessive compulsive, eh?

I really doubt the general public is even aware of just how much MRSA is in the community. The long term care home I work in has at least 20 active cases all any given time.

I really doubt the general public is even aware of just how much MRSA is in the community. The long term care home I work in has at least 20 active cases all any given time.

Shocking!

We have a problem with MRSA in the US too. There's a thread somewhere on this site. It has spread in high school wrestling.

I read an article that said MRSA can come from your pets and said that was another reason to always wash your hands after handling them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back