GUILTY CA - Gavin Smith, 57, Oak Park, 1 May 2012

If he has been named by LE and they are obtaining and executing search warrants, he is fair game. Not his mother, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, etc. But you bet you can sleuth him.

Go Sleuths!

Salem

Bumping & BBM

Okay, Seek and Find, I'll just wait until an arrest is made or Gavin is found to make further comments. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, now I'm really confused. I could not find the article that said LE MAY BE more interested in HER than in him, but YOU found it.

Then you said that I was posting rumors. The author of that piece and myself are of the opinion that LE is more interested in HER. Just because she lives with a drug dealer, does not mean that she is off the hook of their POIs. She owns the house they searched and the car is purported to be the only car the family has.

It has been said that LE believes that a felony was committed in that house and the house in is CW's name. So only the 'other occupant' JC, a convicted drug dealer, can be 'sleuthed' and not CW, the owner of the searched house?

Hey Everybody! Interesting case, huh?

I've read the HuffPo article. HuffPo is not MSM, but it is allowed at WS and may be linked to back up your thoughts and speculation.

Any sleuthing of CW should be contained to the info in the article and whatever was obtained from the search warrants. Have the search warrants been released to the public yet?

Please also note - it was NOT LE that said they were more interested in CW, it was the author's opinion. So that may or may not be true. However, because LE has executed a search warrant at her house, some speculation/sleuthing would be allowed. Just keep it respectful, okay?

Thanks!

Salem

So the fact that HuffPost didn't site JC as convicted of the charges he was arrested on in 2010 and wrote, "Creech was back in jail Thursday evening, arrested on a warrant issued in 2010.", means they cannot be believed on anything else as well? Logic error here. My post did not say, due to that error in this piece, they cannot be believed on anything else as well. I did say their accuracy is often considered dubious. Google Huffington Post and accuracy for more info. That said, it can be posted here. If you had searched this site, you'd have seen discussions about one of their contributors', CH's, inaccuracies, for example. Link. That said, I posted the link to help you, with that qualification added. The inaccuracy about Creech's detention does call this piece into question though.

Seems like HuffPost could sure use your help, Seek and Find, to tighten up their facts a bit. :)

Anyone here watch Dayle Hinman, the long-time criminal profiler on "Body of Evidence"? In the show I stumbled on the other night, she stated that it is rare for a drug dealer to also commit a murder himself. She always wants to find someone connected to the case with a history of violence or violent behavior. Has anyone here done a background check on the owner of LE searched home?No, because CC has not been named by LE or ok'd by a mod for sleuthing.

My comments in Blue.

ETA: ok, NOW a mod has ok'd limited sleuthing of her.

Hey Everybody! Interesting case, huh?

I've read the HuffPo article. HuffPo is not MSM, but it is allowed at WS and may be linked to back up your thoughts and speculation.

Any sleuthing of CW should be contained to the info in the article and whatever was obtained from the search warrants. Have the search warrants been released to the public yet?

Please also note - it was NOT LE that said they were more interested in CW, it was the author's opinion. So that may or may not be true. However, because LE has executed a search warrant at her house, some speculation/sleuthing would be allowed. Just keep it respectful, okay?

Thanks!

Salem

Hey, Salem. :seeya: The search warrants have not been released. So, restricted speculation/sleuthing of CC related solely to info in articles, ie not as broad as John, right? Lotsa newbies here, so clarifying to save you work later, and I haven't seen limited sleuthing before, so...:waitasec:?

<modsnip> She owns the house LE think a felony may have been committed in, AND she had an affair with the man who went missing.

<modsnip>

Look at it this way, how many times have you gone out to the grocery at midnight and come back to find your hubby killed someone in your house?

So after all the media hoopla a few days ago, it looks like there are no new updates. I was hoping Johnny Creech would talk and there would be some clue at to his relationship with Gavin Smith.

Bump

He did say a couple things:

When asked Thursday [June 21] why his home was searched earlier this month, John Creech said: "I would love to tell you but I can't. I am told I cannot make any comments."

He added that he has "never met" Smith.

