LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
----------

Perhaps this reference posted previously, got you, like me thinking about bike paths:

I brought up the "Bike Path Rapist"- (NY) case. I followed this closely on another crime website, when the news broke that the FBI had finally been able to get this guy's DNA from the glass and flatware where he had been dining with his wife. He had gone undetected for decades and another man was wrongly imprisoned for some of the crimes.

http://buffalo.ynn.com/content/all_...st--case-featured-on-investigation-discovery/

"Bike Path Rapist" case featured on Investigation Discovery

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20603452/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/t/trail-bike-path-rapist/
On the trail of the bike path rapist

A series of horrible rapes and murders on a peaceful bike path went unsolved over decades. Could they have been committed by the same man?

Luv this one:
How an Elite Police Task Force Tracked Down a Brutal Killer - Bike Path Rapist: A Cop's Firsthand Account of Catching the Killer Who Terrorized a Community
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Path-Rapist-Firsthand-Terrorized/dp/159921606X"]Amazon.com: Bike Path Rapist: A Cop's Firsthand Account of Catching the Killer Who Terrorized a Community (9781599216065): Jeff Schober, Dennis Delano: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DbdmZ45%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@51DbdmZ45%2BL[/ame]

'Concentric, bike path rapes are fairly common, imo'. We have had a few in GA. This one was the most brutal, imo:

Silver Comet Trail Killer Sentenced To Death | www.wsbtv.com

www.wsbtv.com/news/news/silver-comet-trail-killer...death/nFBNf/

May 23, 2009 – A jury sentenced Michael Ledford to death Friday for the murder of Jennifer Ewing along the Silver Comet Trail

However, a bump & grab of a victim on a bicycle using a vehicle & then using the preplanned ruse, is what makes the NC coed & Mickey's abduction rare, imo, possibly pointing to the same perp. The finess required in both the bump & the follow up ruse of closing the deal, would indicate that he is no stranger to the game.

This would also indicate an organized sexual predator, imo. He would have had to have rope or tie downs to secure the bike on top of the SUV in the NC attack. Who knows what other items were in his rape kit..

There has been no description given of the victim, nor do I expect there to be much more told about her than we already know. Victims identifications in rape cases is not usually given in the media here. One thing I wanted to offer up, a lot has been made about the fact that the Raleigh story is surfacing 10 days after the alleged incident took place. Is it possible that, for whatever reason, the victim didn't report it immediately? Another thing, JMO, but while this seems to have a lot in common with the Mickey Shunick case, I would be surprised if it is related. Like several others, I believe Mickey disappeared at the hands of a local perp, and I believe the Raleigh incident is probably someon local to this area. Also, one last thing. Someone was drawing parallels between the two cases and, IIRC, referred to Raleigh as a "college town'. NCSU is indeed in Raleigh, and the alleged victim is a coed, but when I think of a college town, I think more of Chapel Hill, where UNC students, staff and employees comprise a very large portion of the town's population. Raleigh is a city of a bit over 400,000, and calling it a college town is akin to calling New York City a college town because Columbia University is there. JMO

Ok. But, not really. Lafayette hasn't always had the college town feel, say like Austin, (City pop of 790,000 with 67% under 40 years of age. Austin was voted "America's No.1 College Town" by the Travel Channe) but revitalizing downtown, UL growth, etc it feels that way now, although small. The heart of lafayette is oil and gas. Raleigh has a population of 400,000 and it also has five universities. So of the 400,000 people in Raleigh, according to the 2010 census, 100,000 of them are college students. Then take into account the people that are employed at those universities and their families. That's at least 1/3 population.
NYC on the other hand is closing in on 9million people. Not even a comparable ball park.

----------

Perhaps this reference posted previously, got you, like me thinking about bike paths:

I brought up the "Bike Path Rapist"- (NY) case. I followed this closely on another crime website, when the news broke that the FBI had finally been able to get this guy's DNA from the glass and flatware where he had been dining with his wife. He had gone undetected for decades and another man was wrongly imprisoned for some of the crimes.

