OK - Donald 'Joe' Neff, 61, Poteau, 14 May 2009 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sorry about your loss.

It seems there is a good amount of evidence and I have to believe LE will get this figured out, sometimes getting to the bottom of this kind of crime can take a long time.

From the looks of it he was injured and sort of taken hostage to get money from a home safe before being murdered, Im sure the bar was robbed as well. I cant believe there are no witnesses. From the fact it happened at his place of work and it seems nobody else was there at the time he was beaten up and the fact his safe was broken into makes me think Joe knew these people, maybe close friends, maybe just acquiantances at the bar.

Im not sure how much the girlfriend can be trusted, she probably knew about the safe, she probably knew the perfect time to abduct or when to attack Joe at his bar with no witnesses present. She could have put people up to it with the promise of payment. Im sure police have covered that and it seems shes not a person of interest. Its hard to believe someone random is to blame. Im not accusing her, she may be completely innocent and trustable, but she seems the logical first person to look into. She is also the person who came upon the crime scene.

Unfortunately all LE may be able to do is continue grinding until something such as a tip pops up. I think that will happen at some point.

One of the articles said that he hadn't had any recent problems with bar patrons at all. I also read a comment that he only served beer at the bar. It looks like they injured him at the bar and then took him to his house to get into the safe.
we really do not think that he was ever brought back to the house, the house looked perfectly normal not one thing out of order. i feel like maybe they talked via cell phone and got the information that way

Wed May 13, 2009: Joe’s GF goes to Long Branch Saloon (Joe’s business) at 68155 US 59, near Poteau, OK and finds signs of a violent crime that includes blood. LE discovers money taken from a safe in his home.

Thursday May 14, 2009 at 9AM: Joe seen in a local store per a female friend.

Friday May 15, 2009: LE performs ground search and spends time at Joe’s home

Sunday May 17, 2009: Two fishermen find Joe in a strip pit off Davis Road in Pocola.

just to clarify: nothing happened on may 13th, may 14th he was seen at two area stores at around 10 am before noon same day they discovered the crime scene. may 15th safe broken into discovered, may 17th his body was found around 4pm

just to clarify: nothing happened on may 13th, may 14th he was seen at two area stores at around 10 am before noon same day they discovered the crime scene. may 15th safe broken into discovered, may 17th his body was found around 4pm

Hi missingmydad

What a heartbreaking case. A family left fractured, ripped apart maybe, and no answers. I cannot express how sorry I am that you had to find WS at a time like this. BUT let me also say i've been around a while, and if this is the circumstances you are in, then this is the place you want to be.

Everyone around is awesome at sleuthing out small details and throwing around ideas. Also, the board has great mods to keep ugly people from coming in and spewing hate :(

I'm just curious and I know it has been asked before, but was it documented what your father purchased? Was the saloon suppose to be open that early? and again, anything on his calenders like repair men or maybe even, had your dad had his locks replaced at home for anything? Maybe someone saw the safe and a team attacked him, meaning two men, one at the residence (as mentioned before) and one there with your father.

Once again I am so so sorry and I hope justice is brought to this individual that I will refrain from calling a human being very very soon :(

Missingmydad: More members will be reading about your dad tomorrow. I'm going to go and read more about his case in the meantime. Please copy, correct and add to the timeline. Perhaps we have some other locals who will see this also. Also, please try to edit the headline to OK-Joe Neff - My dad's unsolved murder 2009, if you can. And when a Mod comes by, we'll get your thread moved over to the crime forum. (Just some housekeeping so that we are in the right spot for the sleuthers that specialize in solving murder cases).

And most important of all to me...:praying: we find his justice for your dad!!!

i went in and tried to edit the headline and i cannot figure out how to do it, any suggestions?

Hi missingmydad

What a heartbreaking case. A family left fractured, ripped apart maybe, and no answers. I cannot express how sorry I am that you had to find WS at a time like this. BUT let me also say i've been around a while, and if this is the circumstances you are in, then this is the place you want to be.

Everyone around is awesome at sleuthing out small details and throwing around ideas. Also, the board has great mods to keep ugly people from coming in and spewing hate :(

I'm just curious and I know it has been asked before, but was it documented what your father purchased? Was the saloon suppose to be open that early? and again, anything on his calenders like repair men or maybe even, had your dad had his locks replaced at home for anything? Maybe someone saw the safe and a team attacked him, meaning two men, one at the residence (as mentioned before) and one there with your father.

