GUILTY GA - Eight family members brutally murdered in Brunswick home, 29 Aug 2009

Since there is absolutely no information coming out about this case I really have nothing to add.

Hopefully by the end of next year the trial will be held.

Sure wish there was something new to discuss.

I miss posting with all of you on this case.

Maybe there will be another pre-trial hearing at the first of the year that will give us a glimpse at possible new information.

God bless all the victims and may justice be done.

I thought the pre-trial was on for May 25th 2011.

I actually want to go for that but I dont want to travel for just that so I am hoping for a reason to HAVE to go into the state anyway.

I actually want to go for that but I don't want to travel for just that so I am hoping for a reason to HAVE to go into the state anyway.

OMG! That far away huh?

Well maybe they are having it later in the year because the Judge will learn how close they are to trial time.

She may set a trial date in the May hearing.

I think you will really like Brunswick if you come down for the trial, Soul. It really is a quaint historic town. Jekyll Island is close by too, in case you have never been there.

It would be great if you could attend. You could give us a daily recap on what was learned.

Thanks for the hearing info.

See I did learn something new after all.:crazy: lol

I just looked up the Christopher Barrios case which was also in Brunswick, Georgia. I am using this case because of location and also because it also was a death penalty case.

Christopher was raped and murdered in March 2007 and the first trial for one of the suspects was held in April 2009.

So I am guessing that this trial will be held somewhere around September of 2011.

IMO

I have thought about attending the trial myself. I don't know how realistic that is. The Court room is only so large. Do people line up to go to an open criminal trial. There is also the issue of how many days it is likely to last. Just a thought right now - Greg

I actually want to go for that but I dont want to travel for just that so I am hoping for a reason to HAVE to go into the state anyway.

I think I have the date wrong as I went looking for a link but I am not sure it is wrong yet. He had a court date may 25 of this year. I will keep looking as I marked it as a pretrial date. I had to get it from somewhere.

Greg I agree with you. I thought about that too I dont know if people line up or not but my sister is taking some pre law classes so I have her talked into going we just need a firm dates.
I know there is a huge chance that I couldnt get in or they could close to the public and it could last days I think it to be worth it as long as the other reasons firms up.

I think I have the date wrong as I went looking for a link but I am not sure it is wrong yet. He had a court date may 25 of this year. I will keep looking as I marked it as a pretrial date. I had to get it from somewhere.

Greg I agree with you. I thought about that too I don't know if people line up or not but my sister is taking some pre law classes so I have her talked into going we just need a firm dates.
I know there is a huge chance that I couldn't get in or they could close to the public and it could last days I think it to be worth it as long as the other reasons firms up.

Mark my word. lol The Judge is never going to close the courtroom from the public or the media. For that to be done the defense attorney would have to come up with a valid reason why allowing the public in would constitute Jr not getting a fair trial. Imo, she is a firm believer in open trials.

Usually Georgia cases do not take that long. Well not as long as others that I have seen in other states.

I would say maybe 2 weeks for the guilt/ innocence phase. I have seen murder trials in Georgia tried in three days but most of them weren't death penalty cases, which tend to take longer.

Maybe someone could research the old articles concerning the Barrios case. It was high profile and the reporters should have written in their articles somewhere if there was a packed courtroom or not during the trial.

I am just not sure that this case will draw as many as we think into the courtroom. Sadly, sometimes if the victims' aren't pillars of the community everyone else goes on about their business when the trial commences...unless if involves the murder of a young child.

I really wish this trial would be televised by IS or at least one of the major Jacksonville Florida news sites would carry it live on line.

IMO

Overcrowding in the court system is a real problem in Glynn County.

"Fast tracking the non violent"

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2010-11-06/story/criminal-cases-fast-track-glynn-county

Not only overcrowding but the lack of funds to take care of so many in jail awaiting trial that cant make bond or no bond was set.

I have always thought it was really advantageous to the state and to the defendant to do plea deals.... if the defendant is accepting guilt, of course.

The system doesn't make sense sometimes. They will keep the non violent offenders in prison yet let some of the murderers, rapists and pedophiles back out on the street. California not too long ago was planning to dump pedophiles and rapists back out on the street due to overcrowding.

Maybe with the DA willing to plea non violent cases down it will mean he can concentrate on the serious crimes in his community......such as this one, and get it to trial sooner.