John Creech made the statements to Times reporters at Los Angeles County Superior Court, where he was scheduled to be sentenced on a single count of selling and transporting drugs. Instead, Judge Clifford Klein ordered that Creech remain in custody without bail pending a new sentencing date of July 26.

BBM. Curious...wonder who told him that? If it was his attorney, I'd think he'd say "I've been advised not too make any comments." Could be his attorney. Could LE or the judge have said something/issued a gag order?? The search warrant is sealed...? I'd think he said this prior to seeing the judge, but IDK. Wonder what he'd "love to tell".

The cover pages of a sealed search warrant affidavit that referenced the address of the home, signed by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge on May 21, said detectives had probable cause that an unspecified felony had been committed at the residence.
link

Summary of latest info ...

John Lenzie CREECH was born in in Ohio. He also lived in 3 northern Indiana counties.

Creech was previously married in Indiana to a TW.
He later married CW (different maiden surnames). I think he & CW are both on their second marriage.

<snipped>

Thanks, 2rose! I hadn't seen this info in any articles. Is there a link? Did you get this info from a paid site?

I'm curious, as I'm interested in the date John & Chandrika married. So, before her marriage to John, her name was Chandrika Winata, as listed in the first articles about the search warrant, right? Married name, Chandrika Creech as listed in later articles.

<snipped>

So two possible scenarios: #1 -- Johnny gets in a fight with Chandie. She calls Gavin to come help her with him. He intercedes and Johnny kills Gavin. Chandie's too afraid to be killed herself, so she helps Johnny hide the body and the evidence. If this is the scenario, then the LE would have found forensic evidence of the murder at the house, and they've got Johnny in custody, so now they're just allowing Chandie to make arrangements for the 2 kids before picking her up as well.

If CC was unwillingly involved, but kept quiet out of fear or due to threats, she may be cooperating with LE now, so no pick up or charges.

Or, if she was a co-conspirator or the perpetrator (with the info we have to date, I can't imagine why she would be either, but if...), she may say nothing to LE.

If my spouse was suspected of involvement in a disappearance, I know I'd tell LE anything they wanted to know and either get him out of the house ASAP, or stay elsewhere myself, especially with kids involved. Scary!

Hey, Salem. :seeya: The search warrants have not been released. So, restricted speculation/sleuthing of CC related solely to info in articles, ie not as broad as John, right? Lotsa newbies here, so clarifying to save you work later, and I haven't seen limited sleuthing before, so...:waitasec:?

Yes - that sums it up. Restricted sleuthing is not uncommon around here. It needs to be confined to what is released in MSM (or HuffPo in this case), whatever is in LE docs that is released to the public, and there can be speculation based on the fact that she was the last person to see him, if that is the case.

Hope that helps,

Salem

ETA: IF she was not the last person to see him - there can be no speculation about that without a link. DOING background checks, posting any arrests, etc. IS OFF LIMITS. RAIDING FACEBOOK OR OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA IS OFF LIMITS. Basically - you may speculate and discuss what is in the articles. So there is not a lot of room here, but there is some.

The house was on the market in 1998 when the Smith's bought it for over $300,000. Now they are trying to sell it for over double that amount. Never going to get it, imo. I read that there were liens against the house. Other than the mortgage, I wonder if maybe the Smith's were the one's who put in the pool and that is one of the liens.

I guess it really doesn't matter though. I do feel sorry for Lisa. I wonder how she is surviving with no income coming in for the past two months.

I haven't seen anything about liens against the Smith family home. Do you have link for that?

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=8694491

"They also said he used to be co-owner of a Hollywood night club, but was recently between jobs and struggling financially."

Since she's not involved in this disappearance, it's all about JC and his finances.

JC is locked up in jail awaiting sentencing, so CC has her chance to spill the beans without being afraid of her hubby, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Ciao~

:eek:nline:

Can't find a drumroll smiley...

Ok, all links from Gavin's main thread here have now been added to his Media thread here. Feel free to :websleuther: in there! Sometimes different info jumps out at you later in a case.

So, Johnny Creech "would love" to talk about the situation??

What an interesting choice of words. I really don't know what to make of that.

So, Johnny Creech "would love" to talk about the situation??

What an interesting choice of words. I really don't know what to make of that.

