CA CA - 'Trash Bag Murders' UID Victims of SK Patrick Kearney, 1965-1977

This evening, I was looking for something in Angel of Darkness by Dennis McDougal and I came across some information that I must have overlooked before (on page 118). When Patrick Kearney turned himself in, he told Riverside County LE that that he killed his first victim in 1964 or 1965; he had been a young man who he picked up at the Pike in Long Beach. Does anyone know if he was ever identified or, if not, any UIDs believed to be this person?

This evening, I was looking for something in Angel of Darkness by Dennis McDougal and I came across some information that I must have overlooked before (on page 118). When Patrick Kearney turned himself in, he told Riverside County LE that that he killed his first victim in 1964 or 1965; he had been a young man who he picked up at the Pike in Long Beach. Does anyone know if he was ever identified or, if not, any UIDs believed to be this person?

The bodies of those two victims were never found, and police were never able to determine who they were.

While LaMay's murder led police to the home of David Hill and Patrick, and they were pretty sure they had their culprits, taking fibers and dog hair- they did not put Kearney or Hill under police watch and AFTER police had been to the home in the LaMay case, eight year old Hondo was taken right in front of where Kearney worked and he was Keaney's last victim. He was not shot in the head and neither was any other child victim- clearly Kearney being small shot victims to avoid being over powered. He did not shoot either of the children. And all over the net the info is wrong.

This article from the Deseret News of July 6, 1977 http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=OcdSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=LX4DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4128,1007076&hl=en says that Patrick Kearney showed LE six possible locations where he dumped bodies and goes on to say that bodies were found at two of the locations (one in 1973 and one in 1976). Maybe it is too much of an assumption, but I would assume that if authorities knew who the decedent was, the article would say something more along the lines of "the body of Mr. Y was found in 1973 at the location."

information on children is not public- that being said much of what Kearney did never came to the light of day, because he did not want it to. He simply said yes I did it, I killed them and made a deal. To avoid trial and facts. Maybe also to protect Hill. One body was actually found, a coroner came out and they buried him where he was found, when Kearney took them to this body it took awhile to figure out this one was found, assumed to be an illegal and they dug him up.

Hondo Chance age eight was Kearney's last vicitm. Not LaMay. He took Hondo right outside hughes aircraft his workplace and after police had been to his home re John Lamay.

You are right. Merle "Hondo" Chance was killed on April 6, 1977. John Lamay was killed on March 18, 1977.

BTW, Michael McGhee (13) was shot in the head (according to Kearney's confession). I guess it's debatable whether 13 years old qualifies as a "child". Oliver Molitor was also 13 years old, but I am not sure of the method by which he was killed.

But you're right that the other child victim Ronald Dean Smith (5) of Lennox CA was killed by asphyxiation, just as Hondo Chance was.

:bump: Besides Culver City and Redondo Beach, according to Angel of Darkness by Dennis McDougal, when Patrick Kearney was first questioned by LE after turning himself and David Hill in, he told them that he had lived in Long Beach. I didn't realize that until I reread it.

There was an article in the LA Times on September 24, 1980 stating that the unidentified victim of William Bonin who was found in Kern County was going to be exhumed and includes a description of the young man (unfortunately, there isn't a sketch).

boninlatimes9241980_zps8533c4ea.jpg

Is it possible to separate him from this tread, because he is thought to be a victim of Bonin and not Kearney?

This is an article from the Delta Democrat Times of Greenville, MS from July 6, 1977 about Patrick Kearney. I think some of the UIDs mentioned in the article have been identified since then (Randall Lawrence Moore is John Doe #3). I was especially unsure about the last two men mentioned at the end who were found in Imperial County (Imperial County's earliest listing in NamUs at this time is a man who died in an automobile accident in 2004).
ms_ddtjuly6_1977_zpse83b2eee.jpg

John Doe #1 was ID'd as Larry Espy. John Doe #2 was Mark Andrew Orach (20) of Ottawa Canada.

The two John Does found Southeast of Calexico were John E Demchik of Inglewood, CA, and I believe the other was Wilford Lawrence Faherty (20) of Redondo Beach.

John Doe #1 was ID'd as Larry Espy. John Doe #2 was Mark Andrew Orach (20) of Ottawa Canada.

The two John Does found Southeast of Calexico were John E Demchik of Inglewood, CA, and I believe the other was Wilford Lawrence Faherty (20) of Redondo Beach.