IMO

Hi,

It's been a while. I haven't lost interest and have been following a few threads here and elsewhere, but it's tough with so little news to make an intelligent comment. I'm only a couple of hours from Brunswick and unemployed so I might be able to commute for a trial. I'm thinking about it. I don't have any connection to tourism, but May is beautiful in the SC, GA border area along the coast so if your tempted to come down, do it!

Alright, I'm actually retired. :blushing:

Glad you posted anyway. I'm retired as well and caught up enough in this case to perhaps attend. I sent away to the Board of Tourism and got some good information. It looks like a beautiful place. High end and low end places to stay. The Courthouse seems to be just a few blocks from the Glynn County Detention Center.
Nothing about the case in the papers, Jacksonville.com ( the most consistent source of information) or anywhere on line. Just Silence.
Hi,

It's been a while. I haven't lost interest and have been following a few threads here and elsewhere, but it's tough with so little news to make an intelligent comment. I'm only a couple of hours from Brunswick and unemployed so I might be able to commute for a trial. I'm thinking about it. I don't have any connection to tourism, but May is beautiful in the SC, GA border area along the coast so if your tempted to come down, do it!

Alright, I'm actually retired. :blushing:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...ze-jr-opposes-defense-lawyers-withdrawal-case

At last, some news!

I'm not sure how smart it is for Heinze to be trying to hold on to counsel who wishes not to represent him. Seems like it might foster some resentment and he apparently has adequate other representation.

This was filed in court papers. I have to wonder who helped Heinze with the filing, surely not the remaining legal team. Of course there are lots of jailhouse "lawyers" so it may be one of those things. Wonder when next hearing is.

The lead attorney in this case is being re-assigned to their Atlanta office. Guy Heinze (rightly) is objecting. It sounds like the judge will have a hearing on it early in 2011

It seems unfair to transfer the Lead attorney to another of the same office? He has been preparing for a year.

y Teresa Stepzinski

BRUNSWICK - Guy Heinze Jr., who faces the death penalty if convicted of murdering his father and seven others last year, is asking a judge to force his lead defense lawyer to stay on his case.

Joseph W. Vigneri of the Georgia Capital Defender's Office has asked Chief Superior Court Judge Amanda F. Williams to allow him to withdraw from Heinze's legal team - triggering an objection from Heinze, court documents filed Monday show.

A senior staff trial lawyer, Vigneri said in his motion asking to withdraw that he no longer is able to represent Heinze because he was reassigned to capital defender's central office in Atlanta effective Nov. 1.

Vigneri had been working in the defender's Brunswick regional office when he was assigned Heinze's case last year.

The reassignment, Vigneri said, "was based solely on geographic/travel considerations ... and was in no way related to my job performance, either generally or specifically with respect to Mr. Heinze's case."

If Williams grants his withdrawal, then Vigneri's co-counsel, Charles M.J. Nester, who is the supervising attorney for the Brunswick office, will become Heinze's lead lawyer. The defense team also will include H. Burton Baker and Newell M. Hamilton, both senior staff trial lawyers, Vigneri said in his motion.

The change won't disrupt Heinze's defense because he's still represented by the defender's office, Vigneri said in a letter notifying Heinze.

Heinze has objected and has asked Williams to hold a hearing on the matter. Neither Heinze nor Vigneri specified Heinze's objections in the court documents filed Monday.

Vigneri asserts the law requires Williams to listen to Heinze's objections in a hearing closed to prosecutors, the public and news media before ruling.

Williams had not set a hearing date as of Wednesday.

I wonder if there is are different issues going on here. I cant help it.

I dont know that it is unfair to the lawyer or not but it is unfair to Guy Jr.

I hope the motion is declined as the issue seems to be an issue that was not relavent before and nothing seems to have changed other then the lawyers feelings about changing his location to reflect less driving (or related issue) and that he has been doing whatever travel up until this so it is completely possible for him to keep the case and keep driving until the duration of the first trial. IMO(based on what was stated )

I have to side with the lawyer here. There are at least two other lawyers working on the Heinze defense and they have probably done the bulk of the background work. There's no reason to think the new lead isn't just as competent as the lawyer leaving and he has plenty of time to get familiar with the defense.