Once again I am so so sorry and I hope justice is brought to this individual that I will refrain from calling a human being very very soon :(

thank you so much, at about 10 am the day he died he had paid his water bill and bought a part for something at a napa store, not sure what it was. the store is maybe 7 minutes from the bar. he had owned it since 2000.there are pictures of the inside of this bar and the entrance, on kay sullivan realty. bar opens at noon. he showed up to get bar ready and a customer showed up at 11:45 front door unlocked blood inside with his cowboy hat and cigarette lighter on the floor. he walked around for a few minutes calling dads name to see if he was ok. then dads gf showed up, they called 911. we received a call from one of our friends that they had heard something had happened to dad. we raced out there only to find police tape everywhere. and no answers. we stayed til about 1 am then osbi left. we discovered safe next day, evening, which was fri, we stayed at his house thinking he may try to make it home if he had been injured. sunday we received the devastating call , they found his body. this was early evening, i think around 4 or so.

Sorry about your loss, missingmydad. The first thing that comes to my mind is why would your father keep so much money at home in a safe? Did the girlfriend know about the safe? Her story doesn't seem to jive. I'd be looking at her and her friends closely.
The next thing I'd be looking at closely would be how many people knew there was a safe at your father's house? News like that could travel like "wildfire" in a small town.

I also think it would have to be someone from around there who knew where the strip pit was located. I grew up in Oklahoma and some of the teens used to go to the strip pits to swim.

yes there were quite a few people that knew about the safe. it was too big to move without several people and you couldn't hurry

i went in and tried to edit the headline and i cannot figure out how to do it, any suggestions?

Since it's past the 24 hour edit window, I don't think you can edit the title yourself; however, one of the mods for this forum would be happy to help you, I am sure. Just write on their visitor walls and ask, leaving them the link to the thread and what you want it changed to. HTH.

ETA: The mod is a mod for the crimes in the news forum; he should be able to do the things Kimster suggests. I will visit his wall and ask him to check this thread.

ETA2: I see you have already wall messaged him. I left him the link to the thread, so he should get to it when he can.

Can anyone tell me does the Us Marshall's office usally get involved when investigating crimes?

I am glad you asked that, I have never heard of this happening before but thank God I do not have any experience in this area. I do wonder how common it is for them to get involved. Does anyone out there know? Good question, thank you, if I find out I will post it.

thank you so much, at about 10 am the day he died he had paid his water bill and bought a part for something at a napa store, not sure what it was. the store is maybe 7 minutes from the bar. he had owned it since 2000.there are pictures of the inside of this bar and the entrance, on kay sullivan realty. bar opens at noon. he showed up to get bar ready and a customer showed up at 11:45 front door unlocked blood inside with his cowboy hat and cigarette lighter on the floor. he walked around for a few minutes calling dads name to see if he was ok. then dads gf showed up, they called 911. we received a call from one of our friends that they had heard something had happened to dad. we raced out there only to find police tape everywhere. and no answers. we stayed til about 1 am then osbi left. we discovered safe next day, evening, which was fri, we stayed at his house thinking he may try to make it home if he had been injured. sunday we received the devastating call , they found his body. this was early evening, i think around 4 or so.

Does his GF come in the bar all the time to see him or was it out of the norm? I really hate asking you such personal questions :(

Since it's past the 24 hour edit window, I don't think you can edit the title yourself; however, one of the mods for this forum would be happy to help you, I am sure. Just write on their visitor walls and ask, leaving them the link to the thread and what you want it changed to. HTH.

thank you very much I am gonna try to do whatyou said but I am sooo computer illiterate hahaha. I appreciate the advice, thank you

I am so sorry for your loss missingmydad.

To me, it sounds like a local. Joe is taken from his bar in Poteau and found at a strip pit 20 miles away. Someone that was familiar with the strip pit so maybe an avid sportsman; also a gun being used leads me to think it's a male. There is a small time frame from when he's last scene to when he goes missing. Almost like someone was waiting for him to open the bar, but also knowing the lunch crowd might be coming in. Also Joe is killed at the bar and taken away in the middle of the day. Were they looking for the bar safe when actually it's at Joe's home? When Joe is found at the strip pit, was it near a road or would they need a boat?

I think it's someone familiar with Joe's routine, that he had a safe, and someone familiar with the fishing pit.

Kimster wow, someone certainly didn't like this guy. Girlfriends ex? Former business partner? Interesting.

Did this guy have a cell phone?

that is the mystery. my dad had so many friends, there were over a thousand people at his funeral, this town is not that big, he knew and was friends with everyone. i am 38 and have never heard anyone talk bad about him, ever. his only business partner was his brother for the last 30 years or longer but dad was semi retired and just had the bar. the girlfriend was not from around here originally but she has been in poteau for a couple of years or so. no idea of any of her exs

Welcome to WS Missingmydad. Any ideas on who's taking your dad's posters down?

i believe that the business owners or the employees just throw the wanted posters away as they clean the doors and windows, but we have hung so many then to go back and they are gone makes me angry. i mean this is not a yard sale sign, this hunt will not end until we have his killer(s) behind bars.

That's interesting. Do you know if they done any "pings" on it to see if anything came up? I think the Girlfriend could stand to be scrutinized a bit further. IMO

yes they had to get a court order that day and it would not ping at all, probably under water already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberanalyst0303