Thanks, Carl! I have had trouble trying to find out about the young men who were victims of Patrick Kearney. I'm not sure if it is because he took a plea instead of going to trial, but the news articles at the time didn't really discuss them very much (as opposed to the victims of Randy Kraft, William Bonin, Angelo Buono and Kenneth Bianchi, and other serial killers who were active at the time).

Yes this did have LE quite baffled. However, they quickly learned Kearney MO and labeled him the trash bag killer. I knew his last victim.

I also read the book and correct many errors. Also apparently info given that some family members were never told by LE. So they found out in the book considering child victims I find the very heartwrenching. Obviously the police spared the family some details. The book did not. I even think that laws exist against that sort of thing.

Yes this did have LE quite baffled. However, they quickly learned Kearney MO and labeled him the trash bag killer. I knew his last victim.

Just a few months ago, I spoke with an old friend from my teenage years (Colleen M) who lived in the Venice/West LA area back then. She told me that she was a close friend of Hondo Chance, and hung out with him in the days prior to his death.

I went to center street elementary school in el segundo with john lamay.
My brother also played pop warner football with john's older brother.
My last memory of john lamay, is from after school at the area around the 1-3rd grade playground area (where that hill with iceplant growing on it is), but john had this schwinn stingray bicycle, & he had his handlebars adjusted way too far foreward & makes a bike very awkward & even a little dangerous to ride, not to mention look really goofy.
But then again, that was john lamay.
But there were a bunch of us kids just playing around like kids do after school on the merry go round, swings, monkeybars, ect., & john was riding around in circles kinda weaving in & out of the groups of kids & kind of yelling & screaming things, but it was so long ago, i have no idea now remembering what he was saying.
That was when we were maybe in 5-6th grade (?)
but through my k through 6 years at center street, i had john in many of my classes, & he was just a normal kid like everyone else to me, anyways, he did'nt really do anything in all those years as i can recall as to stand out from all the other kids, maybe apart from his long hair later at el segundo jr. High.
This time period was somewhere in the later '60's early '70's.
I never really knew john all that well, i think my brother had more interaction with john's brother because of pop warner football.

After i found out how he died at the hands of that monster, i became, and i still am kind of enraged at the report john's head was never found with his body.
If this is actually true,
what is wrong with the police ?
Can we all get together, & talk to the california department of corrections & see if we can interview that monster in prison, since he apparently is still alive, & ask this monster exacly what he did with all of john, so that my former center street elementary school friend can finally be put to rest in peace ?

I went to center street elementary school in el segundo with john lamay.
My brother also played pop warner football with john's older brother.
My last memory of john lamay, is from after school at the area around the 1-3rd grade playground area (where that hill with iceplant growing on it is), but john had this schwinn stingray bicycle, & he had his handlebars adjusted way too far foreward & makes a bike very awkward & even a little dangerous to ride, not to mention look really goofy.
But then again, that was john lamay.
But there were a bunch of us kids just playing around like kids do after school on the merry go round, swings, monkeybars, ect., & john was riding around in circles kinda weaving in & out of the groups of kids & kind of yelling & screaming things, but it was so long ago, i have no idea now remembering what he was saying.
That was when we were maybe in 5-6th grade (?)
but through my k through 6 years at center street, i had john in many of my classes, & he was just a normal kid like everyone else to me, anyways, he did'nt really do anything in all those years as i can recall as to stand out from all the other kids, maybe apart from his long hair later at el segundo jr. High.
This time period was somewhere in the later '60's early '70's.
I never really knew john all that well, i think my brother had more interaction with john's brother because of pop warner football.

After i found out how he died at the hands of that monster, i became, and i still am kind of enraged at the report john's head was never found with his body.
If this is actually true,
what is wrong with the police ?
Can we all get together, & talk to the california department of corrections & see if we can interview that monster in prison, since he apparently is still alive, & ask this monster exacly what he did with all of john, so that my former center street elementary school friend can finally be put to rest in peace ?

John Lamay lived on the west side of town (on Valley Street) and I thought that he either went to Richmond Street school or Saint Anthony's.

I know that his older brother and my brother were classmates at St. Anthony's. I went to Center Street school, and so did my other brother, who was the same age as John. As far as I know, he never went to Center Street School, which is on the east side of town. I could be wrong though. They might have lived on the east side of town in the late 60's / early 70's, but if so, I was unaware of it.

Hi All,

I'm a researcher writing about Kearney and would love to talk with any of you about your memories of the victims, living in SoCal during the time when Kearney was active, and anything you know about the investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back