Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Developments #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15nuclear.html?hp

EXCERPT:
The plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power, said late Monday that repeated efforts to inject seawater into the reactor had failed, causing water levels inside the reactor’s containment vessel to fall and exposing its fuel rods. After what at first appeared to be a successful bid to refill the vessel, water levels again dwindled, this time to critical levels, exposing the rods almost completely, company executives said.

Workers were having difficulty injecting seawater into the reactor because its vents — necessary to release pressure in the containment vessel by allowing radioactive steam to escape — had stopped working properly, they said.

The more time that passes with fuel rods uncovered by water and the pressure inside the containment vessel unvented, the greater the risk that the containment vessel will crack or explode, creating a potentially catastrophic release of radioactive material into the atmosphere — an accident that would be by far the worst to confront the nuclear power industry since the explosion of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant 25 years ago.

Japan's nightmare gets even WORSE: All THREE damaged nuclear reactors now in 'meltdown' at tsunami-hit power station
By RICHARD SHEARS
Last updated at 5:09 PM on 14th March 2011
Comments (168)
Videos
Add to My Stories

Fuel rods appear to be melting inside three over-heating reactors
Experts class development as 'partial meltdown'
Molten fuel could burn through reactor safety shields
Earlier blast at Fukushima nuclear plant felt 25 miles away
Eleven workers injured after hydrogen ignited
180,000 people have been evacuated from the area
Engineers desperately trying to cool reactors with sea water
Up to 160 people so far exposed to radiation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...plosion-rips-nuclear-plant.html#ixzz1GbKyHZEc

Quiche,........I wish we could connect that one with an advertiser. I think we'll start seeing more of these dealing with the what if's.

Well let's all pray for the containment vessels holding up. I don't compare this to Chernobyl but it's up there. I just hope those containment vessels hold up. I also can't compare this to Hiroshima because those were explosions which reached into the jet stream and the atomic particles attached to dust from the blast. I have no idea about the fallout dispersal of those bombs.

My knowledge of nuclear comes from military training and not nuclear power. I'm really not expecting fallout to be a problem for the US but I could be wrong. Looking at history, Japan has done very well since the attacks.

Did I say I loved the people of Japan, IMO great people. Some of my best memories are from Yokohama.

I only feel badly for what they're going through, I can only send positive thoughts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/radiation-exposure-things/story?id=13131122

How on earth are they going to manage this?

EXCERPT:

During a radiation emergency, such as fears of a nuclear plant explosion, you may be advised to create a "shelter in place." This means you should stay inside your home or office, or perhaps another confined area indoors. To keep your shelter in place effective, you should: close and lock all doors and windows; turn off fans, air conditioners, or

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/radiation-exposure-things/story?id=13131122

How on earth are they going to manage this?

EXCERPT:

During a radiation emergency, such as fears of a nuclear plant explosion, you may be advised to create a "shelter in place." This means you should stay inside your home or office, or perhaps another confined area indoors. To keep your shelter in place effective, you should: close and lock all doors and windows; turn off fans, air conditioners, or
Yep yep yep - and I've also heard you should duct tape around all doors and windows to help create a seal. But I don't know how that works - does your A/C air handler filter any outside air coming in?

Yep yep yep - and I've also heard you should duct tape around all doors and windows to help create a seal. But I don't know how that works - does your A/C air handler filter any outside air coming in?

That's assuming you have power, I think you can take power out of the mix.

Japan's nightmare gets even WORSE: All THREE damaged nuclear reactors now in 'meltdown' at tsunami-hit power station
By RICHARD SHEARS
Last updated at 5:09 PM on 14th March 2011
Comments (168)
Videos
Add to My Stories

Fuel rods appear to be melting inside three over-heating reactors
Experts class development as 'partial meltdown'
Molten fuel could burn through reactor safety shields
Earlier blast at Fukushima nuclear plant felt 25 miles away
Eleven workers injured after hydrogen ignited
180,000 people have been evacuated from the area
Engineers desperately trying to cool reactors with sea water
Up to 160 people so far exposed to radiation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...plosion-rips-nuclear-plant.html#ixzz1GbKyHZEc
Then there's this:

Japan nuclear disaster risk seen receding fast

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/14/japan-nuclear-radiation-risk-idUSLDE72D19720110314

>>>snip

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:27pm EDT

* Stricken nuclear cores cooling naturally

* Little chance of big leak, three reactors written off

By Gerard Wynn LONDON, March 14 (Reuters) - The risk of a major radiation leak in Japan is subsiding as stricken nuclear reactors cool, but there will be major clean-up costs and three reactors will probably be written off, experts said on Monday

<...>
(article continues)

<<<snip
(EDT = Eastern Daylight Time -
c065.gif
who knew? )
(ETA: GMT = Monday, March 14 7:48:21 p.m.; CST = 12:48 p.m.; time in Tokyo = Tuesday, March 15 4:51:16 a.m.)

coastal =
a035.gif

The easy explanation which goes for chemical and biological hazards also.

Three things are needed to complete the chain.

The contaminating agent, fallout, virus, gas etc.

Eliminate one of the following three things and you remove the threat.

1. Eliminate the offending agent, fallout, virus, gas etc.
2. Eliminate the carrier - the exposed air, water/streams, rockets etc.
3. Remove the victim = move the victim from the affected area before exposure.

The conflicting stories are driving me nuts. You would think with anything this serious, they could get it right.

I know I want to google for the answer, but the questions keep changing so fast!

We have friends who live down by Hanford and those closest had lil emergency kits which they had to use once. He said they were essentially plastic and duct tape. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine