KY KY - Officer Jason Ellis, 33, Bardstown, 25 May 2013

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
BARDSTOWN, Ky —The fatal roadside shooting of a Kentucky police officer was premeditated and authorities are asking for the public's help in finding suspects, a police spokesman said Sunday.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news.../20310942/-/rchi8g/-/index.html#ixzz2UXjhqq1m

LE would like the public's help.

Just a note of interest, we also have a missing Jason Ellis, age 20, from Indianapolis. He has been missing since Dec. 2006. Probably not related - just interesting.

Salem

Thanks so much for posting this, Salem!

I've been stewing over this horrible case for a couple of days. I think two of the most important aspects of this are the fact that 1.)it was clearly an ambush, and 2.)this was originally called in as a car crash (and although the above article doesn't state this, other articles I've read have stated that it was called in as a fatal car crash).

This brings up several questions for me. Was Officer Ellis the target? Or was LE a target in general? It seems unlikely to me that whoever did this intended to target any random passing motorist, as I feel most people would be unlikely to stop and remove the debris from the road. It seems more likely that a member of LE would stop to remove the debris and I think the perpetrator knew this. Also, if Officer Ellis was not the intended target, is there a risk of this happening again?

I also wish we had more information about the phone call. It seems odd to me that it would be called in as a car crash. Shouldn't it have been apparent that there was no damage to his cruiser? I suppose in the dark, and the panic of finding an officer down, things could have been confusing, I just wish LE was saying more about the call/if they ruled out those who made it of involvement.

Just happened to find this....

Live: Slain Ky. officer's wife speaks

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news...ks/-/9837878/20325734/-/1563awwz/-/index.html

Looks like it's starting soon...it's 10:34ET now....somebody came out and said she didn't want to stand and they are moving the podium....

......That was hard to watch....she was basically thanking everyone for support and answering questions about her husband...

Thanks so much for posting this, Salem!

I've been stewing over this horrible case for a couple of days. I think two of the most important aspects of this are the fact that 1.)it was clearly an ambush, and 2.)this was originally called in as a car crash (and although the above article doesn't state this, other articles I've read have stated that it was called in as a fatal car crash).

This brings up several questions for me. Was Officer Ellis the target? Or was LE a target in general? It seems unlikely to me that whoever did this intended to target any random passing motorist, as I feel most people would be unlikely to stop and remove the debris from the road. It seems more likely that a member of LE would stop to remove the debris and I think the perpetrator knew this. Also, if Officer Ellis was not the intended target, is there a risk of this happening again?

I also wish we had more information about the phone call. It seems odd to me that it would be called in as a car crash. Shouldn't it have been apparent that there was no damage to his cruiser? I suppose in the dark, and the panic of finding an officer down, things could have been confusing, I just wish LE was saying more about the call/if they ruled out those who made it of involvement.

My thoughts exactly. It seems like they are really skirting around the fact that this "originally came in as a traffic accident." Its like they just glossed over it on purpose. That usually means they have SOMETHING regarding that fact that they are keeping mum about. It HAS to be the key to this.

I would tend to think if this was absolutely personal to him himself (rather than an attack on LE in general) and the killer knew him and planned it out, it seems awful risky to do this while he's on duty and absolutely armed without knowing if he's wearing a vest...Idk I think i'd rather wait until he'd be a little more off guard. But killers are morons anyway!

This is really upsetting. Bardstown isn't a huge town and the town that Ofc. Ellis lives in is even smaller. I use this same exit frequently and it made my stomach drop when I drove onto it yesterday. I find it very odd that he didnt have his K9 with him and that be was driving a pool car rather than his regular cruiser. I also want to know why the cruiser he was in wasnt equipped with surveillance equipment on the dash. A lot of people are saying it sounds like an inside job, but it could also just as easily be random. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369776646.519855.jpg

This is the first article I've seen where Chief McCubbins states that Ofc. Ellis was the intended target of the ambush. http://www.courier-journal.com/arti...ng-people-chief-believes-Jason-Ellis-targeted

This is why I am leaning more toward it being a personal attack against him. Based on this article/what the Chief said during the press conference today makes it seem like they are pretty confident that this was directed specifically at Officer Ellis and not any other LE Officer or the general public.

So the question now is, was this something related to his personal life, or someone he previously arrested/a family member of someone he arrested?

My thoughts exactly. It seems like they are really skirting around the fact that this "originally came in as a traffic accident." Its like they just glossed over it on purpose. That usually means they have SOMETHING regarding that fact that they are keeping mum about. It HAS to be the key to this.

I would tend to think if this was absolutely personal to him himself (rather than an attack on LE in general) and the killer knew him and planned it out, it seems awful risky to do this while he's on duty and absolutely armed without knowing if he's wearing a vest...Idk I think i'd rather wait until he'd be a little more off guard. But killers are morons anyway!

I'm thinking more and more that this was personal to Officer Ellis as well. That means however, that whoever did this is either familiar with his schedule and routine, or spent a lot of time recently to figure it out.