Altemio Sanchez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crazy. I was unaware of these crimes.

but why are the handlebars looking bigger black and bold, when they're narrow with handgrips of gold?

What is this light that is big and bright?

Why do you speak in rhyme this time?

Where do you see that the handlebars are black and bold instead of gold?

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/11262355/

Man sought in attempted rape in Raleigh

"He is white"
----------------
Let's be politically correct, right? And make a presumption that the suspect is "white." OK, so does that mean, "caucasian" or not? At the expense of the victims. Just like everyone thought the Bike Path Rapist, someone who went on raping and killing for decades, was "white." That is, until the FBI broke down the DNA profile and determined otherwise. And exonerated an innocent man, who had been wrongfully convicted.

Look at the pictured video still of the suspect in the article.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Foxfire -

I quoted my own post. What is your opinion?

Crazy. I was unaware of these crimes.

Neither was I, paddleallday.. By the way your nic reminds me of my favorite TShirt; 'Paddle faster, I think I hear Banjo Music'..LOL

I credit the internet and other communication gadgets for the enormous amount of awareness & information that was unavailable to us only a few years ago. Also why Newspapers and MSM have become antiquated news sources for the most part, imo..

'Think about it, if not for Toadlilly sharing the info about the Raleigh, NC abduction & rape attempt or Concentric sharing the info on the bike path rapist, we would all be left in the dark.

VISITS TO DRUDGE REPORT 2012 - 6/30/12

033,377,573 IN PAST 24 HOURS
918,768,001 IN PAST 31 DAYS
10,224,543,905 IN PAST YEAR

Neither was I, paddleallday.. By the way your nic reminds me of my favorite TShirt; 'Paddle faster, I think I hear Banjo Music'..LOL

I credit the internet and other communication gadgets for the enormous amount of awareness & information that was unavailable to us only a few years ago. Also why Newspapers and MSM have become antiquated news sources for the most part, imo..

'Think about it, if not for Toadlilly sharing the info about the Raleigh, NC abduction & rape attempt or Concentric sharing the info on the bike path rapist, we would all be left in the dark.

VISITS TO DRUDGE REPORT 2012 - 6/30/12

033,377,573 IN PAST 24 HOURS
918,768,001 IN PAST 31 DAYS
10,224,543,905 IN PAST YEAR

Wow. If Toadlilly and Concentric had not shared this info we would be unaware.
Makes me wonder about bike bump and grabs that were attempted and failed, the Vic refused to get in the car...IMO this guy in NC had practiced. He may have done a hit and run while practicing.

Yes. I remember you stating that as I was trying to determine where LE was searching but it became a bit of an issue so I let it drop.

I had thought that if we had an idea of where they were searching it would give us an idea of what they were thinking.

That location at the Cajundome and Frat house was the only one you stated they had dogs and crime scene tape up at IIRC

Yes, the only dogs I witnessed were between Cajun Dome and Frat Row.

The other searches I know of because they were publicized.....the K9's at Whiskey Bay 2X, the Texas dogs that came, and maybe a team from Opelousas. Those searches took place, but I did not see them.

I remember the "post the searches" upheaval. I know the volunteer searchers were asked to not tell where they'd searched, but I don't see a problem in posting searches that were observed by the public.

It was an analog phone as long as that battery is in it they should be able to triangulate her pings thus her location.

If that battery was indeed out then no they could not.

I am not certain what to make of this. It is said she received a call and a text but then you have the LPD Chief stating they could not.

