Jose Baez

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can post on the quality of JB's representation of KC here.

Moved to here from another thread.

MiraclesHappen said:
I sooo agree. I do not think Baez was consciously wheeling and dealing with a clear cut strategy in mind. I think a bit of it is flying by the seat of his pants, and seeing where he lands next. I have no idea how many cases he has handled. I don't necessarily use "number of years in practice" as an accurate gauge of experience.
One can be a lawyer for a relatively short period of time and end up doing more trials than many attys do in their whole career. But it seems that the way Baez has a tendency to short-circuit his own abilities to wheel and deal in this case...he does not have the necessary negotiating experiences and skills to accomplish much for his own cause.
He continuously burns bridges when it would be more favorable to the client to leave avenues open. I honestly believe he has negatively affected his abilities to bargain for future clients as well. jmhumbleo

Well said, Miracles! Very well said. JB should have taken the initiative and opened the negotiations early on when the prosecution and LE badly wanted something; the location of the body. That was his best time to do it and he lost it. If he had defended based on unintentional accident and KC's fear of an overly controlling mother, she may have gotten a term of years. His problem -- KC and CA wouldn't back off their ludacris position that the Nanny stole her. CA is worried about disloyalty now? Wait until she realizes her daughter could have made a plea bargain for life or better. I'm afraid CA's world is going to have an 8 point earthquake when she realizes that.

Moved here fromn another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis
Well said, Miracles! Very well said. JB should have taken the initiative and opened the negotiations early on when the prosecution and LE badly wanted something; the location of the body. That was his best time to do it and he lost it. If he had defended based on unintentional accident and KC's fear of an overly controlling mother, she may have gotten a term of years. His problem -- KC and CA wouldn't back off their ludacris position that the Nanny stole her. CA is worried about disloyalty now? Wait until she realizes her daughter could have made a plea bargain for life or better. I'm afraid CA's world is going to have an 8 point earthquake when she realizes that.

Thanks Themis.

Do you think JB has an inkling that Cindy may very well become an enemy, or is he too deeply immersed in the case?

That earthquake is going to separate Florida from the continental US. I hope I end up with beach access.

Moved here from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclesHappen
Thanks Themis.

Do you think JB has an inkling that Cindy may very well become an enemy, or is he too deeply immersed in the case?

That earthquake is going to separate Florida from the continental US. I hope I end up with beach access.

Themis: See, I think that's exactly where the problem lies. JB can't seem to see KC as his client as opposed to the A family as his client. The family is not his client! KC is his client. He acts like he's her babysitter. He comments that KC is somebody's child and she cries. He slathers after a "high profile" case, but doesn't do the things that would be done for KC's defense as an individual. If he had cast her as a perhaps neglectful very young mother who made a mistake of -- say falling asleep and didn't notice the pool ladder was up and found a dead baby, hid her etc because of the already tenuous conditions and extremely overbearing mother who had made her keep the baby, which she grew to love, then he would have been defending against the child neglect charge and a term of years. JB let this go on because he confused the roles of the A family and his client. IMHO, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia713
Geragos was in delay delay delay mode throughout. Scott had to waive his right to a speedy trial. Stanislaus County had to hire a court clerk JUST to handle all of the paper that MG threw at the court. When not filing his motions, she sat and read a book. I don't think Baez is smart enough to bury the prosecution in paperwork considering he wasn't even able to file his first motion properly and does not give any case law in any of his motions - of course, Geragos rarely gave any case law in his either.

Themis: Here, if no law is cited to support the motions; even if they are trying to advance the law, the judges are prone to refuse to hear it because it is frivolous. He could have been sanctioned for that.

JB also could have done the "dance of the 7 plea bargains" because that would be one way to have accurately anticipated the evidence which he does not yet have and how damning it is for his client. He could then plot his next move, as to what would best serve his client.

It's not a foolproof method. Nothing is etched in stone when a big criminal case unfolds. But for an attorney to forego even giving it (meaningful conversation with LE and the Prosecution) a shot, baffles me.
One does not necessarily have to plan to plead in order to engage in plea bargaining.
jmhumbleo

That earthquake is going to separate Florida from the continental US. I hope I end up with beach access.[/QUOTE]

Wow - that would be a battle royale, wouldn't it? If the time ever comes when what JB thinks is best for Casey contradicts what Cindy thinks is best for Casey, anybody around them had best hunker down and hope they do not get caught in the cross fire!

this brings up an interesting question, and I wonder if it should have it's own thread. If JB and Cindy disagree as to how to proceed - who is Casey going to listen to? JB can just ignore Cindy, as hard as that might be, but he has to listen to Casey. He may try to convince her to go a different way, but in the end, he has to proceed as she requests.

