Richard

Reaction score
Alice Mae Vanalstine
Missing since April 2, 1976 from Polk County, Iowa
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 23, 1947
Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 128 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Vanalstine was last seen in Polk County, Iowa on April 2, 1976.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Polk County Sheriff's Office
319-589-4410

Email: PolkCountySheriff@co.polk.ia.us

Source Information:
Iowa DPS Missing Persons Clearinghouse
The Doe Network: Case File 1806DFIA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1806dfia.html

Bump...

missing 32 years today

bumping...

missing 34 years now.

There's more detailed info about Alice's case at: http://www.iowacoldcases.com/alice_vanalstine.html

Downright scary, really.
Somebody at that site sure doesn't like Steve King...

If it was an assassination, why did she leave her car door open with the keys of the ignition. Those details make it look like whomever got her caught her while she was going to her car, but as noted, she didn't have a jacket or her purse. Was she trying to flee? If so, why would she abandon her children instead of calling the police? Was the door to her apartment closed and locked behind her?

April 2nd will mark the 35 year anniversary of Alice's disappearance.

Saw this case on Iowa Cold Cases and clicked her picture because she looks strikingly similar to my grandmother when she was younger.

I'm leaning towards the most obvious answer and that is, that her husband and the Minutemen had something to do with her disappearance. She seems to have known a lot about it and allowed them to store their illegal stuff on her property (according to her sworn statement), so when she didn't want to be apart of it anymore, they felt she knew too much. With the key in the ignition, I'm thinking the perpetrator in some way incapacitated her and wanted to make a getaway so they got her car keys but decided against it.

Very interesting case.

I wonder if they took her away in the car and brought it back so they could drive the car they arrived in away? No need to remove the keys or close the door if that were the case?

I wonder if anyone has looked into the links between Steve King, the Iowa Congressman, and the Iowa Minutemen? Now that the organisation is 'in the open' he is a strong supporter, attending Minutemen events. It would be unusual if his sympathies suddenly emerged in his middle and old age. In 1976 he was 29; was he a minuteman at that time? Was he one of the leaders of the Iowa Minutemen in the 70s? From 1975 he owned a construction company. If he was working with the Minutemen at that time such a set up would have been very useful. He also came from an LE background, which could have been similarly useful.

I do not know if King was active in the 70s but when I see a prominent individual with close ties to an organisation of interest and who is the right age and lived in the right place at the right time to be relevant to the matter of interest - then I say they are worth a closer look.

This April will mark 43 years since Alice went missing.

AMVanalstine.jpg
AVanalstine1.jpg

Alice Mae Van Alstine
Missing since April 2, 1976 from Polk County, Iowa
Classification: Involuntary

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: May 23, 1947
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 28 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 128 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Circumstances of Disappearance
VanAlstine was last seen in Polk County, Iowa on April 2, 1976.

VanAlstine, of 4375 N.E. Twenty-ninth Street was last seen by her children before they went to bed.

Her 6-year-old son told officers that when he got up Saturday morning, his mother was not there. Neighbors reported her missing two days later.

Her purse and money were found in the apartment, and she'd also disappeared without her coat or shoes. Investigators found Alice's car door open, the keys in the ignition.

Detectives said the disappearance was mysterious because, based on interviews with her friends and relatives, VanAlstine was very close to her family, and a good mother. VanAlstine is divorced.

She was a former "Minutemen" sympathizer who'd recently abandoned the right-wing paramilitary organization.

Foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Polk County Sheriff's Office
319-589-4410

Source Information:
Iowa DPS Missing Persons Clearinghouse
Iowa Cold Cases
The Doe Network

LINK:

www.doenetwork.org/cases/1806dfia.html

I am always concerned when persons of interest in cases seem to have political connections. In 2016 it seems that Lee Andre was involved in the Jeb Bush campaign (see Nov. 11, 2015 - Jeb Bush Iowa Veterans Coalition ). Assuming this is the same Lee Andre you wonder what sort of checks politicians make when associating with people who have been accused of involvement in a case like this and who are, at the very least, violent wife beaters. It makes you wonder how much effort has been made to pursue the case when an Iowa congressman is a minuteman supporter and a Presidential candidate thinks Andre is fit to represent him to the veteran community.

I am always concerned when persons of interest in cases seem to have political connections. In 2016 it seems that Lee Andre was involved in the Jeb Bush campaign (see Nov. 11, 2015 - Jeb Bush Iowa Veterans Coalition ). Assuming this is the same Lee Andre you wonder what sort of checks politicians make when associating with people who have been accused of involvement in a case like this and who are, at the very least, violent wife beaters. It makes you wonder how much effort has been made to pursue the case when an Iowa congressman is a minuteman supporter and a Presidential candidate thinks Andre is fit to represent him to the veteran community.
If Jeb Bush's campaign had gone deeper in the primaries then I am sure someone would have picked up on it and brought it to everyone's attention.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back