CA-Amber Leeanne Dubois (14 YO)- Escondido #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding calling her voicemail: It sounds to me like whomever tried to check her voicemail used the preprogrammed code for Verizon = *86, which automatically enters your stored password. The user, either Amber or her keepers, wouldn't know that the password had been changed. When it didn't go thru they quickly turned the phone off.
It seems to me that if Amber tried it, she might have tried it again. Anyone else might have realized what had happened and shut the phone off immediately not wanting the signal to be located.

Regarding how far away from school she was: She was spotted near the school around 7:10 am that day.

I don't think i knew about those "unconfirmed" sigthings....
i have a really dumb question....
What makes a sigthing "confirmed" or "unconfirmed"
Like...
There were 2 seperate parents that saw Amber in the morning on the way to school....
but then someone said they saw her walking w/ someone the next night...
and someone saw some girls hiking by the cave...
What makes the sigthing of Amber on the way to school that morning "confirmed"?
And the other two sightings "unconfirmed"?

From what I understand, a sighting is unconfirmed when it first comes in as a tip (for instance- the "unconfirmed" sighting of Amber on Rincon Avenue.). When it switches over to a confirmed sighting is when LE has some sort of evidence (examples would be a surveillence tape, additional witnesses that come forward, a credit card/debit card being used at that establishment, etc). Basically any sort of proof that she was actually there.

As far as what makes the sighting of Amber confirmed on her way to school I think was several students seeing her that morning (I think. I can't remember for sure). The other two sightings, in my opinion, are currently unconfirmed because LE doesn't have any sort of physical evidence that Amber was ever on Rincon Avenue with two teenagers (like one tip said), for example.

Regarding calling her voicemail: It sounds to me like whomever tried to check her voicemail used the preprogrammed code for Verizon = *86, which automatically enters your stored password. The user, either Amber or her keepers, wouldn't know that the password had been changed. When it didn't go thru they quickly turned the phone off.
It seems to me that if Amber tried it, she might have tried it again. Anyone else might have realized what had happened and shut the phone off immediately not wanting the signal to be located.

Regarding how far away from school she was: She was spotted near the school around 7:10 am that day.

I have verizon and when I use *86 I still have to put in a password or PIN.

Maybe I'm naive, but why would a kidnapper want to check her voice mail?

With my older Verizon phone they set it up to be programmed automatically. My newer one couldn't do that.

But either way, Amber would still have dialed *86 and then probably entered her password and then found out it wouldn't work.

To answer the other question about why her abductors would check Amber's voicemail, I suppose they would be curious of the messages her loved ones or LE might leave her and it would give them an idea of whether or not they were on the right path or not.

I don't really know the true answer. All we can do on this thread is speculate. There just are no clues for the public to work with. Hopefully LE has some better ones.

Mine too but it must vary as LELady mentioned.

If I dial *86 I get the prompt “Please enter your password then press #.” If I enter incorrect password I get “I’m sorry, this number is not valid. Please enter your password then press #.” To dial, connect, enter incorrect password and get notification of incorrect password, it took about 10-15 seconds.

There is a way to edit the voicemail number, put in your password and save it, so that when you dial voicemail it will auto-enter your password. Some people also have the vm # with password in it on their speed dial. (Although they caution on it since anyone who gets hold of your phone would then have access to your vm.) Not sure if Amber had her password programmed in but if she did and it was reset, she or anyone else trying would get the “number is not valid” message.

The cell phone thing is bugging me.

http://www.wikihow.com/Automatically-Sign-Into-Your-Verizon-Voicemail

[snipped]To answer the other question about why her abductors would check Amber's voicemail, I suppose they would be curious of the messages her loved ones or LE might leave her and it would give them an idea of whether or not they were on the right path or not. [snipped]

Good thought. I can see this as a possibility. Do you know when her disappearance was first in news or paper? Was it Sun, Feb 15? This article in North County Times came out Sun, Feb 15 I believe (says at top Feb 18 but comments start on Feb 15.) Amber's grandmother posted about NCT being only paper willing to print anything (her post is really sweet, see it at link). There are several other comments after her post about people in area receiving recorded messages from the PD on cell phones and home phones late Sat night about Amber (reverse 911).

http://www.northcountytimes.com/art...condido/z065d0afc140b76938825755e00216b60.txt

Amber's father's letter. See article with letter, video, and new pic of Amber.

