The Charges, Statutes - What Must Be Proven

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this would come down to them wanting to see her executed....Felony homicide does not always guarantee that the death penalty can be sought, see my link above to Wiki article. but a conviction on premeditated adds that factor of, well, premeditation, which is more offensive to a sentencing jury.

Also, I'm sure the attys here know more about the details that might be behind it.

ETA: But as I understand what Lin is posting, if they lose the argument on the first degree charges, they can fall back on felony murder per the case Lin cited. And possibly still get the DP.
But they weren't going for the DP initially.

I think this would come down to them wanting to see her executed....Felony homicide does not always guarantee that the death penalty can be sought, see my link above to Wiki article. but a conviction on premeditated adds that factor of, well, premeditation, which is more offensive to a sentencing jury.

Also, I'm sure the attys here know more about the details that might be behind it.

ETA: But as I understand what Lin is posting, if they lose the argument on the first degree charges, they can fall back on felony murder per the case Lin cited. And possibly still get the DP.

Yes, thanks! You've got it but just to clarify so no one else misunderstands: They have to make the decision whether they want the jury instructed on felony murder when they're at the charge conference, discussing jury instructions. They can't wait until a jury fails to convict on one charge and then say, "Well how about this other one?"

By gaining an indictment on premeditated murder, the prosecution has in essence gained an indictment on all LIO's and also felony murder. There is no need to gain a separate indictment for any LIO or felony murder. However, had they indicted on felony murder instead of premeditated, they couldn't go the other way and ask for a conviction on premeditation instead of an underlying felony. That's why the charges are the way they are -- it's all inclusive this way.

Clearly the state believes they can prove premeditation but until this actually gets to trial and decisions are made on what evidence is admitted and which is deemed inadmissible for whatever reason, they can't be 100% sure what they'll be able to prove to the jury. They also can't 100% foresee what the defense may be able to do to explain away any evidence. Therefore, the indictment reading as it does not only says a lot about the evidence the state was able to present to the grand jury, (a murder 1 indictment without a body!!), but it is also the smart way to go, imo.

Something that makes them think that it was premeditated, but they are hedging their bets with the felony murder?

Yes, thanks! You've got it but just to clarify so no one else misunderstands: They have to make the decision whether they want the jury instructed on felony murder when they're at the charge conference, discussing jury instructions. They can't wait until a jury fails to convict on one charge and then say, "Well how about this other one?"
By gaining an indictment on premeditated murder, the prosecution has in essence gained an indictment on all LIO's and also felony murder. There is no need to gain a separate indictment for any LIO or felony murder. However, had they indicted on felony murder instead of premeditated, they couldn't go the other way and ask for a conviction on premeditation instead of an underlying felony. That's why the charges are the way they are -- it's all inclusive this way.

Clearly the state believes they can prove premeditation but until this actually gets to trial and decisions are made on what evidence is admitted and which is deemed inadmissible for whatever reason, they can't be 100% sure what they'll be able to prove to the jury. They also can't 100% foresee what the defense may be able to do to explain away any evidence. Therefore, the indictment reading as it does not only says a lot about the evidence the state was able to present to the grand jury, (a murder 1 indictment without a body!!), but it is also the smart way to go, imo.

Hah! I actually wondered about how that went down! Oh my, I'd better screw on my thinking cap a little tighter :)

If something did come up, that would have to be passed to defense, we should either have seen or will see motions to seal evidence. I asked about this on the legal thread and AZ advised that these things might be handled directly between the parties but more than likely we would see a motion. AZ can clarify if I misunderstand that.
The only motions to seal that I remember to date were in regards to skanky pictures of KC.

All of the following posts are from Procedure and Legal Questions thread, page 25, here. Emphasis is added to some of Themis' posts.

According to the Florida standard jury instructions I just posted on the guilty/not guilty thread, felony murder can be a lesser included offense of premeditated murder under Florida law.

"Is it Felony murder? First degree murder? Capitol Murder? Murder? Homicide? Florida Murder? What exactly is it?"

I will try to give short, non-legal-jargon answers, if you promise that I can tweak later depending on how the discussion turns. :blowkiss:

It is first degree, premeditated murder. Felony murder is when the murder is committed during the course of a felony. A guy is robbing the 7-11 with a gun. During the course of the robbery (a felony) he shoots the store attendant, who dies. That's felony murder (aggravated by the use of a firearm). "Capital" murder is a murder that qualifies under a specific statute authorizing the death penalty. (I suppose a "capitol" murder would be one that took place in a state or federal capitol building? :waitasec:) Murder is a common name for an unlawful killing. An unlawful killing happens when there is not a legal justification for a killing. For example, when a surgeon operates and the patient dies due to the operation but it was not medical malpractice, just the frail condition of the patient, who consented to the surgery; then the death was covered as being legally justified -- trying to save the patient. There was intent to do that act knowing the patient might die, but the intent of the surgeon was to save the patient. Homicide means the killing of a human being. Sometimes it means the same as murder, but it is broader than that since murder requires specific intent. (That's a whole other conversation -- "specific intent.")

