CA CA - Los Angeles, 2 HispMales 1400UMCA & 1397UMCA, 14-19, GSW, Jul'92

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a case that has not received much attention, but because it involves young teenagers, should. This seems to be a case that could be solved with a little publicity in the neighborhood.

Their cause of death is not mentioned, but I would guess that it was a drive-by shooting considering the part of town in which this happened.

I did the recons for these two DoeNet Cases, and was never quite happy with the resemblance for the boy in the blue shirt. This one was quite difficult because of the bad camera angle, contorted facial expression, and bad photo quality. But today, I spent a few hours more on it, and finally am fairly satisfied with the resemblance.

The Doe Network:
Case Files 1397UMCA and 1400UMCA

1397UMCA
1400UMCA

1682657888513.png

*** WARNING POSTMORTEM PHOTOS AT LINKS ***
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q697/Carlkopp90245/Postmortem Photos/2425764740045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q697/Carlkopp90245/Postmortem Photos/2641254580045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified Hispanic Males
* The victims were discovered on July 19, 1992 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California

Vital Statistics (1400UMCA)
* Estimated ages: 13-16 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 170 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes. Small scar on left hip.
* Clothing: No clothing; no jewelry.
* Dentals: Available.

Vital Statistics (1397UMCA)
* Estimated age: 12-17 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 128 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
* Clothing: Undershorts; a black Casio watch.

Case History
The two boys were standing at a street corner at Vernon Avenue and Compton Boulevard in Los Angeles, California on July 19, 1992. They were transported to the hospital where they died.

Last edited:
I remember these photos from before California removed them. One if the boys has a total look of shock and surprise on his face and eyes.

That one has haunted me for awhile.

I just together a flyer (written in both Spanish and English).

1682657956625.png

The flyer reads as follows:
Do you know these two boys from 18 years ago?

These two boys died at the corner of Vernon Avenue and Compton Boulevard in Los Angeles on June 19, 1992. The authorities still don’t know who they were.

If you know the identities of either of these two boys, please call *advertiser censored*-*advertiser censored*-xxxx, or by e-mail at xxxx@xxxxx.*advertiser censored*.

I checked with a couple of Spanish speaking friends to verify that my Spanish was correct, and then I drove over to the corner of Vernon Ave and Compton Blvd.

There's a Mexican restaurant on the Northwest corner. I showed them the flyer, and they let me post the flyer on the wall next to the cashier's counter. I also went into a laundromat at the Southeast corner and posted a copy above the change machine, and I posted another on the bulletin board of a grocery store down the street.

As I was standing at the corner waiting for the light, a homeless man asked me for spare change. I'm not normally one to give money to panhandlers, but I gave him a couple of bucks and showed him the flyer. He said that he has lived in the area for years, and thinks he remembers hearing about two hispanic boys being shot at that corner, but didn't remember much about the details. However, he thinks that he might know a few people around town who know more about who they were or what happened that day.

He asked me to give him a copy of the flyer and he'll call me if he finds out anything.

I'm not getting my hopes up that he will call me, but if he does, -- great! If not, maybe someone around the neighborhood will see one of the other three flyers and give me a call or drop me an e-mail.

Last edited:
This is a case that has not received much attention, but because it involves young teenagers, should. This seems to be a case that could be solved with a little publicity in the neighborhood.

Their cause of death is not mentioned, but I would guess that it was a drive-by shooting considering the part of town in which this happened.

I did the recons for these two DoeNet Cases, and was never quite happy with the resemblance for the boy in the blue shirt. This one was quite difficult because of the bad camera angle, contorted facial expression, and bad photo quality. But today, I spent a few hours more on it, and finally am fairly satisfied with the resemblance.

The Doe Network:
Case Files 1397UMCA and 1400UMCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1397umca.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1400umca.html

fb4def60-80e7-4f93-a37b-bd06fd85436f.jpg

*** WARNING POSTMORTEM PHOTOS AT LINKS ***
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2425764740045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2641254580045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified Hispanic Males
* The victims were discovered on July 19, 1992 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California

Vital Statistics (1400UMCA)
* Estimated ages: 13-16 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 170 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes. Small scar on left hip.
* Clothing: No clothing; no jewelry.

Vital Statistics (1397UMCA)
* Estimated age: 12-17 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6"; 128 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
* Clothing: Undershorts; a black Casio watch.

Case History
The two boys were standing at a street corner at Vernon Avenue and Compton Boulevard in Los Angeles, California on July 19, 1992. They were transported to the hospital where they died.

