CANADA CANADA - Shawn Cameron Lamb, Suspected SK Caught in Winnipeg MB

Missing teen's family stays vigilant

The safe return of Dominic and Abby Maryk last weekend was the best possible outcome anyone could have hoped for.

Sadly, for every family that has its prayers answered, there are countless others left wondering whether they’ll ever see their missing loved ones again.

It’s a feeling family and friends of Lorna Blacksmith know all too well. Nearly five months after she disappeared in Winnipeg, some of the people who love her admit it’s sometimes difficult maintaining hope they’ll see her alive again.

More: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/06/03/missing-teens-family-stays-vigilant

Woman, 18, missing for a month
Feb 2012

The head of a northern Manitoba reserve is pleading for tips on the whereabouts of a young woman who has been missing for nearly a month.

More: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/02/07/woman-18-missing-for-a-month

Two months, no sign of Lorna

March 2012

[snip]

Nearly two weeks later, city cops made a plea for tips on her whereabouts and issued the following description of her: Metis, about 5-foot-4, 110 pounds, with medium-length blond hair and grey/hazel eyes. She was last seen wearing black pants, a white hooded sweater, a red bomber-style jacket and white boots.

On Monday, police said they have that she may be in Alberta, either Calgary, Lethbridge or Red Deer and officers are "concerned for Blacksmith's well-being."

More: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/03/12/two-months-no-sign-of-lorna

Winnipeg police continue to search for missing girl Lorna Blacksmith
May 2012

New!!
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2012/06/25/19917331.html

"WINNIPEG - A 52-year-old Winnipeg man charged with killing three Winnipeg prostitutes between September and January was initially being investigated for sexual assault, police revealed.

Shawn Cameron Lamb is being held on three counts of second-degree murder in the slayings of Tanya Jane Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair and Lorna Blacksmith, court records state.

All three women were reported missing to Winnipeg police."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/06/25/shawn-cameron-lamb-murder-winnipeg_n_1625297.html
"Police Chief Keith McCaskill acknowledged that people have been speculating for some time there was serial killer preying on women in Winnipeg, but there hadn't been evidence to tie any cases together until now.

"We never said there was no serial killer. We said we had no evidence to suggest there is one," McCaskill said. "Now we have that evidence."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/rich/news/story/2012/06/25/mb-homicide-arrest.html
"The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs (AMC) held a news conference following the police announcement Monday.

Grand Chief Derek Nepinak said First Nations women are sacred and valued citizens of aboriginal communities and must not be treated as second-class citizens.

Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak Grand Chief David Harper said that he is demanding a public inquiry into missing and murdered women in Manitoba.

The AMC will be holding a vigil for Sinclair, Nepinak and Blacksmith on Tuesday at the Manitoba legislature and said members will not leave until a public inquiry is called.

Police said they are looking into the possibility that there could be more victims"

Developing story out of Winnipeg, finally an arrest in the disappearances and deaths of local Aboriginal women. The suspect has an extensive record and seems to have accelerated his behaviour in the past year. The disappearance of these and other women has been a flashpoint issue for some time now in the city and in Western Canada more generally. Story and links follow.

A Canadian drifter with an extensive criminal background is now accused of becoming a Winnipeg serial killer.

Shawn Cameron Lamb, 52, has been charged with three counts of second-degree murder for the deaths of Tanya Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair, and Lorna Blacksmith, police announced Monday morning. Police are also investigating whether the accused could be involved in other unsolved cases of murdered or missing women, the source says.

All three women worked in the city’s sex-trade industry. Police said the bodies of Sinclair and Blacksmith have been located – reportedly in dumpsters and wrapped in plastic – while the search for Nepinak’s remains is ongoing.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...apperance-killing-of-two-women-160245665.html

s

My heart truly goes out to the families of these young ladies.
APTN news video
http://aptn.ca/pages/news/2012/06/2...nnection-with-murder-of-3-first-nation-women/

"All three women disappeared within the space of five months around the same street, Ellice Ave, known locally as Winnipeg’s “street of tears.” Nepinak disappeared last September, Sinclair in December and Blacksmith disappeared in January of this year.

According to court records, police allege that Blacksmith was killed Jan. 12, while Sinclair was killed Dec. 18, 2011, and Nepinak was murdered on Sept. 13, 2011."