I actually agree that killers are morons, but I'm sad to say I think this killer picked the perfect opportunity. Late at night, Officer Ellis is at the end of his shift, probably tired and wanting to get home, he probably wasn't his most vigilant. Plus at that hour the perpetrator knew he could get settled on the hill and just wait without being spotted. Honestly though, the way this was set up, I don't think Officer Ellis ever had a chance, even if he'd had a chance to get his revolver out of the holster, and that is one of the many reasons this case is really bothering me.

I'd read somewhere that he was due in court this wk to appear as an arresting officer..but I'm not positive what the case was related to. I'd also heard some people talking about a local group of idiots that refer to themselves as BMG (bardstown money gang,) who could've had some type of involvement. Personally, they're a bunch of hs drop outs who rob old people for drug money...and I don't think they're savvy enough to pull something like that off.

I'm thinking more and more that this was personal to Officer Ellis as well. That means however, that whoever did this is either familiar with his schedule and routine, or spent a lot of time recently to figure it out.

I actually agree that killers are morons, but I'm sad to say I think this killer picked the perfect opportunity. Late at night, Officer Ellis is at the end of his shift, probably tired and wanting to get home, he probably wasn't his most vigilant. Plus at that hour the perpetrator knew he could get settled on the hill and just wait without being spotted. Honestly though, the way this was set up, I don't think Officer Ellis ever had a chance, even if he'd had a chance to get his revolver out of the holster, and that is one of the many reasons this case is really bothering me.

Yes you could be right there! I'd have to agree.

You're right. He was at a disadvantage from the beginning, regardless of whether or not he had the chance of drawing the weapon. What bothers me is the location bc that late at night, that particular ramp wouldn't be busy. On top of that, when you first get on the ramp, it curved and gets more narrow surrounded by rock walls, so unless you're coming onto the ramp, you wouldn't be able to see his car from the highway. It's almost terrifying really. On top of that, the shooter was standing on the wall, shooting down. He/she could've been parked on the highway or even the bridge at the top of the ramp that leads to more less traveled back roads through Bloomfield. There's honestly no telling where he was. I took some pics the other day...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369793293.353876.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369793307.971612.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369793317.037413.jpg

Why was Ellis taking this exit on his way home? Wouldn't he take 62?

I read that this was his usual route home after work. However, I'm not sure where he lived. I thought I'd read that he attended Bloomfield Baptist church so I assumed he lived in Bloomfield. However, he's being buried in Chaplin, which is northern Nelson Co, close to Taylorsville Lake, which would also make sense that he'd use that exit.

Why was Ellis taking this exit on his way home? Wouldn't he take 62?

I just did a quick search of him and it looks like he did live in Bloomfield not far from the Bluegrass Pkwy. Personally, coming from Bardstown to where I live in Taylorsville, I'd rather take the highway too because the back roads are bad at night. They're curvy and not as fast.

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/...-Bardstown-Officer-Jason-Ellis-209281561.html

Because of Ellis being the first Bardstown city police officer to be killed while in uniform, they are thinking of ways to honor him, one of which is to retire his K-9.

"We will probably dedicate that to the family. His young boys have grown up with the dog and on behalf of the family, that's their one last connection to the Bardstown Police Department," said Mayor Sheckles.

That is such a wonderful idea imo. I hope they solve this soon. It must be very tense there right now. RIP Officer Ellis.

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/...-Bardstown-Officer-Jason-Ellis-209281561.html

That is such a wonderful idea imo. I hope they solve this soon. It must be very tense there right now. RIP Officer Ellis.

I agree. I think it's a great idea. I was wondering what they'd do with the dog bc they're basically like family. I'm sure those two little boys couldn't stand to lose their family pet on top of what they're going through. It's definitely really tense there right now. It's such a small community and it's amazing to see how united they all were today for the funeral and procession afterward. They've raised 100k for his reward so far.

Is Amy Ellis a stay-at-home mom, or does she work? I'd like to know more about her and her circle of friends and associates.

I am originally from Elizabethtown and pretty familiar with Bardstown. I was under the impression he was on his way home and there was debris in the road leading up the ramp and that when he got out of cruiser the shooter was at the top and shot him. So was it an accident that was called in with debris left over from the accident? Just curious.

You're right. He was at a disadvantage from the beginning, regardless of whether or not he had the chance of drawing the weapon. What bothers me is the location bc that late at night, that particular ramp wouldn't be busy. On top of that, when you first get on the ramp, it curved and gets more narrow surrounded by rock walls, so unless you're coming onto the ramp, you wouldn't be able to see his car from the highway. It's almost terrifying really. On top of that, the shooter was standing on the wall, shooting down. He/she could've been parked on the highway or even the bridge at the top of the ramp that leads to more less traveled back roads through Bloomfield. There's honestly no telling where he was. I took some pics the other day...View attachment 34449View attachment 34450View attachment 34451

So basically you would need to be a good marksman, but not necessarily a sniper.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back