POI: Lorenzo Montoya

TY Ruflossn.

Montoya has been forefront in my mind since reading about him in the beginning.

His ex-co-workers had some very interesting details to share about him. Of course, it's heresay but it's very interesting heresay.

I agree Kat. Don't forget about the Pimp that passed away too. Also, as I have been researching this case, I have seen many allude to the fact that it could be a cop as well.

In my opinion all three scenarios could fit (they could also be picked apart).

1) Lorenzo Montoya - Per witness accounts (hearsay) hates women. Obvious history of violence towards prostitutes. Lives 1 1/2 miles (I think that's what I read) from burial site. Decrease in disappearence of prostitutes since his death.

2) Fred Reynolds (Pimp) - Possible access to all missing women due to lifestyle. Photos of some of the missing found in his home after his death.

3) LE - All of the identified women have arrest records. Many of the remaining missing do as well, which obviously means they have crossed paths with LE on at least one occasion, if not many. It would also be very convienient to point a finger at two dead men and say "case closed."

TY Ruflossn.

Montoya has been forefront in my mind since reading about him in the beginning.

His ex-co-workers had some very interesting details to share about him. Of course, it's heresay but it's very interesting heresay.

I thought the same thing about the co-workers.
They all seemed to have the same opinion.
I wonder if there is DNA available from Montoya that could be compared to DNA that might have been found on the victims.

I thought the same thing about the co-workers.
They all seemed to have the same opinion.
I wonder if there is DNA available from Montoya that could be compared to DNA that might have been found on the victims.

I don't think there will be any DNA due to the amount of time the bodies have been there. It sounds like it is just bones and much of them have been scattered.

I don't think there will be any DNA due to the amount of time the bodies have been there. It sounds like it is just bones and much of them have been scattered.

Yes, that is probably correct. In fact, I think that has been discussed b4. I just keep hoping that maybe forensics will find something under the nailbeds or on the clothing.......... but, time and the elements will prove to be a hindrance.

:mad:

Hello everyone! I'm new here and wanted to say hi since I have spent the greater part of the last 5 days reading this forum.

Does anyone remember the name of the guy who was the first suspect in the West Mesa murders? I don't know how accurate the story was, but it was (I believe) a Hispanic man who lived near the edge of the desert where the bodies were buried. He had murdered a woman in his home and while he was in the process of carrying her out to his car to take her away, her boyfriend came up and saw this and killed the man. I know I'm not imagining this story!

Hello everyone! I'm new here and wanted to say hi since I have spent the greater part of the last 5 days reading this forum.

Does anyone remember the name of the guy who was the first suspect in the West Mesa murders? I don't know how accurate the story was, but it was (I believe) a Hispanic man who lived near the edge of the desert where the bodies were buried. He had murdered a woman in his home and while he was in the process of carrying her out to his car to take her away, her boyfriend came up and saw this and killed the man. I know I'm not imagining this story!

via Wikipedia:

Two men who initially attracted police attention in connection with the murders were Fred Reynolds and Lorenzo Montoya. Reynolds was a pimp who knew one of the missing women and reportedly had photos of missing prostitutes; he died a natural death in January 2009. Lorenzo Montoya lived less than two miles from the burial site; in 2006 there were reportedly tire tracks leading from his trailer to the site. In December 2006, Montoya strangled a teenage prostitute at his trailer; he was shot to death by the prostitute's boyfriend.

Lorenzo Montoya was most likely the West Mesa Killer but, since he is dead, the issue will probably never be settled. In January 2006, he was killed by the "boyfriend" of a young prostitute he had just murdered in his mobile home on a remote piece of land not that far from the West Mesa site where the bodies were found. Apparently there was some sort of a dirt track that one could use to get from his mobile home to the West Mesa site.

This happened in 2006. The West Mesa site had not been discovered and no one in Albuquerque Law Enforcement had really picked up on the fact that prostitutes were missing and a Serial killer might be operating until 2009 when the West Mesa site was discovered. All of the girls went missing in 2005 or earlier.

Lorenzo Montoya was most likely the West Mesa Killer but, since he is dead, the issue will probably never be settled. In January 2006, he was killed by the "boyfriend" of a young prostitute he had just murdered in his mobile home on a remote piece of land not that far from the West Mesa site where the bodies were found. Apparently there was some sort of a dirt track that one could use to get from his mobile home to the West Mesa site.

This happened in 2006. The West Mesa site had not been discovered and no one in Albuquerque Law Enforcement had really picked up on the fact that prostitutes were missing and a Serial killer might be operating until 2009 when the West Mesa site was discovered. All of the girls went missing in 2005 or earlier.

I think most of us in the Albuquerque area think this too. He was caught in the act murdering a prostitute, even his co-workers thought he was the one. His mobile home was very near the area where the bodies were found with dirt tracks going to the burial scene. And no more murders after he himself was murdered. It all makes sense. I guess they can't officially tie him for some reason. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/new-lead-in-west-mesa-murders

I do believe this is drug cartel at work and quite possible Montoya was involved in that also. Perhaps since his death, the others involved knew it was a matter of time before they connected Montoya and the mass grave would be discovered. Maybe this is why the killings in the area seemed to stop. There are many suspects still out there, IMO, and probably carrying out similar acts elsewhere, unfortunately.

on the Montoya thing too, it was often misreported that there were "tracks" from his trailer to the dumpsite--I recall only 1 or 2 articles correctly indicating they were actually "dirt trails"--was that done on purpose, so that it seemed like they were focusing mostly on him (and his partner) and that Joplin photog RE so as to keep Blea off guard while they worked up a stronger case?

I found old articles on Montoya when he first killed Sherika Hill and APD was quoted as saying they were looking at him to see if he committed any other crimes. His home/trailer was gone over with a fine tooth comb from what those articles stated. At the time (dec. 2006), APD believed it was to brutal of a crime to be his first.

Hello everyone,

I have a research question I'd like some help with. Anyone game?

As we know, West Mesa suspect Lorenzo Montoya was shot and killed in December of 2006. Almost all of the stories I've read say that Montoya was found dragging prostitute Shericka Hill towards his car (some stories say he was stuffing her into the trunk) when he was discovered and shot in the leg by Fredrick Williams (her pimp) and died of his injuries.

Here's an example:
http://krqe.com/2014/01/31/does-apd-have-a-suspect-in-the-west-mesa-murders/

However, an article published the day after the incident states that Williams shot at Montoya outside of his trailer because Montoya also had a gun and Williams felt "threatened". Williams then went inside the trailer and found Hill dead.

http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/522336metro12-19-06.htm

What I'm looking for is something that shows me where the story changes from what was reported in the article from 2006 to the version we're more familiar with. Was Hill inside or outside? Was Montoya dragging her toward his vehicle when Williams approached him, or was he outside his trailer without the body when Williams arrived on the scene?

If anyone can point me to something that helps clarify this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rachel

Hello everyone,

I have a research question I'd like some help with. Anyone game?

As we know, West Mesa suspect Lorenzo Montoya was shot and killed in December of 2006. Almost all of the stories I've read say that Montoya was found dragging prostitute Shericka Hill towards his car (some stories say he was stuffing her into the trunk) when he was discovered and shot in the leg by Fredrick Williams (her pimp) and died of his injuries.

Here's an example:
http://krqe.com/2014/01/31/does-apd-have-a-suspect-in-the-west-mesa-murders/

However, an article published the day after the incident states that Williams shot at Montoya outside of his trailer because Montoya also had a gun and Williams felt "threatened". Williams then went inside the trailer and found Hill dead.

http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/522336metro12-19-06.htm

What I'm looking for is something that shows me where the story changes from what was reported in the article from 2006 to the version we're more familiar with. Was Hill inside or outside? Was Montoya dragging her toward his vehicle when Williams approached him, or was he outside his trailer without the body when Williams arrived on the scene?

If anyone can point me to something that helps clarify this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rachel

IMHO, the story changed (with help) afterwards to help WILLIAMS be justified in shooting MONTOYA, to be sure no charges would be filed--They were happy to be rid of MONTOYA--Williams should/could have stayed with the story that MONTOYA pulled his gun on him when he confronted him as to where HILL was-But then it's a he says he pulled a gun thing--If instead, you see a guy stuffing your gf into the bed of a pickup truck, no way will there be charges---I REALLY believe 100% he went in AFTER shooting Montoya and found her dead

IMHO, the story changed (with help) afterwards to help WILLIAMS be justified in shooting MONTOYA, to be sure no charges would be filed--They were happy to be rid of MONTOYA--Williams should/could have stayed with the story that MONTOYA pulled his gun on him when he confronted him as to where HILL was-But then it's a he says he pulled a gun thing--If instead, you see a guy stuffing your gf into the bed of a pickup truck, no way will there be charges---I REALLY believe 100% he went in AFTER shooting Montoya and found her dead

I tend to agree with your opinion. There is an article (can't find it) that told a revised version. The article stated that Williams was parked down farther in the trailer park, he buzzed Shericka's phone (the old Nextel walkie talkie type) and got no answer..he pulled up to Montoya's trailer and saw Montoya pretending to be a security guard...at this time Montoya "shooed" Williams away...Williams circled the trailer park a couple times and when he pulled up to Montoya's trailer this second time....Williams saw Montoya drop something and Montoya started playing security guard but the something Montoya dropped was Shericka...Williams fired and killed Montoya. I'm looking for that specific article.

I talked to someone from Albuquerque who said Montoya found Shericka on Backpage, but I've never have been able to confirm this. I'm not even sure Backpage existed in Dec. 2006.

According to newspaper articles, Lorenzo Montoya worked at Starline Printing Press as a foreman in the printing press area. His family released a statement after his death stating they believed Fredrick killed Shericka and that Lorenzo had a teenage daughter, and a new baby on the way.

Another random coincidence is that det. babcock arrested Lorenzo Montoya in 1999 for choking and raping a prostitute. I believe the charges were dropped (nolle prosqui).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back