March 10, 2009
Amber Dubois' Father Writes Her A Heartbreaking Letter

March 06, 2009

Amber,

Hello my sweetheart, this is Dad. It's late Friday night and I wanted to write you this letter since you are not here with me. This was supposed to be our weekend together and this afternoon at about the time I should be picking you up from the train station, I was thinking about what I could do to talk to you like we would be doing right now. So I decided that tonight I would write you this letter and get it out where you might get a chance to read it.

One of your friends brought over a CD with pictures of you and your friends at their birthday beach party. Some cool pictures of you guys, one is of you running in the water at night by the pier with a cool sunset behind you. It reminds me of our midnight grunion run while camping last summer and all the fun we had that night catching all those darn fish with our hands. I guarantee on our next run, I will catch more than you!!!

Your Teacher Mr. Reyburn is keeping your lamb, ( Nénette ) for you till you get back. You can bet your Mom is looking as hard as she can for you since she will be doing your barn clean-up duties until you return.

This is still my weekend, so I will be waiting to hear from you so I can come get you. Next Friday is the 13th again and it will be a month that you have been away, I don't want to wait that long before I get my next hug from you. Well, I really just wanted to say we all miss you and love you very much. I hope you get to read this, or better yet I hope you are back in my arms soon, so I can tell you in person. Don't lose hope in our finding you. I will never lose hope in our search for you.

Always Loving You,

DAD xoxo

http://www.760kfmb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9983081

Hello to my neighbor, RELady, and thanks for Cloudajo for keeping up with the news articles.

I walked Cougar Pass today with my husband and one of my dogs. As I mentioned before, Broadway, which is the street that runs in front of the high school, turns into Cougar Pass north of Escondido. This road runs along the side of a hill and is sparcely populated. There is a creek that runs along the road (and over it in one place). Many people use the road as a dumping ground for trash, furniture, cars, refrigerators, water heaters, etc. There is a lot of brush that someone could hide a body under, but it would also be easy to just stop a vehicle and throw a body over the side and it would roll and be hidden under brush. (God, I hope Amber's parents are not reading here.) We saw a black Van's slip-on shoe in the creek and a couple of pairs of underwear or bathing suit bottoms along the way. I am still curious as to whether the Laura Recovery Center has searched Cougar Pass.

RELady, which aqueduct was cordoned off during the search last weekend?

That was a truly heartbreaking letter that her father wrote to Amber, maybe because he shows such hope of her being alive.

Hello to my neighbor, RELady, and thanks for Cloudajo for keeping up with the news articles.

I walked Cougar Pass today with my husband and one of my dogs. As I mentioned before, Broadway, which is the street that runs in front of the high school, turns into Cougar Pass north of Escondido. This road runs along the side of a hill and is sparcely populated. There is a creek that runs along the road (and over it in one place). Many people use the road as a dumping ground for trash, furniture, cars, refrigerators, water heaters, etc. There is a lot of brush that someone could hide a body under, but it would also be easy to just stop a vehicle and throw a body over the side and it would roll and be hidden under brush. (God, I hope Amber's parents are not reading here.) We saw a black Van's slip-on shoe in the creek and a couple of pairs of underwear or bathing suit bottoms along the way. I am still curious as to whether the Laura Recovery Center has searched Cougar Pass.

RELady, which aqueduct was cordoned off during the search last weekend?

That was a truly heartbreaking letter that her father wrote to Amber, maybe because he shows such hope of her being alive.
I don;t mean to speak for RELady, but I believe she said it was Black Springs RD oh maybe Rock Springs?? between Lincoln and Mission? I THINK that is what she told me.

Yep, it was Rock Springs between Lincoln and Mission, where the bridge goes over the freeway. (Up above the old Kmart) Now I can't remember if that is where the aquaduct runs!! I am drawing a blank. I think it crosses under the bridge there. If not, the area was blocked for searching around the bridge. I drove by about 45 minutes later and the police van and car were gone so they must not have been there long.

Cougar Pass is a very suspect place. Gosh it brings up a memory tho. My daughter went up there with an older boy one time and "parked". The police came and sent them on their way, but she had to call home. It was a bad night. Taught her a good lesson.

That said, I know the sherriff does go up there now and then. At least on Sat. nights.

That letter is truly heartbreaking. Praying she is alive and safe and will be home soon. Praying for her family and friends. This poor girl.
Why is there such evil in the world, it is just sickening.

March 10, 2009

March 06, 2009

Amber,

Hello my sweetheart, this is Dad. It's late Friday night and I wanted to write you this letter since you are not here with me. This was supposed to be our weekend together and this afternoon at about the time I should be picking you up from the train station, I was thinking about what I could do to talk to you like we would be doing right now. So I decided that tonight I would write you this letter and get it out where you might get a chance to read it.

