Model Loses Eye and Hand - Sues Plane Co.

My thoughts on this did a 180 after I asked a former pilot friend about it. I had been sure that the pilot/airline would be liable.

Sadly, I think now that she was inattentive for whatever reason. Apparently this was not her first use of private planes for travel (which MIGHT have made a difference).

I'm very sorry for her horrific injuries. But I think that she's not taking responsibility, and trying to blame someone else and make them pay. :( Unfortunatley this is a "sue them" world nowadays.

The only way that I can think of the pilot/airlines being at fault is if they had served her alcohol or drugs on board (not saying she drank or did any, just speculating) or if the pilot had told her to walk in front of the plane.

I do still think it should be standard policy for the pilot to stop the propellers during deboarding/boarding...just for safety and for protection of distracted or idiot passengers. JMO.

she should be happy to be alive

disgusting

I read a few weeks ago that she is writing a book about this experience. Not sure where I read that so I don't have a link....I'm fairly certain her father had said that.

dailymail said:
The book deal, whose value is still unknown, is not the only financial gain that Ms Scruggs will be receiving out of the incident.

Yep. She's doing it for even more money.
Disgusting.

Meh. She went with 'realistic'.
I, myself, if I were in need of a prosthesis, would go with the bionic looking sort.
It looks shorter than a real arm doesn't it?
It doesn't look like it can be used for anything either.
Since she has extra millions lying around, I wonder why she didn't go for something that wasn't just for looks?

In this case, I don't have any problem with her suing. She did suffer some serious injuries, so it's not like she is pretending or suing for "emotional distress." Obviously those type of injuries are going to limit her modeling career, so there is a loss of future earnings. And why wasn't propeller turned off, as passengers were exiting the plane?

Your point is moot.
The 'accident' was her fault, not the pilots.
She's the one that walked in front of the plane after being warned to walk along the wing when deplaning.
She deserved $0.
Frivolous lawsuit.
True shame that she got any money at all.

You must not have read up on all the facts of this jenny. Your take on it really surprised me. You're usually a no-bs poster.

How did he warn her? All I see is that he claims he gestured. Who knows if she even understood what the gestures meant? Why was the propeller left on? There are lots of frivolous lawsuits, but with severity of the injuries this young woman suffered I don't see this one as frivolous.

From http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...ren-scruggs-before-propeller-accident-report/
The unidentified pilot, reported to be Curt Richmond of Frisco, Texas, says he extended his arm out to guide her away from the propeller, and told her to walk behind the airplane.

Also:
“Upon noticing that she was exiting in front of the strut, the pilot leaned out of his seat and placed his right hand and arm in front of her to divert her away from the front of the airplane and the propeller,” the report states. “He continued to keep his arm extended and told the passenger that she should walk behind the airplane.”

^ That's how she was warned, and it's FAR more than a 'gesture'. I take it him sticking his arm out was sort of like the 'mother's arm' in a car. Like he was holding her back from going around the front just like the 'mother's arm' hold's passenger's from being propelled forward in a car.

From http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...ren-scruggs-before-propeller-accident-report/

Also:

^ That's how she was warned, and it's FAR more than a 'gesture'. I take it him sticking his arm out was sort of like the 'mother's arm' in a car. Like he was holding her back from going around the front just like the 'mother's arm' hold's passenger's from being propelled forward in a car.

From that same article.

“The pilot of a bird like an Aviat Husky is going to in almost all cases shut the engine down completely and have the propeller stop, which happens almost immediately as soon as you shut it down,” ABC News Aviation Consultant John Nance explained in a Dec. 15 “GMA” report after the accident. “Because we know the danger of having a human being anywhere close to a twirling prop.”
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...ren-scruggs-before-propeller-accident-report/

So, sorry. It wasn't exactly unexpected that something like this could have happened. Why didn't he shut the engine down and have the propeller stop while people were getting on and off the plane?
Even if he told her to go toward the back of the plane, she could have misunderstood or become disoriented. To me it sounds like a perfectly legit lawsuit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back