Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.
They restricted his travel to certain counties. Doesn't he sometimes travel in his job?

I'm replying to a post on page 30 of this thread, and I took a look at the conditions of release and if Steven Powell does makes bail, he's restricted to travel only in Pierce, King, Thurston, and King counties. Since Steven Powell has been fired from his job with the Department of Corrections, (and his job presumably involved driving in these counties), why shouldn't he now be restricted to only being allowed to travel in Pierce County where he lives? (Puyallup is in Pierce County.) That is still a big area of Washington that he can travel throughout if he were released from jail. I notice that the conditions of release document and the day he was fired from his job are both Friday, Sept. 23, 2011.

If Powell does make bail though, he could easily drive to Canada straight up I-5, as it would only be about 150 miles or so north of Puyallup through Pierce, King, Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties to get to the U.S./Canada border.

Thanks for your input. BBM. That's an interesting point about Sandy's info - but why shouldn't they be able to act on her information though? I'm not sure that is accurate.

Because it could be referred to as hearsay. Hearsay is only reliable if it is combined with over evidence and is provided by a credible person. His defense would have a field day destroying her credibility and would likely get any evidence gleaned from such a warrant thrown out. I can say my neighbor keeps a stash of weed in his basement...it isn't enough for a warrant.

The fourth amendment provides protection from unreasonable search and seizure. To convince a judge to issue a warrant, they needed more than Sandy's word.

Excellent post! I agree 100%. Hatred of their victims and self-hatred as well. I think (and I am just thinking out loud - IMO), SP self-hatred - knew he was inept, perhaps impotent, perhaps even bi or closet gay; probably hasn't had a REAL relationship since his ex-wife departed (and that relationship probably went sours years before it actually ended). JP - deep self-hatred. Unable to even hold a job. Unable/unwilling to perform sexually with his wife. Likely a closet homosexual or asexual, and angry that he doesn't have the courage to be who he really is. Angry that his father dominates him and he is dependent. Angry that Susan did have a career and shined with happiness. Angry that she had friends. Just ANGRY. Both of them. And HATEFUL. For others and though they might not realize it - self hatred.

Excellent posts from both of you. I think you've nailed it.

Because it could be referred to as hearsay. Hearsay is only reliable if it is combined with over evidence and is provided by a credible person. His defense would have a field day destroying her credibility and would likely get any evidence gleaned from such a warrant thrown out. I can say my neighbor keeps a stash of weed in his basement...it isn't enough for a warrant.

The fourth amendment provides protection from unreasonable search and seizure. To convince a judge to issue a warrant, they needed more than Sandy's word.

Plus, my guess is Sandy's word didn't obviously and directly relate to Susan's disappearance. At the time. Angry ex-wives are a dime a dozen and I'm sure LE hear from them all the time. They often want to sink their ex's. In this case, it may have taken a while for LE to put the pieces together.

ty so much wow what a perve now im wondering if he is the one cops should be focusing on instead of JP. hummmm with a weirdo -o llike that for a dad I guess nothing can be too shocking at this point. how bizarre I sure hope the cops get to the bottom of this. I know she didnt leave her children she never would with men like that in her life. I feel so bad for her. thank you again. wow my tummy feels like a mack treuck ran over it LOL this surgery came out of the clear blue, eating a taco one night on the OR table the next morning..what an experience

thanks

No more Taco's for you, at least anytime soon!

Isn't there lots of information to retrieve from a camera? GPS etc...? thx

On high-end cameras it is possible through the Exif data.

Even iPhones capture the geolocation of a photo.

I have an SD card for my Nikon that tracks geolocation as an option, as well. It also has the capabilities to upload pictures directly from the camera to my computer using my wireless network.

