Couple claim their sick five-month-old boy was taken away by police simply because...

prima.facie

Long Time Member
Reaction score
I find this story horrifying. Quick summary: Mom and Dad take baby to hospital. Staff there make some mistakes, parents become concerned, express their concern to staff and take baby from that hospital immediately to another hospital for a second opinion. Previous hospital calls CPS and now their baby is taken away.....even though the second hospital gave an "ok" for the baby to go home.

It is a long read and there is a video interview towards the bottom.
A California couple had their five-month-old baby “snatched” by police after they took the infant to get a second opinion on a medical procedure, they claim.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...k&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=Share Buttons

Here is a video of them being interviewed by a local NBC station
http://bcove.me/mxawz73v

What do you think? Im mortified at it all. Mortified that CPS has such scary powers over parents!! Reminds me of this recent MSNBC video
http://youtu.be/29FhZ5Dseec

[sorry, I do not know how to embed videos]
[ETA....if this thread is in the wrong place, please move :/ ]

I have a friend who's baby was taken away because 1 doctor who saw him 1 time, said she starved him.

6 other doctors who have seen the child since birth and other medical experts...
have documented the babies medical issues and proven why he doesn't gain weight.

The baby has made no improvements since taken out of her custody.

But that one doctor... was enough for CPS to take the baby.
After 6 months, no improvement... and $50,000, she is still fighting to get him back full time. :banghead:

So yes, I believe it.
There may be more to the story but I certainly believe it's possible.

I feel as if there is more to the story...sitting on my hands for now.

http://www.news10.net/video/default...&odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|featured

Sounds like the parents have him back but are not totally out of the woods. They have another court date on May 28. They must allow CPS to visit them when the child returns home and agree not to take him out of the hospital against medical advice. The baby will be sent to Stanford Medical Center for a second opinion. They can visit him whenever they want.

Add article:
http://www.news10.net/news/article/...port-of-Baby-Sammy-to-Stanford-Medical-Center
The court also ruled Monday the parents must following all medical advice from now on, including not taking their child from Stanford without proper discharge.

A county social worker will make regular house visits to check on Sammy once he is returned home.

I took my child away from a hospital 1 time against medical advice, because I did not agree, and felt bullied. They did the same thing, called cps. Fortunately, my child was never taken from me, but I believe it could happen. It was a very scary time for our family.

And demanding that parents follow ALL MEDICAL ADVICE? seriously?!?!?!?!? That is way beyond...... A parent has a right to their childs medical care, yes there are extreme cases that someone should step in to help a child, but these parents don't seem to be against care, instead they are proactive, getting second, third etc opinions is very important, espescially when you have a baby with a heart condition. IMO

Who on earth is behind The Blaze? Stories about raging Chechens, late term abortions and vilifying Muslims...

I understand why the hospital made the referral to CPS. The child was ill and the parents removed him while he still needed medical care.

I have trouble believing that if they told CPS that they took the child to another hospital, that the social worker didn't check with the other hospital. It's really not that I don't believe they didn't check, it is just hard for me to understand why they wouldn't.

But that is kind of the problem with CPS. They either go overboard, or they don't go far enough. And the kids pay.

I understand why the hospital made the referral to CPS. The child was ill and the parents removed him while he still needed medical care.

I have trouble believing that if they told CPS that they took the child to another hospital, that the social worker didn't check with the other hospital. It's really not that I don't believe they didn't check, it is just hard for me to understand why they wouldn't.

But that is kind of the problem with CPS. They either go overboard, or they don't go far enough. And the kids pay.

I believe it's a matter of CPS taking the path of least resistance, just like water. If they can get a case like this one, where the parents removed the child from the hospital, even though they went to another, then, big whoop, have a case they think they can win and show how caring and in charge they are. Imagine that!. This is your tax dollars and mine at work, but does it work well? I think not, ALL the way around.

We need a complete overhaul of our child protective services. In the long run, it may be cheaper and more efficient.

Edited to add: Maybe the parents who provide NO health care to their children are smarter. At least CPS leaves them alone until the child dies, and even then, CPS says they saw no signs of abuse.

I used to think the age we're living in was the age of love, now I'm beginning to wonder if "confusion" isn't the rule of the day. 'Course that's only my opinion.