One of your friends brought over a CD with pictures of you and your friends at their birthday beach party. Some cool pictures of you guys, one is of you running in the water at night by the pier with a cool sunset behind you. It reminds me of our midnight grunion run while camping last summer and all the fun we had that night catching all those darn fish with our hands. I guarantee on our next run, I will catch more than you!!!

Your Teacher Mr. Reyburn is keeping your lamb, ( Nénette ) for you till you get back. You can bet your Mom is looking as hard as she can for you since she will be doing your barn clean-up duties until you return.

This is still my weekend, so I will be waiting to hear from you so I can come get you. Next Friday is the 13th again and it will be a month that you have been away, I don't want to wait that long before I get my next hug from you. Well, I really just wanted to say we all miss you and love you very much. I hope you get to read this, or better yet I hope you are back in my arms soon, so I can tell you in person. Don't lose hope in our finding you. I will never lose hope in our search for you.

Always Loving You,

DAD xoxo

OMG....i am literally crying right now...
i honestly can't even imagine....
i....i'm at a loss for words right now....
I hope you come home soon Amber...alive and safe...and into your dad's arms...:(

Mine too but it must vary as LELady mentioned.

If I dial *86 I get the prompt “Please enter your password then press #.” If I enter incorrect password I get “I’m sorry, this number is not valid. Please enter your password then press #.” To dial, connect, enter incorrect password and get notification of incorrect password, it took about 10-15 seconds.

There is a way to edit the voicemail number, put in your password and save it, so that when you dial voicemail it will auto-enter your password. Some people also have the vm # with password in it on their speed dial. (Although they caution on it since anyone who gets hold of your phone would then have access to your vm.) Not sure if Amber had her password programmed in but if she did and it was reset, she or anyone else trying would get the “number is not valid” message.

The cell phone thing is bugging me.

http://www.wikihow.com/Automatically-Sign-Into-Your-Verizon-Voicemail

Thanks. I didn't know that. My cell phone is like my computer. Out of ignorance I don't take advantage of all the things it can do.

I walked Cougar Pass today with my husband and one of my dogs. As I mentioned before, Broadway, which is the street that runs in front of the high school, turns into Cougar Pass north of Escondido. This road runs along the side of a hill and is sparcely populated. There is a creek that runs along the road (and over it in one place). Many people use the road as a dumping ground for trash, furniture, cars, refrigerators, water heaters, etc. There is a lot of brush that someone could hide a body under, but it would also be easy to just stop a vehicle and throw a body over the side and it would roll and be hidden under brush. (God, I hope Amber's parents are not reading here.) We saw a black Van's slip-on shoe in the creek and a couple of pairs of underwear or bathing suit bottoms along the way. I am still curious as to whether the Laura Recovery Center has searched Cougar Pass. [snipped]

YW. Is this Cougar Pass on the map? About 3.7 miles, 9 min drive from N Broadway? Maybe you can call the search center and mention that?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=cougar+pass+rd,+escondido,+ca&daddr=broadway+escondido,+ca&hl=en&geocode=&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=33.196035,-117.088337&sspn=0.016483,0.037894&ie=UTF8&ll=33.194742,-117.069969&spn=0.065935,0.151577&t=h&z=13

In this video about search it says "The several hundred volunteers are instructed not to touch anything or take anything with them. But to mark any potential evidence. To mark it, and let investigators know where to find it." (Starts about 1:10 in video.) Investigators then go out and collect any potential evidence I suppose? Did anything look like it was marked?

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...Passes-Three-Week/glZVEOPuJU6Tpv0R0QtFMw.cspx

FYI, from Amber's website.

Please Help Us Find Amber!

We are in continuous need of Volunteers
8am - 5pm
Everyday until Amber is home safely
for Flyer distribution
and Community Awareness
Organized Site Searches will Continue Every Weekend until Amber is home safely

Command Center location:
755 N. Quince Street
Escondido, CA 92025
(714) 883-6076

http://www.bigcatdesigns.com/amber/amber.htm

March 10, 2009

March 06, 2009

Amber,

Always Loving You,

DAD xoxo

Reading all these cases kinda make you numb inside. This letter broke my heart and brought tears to my eyes. I could feel the heart break in this mans words. I hope she comes home safe soon.

Has there been anything new today?
I've always wondered what goes on in between searches? If the searchs for Amber are only done on the weekends right now, what does her family and friends do in the meantime?I mean this has to be torture on them....are they expected to just "sit and wait"?How do you do that????
While we're all going on w/ our everyday lives, what are they doing? How does the time go by?
I just wish she could home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members