GUILTY **Baumgartner Arrested**3 armour veh. guards killed, 1 critical, Alberta Univ.

Hey, -nt-, remember the DP in Canada thread? He's another guy I should have brought up. Do you think this guy will get LWOP?

I'm not sure if this is the latest thread....but Baumgartner was sentenced today to 40 years without parole!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Long+trail+victims+left+killer+wake/8900837/story.html

It is devastating to read about the families of his victims. So many lives affected and he apparently has shown no remorse. All for $400,000.

I found the most devastating statement came from the only victim that survived the shooting:

“People say I am one of the lucky ones. I can promise you, most days it doesn’t feel like that. I don’t feel lucky that I lived and they all died.”

The statement detailed Schuman’s extensive physical injuries and the long recovery ahead of him.

“This is not a life I ever would have imagined, or wished on anyone. And now it is mine to deal with, thanks to you.”

This breaks my heart. :cry:

I worry about when he's released. He'll be 62 - still young enough to do some serious harm to whoever he feels like hurting.

I worry about when he's released. He'll be 62 - still young enough to do some serious harm to whoever he feels like hurting.

I agree, but if we compare it to Karla Homolka's sentence, well, she only got a slap on the wrist. She was out in no time.

Heck, Russell Williams can technically be released in 25 years, and he tortured his victims before killing them. His motive was purely personal 'pleasure'.

40 years is pretty much unheard of in Canada.

Such a severe sentence is only possible because of new law passed in December 2011, The Protecting Canadians by Ending Sentence Discounts for Multiple Murders Act.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Baumgartner+faces+unprecedented+sentence+life+prison+parole+years/8895181/story.html

Taking note of TB's POF profile.
http://www.windsorstar.com/news/uni...gartner+caught+near+border/6796217/story.html
JANA G. PRUDEN AND MANISHA KRISHNAN, Edmonton Journal 06.17.2012

The 21-year-old describes himself on the Plenty of Fish dating website as “very laid-back,” a “people person” who is easy to get to know, and behaves like “a gentlemen” (sic) on dates. His profile runs with the caption “I’m a great guy, we don’t come along very often.”

But some of Baumgartner’s posts on social media paint a very different picture.
A June 5 post on Twitter reads: “Crosses to burn, axes to fall and down on your knees you don’t look so tall,” a lyric from the Billy Talent song, Viking Death March.
On Thursday, in the hours before the shooting, Baumgartner quoted the Joker from the movie The Dark Knight, tweeting: “One night she grabs a kitchen knife to defend herself, now he doesn’t like that ... not ... one ... bit.”
Baumgartner lived in a Sherwood Park bungalow with his mother, Sandra. She issued a public plea on Friday for her son to surrender to police.
He graduated from Bev Facey High School in Sherwood Park in 2009.

Orlando shooting suspect worked for same firm as Travis Baumgartner
http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/2016/06/13/orlando-shooting-suspect-worked-for-g4s.html

June 13 2016
The suspect in Sunday’s massacre at a gay Orlando club worked for the same company as a man who killed three people in Edmonton while on the job in 2012.

Omar Mateen was employed by London-based G4S as a security guard in Florida when he went on a killing spree Sunday morning at Pulse nightclub, leaving 49 people dead and more than 50 wounded.

Almost exactly four years earlier, on June 15, 2012, Travis Baumgartner was with four G4S co-workers servicing an ATM at the University of Alberta’s Hub Mall when he turned a gun on them.

Jackie Carmichael
Published Dec 10, 2023
''Just after midnight on the anniversary of the three killings, the Ilesics light a candle at the site, and say a prayer.

Baumgartner, then 21, was later arrested at the border crossing between Aldergrove, B.C., and Lynden, Wash., as he tried to cross into the United States with $330,000 in cash. Court heard he shot three of his G4S Cash Solutions colleagues in the head as they stood with their backs to him.

An Edmonton judge sentenced him in September 2013 to life in prison with no chance of parole for 40 years for killing Ilesic, 35, Michelle Shegelski, 26, and Edgardo Rejano, 39. Guard Matthew Schuman survived.

“Brian had no chance, and the person he would have trusted to keep all of them safe betrayed them all,” Dianne said.''

''A beautifully painted mural spans the doorway to the University of Alberta’s HUB mall. It predates the horrific crime, depicting the settlement and exploitation of Alberta: the fur trade, the oil business. And in the middle section, a man in a suit grabs a briefcase stuffed with money. The subject is surrounded by cash.

The Ilesics get it — it’s a business school, and a striking piece of art that relates to commerce and profit, in place since 1999. But they find the piece disturbing, with its message of a big cash grab, right by the ATM where their 35-year-old son, the father of one, lost his life on Father’s Day weekend to a thief and killer he trusted.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back