I had a heart murmur throughout my childhood. Doctor said I would outgrow it, and I did, the same with some of my own children. A heart murmur? Really? Surgery? Really? Dollars? Really.

I had a heart murmur throughout my childhood. Doctor said I would outgrow it, and I did, the same with some of my own children. A heart murmur? Really? Surgery? Really? Dollars? Really.

Heart murmurs don't usually equal surgery - that's why some of us seem to understand that there is a LOT of information that is missing in this story.

It's told from the parents' point of view, they would of course neglect to mention anything that would put their "care" in a bad light.

Not all heart murmurs just go away. They're not all caused by the same thing. Many pictures of the child show him with a feeding tube. He was in the PICU when the parents took him out of the hospital. I'm not saying the hospital did everything right, far from it, but I highly doubt they put a baby in the PICU on a whim or just for money. JMO.

The child was also having flu symptoms.

In the story, the first doctor advised against the parents getting a "second opinion" on the heart surgery. That's always a red flag.

Good doctors don't have a problem with patients getting second opinions, most will usually help by providing files, test results, etc. Any time a doctor refuses to allow a patient to get a second opinion or refuses to collaborate with other docs, especially on a serious medical issue or procedure, find a new doctor pronto.

In the story, the first doctor advised against the parents getting a "second opinion" on the heart surgery. That's always a red flag.

Good doctors don't have a problem with patients getting second opinions, most will usually help by providing files, test results, etc. Any time a doctor refuses to allow a patient to get a second opinion or refuses to collaborate with other docs, especially on a serious medical issue or procedure, find a new doctor pronto.

I think something is shady about that doctor who does not allow a second opinion.

I think something is shady about that doctor who does not allow a second opinion.

It might have been that they were not so much against getting a second opinion as they thought that at that time it wasn't safe for the baby to be removed from whichever medical care or supervision he was getting there.

It's not uncommon for hospital staff to try and make the patients think better of discharging themselves against doctor's orders.

It might have been that they were not so much against getting a second opinion as they thought that at that time it wasn't safe for the baby to be removed from whichever medical care or supervision he was getting there.

It's not uncommon for hospital staff to try and make the patients think better of discharging themselves against doctor's orders.

True. However, I always like a second opinion from another doctor.

True. However, I always like a second opinion from another doctor.

The original story actually says:

" The doctors at Sutter Memorial ALLEGEDLY argued against consulting other health experts, pressuring her to stay put. Anna remained firm. She took her baby from the hospital WITHOUT A PROPER DISCHARGE, and went straight to Kaiser Permanente Hospital. "

(capped by me--sorry, Tapatalk isn't giving me a quote or bold option and I'm too lazy to try html)

As someone noted above, we are clearly only hearing one side and the article is tiptoeing around that. Due to privacy and other legal restrictions I suspect the hospital is unable to comment properly by giving their side of the story.

Just looking for a second opinion, in my experience, has typically been another doctor coming into the hospital where the patient is located and/or properly discharging and then going somewhere else.

There is most definitely more to this story--until both sides are heard, I think it is dangerous to make conclusions on how the hospital or the parents ACTUALLY behaved.

I also pose the same question someone above did---what is The Blaze? I've seen it a lot recently and it almost doesn't seem MSM---more like The Examiner.....and there is a particular author there that we cannot link to even, right?

MOO!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Heart murmurs don't usually equal surgery - that's why some of us seem to understand that there is a LOT of information that is missing in this story.

It's told from the parents' point of view, they would of course neglect to mention anything that would put their "care" in a bad light.

I agree, we are only hearing one side, the parents. But when dealing with CPS, what is the remedy? They aren't going to tell their side, privacy laws prohibit. The same privacy laws they are able to hide behind when they screw up royally.

I don't know what the answer is. Privacy rules are needed to protect the children and their information, to protect investigation into abuse claims, etc.

But those same wonderful laws that protect IMO make it far too easy for CPS to be unaccountable for their actions.

I think there is enough information. Why would police be involved?

We got all the information. Child was in the hospital, parents didn't like the hospital, took him out without medical discharge. Took him to another hospital. First hospital called CPS, CPS called police. I don't think anything suggests that there is more to this story. Now judge ordered child to be transferred to a third hospital. Parents can visit as much as they like.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back