If Powell does make bail though, he could easily drive to Canada straight up I-5, as it would only be about 150 miles or so north of Puyallup through Pierce, King, Snohomish, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties to get to the U.S./Canada border.

sbm

I hope that Pierce County will give an alert to the Canadian border officials that SP is not to be allowed into Canada. You have to have a passport or an enhanced driver's licence to go there now, so I assume everyone is checked. I guess he could try to hide under blankets or something, but I hope they are on the lookout for anyone with the "Powell" name crossing the border!

This case reminds me a lot of the Laci Peterson case, as well. Like the Coxes, Sharon Rocha tried very hard to believe that Scott had nothing to do with Laci's disappearance. Scott barely lifted a finger when it came to trying to find Laci while her family feverishly hung posters, held vigils, searches, etc. Remember all the buttons and flyers found in his car when he was arrested? The stuff he was supposed to be hanging up and passing around. He knew where Laci was the whole time and I have no doubt that Josh knows where Susan is.

The thing I don't understand is, don't these guys ever see the pattern they are setting? The premise is almost always the same in these spousal murder cases. Hubby says last saw wife doing such and such. Doesn't participate in the search. Doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned that a mother (or pregnant woman in Laci's case) has just mysteriously left or decided to leave. Almost always has some deep, dark, secret (Scott had a mistress, but what is Josh's deep, dark, secret?)

I'm having a hard time remembering but, did Mark Hacking participate in any searches for Lori Hacking?

I believe Josh Powell has been bullied and exposed to SP's perversions. Alienation from his own mother and being raised by a man who objectifies women as sexual objects cause Josh's mental state. He hates women. He took his hatred of his mother leaving him and projected that hate on his wife. I think she said I am leaving and he stopped her.

The question I would like an answer to is, "Why wasn't SP's ex Sandy's info acted on sooner?"

Also, "Why didn't the locked cabinet get opened in the initial search?"

Timeline:

http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...ox-powell-feared-her-father-law#ixzz1YsqvT6fL

Shorthanded:
1) Police search SP home in May 2010, somehow miss the locked cabinet (is this some kind of secret cabinet behind a wall or wall hanging or something? How was this missed?)
2) SP brags to Sandy that the police did not search the locked cabinet in the fall of 2010 (not stated, but likely before the date she contacts police in Oct 2010)
3) Sandy contacts police Oct 2010, which appears to be to tell them what SP told her about the locked cabinet. Per Sandy, police did not call her back. Why?
4) Police finally do call her in late July 2011, with the likely purpose to help obtain a search warrant of SP's home. Why the 9 month delay?

MOO.

The question is not why did it take so long for LE to act on her info, but why did it take so long for them to call her back. She was in the home on a regular basis, JP had moved back to the home and until she was interviewed, no one knew what she might have seen or heard.

IMO that will hurt them at trial. Because if they aren't reaching out to people who had access to the home, then they may not be contacting others with tips either.

As far as the locked cabinet, during that search they were there on the invitation of SP. So they wouldn't have been opening any doors he didn't open and they wouldn't have looked through drawers etc without a warrant. The warrant would allow them to thoroughly search, opening doors and drawers and allowing to keep any evidence they did find.

Ive been in the hospital since Friday had emergency gall bladder, this is what I get for eating a taco from jack in the box. wow pain alll night so saturday morning the ER took me right in and made me go for surgery even though I dont have insurance they said no worries.baylor is a wonderful place but man im hurting can barely sit her, so has SP made bail,? anything happen since he was 1st busted when I left for hospital?

:getwell: I thought I was having a heart attack and went by ambulance . You'll be good to go in a few days. Don't over do !

No bail :great:

Plus, my guess is Sandy's word didn't obviously and directly relate to Susan's disappearance. At the time. Angry ex-wives are a dime a dozen and I'm sure LE hear from them all the time. They often want to sink their ex's. In this case, it may have taken a while for LE to put the pieces together.

But isn't that info beyond the pale? A missing woman's FIL keeps a stolen pair of her sacred underwear in a locked cabinet.
That ,combined with all the phone calls with Josh,would hit the hinky meter at least.