There's two young men standing on the street corner and one is naked and the other is in his underwear? Something in that doesn't add up, unless they were running from a predator of some sort that shot them? There has to be more going on here. Where are their families and why haven't they looked for them?

There's two young men standing on the street corner and one is naked and the other is in his underwear? Something in that doesn't add up, unless they were running from a predator of some sort that shot them? There has to be more going on here. Where are their families and why haven't they looked for them?

I was thinking that their clothing was lost at some point from the hospital to the morgue.

Keep in mind that this happened about 3 months after the 1992 LA riots. In the months that followed the riots, there remained an atmosphere of lawlessness. (even more so than is normal in that part of town).

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who works as a case worker for the Child Protective Services. We were discussing children who run away from CPS, and what happens to those children after they leave.

I had brought up the subject after an 1992 Arizona UID child was finally identified as Shannon Aumock, and it turned out that she ran away from CPS and fell off of everyone's radar shortly thereafter.

He indicated that it is very common that kids who run away from CPS join street gangs and the street gang becomes their family. Of course, the CPS reports them missing to the local authorities, but they do very little to actively search for them.

This case could be an example of just that.

I was recently talking to a friend of mine who works as a case worker for the Child Protective Services. We were discussing children who run away from CPS, and what happens to those children after they leave.

I had brought up the subject after an 1992 Arizona UID child was finally identified as Shannon Aumock, and it turned out that she ran away from CPS and fell off of everyone's radar shortly thereafter.

He indicated that it is very common that kids who run away from CPS join street gangs and the street gang becomes their family. Of course, the CPS reports them missing to the local authorities, but they do very little to actively search for them.

This case could be an example of just that.

Carl I couldn't find a thread for Shannon. Your post popped up as the only one when I did a search.

http://www.kpho.com/news/27446306/detail.html
POSTED: 6:59 pm MST April 5, 2011
UPDATED: 8:57 pm MST April 5, 2011

Funeral Held For Teen Killed 19 Years Ago

Shannon was laid to rest this past Tuesday.

Carl I couldn't find a thread for Shannon. Your post popped up as the only one when I did a search.

http://www.kpho.com/news/27446306/detail.html
POSTED: 6:59 pm MST April 5, 2011
UPDATED: 8:57 pm MST April 5, 2011

Funeral Held For Teen Killed 19 Years Ago

Shannon was laid to rest this past Tuesday.

Here's the UID thread which was moved to the Identified forum after she was identified:

Identified! AZ - Unidentified Female (11-18) - Eyeglasses&Bow in Hair Doenetwrk 48ufaz - May 1992 - Page 3 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I was thinking that their clothing was lost at some point from the hospital to the morgue.

I don't know. I can't imagine that the clothing would be lost en route to the hospital as you'd think LE would want to go through the pockets to try to find any identifiers.

the Doe Network profiles don't even indicate that they were shot.

I tried to find their Namus pages and they are practically blank. the only way you'd know they relate to these two UIDs are the case numbers:

92-06560 https://identifyus.org/cases/3774
(the one on the left in Carl's post)

92-06614 https://identifyus.org/cases/3773
(the one on the right in Carl's post)

Namus does not list them as homicides.

can anyone access archived newspaper articles from the time? the newspapers might have more information than the official pages at Namus and Doe Network.

can anyone access archived newspaper articles from the time? the newspapers might have more information than the official pages at Namus and Doe Network.

I ran a search in LA Times archives, and all I found is a July 20, 1992 article indicating that 6 people died in homicidal violence in LA County over the previous weekend. The summary references two incidents, neither of which are connected to this case.

Ok...that makes sense. Did they determine if they died at the scene or they were dumped there?

the only source information we have is in the Doe Network profiles which state they were seen "standing at a street corner at Vernon Avenue and Compton Boulevard in Los Angeles". it is unknown if they were gunned down at that spot or whether that was where locals said they last saw the boys.

the only source information we have is in the Doe Network profiles which state they were seen "standing at a street corner at Vernon Avenue and Compton Boulevard in Los Angeles". it is unknown if they were gunned down at that spot or whether that was where locals said they last saw the boys.

Thanks! I wonder why the information about these kids is so sketchy.

Thanks! I wonder why the information about these kids is so sketchy.

FWIW, when I was talking to the homeless guy the day that I drove over to that location, he said that he recalled the locals talking about two kids from a different neighborhood who were shot for trash-talking.

But who's to say whether he was telling the truth, or if maybe he was talking about a different incident.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back