Fracking degradating North Dakota Plains

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Greed and corruption go hand in hand.

According to data obtained by ProPublica, oil companies in North Dakota reported more than 1,000 accidental releases of oil, drilling wastewater or other fluids in 2011, about as many as in the previous two years combined. Many more illicit releases went unreported, state regulators acknowledge, when companies dumped truckloads of toxic fluid along the road or drained waste pits illegally.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_n...aste-to-north-dakota?chromedomain=usnews&lite

North Dakota's Oil Boom Brings Damage Along With Prosperity

The downside is waste — lots of it. Companies produce millions of gallons of salty, chemical-infused wastewater, known as brine, as part of drilling and fracking each well. Drillers are supposed to inject this material thousands of feet underground into disposal wells, but some of it isn't making it that far.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/08/north-dakota-oil-boom-problems_n_1581949.html

The scarcity of water is looming as another crisis. The Bureau of Reclamation and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers estimates that 5.5 billion gallons of water will be needed over the next two decades for fracking, which uses a slurry of water, sand and other substances to push oil up to the wellheads. Pollution is another worry; fracking has already been associated with pollution of the water supply at the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming.
Read more:http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...alth—and-a-looming-humanitarian-crisis-103023 http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ming-humanitarian-crisis-103023#ixzz1xJ7912pL

Fracking doesn't seem to do any good for anyone anywhere, except for the people making money. Greed and selfishness will be the end of this country/planet as we know it.

ETA: The thing that really gets me is that there are more of the have-nots than there are wealthy business persons in this country. Why do we continue to let them take from us all to do things only they benefit from. When are the majority going to tell them enough is enough?

As a Californian, I still feel the sting of our cautious populate being criticized and called tree huggers for insisting that corporate business be conducted in a way that holds them accountable. It was a smear campaign that probably continues in certain circles, and I wouldn't doubt that it's a topic over beers and conference tables in NoDak about now...

Do it right the first time, fhs. There's plenty of information to guide them, it's not like they're striking out into unknown territory. The oil interests are exploiting that land with a free hand, because there's nothing to stop them at this point. Dare to say no, Dakotans!! Make them do it responsibly.

Jump on your politicians! And hurry.

:tsktsk:

As a Californian, I still feel the sting of our cautious populate being criticized and called tree huggers for insisting that corporate business be conducted in a way that holds them accountable. It was a smear campaign that probably continues in certain circles, and I wouldn't doubt that it's a topic over beers and conference tables in NoDak about now...

Do it right the first time, fhs. There's plenty of information to guide them, it's not like they're striking out into unknown territory. The oil interests are exploiting that land with a free hand, because there's nothing to stop them at this point. Dare to say no, Dakotans!! Make them do it responsibly.

Jump on your politicians! And hurry.

:tsktsk:

We are trying. Money is more important here and some of the landowners see the $$$$ and don't care about environment. The worst part is that, on tribal lands: The United States government regulates oil and gas leasing on Indian reservations and supervises the collection of royalties
(http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/v14n3/kadane.html) The deals made are pro-business and not in the best interests of the tribes.

Abstract
Part of the history of oil and gas development on Indian reservations concerns potential underpayment of royalties due to under-valuation of production by oil companies. This paper discusses a model used by the Shoshone and Arapaho tribes in a lawsuit against the Federal government, claiming the Government failed to collect adequate royalties. Portions of the case have been settled out of court with compensation paid to the Tribes. Other portions remain pending. This material can be used as a real example in a calculus-based probability and statistics course.

http://www.amstat.org/publications/jse/v14n3/kadane.html

<modsnip>

BBM I prefer Anarchist. ;)

Yesterday at the store, happens to be a WalMart because we live in the sticks, a jar of peanut butter, just plain old unfancy, though non-generic, peanut butter, was $6.49. Some might blame the fact that peanut butter is so expensive, and say it is so, because it is all President Obama's fault. I am glad I am not one of those people. Does WalMart really need to raise the price of peanut butter 75 cents in one week? If I want to go to a less expensive store, I'm driving 48 miles one way and, guess what, it's a Sam's Club. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So WalMarts in the Bakken area will be making beaucoup bucks on bottled water when the locals there turn their taps on and nasty water, which by the way was once prisitine, will be flowing. Downstream there are already environmental problems and what people forget is that everybody lives downstream from somebody. Unless of course you are a polar bear and isn't the big business mantra 'EFF THE POLAR BEAR? I wonder if Coca-Cola will ever use the polar bear as a logo again? :sigh: [Off to make peanut butter rye bread toast and coffee] :banghead:

Tap water from the Bakken area in North Dakota, anybody thirsty?

IMG_103 .JPG

ttp://bakkenwatch.blogspot.com/p/photos.html

Hamburger anyone? [Maybe this is why pink slime is being added to meat before it is sold]

This photo was sent from a ND farmer with a note that says:

"Within weeks of fracking jobs on well sites in the area of our land and water, our cattle go from healthy, productive animals to almost dead. This is a young cow that was in very good shape when she came in from pasture this fall. I fight now to keep her alive. This is not the first in our herd this has happened to. "

cow.JPG

http://bakkenwatch.blogspot.com/p/photos.html

We are ruining this earth and hardly anyone seems to care. It makes me sick. We just passed tougher rules in Ohio regarding fracking, but it is not enough. Big deal, they have to pay a fine, but they are still ruining the land and the water for future generations. It makes me sick.

BBM I prefer Anarchist. ;)

Yesterday at the store, happens to be a WalMart because we live in the sticks, a jar of peanut butter, just plain old unfancy, though non-generic, peanut butter, was $6.49. Some might blame the fact that peanut butter is so expensive, and say it is so, because it is all President Obama's fault. I am glad I am not one of those people. Does WalMart really need to raise the price of peanut butter 75 cents in one week? If I want to go to a less expensive store, I'm driving 48 miles one way and, guess what, it's a Sam's Club. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So WalMarts in the Bakken area will be making beaucoup bucks on bottled water when the locals there turn their taps on and nasty water, which by the way was once prisitine, will be flowing. Downstream there are already environmental problems and what people forget is that everybody lives downstream from somebody. Unless of course you are a polar bear and isn't the big business mantra 'EFF THE POLAR BEAR? I wonder if Coca-Cola will ever use the polar bear as a logo again? :sigh: [Off to make peanut butter rye bread toast and coffee] :banghead:

For fact check purposes, while Walmart has great prices on some things, like toiletries, towels, etc, their grocery prices have always been inflated vs true grocery stores. A couple times while at a Walmart, I thought I might just pick up a couple things to save a grocery store trip. Both times, the prices were substantially more (from a dollar to several $ more per item) than at the grocery store, so I quickly changed my mind.

Sounds like an entrepreneur in your area should open a reasonably priced corner store.

For fact check purposes, while Walmart has great prices on some things, like toiletries, towels, etc, their grocery prices have always been inflated vs true grocery stores. A couple times while at a Walmart, I thought I might just pick up a couple things to save a grocery store trip. Both times, the prices were substantially more (from a dollar to several $ more per item) than at the grocery store, so I quickly changed my mind.

Sounds like an entrepreneur in your area should open a reasonably priced corner store.

I've actually been buying some things, like tp and milk at Walgreens lately.

Wow I can't believe the picture of the cows. That is terrible! Is this happening to all the wildlife and livestock out there?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back