'The Avengers' Agent Steed, actor Patrick Macnee, dies at 93

zwiebel

Reaction score
British actor Patrick Macnee, who was best known for his role as bowler-hatted Agent John Steed in TV series 'The Avengers', has died in California aged 93.

His son Rupert says he passed away at his Rancho Mirage home with his family around him. The article says he was born to a noble family but I'm not sure which one. He went to Eton though so it's probably correct.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/arts/patri...eed-of-tv-s-the-avengers-dead-at-93-1.3127868

Attachments

• patrick-macnee.jpg
    patrick-macnee.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 13
Telegraph:

Patrick Macnee, actor - obituary
Actor who brought Etonian nonchalance and jaunty eccentricity to the part of Steed in The Avengers

Guardian:

Patrick Macnee obituary
Actor best known as John Steed, bowler-hatted hero of The Avengers

From the Telegraph, on his masterwork, for those too young to know its brilliance:

The Avengers became an unlikely farrago of Aleister Crowley and P G Wodehouse, a mix of the surreal and the camp set in an England of village greens and stately homes that concealed murderous marriage bureaus, sinister vicars and scientists over-boiling the white heat of technology. Produced with considerable visual flair, it became synonymous with the “Swinging Sixties” and was one of the first British programmes to do well in America.

Can you find the theme tune, wf? Driving myself crazy trying to remember it.

Can you find the theme tune, wf? Driving myself crazy trying to remember it.
This?

[video=youtube;10QW3Az1FTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10QW3Az1FTw[/video]

Loved that show! Lots of sizzle without sleaze........JMO

That's it! Thank you. :)

ETA: To wf; forgot to quote post I was so excited!

So sad to hear. :(
One of my favorites. Was it on Friday nights?

What sad news.

I know he lived to a grand age, but his death together with Ron Moody and Christopher Lee in such quick succession makes me sad to lose some really iconic actors.

I can remember loving The Avengers and watching every week with my mum when I was a child. I started watching when Diana Rigg co-starred and I thought she was fabulous and even at such a young age could see the chemistry between them.

John Steed was such a cool character - wonderful stuff.

I heard a lovely tribute to Patrick McNee on the radio news this evening. They interviewed Diana Rigg who said what a lovely, generous charming man he was. It was nice to think that he spent the rest of his life living quietly in California and apparently really loving it. [He moved there with his family for the dry atmospheric conditions to help his daughter who had asthma.]

RIP

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back