I'm thinking about mercury poisoning over a time. At first in low dosage I think it would show in like ear infections, dizziness etc. Maybe the pancakes had a lot in it. I'm think JP wanted while acquaintances were over for her to have a fatal heart attack. That didn't happen.

Maybe it wasn't mercury but something else but he I think wanted her to die there. I also think if it was pills he staged the bottle somewhere. When his plan didn't work, he went to plan B with daddy's help.

I'm thinking about mercury poisoning over a time. At first in low dosage I think it would show in like ear infections, dizziness etc. Maybe the pancakes had a lot in it. I'm think JP wanted while acquaintances were over for her to have a fatal heart attack. That didn't happen.

Maybe it wasn't mercury but something else but he I think wanted her to die there. I also think if it was pills he staged the bottle somewhere. When his plan didn't work, he went to plan B with daddy's help.

Is mercury hard to get any more? I thought it was kind of scarce these days. Not at all sure, though, haven't needed any lately.

Is mercury hard to get any more? I thought it was kind of scarce these days. Not at all sure, though, haven't needed any lately.

Yeah it probably isn't mercury but mercury poison would cause ear infections that is the only reason why I mentioned it.

I think still though he wanted her to die while she was eating those pancakes in front of the people who were over. Witness to say, he didn't do anything, he was a loving husband fixing us dinner. (in his mind he would think this)

If pills and he opened them up I'm guessing shortly after everyone left she did throw up on the carpet, and therefore she wasn't going to die so JP called Daddy and Daddy told him what to do.

But isn't that info beyond the pale? A missing woman's FIL keeps a stolen pair of her sacred underwear in a locked cabinet.
That ,combined with all the phone calls with Josh,would hit the hinky meter at least.

Well, wait a minute... Maybe I'm getting this wrong. I thought what she said was that she had called them and left several messages over months, but that she had not received a return call until July 2011. Right? So, I'm thinking we don't know what she said in those messages. Is there any basis for assuming she told LE, before they called her back, about the undies? I'm thinking it's just an ex-girlfriend of the POI's dad, living a long ways away, leaving messages that she knows some stuff about the dad. Now yeah, probably they should have called her. But then again, LE get tons of calls and "tips" and info, and simply can't follow it all up...and again, it's an ex. Of a related party. A long way away....

Yeah it probably isn't mercury but mercury poison would cause ear infections that is the only reason why I mentioned it.

I think still though he wanted her to die while she was eating those pancakes in front of the people who were over. Witness to say, he didn't do anything, he was a loving husband fixing us dinner. (in his mind he would think this)

If pills and he opened them up I'm guessing shortly after everyone left she did throw up on the carpet, and therefore she wasn't going to die so JP called Daddy and Daddy told him what to do.

Yup. I have assumed ever since I heard about this case that he poisoned her, left her to die, she threw up...and either she died before they got home or, more likely, she was still alive, and he had to finish the job some other way (mommy ouchee). Thus the camping trip. The rented car to do some cleanup work. The quick exit from the state. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Ugh. I don't know how you folks live with these cases all the time. I don't know how LE do it. I'm getting sick, and horribly sad and upset, just sitting here in front of my computer screen....

Just a Guy, it makes all of us sick and my stomach is often in knots. I think why we sit here and do this, I think is our own way to try and fill a need to do something about it To educate ourselves of the evil out there in order to protect our-self and family. Also if you've been a victim of crime, most not all, but a lot of women feel a deep need to find answers if not in our own incident but others.

Ugh. I don't know how you folks live with these cases all the time. I don't know how LE do it. I'm getting sick, and horribly sad and upset, just sitting here in front of my computer screen....

I came across WS from a google search during the Hoffman case. (It happened in my town) It was very emotionally draining being from the area... and I had to step away from WS for awhile. I've come back, but mostly follow Ohio cases. This is the first case I have followed as closely as the Hoffman case and I am with you... sometimes I hear or read things here about Susan and the case and break down in tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708