To ask the departing attorney to put his life on hold is unreasonable and given its about a 4 hr drive from Atlanta to New Brunswick, he probably couldn't do an effective job in either location.

I don't really think anything else is going on here but I have been wrong often before.

Why transfer him to Atlanta after a year preparing for the biggest ( and most complex) murder trial in Georgia's history? This is a capital case.
He was transferred by Jerry Word, Director of the Georgia Capital Defenders. The decision ultimately is not Mr. Words, it is the Judges.
Joseph Vigneri is known to be the best of the criminal attorneys available and therefore Is Lead Attorney in this case. It makes no sense to say another attorney could just pick up the case. This isn't shoplifting we are talking about.

I have been wrong before too ... many times. Have you ever tried to Google any of the lawyers in this case? Just basic information like years of practice, where they went to school, any misconduct, (try Attorney Newell M. Hamilton) Not much information on the others. None at the at Georgia Bar, member listings website.

They were the same way before they tried the Edenfields for murdering and raping Christopher Barrios. I think they are trying to make sure that Jr. gets a fair trial. Even the defense attorney has wanted a lid put on this case.

From the photo I have seen Joe I would make a guesstimate that the home was made sometime in the 70s or maybe early 80s (it has a lot of age on it) and is a 12' or maybe 14' wide by 60 ft or 64ft long, I would think it had two bedrooms on the opposite end from of where the living room, dining area and kitchen was. The hallway would lead off from the living room going to the bedrooms and bathroom.

I am just guessing but it seems to be the typical cheap metal siding small single wide sold back then and when I had my real estate company I sold new mobile home and regular site built homes too but I took a lot of these old trailers in on trade and sold them to hunters that had deer hunting camps.

No they have not revealed where all the victims were found. I imagine most of them were sleeping soundly when it happened and those that may have awaked were trapped and couldn't get past him to run for the entrance door. They probably tried to plead with him not to hurt them or others too. Trying to talk some sense into him.

12 feet is a very narrow space especially with furniture sitting here and there in the way. I think he hemmed them up and they had no weapon. It has been said that he used either a crow bar, tire iron and maybe the butt of a shotgun too. They had nothing to defend themselves with. They knew if they rushed in close to him he could kill them with one blow to the head imo.

This is one of the most horrific crimes I have read about in many years.

IMO

I have just discovered this thread, and have been reading the posts, not going to any of the links as yet.

The first thing that puzzles me is that the 3 year old survived while all the others died. Does this show compassion for a child, or was the perp just worn out?

Also, if they were awake at the time, with only one perp, they would have run on him, because the obvious alternative would be death. The fight or flight instinct would kick in, imo.

Unless someone had a vendeta against this family, the only other motive to my mind is crazy drugged up people. Honestly, it reminds me of the Sharon Tate murder. In that case, there were many murderers.

Does anyone know if anything was missing from the home?
How long did all those people live in that same small home, if they did all live there.
Was any of them just visiting?

As always, the biggest question is "why"
If one can find the why, they can usually find the who.

So much for a speedy trial though, eh?
He waived his right to a speedy trial? Was that sound counsel?

It's an interesting case.
One more thing, why is the child in "foster care" and not with the maternal grandmother? Anyone know?

all moo.

Welcome yosande. You have obviously done a thorough job reading through the thread and are asking the same questions that I and many of us had. Hopefully answers to come.

Joseph Vigneri is known to be the best of the criminal attorneys available and therefore Is Lead Attorney in this case.

I don't want to start an argument, but can you support that?

http://www.herald-review.com/news/local/article_5c24ce76-31ee-5678-9bdb-bc51ae95c6e8.html

Apparently, Mr. Vigneri left private practice to join the Georgia Capital Defender in 2007. Reminds me of Martin Vail in the William Diehl books if you've read them. Maybe he has a similar thirst for justice. Although his career as described above is laudible, I would not describe it as remarkable. Keep it mind he came from Illinois which doesn't even have the death penalty.

http://www.ssristories.com/show.php?item=586

You're right, it is hard to find much information but the above is one case from 2004 involving Nester. Seems competent based on what little is there.

Newell Hamilton is on the team regardless of who heads, so he's not germaine to the question I think.

Again, I respect your views and look forward to your comments. Just trying to level the field as it were.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back