Bottom line, the charge is for premeditated murder also commonly known as first degree murder. It is a class of homicide. It is a capital offense because the death penalty is justified. To use your term, it is also a Florida murder, although that's not a real legal term at all. :blowkiss:

Not a problem at all about capital vs capitol. :hand:

I think all the fuss about premeditated murder vs felony murder is based on peoples' different theories of the case. For example, if KC did use chloroform or dangerous drugs to knock Caylee out, that would be aggravated child abuse; a felony. It would be so grossly reckless that even if KC didn't intend to kill Caylee, but Caylee died as a result, it could be second degree murder or felony murder. Premeditated murder indicates the prosecution will have to prove that KC intended to kill Caylee by whatever methods she used to do it; ie smothering with duct tape.

In some jurisdictions, a lesser included offense doesn't have to be written on a charge sheet. It is automatically included as a listed "lesser included offense" ("LIO"). There is already notice for that defense because it is listed as a lesser included offense. Therefore, the jury could be instructed to decide guilt on an LIO of premeditated murder.

The prosecutors would not have to amend the charge sheet to include an LIO. It is already there, included in the greater charge of premeditated murder.

The citation below is to an article about military law, it is generally applicable. I have not researched Florida state law on this topic.

In a contested criminal trial, the accused may in fact be on trial for more charges than appear on the charge sheet. This may not seem right, or logical, but the law provides that if the judge or the jury finds an accused not guilty of an offense he is charged with, the Court must then deliberate to determine if the accused is guilty of any applicable “lesser included offenses,” which we will refer to in this article as “LIO’s.”
http://www.militarylawyers.org/lesser-included-offense.htm

A little more on "Lesser Included Offenses." The following is language from a Florida Supreme Court opinion, Williams v. Florida May 2007, SC06-594.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/floridastatecases/5_2007/sc06-594.pdf

"The Court recently explained the distinction between necessary and permissive lesser included offenses:​
Lesser included offenses fall into two categories: necessary and permissive. Necessarily lesser included offenses are those offenses in which the statutory elements of the lesser included offense are always subsumed within those of the charged offense. State v. Paul, 934 So. 2d 1167, 1176 (Fla. 2006). A permissive lesser included offense exists when "the two offenses appear to be separate [on the face of the statutes], but the facts alleged in the accusatory pleadings are such that the lesser [included] offense cannot help but be perpetrated once the greater offense has been." State v. Weller, 590 So. 2d 923, 925 n.2 (Fla. 1991).​
Sanders v. State, 944 So. 2d 203, 206 (Fla. 2006) (alteration in original)."

"An instruction on a permissive lesser included offense is appropriate only if the allegations of the greater offense contain all the elements of the lesser offense​
and the evidence at trial would support a verdict on the lesser offense. See Welsh, 850 So. 2d at 470. If an offense meets the criteria for an instruction and verdict choice as either a necessarily or permissive lesser included offense, the State may insist on its inclusion, even over defense objection. See Johnson v. State, 601 So. 2d 219, 220 (Fla. 1992) (holding that State has right to instruction on permissive lesser included offense over defense objection); Gallo v. State, 491 So. 2d 541, 543 (Fla. 1986) (holding that if State declines to consent to defense waiver of instruction on necessarily lesser included offense, waiver is ineffectual and instruction must be given), receded from on other grounds by Gould v. State, 577 So. 2d 1302, 1305 (Fla. 1991)." (Ibid.)

Basically, what this says is Florida does use LIOs, the statute doesn't necessarily contain all of the LIOs of a particular charge, the test is whether the elements for the LIO are also within the list of elements for the greater charge and the defense can't waive the prosecution's right to have the jury instructed on an LIO.

Originally posted [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3987172&postcount=669]here.[/ame]

If, after presentation of all the evidence, the evidence admitted supports a felony murder lesser included offense, the prosecution will make a choice of whether or not to request the instruction. The prosecution might not want to do that if they think the evidence supporting a premeditated murder charge is very clear. Juries like to compromise on things like this and giving them a compromise may or may not be the right legal tactic. The State's Attorney in Orange County will likely be the one to make this decision and not the lead prosecutor.

