Media Exposure - #2

Coming up on the anniversary of Anna's disappearance. Any upcoming stories? Maybe a mention of a possible match will bring attention to the case, just in case not her...Prayers for her family.
Thank you. I prepared a press release for the Coastsider, and their editor will be telephoning San Mateo County officials tomorrow to verify some points. And a professional photo restorer has produced a beautiful portrait for the 39th anniversary.

Thank you. I prepared a press release for the Coastsider, and their editor will be telephoning San Mateo County officials tomorrow to verify some points. And a professional photo restorer has produced a beautiful portrait for the 39th anniversary.

Thank you Annasmom. I'm looking forward to the press release and learning what the San Mateo County officials have to say. Looking forward to seeing the photo too when it is released.

While researching, I found this article from July of 2011.

The county's forensic lab began its own DNA program in 2005. Earlier this year, the lab got a grant for $217,000 to address 120 cold cases dating as far back as the mid-1970s. Unlike current cases, cold cases at the county are done on overtime. The grant, which is expected to run through March, allows work on cold cases to be brought into the normal workday and the money even allows the lab to hire more employees to work the cases.
<snip>

• The disappearance of a 5-year-old Half Moon Bay girl is one of the cases that garners recurring inquiries. Anna Christian Waters was playing in her backyard, which bordered Purisima Creek, a little after 2 p.m. on a January day in 1973. Within 15 minutes, she was gone. Searches of the surrounding area were unsuccessful, and the family started to suspect foul play when her stepbrother told the family he saw a strange couple trying to lure her into their car.

"We have worked that (case) repeatedly ... Some of the cold cases are boxed up in files, but Anna Waters is very much still in our office," Gibbons said.

http://www.hmbreview.com/community/article_78fde97e-a8b9-11e0-9231-001cc4c002e0.html

Annasmom, I am sorry the coastside and local HMB media is not interested or appears to be not interested.

I am adding information for a journalist who focuses on missing persons cases. I think she will be very interested in Anna's case. I've read many of her articles on missing persons.

Isabelle Zehnder, columnist and newsperson, reports on missing persons, top news, and family issues. Isabelle has worked as an investigative reporter for over six years extensively reporting on missing persons, children and teens abused in boot-camp type programs, and other pressing issues. She has a legal background, has worked as a child and family advocate, and is a Certified Family Coach. Have a story to share?

Her email is at the link. I won't add it here at WS, as the webcrawlers would then pick up her email and send her all sorts of spam.

Please contact her! I am 90% sure she will be interested in writing about Anna.

Thanks.

Here's the link:

http://www.examiner.com/missing-persons-in-national/isabelle-zehnder

Thirty-nine years ago today.
waters_anna6.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/waters_anna.html

Just looking at this picture made me smile. I've been thinking about Anna, and her family, all day.

Just saw this in the missing persons info and support only forum. Thought I would carry it over here.

Dr. Phil's staff is currently working on a show about missing persons. If you want to share your story and/or have any outstanding issues that need to be resolved, or if you want advice from Dr. Phil, email information and pictures about the missing person and your contact information to Jennifer.henderson@cbs.com.

Dr. Phil reaches a very wide audience. His audience might be perfect for Anna's story. She might be a stay at home mom, or perhaps if she has children a friends parent or baby sitter might recognize Anna. Maybe former classmates who are stay at home caregivers.

This might be an avenue to consider.

Just saw this in the missing persons info and support only forum. Thought I would carry it over here.

Dr. Phil reaches a very wide audience. His audience might be perfect for Anna's story. She might be a stay at home mom, or perhaps if she has children a friends parent or baby sitter might recognize Anna. Maybe former classmates who are stay at home caregivers.

This might be an avenue to consider.

i think that is a good idea someone should send over the info to dr phil's staff

I am preparing an email today for Dr. Phil's Missing Person's show..

I just sent an email to CBS San Francisco asking them to consider a little documentary about Anna.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/

~~
I did receive an email from CBS San Fran and they asked for a local contact which I gave them. Fingers crossed they will seriously consider producing a Doc or at least flash Anna's photo on TV. Being a local station, I hope it reaches alot of people. Will update if I hear more.

Carrying this over from a post of our fabulous co-owner of Websleuths.

Looking for families and close friends of people who have disappeared
for possible inclusion in Investigation Discovery show in its 5th
season.

Disappeared follows real missing persons cases through the eyes of the
families and investigators who work tirelessly to find these people.

We are looking for people willing to be interviewed on camera, to tell
their story and all of the steps that have been taken in their search,
as well as be willing to discuss their personal relationships with the
missing person in order to help us tell the whole story. We're looking
for unresolved cases and those that have been resolved and involved
extensive searches.

