GUILTY UT - Ethan Stacy, 4, Layton, 10 May 2010 - #8

I don't believe Stephanie took Ethan with the intention of murdering him. I think Stephanie took him for two main reasons:

1). Because she could. Because it was a way to hurt Joe. Stephanie getting Ethan for the summer, especially against Joe's greatest fears and wishes- that he made public in a court document- was a 'win' for Stephanie, in Stephanie's mind. It was a big "HA, HA, HA" directed at Joe.

2). Because it was a way for her to get more money. When she thought of Ethan, she thought of dollar signs. I believe she was planning on hitting Joe up for 'child support' (whether official or under the table) during Ethan's summer stay. I believe she was also going to try and get all the government assistance (food stamps, etc., etc.) that she possibly could, and it's much easier to get that state aid if you have a young child.

~ I also believe that when it came time to return Ethan to Joe at the end of Ethan's summer stay, she was going to refuse- unless and until Joe gave her some kind of cash pay-off to return Ethan. In effect, she was planning on making Joe buy back his son. She was going 'to sell' Ethan again.

~ I think there is also a chance that Stephanie had a tiny afterthought reason to take Ethan: to show her 'man', Nathan, what a great 'mommy' she is. Kind of a 'look how great I am, I'm such a good mom and woman' type thing. Like how we are told she presented herself to her former co-workers while she was still married to Joe.

But something went wrong. Something angered her. It was probably something innocuous that set her off- like Ethan referring to Joe's fiancee Becky, or maybe Joe's other ex-wife Michelle, as 'Mommy' in Stephanie's presence. Ethan was only four years old, he was in a new, unfamiliar place and situation with two people he barely knew (who were probably both using drugs, imo), and probably emotionally stressed, which is understandable. For some reason I keep thinking the word 'Mommy' came out of his mouth, and Stephanie was embarrassed in front of Nathan that Ethan didn't mean her.

I wouldn't be surprised if the physical abuse was actually started by Stephanie. She may have slapped Ethan, Ethan would have started crying, and then Nathan, wanting to show his support to, and solidarity with Stephanie, told her to stand back, that he'll "take care of this".

Being the macho guy that Nathan viewed himself as, he took on the roll of 'firm disciplinarian', and took a little 4 year old child into the bedroom, and beat the daylights out of him.

From that point on, the more Ethan cried (and Ethan would have naturally been hysterical after the first beating) the more it would enrage Nathan, and in turn Stephanie.

At some point, they completely stopped seeing Ethan as a child, (if they ever did to begin with), and he simply became their personal little punching bag.
Excellent post. Dead on.

When I look at that photo of sweet angel Ethan having to sit on the couch with the monster NS and try to pretend to enjoy playing video games b/c he's scared out of his wits that he's going to get hurt some more ... it is SO disturbing that first I want to cry and next the rage comes that SS not only did not help her child, she took a freaking picture of him instead and POSTED the picture of his horribly swollen and disfigured jaw.

DEATH PENALTY is too good for them.
Take 'em out back, torture 'em and let them die alone and scared while their parents stand by and refuse to help them.

Arghh I have to go do something else and think happy thoughts now. RIP sweet Ethan.

I don't believe Stephanie took Ethan with the intention of murdering him. I think Stephanie took him for two main reasons:

1). Because she could. Because it was a way to hurt Joe. Stephanie getting Ethan for the summer, especially against Joe's greatest fears and wishes- that he made public in a court document- was a 'win' for Stephanie, in Stephanie's mind. It was a big "HA, HA, HA" directed at Joe.

2). Because it was a way for her to get more money. When she thought of Ethan, she thought of dollar signs. I believe she was planning on hitting Joe up for 'child support' (whether official or under the table) during Ethan's summer stay. I believe she was also going to try and get all the government assistance (food stamps, etc., etc.) that she possibly could, and it's much easier to get that state aid if you have a young child.

~ I also believe that when it came time to return Ethan to Joe at the end of Ethan's summer stay, she was going to refuse- unless and until Joe gave her some kind of cash pay-off to return Ethan. In effect, she was planning on making Joe buy back his son. She was going 'to sell' Ethan again.

~ I think there is also a chance that Stephanie had a tiny afterthought reason to take Ethan: to show her 'man', Nathan, what a great 'mommy' she is. Kind of a 'look how great I am, I'm such a good mom and woman' type thing. Like how we are told she presented herself to her former co-workers while she was still married to Joe.