The standard of "if supported by the evidence" is not such a high bar to reach. It generally means that if there is evidence admitted upon which the jury could make that decision, then it meets the standard. The prosecutor, in making the request, and the judge, who decides whether or not to grant the request, do not themselves have to deliberate on the evidence to see if they would decide this at the beyond a reasonable doubt standard. In fact, the tendency is that if there is evidence that could support a felony murder charge, then they will let it go to the jury. "Support" here is a question of whether or not the evidence exists in the case and has been admitted. Even if that seems to be an unlikely result if the evidence exists in the case it can go to the jury. What we don't know at this point is if there will be evidence admitted in the case that the jury could use to support a felony murder conviction. A big part of that will depend on witness testimony and that hasn't happened yet.

Originally posted [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3987536&postcount=683]here.[/ame]

OK, I just read Knight and some later cases interpreting it and my opinion is:

1) Casey clearly was not charged with felony murder;
2) Knight will allow the State to proceed on that theory at trial anyway;
3) The rule in Knight is very likely unconstitutional but obviously the Florida Supreme Court disagrees so this won't make much difference. ;)

Originally posted [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3987801&postcount=685]here.[/ame]

It's not because of which parts of the statute are listed first. The Florida Supreme Court says it is OK because felony murder is really just like premeditated murder except with a felony instead of premeditation....

If this makes no sense to you, it's not because you're not a lawyer. :)

Originally posted [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3988230&postcount=688]here.[/ame]

In State v. Anderson, (FL January 19, 2003), the defendant argued that he was denied his rights when he had been charged with Capital Murder 1 but at the charge conference (when jury instructions are discussed amongst lawyers and judge and which happens immediately before the jury is instructed) the DA threw in Felony murder for kicks.

The FL Supreme Court ruled that the defendant had not shown any reason to recede from Knight, and found the defendant's argument to have no merit.

So, yes, the DA can wait until the charge conference to toss in felony murder and there is no prejudice to the defendant as it is a lesser included charge.

Things may have changed in 6 years, but I can't get the legal sites online here.

Originally posted [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3988940&postcount=690]here.[/ame]

There have been no changes according to my cite-check.

Originally posted [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3990710&postcount=692]here.[/ame]

Just thinking here. I saw your earlier post regarding possible US Constitutional issues with Florida's history by case law of allowing felony murder instructions to be given even though it is not technically a lesser included offense of premeditated murder. I also see those issues. But, it seems that this is allowed because the independent felony, like felony aggravated child abuse or one of the other listed felonies, is also on the charge sheet. Therefore, this in combination with the premeditated murder charge does appear that it would take care of those US Constitutional concerns of due process (including lack of sufficient notice and right to trial on that charge and its elements) and the related concerns of right to counsel (who has to have a chance to be competent and prepared). :waitasec: So, maybe if it is limited to when both premeditated murder and the specific felony are both on the same charge sheet, it could pass constitutional muster. Other than that, it would appear there could be problems.

Originally posted [ame=http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3990757&postcount=693]here.[/ame]

This issue has gone to the Florida Supreme court several times and the convictions have been upheld as long as the aggravating felony was on the indictment. In the cases where it was not on the indictment they did not allow the alternative finding of felony murder. In the cases where it was included the court found (repeatedly) that the defendant's ability to defend themselves was not impeded and the conviction stood.

The other issue that came up in Florida was that the jury did not have to a cohesive group when it came to felony murder or premeditated murder. The jury could be completely split on that issue and still come back with a capital conviction. That has been challenged to the Florida Supreme Courts repeatedly and the convictions have been upheld on that issue.

(red added for emphasis of impatientredhead's important observation.)

My point in bringing all of these posts to this thread is: Don't take just my word for it. The lawyers on this forum seem to all agree about the correct interpretation of applicable Florida law. Some may disagree with the law, or question the law, as did AZLawyer but it is the framework within which KC will be tried.

Thanks, lin, for your patience and thoroughness in compiling all of this for us!

Didn't they reinstate the death penalty AFTER they found Caylee's body? I'd imagine they dropped the death penalty because they didn't have the body, and once they found it, BINGO, they saw the duct tape, and put the death penalty back ON. Just my guess.

Snip....
ETA: also can someone post the actual charges that she faces now? Just the ones regarding caylee, not the check fraud and all that.
TIA.