If you would be willing to share your experience, please send an email
to Erin at erin.browne@nbcuni.com

Please include:

Submitter name, contact phone, email address

Name of person who is/was missing, date they disappeared

Submitter relationship to missing person

Brief outline of known details. (When did the person disappear and what
were the circumstances of their disappearance? Are there any thoughts as
to what happened? What course has the investigation taken? What are the
frustrations, hopes, and hardships your family may have encountered in
the search? Are there any standout Investigators or organizations that
have helped in your search?)

Please cut and paste any links to websites or news stories

[We will respond to emails as we can, and while we hope to respond to
everyone who submits - depending on the amount of submissions, there may
be a long delay and we may not be able to respond at all. Please keep in
mind that not all stories will be a right fit for our series and that
submission does not guarantee inclusion in the series.]

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Investigation Discovery Disappeared Needs Your Stories

I would love to see Anna's case featured on the Discovery series Disappeared. The show airs on Discovery ID. It initially airs here in the states first, but eventually makes it's way overseas and is aired abroad.

Here is the direct link to the site for the show, so Annasmom and Anna's family can have a better idea about the show.

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/disappeared/

IMO, Disappeared is a bit less sensational than Dr. Phil and perhaps a bit less intrusive than the 'psychoanalysis therapist' style of Dr. Phil.

Also, I think the request needs to come from family or close personal friends, as the site is asking for direct relationship to the missing person.

~~
I did receive an email from CBS San Fran and they asked for a local contact which I gave them. Fingers crossed they will seriously consider producing a Doc or at least flash Anna's photo on TV. Being a local station, I hope it reaches alot of people. Will update if I hear more.

~ Following up, Dr. Doogie did CBS San Fran ring you at all? She asked me for a number and I believe I gave her your number.

Thanks, SK.

America's Most Wanted.

America's Most Wanted
PO Box Crime TV
Washington DC 20016

Please make sure to note whether there is a known fugitive charged with the crime, or whether the perpetrator is yet to be identified. If charges have been filed, please note the police agency that filed the charges. It is also helpful to let us know what photos and/or video are available of the victim and the fugitive.

http://www.amw.com/about_amw/faq.cfm

~ I would gladly prepare a package for consideration to AMW if you people think this would be a good idea. I realize that they probably want a case where they can look for a perp. . Well, in a way, yes. Where is Anna?

Thanks, SK

I just found a show on Fox called "Missing"--not the drama series, but rather a reality show which has pictures of missing individuals. Does anybody know anything about this? I wonder if we could get on.

I just found a show on Fox called "Missing"--not the drama series, but rather a reality show which has pictures of missing individuals. Does anybody know anything about this? I wonder if we could get on.

Hi!
Would you have a link to the show?

thx!

Dr. Doogie or Annasmom, any thoughts on approaching local media for a 40th anniversary article? I wonder if media will light a little fire with the ME and CA-DOJ...

Dr. Doogie or Annasmom, any thoughts on approaching local media for a 40th anniversary article? I wonder if media will light a little fire with the ME and CA-DOJ...
I think it's a good idea, but frankly, I have done about as much as I am able to do with the media. After two very agonizing week-long sessions with TV people who never used the stories, and after submitting a dozen stories here and there and having them rejected, I'm pretty discouraged about any kind of publicity...and certainly would not want any more stories in the small local papers. These have just resulted in people (who already know the story) stopping me on the street and crying. I don't want to be negative about this (because it IS a good idea), but I need to tell you how I feel about being personally involved in such an effort.

I think it's a good idea, but frankly, I have done about as much as I am able to do with the media. After two very agonizing week-long sessions with TV people who never used the stories, and after submitting a dozen stories here and there and having them rejected, I'm pretty discouraged about any kind of publicity...and certainly would not want any more stories in the small local papers. These have just resulted in people (who already know the story) stopping me on the street and crying. I don't want to be negative about this (because it IS a good idea), but I need to tell you how I feel about being personally involved in such an effort.

Not negative at all, Annasmom. I appreciate very much your honesty about working with the media, especially local media. It gives me better understanding of what might be of interest to you when reading your above post and your post upthread about the show Missing on Fox. I wish someone would identify that TV program. I don't have TV so I'm not familiar. Hopefully someone else will chime in who is familiar with the show.

If I understand and read your posts correctly, you are more interested in something that would get Anna's picture and case details in front of a national audience in order for the greatest number of people to see her photo(s). Is that correct?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back