Australian plan to shoot wild horses provokes outrage

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Australian plan to shoot wild horses provokes outrage

SYDNEY (AFP) - An Australian state government's plans to shoot more than 10,000 wild horses to protect the environment were Sunday attacked by some animal rights activists as inhumane. The Queensland government had attempted to keep the cull of the horses, or brumbies, a secret because of fears of a public outcry.

But government documents confirming the cull were obtained by the media while the Save the Brumbies charity reproduced photographs it said are of the cull on its website. One of the images shows a foal standing over its dead mother while the second shows a horse left to die with a wound to its rump and gut.

Animal rights groups accept the government's argument that the horses are causing soil erosion, destroying freshwater springs, damaging Aboriginal cultural sites and competing with native wildlife for food.

But they say the vast overpopulation of the animals should have been dealt with years ago, and shooting the brumbies from helicopters was the result of years of brushing the issue under the carpet. "For years and years the problem of wild horses has not been addressed," Jan Carter of Save the Brumbies told AFP. "And then the idea is 'Well, let's go in and shoot them.' "It's very inhumane. You've only got to see the photos to know they died in agony."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2007111...imalshorses;_ylt=AmHbdCivuLpK5HYmDKtMeEa9IxIF

I think putting the mares on the pill is a much better idea!

That's a horrible story!

3_3_12.gif
to the "horses azzez" who came up with solving
the problem by shooting these innocent horses from hellicopters! :furious:

The whole idea sounds very uncivilzed--How can any government these days allow such a thing?--Shooting to death 10,000 helpless and innocent animals seems more than just inhumane, it sounds sadistic

I dont like this idea either.:mad: ..if the Brumbies need culling then they need to find a more humane way of doing it.

I find this quite barbaric, Im sure they could handle this in a more humane way. Governments dont always make the right decisions and this is one I disagree with strongly.

What a horrible thing to do! Why can't governments take steps to deal with this sort of problem before it becomes a crisis?

What a horrible thing to do! Why can't governments take steps to deal with this sort of problem before it becomes a crisis?

Because they are always bickering about how they can make more money, make the rich, richer and the poor, poorer, if they wanted to make this a better world for people to live in they have to fix the environment and spend the money where it is needed the most, which imo, is education, health, the safety our our countries and citizens, there are too many to mention. Sorry I got a bit of track there.

Why cant they round up the horses, and give them to land owners who work on the land so they can be trained to muster or as family pets, ridden for enjoyment, and even trained to help with work around the farmlands. I really dont know the answer, just throwing around a few options, anything is better to what they have in mind at the moment.

Why cant they round up the horses, and give them to land owners who work on the land so they can be trained to muster or as family pets, ridden for enjoyment, and even trained to help with work around the farmlands. I really dont know the answer, just throwing around a few options, anything is better to what they have in mind at the moment.

Shazza, this is exactly what I was thinking. This was done in the US--during the '80's I think. My dad looked into it for me because we had a farm and I'd always wanted a horse. The horses and donkeys were rounded up and an adoption fee of $1000 was charged (IIRC). We ended up not doing it because they required a 10 foot fence around the pasture to eliminate the possibility of the horse jumping the fence. The fee wasn't prohibitive, but the cost of that much fencing was. I did know people who adopted the donkeys though. While it took some time for them to acclimate, they became very fat and friendly--the donkeys, not the people. :)

Shazza, this is exactly what I was thinking. This was done in the US--during the '80's I think. My dad looked into it for me because we had a farm and I'd always wanted a horse. The horses and donkeys were rounded up and an adoption fee of $1000 was charged (IIRC). We ended up not doing it because they required a 10 foot fence around the pasture to eliminate the possibility of the horse jumping the fence. The fee wasn't prohibitive, but the cost of that much fencing was. I did know people who adopted the donkeys though. While it took some time for them to acclimate, they became very fat and friendly--the donkeys, not the people. :)

Pandora, that is a great idea.

It would cost the government more money to cull them the way they want to, but less if the mustered them and gave them away to persons interested in owning one of these brumbies. I would hope the government would just give them away and charge nothing. I cannot believe the government want to do this, there has to be other options.

The gov't here in the U.S. is still rounding them up and selling them. I just saw an ad last week for the donkeys up for adoption.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back