But something went wrong. Something angered her. It was probably something innocuous that set her off- like Ethan referring to Joe's fiancee Becky, or maybe Joe's other ex-wife Michelle, as 'Mommy' in Stephanie's presence. Ethan was only four years old, he was in a new, unfamiliar place and situation with two people he barely knew (who were probably both using drugs, imo), and probably emotionally stressed, which is understandable. For some reason I keep thinking the word 'Mommy' came out of his mouth, and Stephanie was embarrassed in front of Nathan that Ethan didn't mean her.

I wouldn't be surprised if the physical abuse was actually started by Stephanie. She may have slapped Ethan, Ethan would have started crying, and then Nathan, wanting to show his support to, and solidarity with Stephanie, told her to stand back, that he'll "take care of this".

Being the macho guy that Nathan viewed himself as, he took on the roll of 'firm disciplinarian', and took a little 4 year old child into the bedroom, and beat the daylights out of him.

From that point on, the more Ethan cried (and Ethan would have naturally been hysterical after the first beating) the more it would enrage Nathan, and in turn Stephanie.

At some point, they completely stopped seeing Ethan as a child, (if they ever did to begin with), and he simply became their personal little punching bag.

BBM...

I think that you were very close when you guessed this part, smart blond. Maybe that explains why SS sent the Mother's Day card to Joe's fiancee. Maybe she was being hateful and sarcastic (if Ethan had angered her by calling Becky 'mommy'.

Hundreds of teddy bears donated in honor of Ethan Stacy​

Hundreds of people remembered Ethan Stacy Saturday by donating teddy bears in his name.

Nearly 1,000 stuffed animals were collected during the Memorial Teddy Bear Drive at the Iceburg Drive Inn at 1792 S. 2000 West in Syracuse.

The toys will be distributed to local law enforcement agencies, including the Utah Highway Patrol and Syracuse Police Department. Officers, deputies and firefighters will keep them in their patrol cars and trucks to have on hand when responding to traumatic situations involving children.​

20824791.jpg

20824801.jpg

20824805.jpg

20824807.jpg

20824811.jpg

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10971181

Has there been any announcement as to when NS & SS will be assigned their new lawyers?

A courthouse full of grief and anger​

Much like everyone else in the packed courtroom, I went to court to see Nathan and Stephanie Sloop, who face aggravated murder charges in the death of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy.​

The homicide charges themselves are chilling and thorough. The aggravating circumstances include child abuse or child sexual abuse; desecration of a body, administration of a lethal substance in a deadly amount. Physical torture. Mutilation showing "actor's depravity of mind." A victim younger than 14.​

Has there been any announcement as to when NS & SS will be assigned their new lawyers?

I think I read in one of the recent articles (or on the news video) they were due back in court next week. I don't know if that's why, but I'll look around and see what I can find.

ETA: This week, the 4th.

Attorneys for the newlywed Sloops said they would be seeking new lawyers for their clients from the list of attorneys who are certified in Utah to handle death penalty cases. A hearing was scheduled for June 4.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...der-in-death-of-Ethan-Stacy.html?s_cid=rss-30

A courthouse full of grief and anger​

Much like everyone else in the packed courtroom, I went to court to see Nathan and Stephanie Sloop, who face aggravated murder charges in the death of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy.​

The homicide charges themselves are chilling and thorough. The aggravating circumstances include child abuse or child sexual abuse; desecration of a body, administration of a lethal substance in a deadly amount. Physical torture. Mutilation showing "actor's depravity of mind." A victim younger than 14.​

I just noticed mutilation is listed separate from desecration of a body. Oh God, no...

As hard is it is to even imagine, it's going to get much, much worse :(

Prosecutors still have plenty of time before they have to officially declare whether they plan to seek the death penalty against the Sloops. Utah law gives them 60 days to make a decision after an official arraignment, which follows a preliminary hearing and is typically well into the legal process.

Other possible penalties — if the couple is convicted — include life without the possibility of parole, or a sentence of 25 years to life.

In a prepared statement, Rawlings said the decision on whether to pursue the death penalty "will come only after we have received all relevant evidence and information; after we have carefully considered statutory, aggravating or mitigating circumstances; after further consultation with the Attorney General's Office (including the appellate division); after we have consulted with (the) Layton (Police Department); and particularly after we have had extensive discussions with Ethan's family."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ated-murder-in-death-of-Ethan-Stacy.html?pg=3

I suspected this was the case. Joe and his family are now going to hear even more horrifying details of what Ethan endured. May God hold and comfort them.

And may God bless and lead Mr. Rawlings in his pursuit for justice for Ethan. He's leaving no stone unturned and making sure he has an airtight case with no chance of it being reversed on appeal. It's obvious Ethan has the very best working on his behalf.