I think they know where the phone was up until it was turned off or the battery was removed.....JMO: I think they know the phone was pinged near the Cajun Dome, because they had lots of officers searching there, plus the dogs. (JMO)

The Whiskey Bay drop for the bike has me convinced this is a local person. I just have not been able to find a way to believe that a passing-through-town serial offender made their way out there to dump the bike. Nor do I believe we are looking at one person taking Mickey and another the bike. That is too much activity on the street for no one to see anything. Not everyone is dishonest, so there would probably be a few people who passed by and did NOT steal the bike, yet apparently no one has said they saw a bike laying in the road. Or saw anyone putting one in their vehicle. Anyway, JMO

I totally agree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Foxfire -

I quoted my own post. What is your opinion?

concentric, I don't understand.. He appears to be white, but could be latino or other ethnicity.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...alt-Lake-lab-could-help-solve-cold-cases.html

"You have maybe DNA from a suspect, but you have no idea what the suspect looks like and no other leads," said Mouritsen. "It will take a person and it will basically look at what their affinity is to anyone of these five populations."

Those five populations, or ethnic groups, are African, Asian, Indian subcontinent, Indigenous Americas and Western European.

The test won't give police an exact picture of what someone looks like, but it can help give investigators a better idea.

Or, maybe more importantly, possibly eliminate certain ethnicities.

:fence:
concentric, I don't understand.. He appears to be white, but could be latino or other ethnicity.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...alt-Lake-lab-could-help-solve-cold-cases.html

"You have maybe DNA from a suspect, but you have no idea what the suspect looks like and no other leads," said Mouritsen. "It will take a person and it will basically look at what their affinity is to anyone of these five populations."

Those five populations, or ethnic groups, are African, Asian, Indian subcontinent, Indigenous Americas and Western European.

The test won't give police an exact picture of what someone looks like, but it can help give investigators a better idea.

I thought the NC rapist looks a little like the sketch of the guy in Morgan Harrington's case (Virginia), except the sketch looks like he's a light-skinned black guy and the guy in the NC attemoted rape of the bicyclist is white.

But I wouldn't want to be too quick to write this guy off from being the same guy as the sketch because he's not black - everyone was so sure the BR serial killer was a white guy & then it turned out to be a black guy (and IMO, LE telling everyone it was a white guy likely led to some of his victims opening their doors to him thinking it couldn't be the serial killer, that guy was white, & them him forcing his way inside) and then the bike path killer story you all have posted make me think twice about writing anyone off because he isn't the right race. And depending on how tan someone is at anytime, the light during an attack, & the trauma of the attack that may cause someone to not be able to give an accurate description, is it possible the victim who reported Morgan's killer (his DNA was found with her remains) as her rapist years before was mistaken about his skin tone and he's a white guy (and this attempted rapist is Morgan's perp?)? Hmmmm....hope it's being at least looked into and not completely written off 'cause he's white....
Also hope he is being considered in Mickey's case, however unlikely it may be given the distance, just in case.....

I remember the "post the searches" upheaval. I know the volunteer searchers were asked to not tell where they'd searched, but I don't see a problem in posting searches that were observed by the public.

If you hear of any activity at the 135 exit. And are able to say.
Would you let us know please.

Thank you

What is this light that is big and bright?

Why do you speak in rhyme this time?

Where do you see that the handlebars are black and bold instead of gold?

We're all exposed to the same images. I used the rhyme to stick in the mind.
Custom riders saw off their handlebars to the length of their shoulders.
Mickey is one of these. She steers her bike with her abdomen. She has very short handlebars, by day at least.

I'll admit, a series of comments I read on another forum, starting at about 5/19 are bothering me. I'd hate to give equal weight to the prattling statements of a crazy person.. but what he knew and when he knew it forces consideration of all his statements. He fleshes out the 'gossip gene' I've been hearing about. There are a few other places besides here to look for Mickey Shunick but you have to -WebSleuths.

I'm not into leading or convincing, or arguing really. Not when the foundation is swamp.

---------------
My bold above. There are more sub-groups within some of those groups. Just as an example: There is Sub-Saharan African, and Saharan African, which I don't see listed above.

