Drew Peterson murder trial delayed

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/2471732,070710peterson.article

Fourteen months after being arrested and jailed, Drew Peterson is to go on trial Thursday in Will County Circuit Court for the March 2004 murder of his third wife.

Will Peterson's lawyers give him the chance to testify in his defense? Joel Brodsky, the longest serving of Peterson's six attorneys, won't say if his client will do so. He said he's not sure whom he will call to testify.

"It depends what evidence the state puts on," said Brodsky, who is trying his first-ever murder case with the eyes of the world watching.

Brodsky said the defense has some tricks up its sleeve.

"There's going to be some surprises in my opening (statement). It will be informative and entertaining," said Brodsky, who predicted that he is going to get under the skin of State's Attorney James Glasgow, who's personally trying the case. "You'll probably hear him grunt and groan."

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/drew_peterson/drew-peterson-trial-keys-attorneys-win-case-20100706

Trial: Three Things Each Side Needs to do, to Win the Case

Experts say the prosecution needs to focus on three key points: establish a motive (and show Peterson is the only one who benefited from Savio's murder); convince the jury that hearsay evidence is reliable; and convince jurors that State Police blundered the original investigation (so the first autopsy can be regarded as flawed).

snip

Overall, the defense team needs to focus on three key points: the lack of evidence (DNA or fingerprints) connecting Peterson to Savio's murder; highlight the conflicting autopsies (to force them to question whether it was murder or an accident); and point out that the law requires them to find Peterson guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I really do not understand why Brodsky thinks he needs to be such a smart a@@.
It comes across like he doesn't take this seriously. I guess if he was any different, DP would not have hired him. Birds of a feather...

I really do not understand why Brodsky thinks he needs to be such a smart a@@.
It comes across like he doesn't take this seriously. I guess if he was any different, DP would not have hired him. Birds of a feather...
Oh my, do I ever agree! They both have the ewwwww factor if you ask me. Ick.

But, on the other hand, I hope with all my being that the states case is solid and they are able to convict. Maybe that would shut both of them up.

Hey! A girl can dream, can't she??????

Something about testimony of a dead person. I guess that would be letters Kathleen wrote?
:banghead: ugg

Prosecutors: Drew Peterson trial will be delayed
The Associated Press
Wednesday, July 7, 2010; 2:37 PM

JOLIET, Ill. -- Prosecutors say former police officer Drew Peterson's trial on charges of killing his third wife will be delayed while they appeal a judge's decision to exclude some hearsay evidence.

<snip>
State's Attorney James Glasgow said Wednesday he will appeal the judge's decision but did not say exactly what hearsay statements were excluded.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/07/AR2010070703433.html

I thought this might happen. Last week the prosecution asked Judge White to reconsider the hearsay that he had denied be admitted as evidence. This included portions of the testimony given by Pastor Neal Schori at the January pre-hearing.

A couple weeks ago the Illinois State Supreme Court ruled unanimously in a similar murder case that the hearsay evidence presented at trial was valid. The defense in that case had tried to get the verdict overturned based on hearsay evidence very similar to the evidence the prosecution wants to present in the Peterson case. But, the Supreme Court ruled against the defense in that case, saying the prosecution's hearsay evidence was valid.

The prosecution in the Peterson case asked Judge White to read the Supreme Court ruling in the other case and reconsider some of the hearsay evidence the prosecution wants to present, but that Judge White had previously denied. Judge White said he would read the Supreme Court ruling over the weekend (July 4th weekend) and email the prosecution and defense with his decision. It was announced yesterday that Judge White's decision was to not allow any more hearsay evidence in the trial.

The prosecution has the option of appealing Judge White's decision to the Illinois Supreme Court and let them decide. This is obviously the route they've taken. In the end, this might work out for the better...........if the Supreme Court allows the hearsay evidence that the prosecution wants to present, they'll have a stronger case.

I think the prosecution is doing the right thing. I want them to have a strong case going into trial and a better chance at a conviction.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/peterson-trial-delayed-as-prosecutors-appeal-ruling-on-evidence.html

Peterson trial delayed as prosecutors appeal ruling on evidence

Drew Peterson's murder trial will be delayed as prosecutors appeal a ruling that bars several hearsay statements they believe would help convict the retired police officer of his third wife's death.

"The people of the state of Illinois are entitled to a fair trial, and I intend to see that they get one," State's Attorney James Glasgow said in a statement. "As state's attorney, I am obligated to appeal the judge's ruling to ensure that every legally admissible statement may be presented at trial."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hbfkKdZZEPQinpLBXO6Df3-5s2SwD9GQDCJG2

Peterson attorney says prosecution 'chickened out'
(AP) – 1 hour ago

CHICAGO — The defense attorney for Drew Peterson says an appeal on hearsay evidence in the former police officer's upcoming murder trial signals to him that prosecutors have no case.

snip

That evidence is considered crucial because prosecutors have not yet produced physical evidence linking Peterson to Savio's death, first-hand witnesses or a confession.

State's Attorney James Glasgow said Wednesday he will appeal the judge's decision but did not say exactly what hearsay statements were excluded.

snip

During a hearing earlier this year to determine what hearsay evidence a jury would be allowed to hear, several witnesses testified Savio told them she feared Peterson would kill her and had even sneaked into her house and held a knife to her throat and threatened her life.

They also presented witnesses who told of conversations they had with Stacy Peterson, including a pastor who testified Stacy told them she had helped Peterson concoct a fake alibi the weekend Savio's body was found

I'm sure the prosecution has a solid case, but if the inclusion of the hearsay that Judge White has deemed not allowed, would make the case even stronger, I'm all for this move by the prosecution.

It may take a few weeks to go before the appellate court and get a decision, but if that decision allows the hearsay evidence previously denied to be used in the trial, and that leads to a conviction, I'm all for it. I'd rather the trial be delayed than to have Drew Peterson acquitted.

This article has some good information on some of the hearsay evidence that's at issue in the appeal to the state appellate court. Judge White is allowing only a portion of Pastor Neal Schori's testimony, and denying any testimony from a co-worker of Kathleen Savio, whom Kathleen had told in detail about Drew Peterson grabbing her her and threatening her.

http://www.fox12idaho.com/global/story.asp?s=12768278

This article has some good information on some of the hearsay evidence that's at issue in the appeal to the state appellate court. Judge White is allowing only a portion of Pastor Neal Schori's testimony, and denying any testimony from a co-worker of Kathleen Savio, whom Kathleen had told in detail about Drew Peterson grabbing her her and threatening her.

http://www.fox12idaho.com/global/story.asp?s=12768278

Thanks Leila for your great posts, making this very understandable. xox

I have a question...

If the state appeals this matter to the Illinois Supreme Court and they overrule Judge White and allow this evidence. Then Drew is convicted at trial. If his defense team appeals the conviction, are they petitioning the Illinois Supreme Court, the same court that made the rulling on the evidence? :waitasec:

Don't we have 6th amendment right to face your accuser..Confrontation clause....? Anyone know of a lawyer in Chicago who can fiile a federal civil rights lawsuit..I've been falsely accoused. Anyways I don't want him walking around...But that would suck to try this clown and have it eventually thrown out becasue of this hearsay law and who else can get accused will it be amended after a conviction...

http://wbbm.cbslocal.com/2010/07/12/drew-petersons-lawyers-to-file-motion/#more-8418

Drew Peterson&#8217;s lawyers to file motion

Steve Miller
Local News, More 780 Headlines
7/12/2010
2:40 PM

CHICAGO (WBBM) &#8211; Drew Peterson&#8217;s lawyers have indicated they plan to file motions in court this week to get the murder trial going again soon &#8211; and to try again to get Peterson released from custody.

Drew Peterson&#8217;s defense team is expected to file at least a couple of documents with the court &#8211; probably as early as this week:

First, to try again to have Peterson released from jail. And to try to force Peterson&#8217;s murder trial to proceed sooner rather than later.

Last week the Will County&#8217;s State&#8217;s Attorney&#8217;s office announced it was appealing the judge&#8217;s ruling to ban some hearsay testimony in the murder trial.

That appeal is expected to delay the trial for months.

Now Peterson&#8217;s defense team says the state&#8217;s attorney waited too long &#8211; that is, more than 30 days &#8211; to appeal the judge&#8217;s hearsay ruling. And Peterson&#8217;s lawyers say the state&#8217;s attorney shouldn&#8217;t be allowed to challenge the hearsay ruling now &#8211; so, they say, the trial should go on.

Newsradio 780 is trying to reach the Will County State&#8217;s Attorney for comment.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=393788

Attorneys for Drew Peterson accused Will County prosecutors Tuesday of intentionally delaying the trial until after the judge overseeing the high-profile case retires.

snip...

But in the latest twist, lead defense attorney Joel Brodsky said Glasgow is well aware he missed a 30-day appeal deadline, but pursued one anyway as a stalling tactic to push the start of trial beyond White's expected October retirement.

The defense is asking the Third District Appellate Court to dismiss Glasgow's appeal.

"This is pretty open and shut," Brodsky said. "(Glasgow's) either incompetent or he's doing it to intentionally delay the trial because he wants a different trial judge. Judge White was going to give Drew Peterson a fair trial and (Glasgow) doesn't want that."

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/bolingbrooksun/news/2495222,Drew-Peterson-appeal-motion_JO071310.article

Peterson, the accused wife-killer and disgraced former cop, faces murder charges in connection with the death of his third wife, Kathleen Savio. He is also suspected of slaying his fourth wife, Stacy Peterson.

Earlier this year, Judge Stephen White ruled that Peterson probably killed both women, clearing the way for a substantial amount of hearsay evidence to be allowed at trial. But a recent Illinois Supreme Court decision prompted State's Attorney James Glasgow to ask White to reconsider his ruling and allow all of the hearsay evidence.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=393788

Attorneys for Drew Peterson accused Will County prosecutors Tuesday of intentionally delaying the trial until after the judge overseeing the high-profile case retires.

snip...

But in the latest twist, lead defense attorney Joel Brodsky said Glasgow is well aware he missed a 30-day appeal deadline, but pursued one anyway as a stalling tactic to push the start of trial beyond White's expected October retirement.

The defense is asking the Third District Appellate Court to dismiss Glasgow's appeal.

"This is pretty open and shut," Brodsky said. "(Glasgow's) either incompetent or he's doing it to intentionally delay the trial because he wants a different trial judge. Judge White was going to give Drew Peterson a fair trial and (Glasgow) doesn't want that."

I think Joel Brodsky is wrong on this one. It was June 18th when Judge White issued his ruling on the hearsay. The prosecution filed their appeal to the appellate court on July 7th - 17 days later. So the prosecution is within the 30-day window.

Joel Brodsky is using a date of May 18th for some reason.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back