I've been hearing so much about Shelby's Law, and how it will help bring Ethan justice, yet I wasn't really that familiar with what happened to young Shelby Andrews.

The following article is from October of 2007, and be warned that the specific details, especially on page two, are twisted and heartbreaking.

In Shelby's case, the main antagonist was the female (stepmother) of the convicted couple. I think that is very important to note, as some people may be having a hard time believing that a woman could be the more dominant abuser in a man/woman abusing 'team'.

I was also a bit taken aback by the similarities of Shelby's case and Ethan's case. Aside from the fact that they both happened in Utah, with Troy Rawlings prosecuting both cases, Shelby was "forced to eat human feces", the doorknob were she was being held was also removed, she suffered brain swelling (I'm sure Ethan did, too), the same type of custody issues, much more.

There are two pages to this article, along with a pic of the female 'perp'.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ilty-to-murdering-Shelby-Andrews-10.html?pg=1

The next time I send up a prayer for our precious Ethan, I will also send a prayer of thanks to Ethan's angel Shelby. She did not die in vain.

I've been hearing so much about Shelby's Law, and how it will help bring Ethan justice, yet I wasn't really that familiar with what happened to young Shelby Andrews.

The following article is from October of 2007, and be warned that the specific details, especially on page two, are twisted and heartbreaking.

In Shelby's case, the main antagonist was the female (stepmother) of the convicted couple. I think that is very important to note, as some people may be having a hard time believing that a woman could be the more dominant abuser in a man/woman abusing 'team'.

I was also a bit taken aback by the similarities of Shelby's case and Ethan's case. Aside from the fact that they both happened in Utah, with Troy Rawlings prosecuting both cases, Shelby was "forced to eat human feces", the doorknob were she was being held was also removed, she suffered brain swelling (I'm sure Ethan did, too), the same type of custody issues, much more.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ilty-to-murdering-Shelby-Andrews-10.html?pg=1

The next time I send up a prayer for our precious Ethan, I will also send a prayer of thanks to Ethan's angel Shelby. She did not die in vain.
:(

In an interview, Shelby's mom said that not many can say they know how Joe feels, but they can. And they're glad that this this law is being used to put away Ethan's murderers. And Mr. Rawlings is going to see to it it's done right. I could tell from his comments at the press conference, Shelby's case still weighs heavy on him. He's not going to let these two monsters get away.

Someone posted photos of his gravesite on FB. And they included this one of the view from there. Beautiful country, where a little boy can have so many adventures.

30094_395658069607_681344607_4194651_7784489_n.jpg

Further: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...prison-police-describe-killer-as-monster.html

How horrifying.

BBM...

I think that you were very close when you guessed this part, smart blond. Maybe that explains why SS sent the Mother's Day card to Joe's fiancee. Maybe she was being hateful and sarcastic (if Ethan had angered her by calling Becky 'mommy'.

addtionally the calls SS made to her FL friend.....said that ethan kept asking for mommy and he wouldnt stop crying....he was NOT asking for SS is what that that led me to think.

I hate them so much. I cant believe every day I read this thread and always have to snuffle up enough tears to be able to post any replies.

addtionally the calls SS made to her FL friend.....said that ethan kept asking for mommy and he wouldnt stop crying....he was NOT asking for SS is what that that led me to think.
I hate them so much. I cant believe every day I read this thread and always have to snuffle up enough tears to be able to post any replies.

ITA! SS was right there unfortunately. :( I think Ethan was crying for the 'mommy' who wasn't there.

Thanks for the album. GREAT JOB.

But I have to tell you for a woman with bad eyes the background was hard to deal with.
For me I would have preferred a blank canvas as a background.

TY songline.

I do agree the background is way too busy. But it is the Bumblebee Transformer, the "favorite toy".

Every now and then I change up the backgrounds. The next one I put on Ethan's will be easier on the eyes.

TY songline.

I do agree the background is way too busy. But it is the Bumblebee Transformer, the "favorite toy".

Every now and then I change up the backgrounds. The next one I put on Ethan's will be easier on the eyes.

I think the background is sweet. It does make me a bit dizzy, but then again so do 4 year old boys lol. The red borders help a lot.

The photo of Joe's dad hugging him at the funeral is heartbreaking :(

I have to say, I'm a bit ticked at the press for not covering this as a pool--- by sending in one reporter and one cameraman in to interview Joe and then all sharing the video. Seeing him sitting there at his son's funeral surrounded by mics and cameras makes me ill.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back