Isn't it, though? Me neither!

Not strange in my mind. First off, there appears to be only two possibilities.

He just walked away to start a new life somewhere without any notice or good-bye OR it seems he may have gone out and gotten killed in a love triangle and/or drug deal after moving out of the family home as his son reported. Why wouldn't they be angry? Sad, but also very angry, IMO.

Evan tweeted recently, "Your just somebody that I used to know." And we can only guess who he was addressing in that tweet. If I were his wife, I would be livid with anger, but also very heart-sick and devastated. One emotion does not negate the other.

Yep, I was thinking that same thing about that statement. It does seem like it is directed at his father. There was another tweet: A rightcheous man may have troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all. -Psalm 34:19 This one may be aimed at Gavin as well, or it could just be Evan talking about his own present circumstances.

Because of Evan's anger, I tend to think Gavin is alive and has contacted his family. But then again, anger is a very powerful emotion. After my dad died, I couldn't grieve for a long time because of unresolved issues I had with him. Anger is one mighty devil.

OH, I am so curious about what kind of therapy Gavin was in. If he met Chandrika in therapy, then it had to be some group thing. Maybe AA???

That is another question I wish we could get answered. I know…..it isn't any of our business, but when a case like this is public, and they put things like that out there, I can't help but be nosy.

I'll go through all the articles I can and see if I can find it.

Here it is in the last paragraph, but at second glance, it might have been just a general statement about why their house is up for short sale.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-mysterious-disappearance-baffles-police.html

Thanks! That part just hadn't stuck in my mind. From the article:

But the Smiths, whose house is for sale as a property in &#8220;distress&#8221; and could face foreclosure, have been trying to sell their home for the last six to eight months. The house on Daryn Drive is listed as a &#8220;short sale,&#8221; an alternative to foreclosure in which the property owner cannot afford to pay liens and the sale falls short of the balance of debts.

I agree, though, that it looks like a general statement re: short sales. More info re: short sales & distressed properties (although many of us are already too familiar with those terms):

If you want to sell your house but it&#8217;s worth less than the amount remaining on the mortgage, a short sale may allow you to sell your house and settle your mortgage debt.
By completing a short sale rather than allowing your house to go through foreclosure, you avoid eviction and your house will not be sold at a public sale or auction. Plus, depending on your circumstances, you could qualify for financial assistance to help with relocation costs.
link

Many of the homes for sale today - as many as half in some markets - fall under the category of "distressed properties."

These are homes that have either gone through foreclosure or are being marketed as "short sales." In a short sale, the homeowner can't afford to maintain the mortgage, but the lender - rather than foreclosing - agrees to the sale of the property for less than the balance of the loan.
Link

Like so many, sounds like they bought at the height of the market, then the bottom dropped out, and they ended up upside down.

A few other things jump out from this article now, though.

Like Gavin being 6'6", 210 lbs. With John at 6'1", 195, that's a pretty even match for a physical struggle or disposal. (hate to say that :( )

he was not on any medications and police are not aware of any preexisting conditions

Since he was last seen around 10 p.m. on May 1, Smith has not used his cellphone or his credit cards.

So it looks like he didn't use his phone after he left the friend's house.

Smith attended the film industry convention, CinemaCon, which ended April 18, and he returned to Los Angeles one or two days later, [ Los Angeles County Sheriff&#8217;s Department homicide division&#8217;s Sgt. John] O&#8217;Brien said. Instead of going home to West Hills, Smith went 15 miles northeast&#8212;to the house of a female friend in a well-manicured cul-de-sac in Oak Park. &#8220;They were kind of friends and he was hanging out there for a few days,&#8221; O&#8217;Brien said. &#8220;There was no romance in that at all. Just hanging out with a friend for a couple of days.&#8221;

For those who were wondering about the friend.

On the night of May 1, the friend went to bed and did not hear Smith leave the house. When she awoke and didn&#8217;t see him, she figured he was just going on about his day, O&#8217;Brien said.

So who was the eyewitness that saw him driving away, mentioned in one article?? Or was it captured on camera?

He was spotted driving away from the friend's home in Oak Park, north of Los Angeles at around 10pm in his black Mercedes sedan.
link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back