Wow - that would be a battle royale, wouldn't it? If the time ever comes when what JB thinks is best for Casey contradicts what Cindy thinks is best for Casey, anybody around them had best hunker down and hope they do not get caught in the cross fire!

this brings up an interesting question, and I wonder if it should have it's own thread. If JB and Cindy disagree as to how to proceed - who is Casey going to listen to? JB can just ignore Cindy, as hard as that might be, but he has to listen to Casey. He may try to convince her to go a different way, but in the end, he has to proceed as she requests.[/QUOTE]

These posts were originally collateral to another discussion and I thought it needed a thread too, so I sent a private message to Tricia. She said we could talk about it and to put it in the Jose Baez thread already started. So, I did.

this brings up an interesting question, and I wonder if it should have it's own thread. If JB and Cindy disagree as to how to proceed - who is Casey going to listen to? JB can just ignore Cindy, as hard as that might be, but he has to listen to Casey. He may try to convince her to go a different way, but in the end, he has to proceed as she requests.

It's not that unusual for a criminal defendant to consult with friends or family members---what to do, what to do , what to do???
That being said, whether or not JB has the requisite abilities to control his client, his witnesses, and to control the room itself--as he needs to CONTROL the room when he cross exams--remains to be seen.
While it is run of the mill for the defendant to seek other opinions, this case holds the potential to have all sorts of traditional lines blur, with regard to who calls the shots.
jmhumbleo

I'm totally confused now. JB intimates on his web site that he was a practicing lawyer with public defender's office since 1995. Not possible--he didn't pass the bar until 3 years ago.What is up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ????

It's not that unusual for a criminal defendant to consult with friends or family members---what to do, what to do , what to do???
That being said, whether or not JB has the requisite abilities to control his client, his witnesses, and to control the room itself--as he needs to CONTROL the room when he cross exams--remains to be seen.
While it is run of the mill for the defendant to seek other opinions, this case holds the potential to have all sorts of traditional lines blur, with regard to who calls the shots.
jmhumbleo

The post Miracles is responding to is a good post, but I didn't write it.

I am working on a new theory that I won't go into because, as of now, I have a whole lot of people who are intertwined in businesses in this case..but not a shred of proof. Still working on it.
I don't think that Casey was given JB's name by an inmate. I think, that she may have been involved in some illegal activity and that JB is an "on call" lawyer for some of the people she may have been involved with.
Has anyone got a picture of JB's wife? I should would love a link. I can't find one anywhere. I am curious as to what she looks like. wink wink

I think when this case first came to light I heard on television or else saw in the Sentinel that Jose Baez was known as a jailhouse lawyer. Casey got his card as she was being booked into the jail and she called him right away.

I'm totally confused now. JB intimates on his web site that he was a practicing lawyer with public defender's office since 1995. Not possible--he didn't pass the bar until 3 years ago.What is up with that?

I didn't see that on his website ... but Mr. Kasen ... Jonathan, I believe, has a pretty impressive CV. His experience is closer to what you stated. I think that Baez was in real estate or some sort of property management prior to going to law school, from which he graduated in '05.

I didn't see that on his website ... but Mr. Kasen ... Jonathan, I believe, has a pretty impressive CV. His experience is closer to what you stated. I think that Baez was in real estate or some sort of property management prior to going to law school, from which he graduated in '05.

That's exactly what it says under JB's profile.

http://www.baezlawfirm.com/index.html#

That's exactly what it says under JB's profile.

I am not seeing that info..but would love to have a look! I don't doubt that you saw what you saw.:)

:help:
No matter which link I click at the Baez website, I get one of 2 pages which have the same limited info.

Can someone check it as I don't know if it is my computer or the website that is having a problem.

Thanks in advance.:blowkiss:

I believe that Casey is actively awaiting the time when her mother tries to insert herself into the defense strategy. She has been waiting to show her mother just how much she's not going to let Cindy run her life.

22 years of waiting.

I think when this case first came to light I heard on television or else saw in the Sentinel that Jose Baez was known as a jailhouse lawyer. Casey got his card as she was being booked into the jail and she called him right away.

I have always wondered how and why she picked a lawyer that at the time was representing a child killer, with a somewhat high-profile case (in the Latin community, anyway) nearing it's end.

http://www.baezlawfirm.com/index.html#

I am not seeing that info..but would love to have a look! I don't doubt that you saw what you saw.:)

:help:
No matter which link I click at the Baez website, I get one of 2 pages which have the same limited info.

Can someone check it as I don't know if it is my computer or the website that is having a problem.

Thanks in advance.:blowkiss:

Strange--i can't access the web pages either now. will keep trying and will let you know.

Strange--i can't access the web pages either now. will keep trying and will let you know.

Whew, it isn't me. Thank you SoCalSleuth.:blowkiss:
Muzikman is also checking this for us and is getting the same results. I hope if the website starts working again someone will happen upon it and let us know. I don't think I have the fortitude to look at JB every 5 minutes.:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361