IMO, for a suspect description to simply be: "white"

is an over-generalization.

http://buffalo.ynn.com/content/all_...st--case-featured-on-investigation-discovery/

"Bike Path Rapist" case featured on Investigation Discovery

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20603452/ns/dateline_nbc-crime_reports/t/trail-bike-path-rapist/
On the trail of the bike path rapist

A series of horrible rapes and murders on a peaceful bike path went unsolved over decades. Could they have been committed by the same man?

Luv this one:
How an Elite Police Task Force Tracked Down a Brutal Killer - Bike Path Rapist: A Cop's Firsthand Account of Catching the Killer Who Terrorized a Community
Amazon.com: Bike Path Rapist: A Cop's Firsthand Account of Catching the Killer Who Terrorized a Community (9781599216065): Jeff Schober, Dennis Delano: Books

'Concentric, bike path rapes are fairly common, imo'. We have had a few in GA. This one was the most brutal, imo:

Silver Comet Trail Killer Sentenced To Death | www.wsbtv.com

www.wsbtv.com/news/news/silver-comet-trail-killer...death/nFBNf/

May 23, 2009 – A jury sentenced Michael Ledford to death Friday for the murder of Jennifer Ewing along the Silver Comet Trail

However, a bump & grab of a victim on a bicycle using a vehicle & then using the preplanned ruse, is what makes the NC coed & Mickey's abduction rare, imo, possibly pointing to the same perp. The finess required in both the bump & the follow up ruse of closing the deal, would indicate that he is no stranger to the game.

This would also indicate an organized sexual predator, imo. He would have had to have rope or tie downs to secure the bike on top of the SUV in the NC attack. Who knows what other items were in his rape kit..

I've mentioned a few times how Mickey's case reminds me of the way Dana Ireland
http://karisable.com/crdanai.htm
was struck by three thugs who simply happened to see a pretty young woman riding her bike.

It was the first time they did something like this, though they did have a checkered past.

I figure whomever did this to Mickey is someone(s) similar. That they did it under cover of darkness and very late at night leads me to thinking it most likely is a first time crime of this nature. To me it seems like thugs trolling around at night looking for a victim, or just looking to get into trouble.

Assuming two or more thugs, cleanup could have been quick, and they are just lucky they weren't spotted.

Just my :twocents:

About the NC incident, I think it took 10 days to release because perhaps it took a while to find the perp on camera. I am really glad they posted that picture. I don't know where they got it, but the floor reveals an interesting pattern (inlaid?) So I am assuming they scanned much video to find it. That floor is a clue to where he was. The victim had a good description and could identify the perp. I wish we knew more about the background---- if she left a group of friends or where she was previously.

I am not certain, but I believe this photo was taken at the Harris-Teeter grocery store at Cameron Village, which is very close to where the incident allegedly took place. If you look closely at the floor tile, you can make out 'Harris' in the tile. That store is open 24 hours. If he bought something and didnt pay cash, I wouldnt think it should be too terribly hard to id him. JMO

IMO there is no reason to believe that the same person who took Mickey is the person in the NC assault attempt...we don't even know if Mickie was taken by a group, or a woman, or a couple, for that matter.

Women (anyone alone, really) are vulnerable at 2am, IMO...even in a car, but much more so on a bike or on foot.

And we still have Mickey's bike out at WB, which to me says "local" to Lafayette.

I am not certain, but I believe this photo was taken at the Harris-Teeter grocery store at Cameron Village, which is very close to where the incident allegedly took place. If you look closely at the floor tile, you can make out 'Harris' in the tile. That store is open 24 hours. If he bought something and didnt pay cash, I wouldnt think it should be too terribly hard to id him. JMO

This is what one of the comments under one article states.

I would like a recap of what dogs searched and wear. Apparently K-9s must have searched the area close to where the bike was dumped to clear the thought that the body was dumped nearby. So we know that the texas K-9 group cleared some of the Whiskey Bay area. What other areas were cleared by K9s?

If the body were weighted down in the water - maybe out in the middle of the lake/river/bay --- would the dogs still be able to pick up the scent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie