The Grim Sleeper. Update: Arrest in the Grim Sleeper Case!

'Grim Sleeper' photos: LAPD gets hundreds of calls, e-mails from the public

LATimes
December 17, 2010 | 11:45 am

"A day after releasing photographs of women that belonged to Lonnie Franklin, Jr., the alleged "Grim Sleeper" serial killer, the Los Angeles Police Department has been inundated with phone calls and e-mails from the public.

"The information coming in is voluminous," said Det. Dennis Kilcoyne, who headed the task force that tracked down Franklin. According to Kilcoyne, officers have fielded "several hundred phone calls," while e-mails and text messages have been flooding in through various accounts and tip hotlines the department uses."

and

"Kilcoyne said detectives have already had phone conversations with a handful of people claiming they were relatives of women pictured in the photographs and that they had either been missing for years or had been the victim of unsolved murders.

"We will make sure we sit down across from anyone like that and have a face-to-face conversation to make sure we do everything possible to figure out what happened," Kilcoyne said. "Right now, my goal is just to sort all the information coming in, organize it and in the days to come we'll start meeting with people.""

more ...

Looking at each of those photo's last night was chilling...to think possibly each one of those women may have had no clue as their pictures were taken what would happen next.

The pictures of the few who had their eyes shut as if asleep gave me chills thinking if these were taken of them indeed asleep, drugged or dead.

My heart goes out to the families of any of those women who may have fallen victim to this beast...but, at least they will finally have some closure.

Personally, I'm not sure if discovering what their loved one's final fate actually was would be a closure but, actually the beginning to have to deal with their loss all over again.

'Grim Sleeper' photos: Five women tentatively identified as tips flood into LAPD

LA Times
December 17, 2010 | 12:19 pm

They keep updating:

"The Los Angeles Police Department has tentatively identified five of the scores of woman whose photos were found in the possession of the "Grim Sleeper" serial killer suspect, according to Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck.

"I cannot give you an update on their well-being or status," Beck said, adding officers were trying to locate the women. He said tentative identifications were based on tips from the public.

The department has received hundreds of calls and e-mails since it released the photos to the public on Thursday. Beck said the photos have received at least 8 million page views on various media and law enforcement websites."

more...

Grim Sleeper suspect's attorney criticizes LAPD for releasing photos of women

December 18, 2010 | 8:14 am

Louisa Pensanti, the attorney for Lonnie Franklin Jr criticized Los Angeles police for releasing scores of photos of women found in Franklin's possession. She says they are not part of discovery in the case against him and that some of the photos are of his family and friends.

""The photographs include members and friends of the Franklin family, all now subject to the intense scrutiny of the public as well as the police," she wrote.

An LAPD source told The Times that detectives had asked Franklin's family to review the photos before they were publicly released so that ones of his family and friends could be removed. But the source said officials got not no reply to their requests. It's unclear whether Pensanti has now asked that any photos specifically be removed."

There is more ...

Grim Sleeper suspect's attorney criticizes LAPD for releasing photos of women

December 18, 2010 | 8:14 am

Louisa Pensanti, the attorney for Lonnie Franklin Jr criticized Los Angeles police for releasing scores of photos of women found in Franklin's possession. She says they are not part of discovery in the case against him and that some of the photos are of his family and friends.

""The photographs include members and friends of the Franklin family, all now subject to the intense scrutiny of the public as well as the police," she wrote.

An LAPD source told The Times that detectives had asked Franklin's family to review the photos before they were publicly released so that ones of his family and friends could be removed. But the source said officials got not no reply to their requests. It's unclear whether Pensanti has now asked that any photos specifically be removed."

There is more ...

Well, them it seems to me that if Franklin's family & friends are upset...then they should address that with the beast not LE...sheesh!

In fairness, it is the lawyer for the accused speaking, and not specifically the family and friends. The attorney is doing her job, looking out for her client, protecting his right to a fair trial.

Nowhere in the article does it say that the family and friends are upset. They might be, but it doesn't say that.

This makes me wonder what other areas of the country the Grim Sleeper has visited. We know he has lived in SoCal for years, but do we know where he vacations, travels, etc.

If his whereabouts can be traced beyond LA, it would not surprise me if he can be traced to abductions and missing persons in other areas of the country.

I have tried searching the web for articles, but haven't found any yet.

As awful as the pictures are, I am glad people can see and ID them.
If I had been searching for a loved one, this would help me know if she was his victim or not.

If I was his attorney I might be more disturbed about the release of the photos that are not family and friends since there is a chance they could be identified as further victims. I imagine it's difficult enough to defend someone for ten murders.

Hello,

I am producing "Dancing with Rip" the first movie inspired by the Grim Sleeper, and i would like to be in touch with anyone out there interested in the case.

The facebook page for the film is

http://www.facebook.com/Dancingwithrip

Please stop by there and take a look at our concept pictures and trailer.

Let's also start the discussion about the film here! I look forward to hearing from you.

Les Mahoney
Producer, "Dancing with Rip

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/07/local/la-me-ln-grim-sleeper-dna-evidence-20140107
January 07, 2014|By Paresh Dave
A judge on Tuesday ruled that DNA evidence that led to alleged Grim Sleeper serial killer Lonnie Franklin Jr. was lawfully obtained via plates and utensils seized by a police officer who posed as a restaurant busboy.

Appearing on the stand for the first time, Franklin testified that he was attending a birthday party that day in July 2010 at John's Incredible Pizza in Buena Park with one of his employees and her three daughters when the DNA evidence was gathered.

Looks like Franklin's trial is scheduled for this summer.

The title is misleading and the whole article is confusing. Chester Turner is not the Grim Sleeper.

Former mechanic Lonnie Franklin Jr. has pleaded not guilty to 10 so-called “Grim Sleeper” killings and the attempted murder of another woman that took place between 1985 and 2007.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/06/19/grim-sleeper-convicted-of-killing-4-more-women/

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5309...rial-killer-victims-urge-judge-set-trial-date

Porter Alexander spent more than 20 years wondering if his daughter's killer would ever be caught. He's spent the last four years hoping he'll live to see the man brought to justice.

Alexander, 74, planned to urge a judge Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court to set a trial date for Lonnie Franklin Jr., who is charged with 10 counts of murder in what have been dubbed the "Grim Sleeper" serial killings that spanned two decades.

Prosecutors are citing Marsy's Law, a voter-approved victims' bill of rights that extends the right to a speedy trial — guaranteed for defendants — to family members of victims. It also allows victims to address the court, and Alexander planned to vent his frustration with the system that has allowed the case to languish in court. "Oh, man, I can't count how many times I've been there," he said Thursday. "We're walking into the fifth year."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners
Back