She has been charged with:
782.04…… 1 a 1 = First Degree Murder ........."Johnson v. State, 969 So. 2d 938, 951 (Fla. 2007) ("Premeditation can be inferred from circumstantial evidence such as 'the nature of the weapon used, the presence or absence of adequate provocation, previous difficulties between the parties, the manner in which the homicide was committed, and the nature and manner of the wounds inflicted."
827.03…… 2-5=Aggravated Child Abuse .......Medical Examiner Opinion: "Considering the dispersal of the skeletal remains, it would not be expected to find the mandible in this position unless something affixed the mandible in this position prior to decomposition and the hair matting forming. In skeletal cases involving surface depositions, the mandible and cranium are normally found disarticulated because there is nothing to hold the mandible in place after the soft tissues decomposes. Based on the position of the tape and mandible, it can be inferred that the mandible remained in this position because the tape held it in place prior to the hair forming into a matt on the base of the skull."
782.07…… 3=Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child
827.03…….3=Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child
837.055=Providing False Information

Sorry, I have a killer cold (or H1N1?) or I'd check myself, but can someone remind me if the 4 charges for providing false information to LE will be tried at the same time as the murder and aggravated abuse charges?

TYIA

Just to clarify it is important to note that first degree felony murder is not considered a lesser charge to premediated murder. I would then think that the state would have to ask for it specifically to be considered by the jury.
I wonder why the state did not charge her with it specifically. It just seems like an easier charge to prove.

ETA: also can someone post the actual charges that she faces now? Just the ones regarding caylee, not the check fraud and all that.
TIA.

The evidence and circumstances in this case do not lend themselves to simultaneous charges of both premeditated murder and first-degree felony murder. Given the evidence in this case and the circumstances that we know of, prosecutors would need to offer two incongruent thoeries to the jury; i.e., prosecutors would offer one theory would to the jury for the premeditated murder charge and also offer another and much different theory to the jury for a first-degree, felony murder charge.

By offering the jury two entirely different theories, prosecutors would be arguing against themselves by necessarily admitting they don't know what transpired in a large way -- prosecutors don't know what transpired but are not dumb enough to necessarily admit that truth by presenting two incongruent theories to the jury.

A case where the evidence might well provide for a simultaneous murder one charge and a felony murder charge would be if a killing occurred in a robbery and all the evidence pointed to but one clear suspect and/or that person admitted to the robbery. In such a case, a simultaneous murder one charge and a first-degree felony murder charge would simply allow the jury to decide if the victim was killed to facilitate the robbery or if the robbery was underway and the victim resisted or tried to intervene and was killed as a result.

HTH

They added the DOP after the remains were found. They may know something that wasn't released.

Or, there is that informal report that Dr. G wrote.

My guess is that it's about the duct tape.

The evidence and circumstances in this case do not lend themselves to simultaneous charges of both premeditated murder and first-degree felony murder. Given the evidence in this case and the circumstances that we know of, prosecutors would need to offer two incongruent thoeries to the jury; i.e., prosecutors would offer one theory would to the jury for the premeditated murder charge and also offer another and much different theory to the jury for a first-degree, felony murder charge.

By offering the jury two entirely different theories, prosecutors would be arguing against themselves by necessarily admitting they don't know what transpired in a large way -- prosecutors don't know what transpired but are not dumb enough to necessarily admit that truth by presenting two incongruent theories to the jury.

A case where the evidence might well provide for a simultaneous murder one charge and a felony murder charge would be if a killing occurred in a robbery and all the evidence pointed to but one clear suspect and/or that person admitted to the robbery. In such a case, a simultaneous murder one charge and a first-degree felony murder charge would simply allow the jury to decide if the victim was killed to facilitate the robbery or if the robbery was underway and the victim resisted or tried to intervene and was killed as a result.

HTH

I'm guessing the state feels that it can prove that the tape was placed pre-mortem. That's aggravated child abuse, and would make it murder I, based on Caylee's age.

HTH
Interesting.
but imo felony murder is moot at this point because:
1. we do not know if the SA is even going to ask for it to be instructed
2. Not a current charge
3. not a lesser charge ( i know some of the atty's that have weighed in have referred to as a lesser charge, but I do not agree with that)

IIRC, this was a DP case from last October. There was great discussion as to the fact that JB was not DP-qualified, hence the importation from Miami area of TL, the attorney who made the initial plea to have the DP removed around last November. He put together a brief that postulated if Caylee were indeed deceased, it most likely happened as an accident from a drug overdose and that the killer/defendant was suffering from a depressive disorder such as PPD. He included several family photos of KC as a child and also brief accounts of other females who had been on trial for killing their children.

After he submitted this brief/motion/whatever, the SA did indeed remove the DP from the table. Although Caylee's body was recovered in December, I believe the DP went back into the charges this past April after all of the forensics had been returned.

Even without the body, the SA had enough confidence in the charge to have included it after the GJ proceedings and before Caylee's remains were discovered, which makes me wonder what the initial DP charge may have hinged upon.

Wudge, I would like your opinion on this post by Impatientredhead, brought here today by Lin.

TIA

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3990757&postcount=693"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Procedure and legal questions[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member