GUILTY FL - Myleahya Woods, 1, home alone, found dead, Bellview, 12 Oct 2009

Christian Woods was described Monday as a loving and doting mother of three who fell on rough times just before she stuffed her dead daughter in a trash can in 2009.

Woods, 23, left her three young children home alone from Oct. 10 to Oct. 12. When she returned, Myleahya Woods, 1, was dead. Woods was charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child.

Woods' family members testified during a two-hour sentencing hearing Monday that she should be treated for depression rather than go to prison for Myleahya's death.

Instead, Judge Terry Terrell sentenced Woods to 15 years in prison and 30 years of probation in the death.

(snip)

http://www.pnj.com/article/20111004...ars-prison?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

I'm glad that she at least got a sentence, but I don't feel that fifteen years was enough. There are some cases where I have pity for the mother when a child dies due to the mother's actions, but this is not one of those cases. For me, I cannot fathom leaving three kids that age alone for even a minute. (I have four at home under the age of five and I won't walk to the front of the house to get the mail unless they are asleep or someone is here to watch them.) And then, after she was already caught, her refusal to admit that another child was dying as she sat there dodging questions...that is where I draw the line on pity. I don't care how hard the times you fell on, it doesn't excuse nor explain how you can discard one child like trash, then be clear headed enough to send a second relatively healthy child to someone else, call the police, file a false report and then sit and talk to the police for 12 hours before you admit that your third child is quite likely dying at that immediate moment. There is no excuse for that. None. And 15 years isn't enough, as she will still be able to breed, potentially, when she gets out.

I'm glad that she at least got a sentence, but I don't feel that fifteen years was enough. There are some cases where I have pity for the mother when a child dies due to the mother's actions, but this is not one of those cases. For me, I cannot fathom leaving three kids that age alone for even a minute. (I have four at home under the age of five and I won't walk to the front of the house to get the mail unless they are asleep or someone is here to watch them.) And then, after she was already caught, her refusal to admit that another child was dying as she sat there dodging questions...that is where I draw the line on pity. I don't care how hard the times you fell on, it doesn't excuse nor explain how you can discard one child like trash, then be clear headed enough to send a second relatively healthy child to someone else, call the police, file a false report and then sit and talk to the police for 12 hours before you admit that your third child is quite likely dying at that immediate moment. There is no excuse for that. None. And 15 years isn't enough, as she will still be able to breed, potentially, when she gets out.

I agree and echo everything you just said. What a terrible case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back