More details emerging this morning -- looks like Lamb is being looked at for other unsolved murders, especially of at-risk Aboriginal women, right across the country. Several women are already reporting that they came forward and reported Lamb to the police over the past year -- and heard nothing afterwards. I think this is likely to play out quite a bit like Pickton in Vancouver, though with the added sting that the lessons that ought to have been learned from that horror might not have been learned well enough.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/accused-serial-killer-arrested-160344825.html

McCaskill said it's irrelevant how the murdered women made a living.
"They are victims and they should never have been," McCaskill said.
He said Lamb, who is originally from Sarnia, Ont., has travelled extensively across the country and investigators will be in contact with other police agencies to see if he is connected with any unsolved homicides in other communities.
A man who identified himself as Lamb's stepbrother from Ontario spoke briefly with the Free Press on Monday afternoon.
He said someone at his work asked him what his brother's middle name is, and when he answered "Cameron," he immediately told him he'd better check the news.
"It was all over the Internet," said the man, who refused to give his name. "He's an idiot. I'm glad he is where he is.
"I feel sorry for those women. I'm a compassionate person. I cried when I heard... Why wouldn't I?"
Police said it's believed Lamb has lived here full time since last year, but has had contact with police in the city dating back to 1999. It's unknown if he lived here full time for all of that period, though.
Guyader said the bodies of Blacksmith and Sinclair are too badly decomposed to determine a cause of death or to know if they had been sexually assaulted. However, he said forensic work is being done to try to answer those questions.

s

I wonder if he is connected to the Highway of Tears?

All women are sacred and valued citizens.

An inquiry after Lamb's conviction would be interesting. The justice officials can then explain how this person was released again and again on a recognizance or bail.

Another big problem is the sex trade on the city streets. Not just in Winnipeg but in every city. Why is there a market for young girls??

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/06/27/19924391.html

""This isn't just a provincial challenge, it's a national challenge," Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs Grand Chief Derek Nepinak told the predominantly female crowd, many of whom held or wore signs of protest and remembrance.

Along with calling for a public inquiry, Nepinak also called for the federal government to restore funding to Sisters in Spirit, an initiative to track roughly 600 national cases of murdered and missing women and raise awareness about high rates of violence perpetrated against aboriginal women and girls.

"We have to do something about this, we cannot sit and wait," said MKO Grand Chief David Harper, saying there are 80 cases of missing and murdered women in Manitoba alone
"

Turns out Lamb was writing a self-help book -- in it, he provides a tantalizing glimpse into his criminal motivations, and surprise surprise, he has anger issues with respect to women:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...ler-angry-about-abuse-by-women-160552535.html

A man accused of killing three women has admitted to harbouring years of pent-up anger over neglect and abuse he says he experienced at the hands of several important women in his life.

Court documents obtained by the Winnipeg Free Press show Shawn Lamb, 52, was struggling to deal in recent years with being removed from his now-deceased biological mother’s care at the age of two as part of the “60’s scoop,” taken from his First Nation community and raised by a white family in Ontario.

Lamb claims his foster mother, who is no longer alive, sexually and physically abused him while also introducing him to alcohol when he was just nine. He makes similar claims against his estranged stepsister, saying she would play “doctor” with him as a young child and molest him.

“Why did they stomp out the last tiny vestiges of self worth from this child? What wrong had he committed? Why was he kicked and beaten, raped and abused in both mind and body? Why?” Lamb states in an excerpt of a self-help book he was writing.

Police have disclosed no motive for the three homicides in Winnipeg that Lamb is accused of committing. He is charged with second-degree murder in the deaths of Tanya Nepinak on Sept. 13, 2011, Carolyn Sinclair on Dec. 18, 2011 and Lorna Blacksmith on Jan. 12.
Sinclair and Blacksmith’s bodies have been found, but Nepinak’s remains have not been located. Investigators are scouring unsolved and missing persons cases around the country to determine if Lamb could be linked to any other slayings.

Lamb previously told court he was diagnosed in 2001 as bipolar and took solace in expressing his deepest, darkest feelings through the written word. He was working with the John Howard Society in 2010 to help express his views and said he wanted to publish the book to help others avoid the same mistakes he’d made.

“Once upon a time there was born a baby boy, a little Indian boy, as sweet and fat-cheeked and gifted by the Creator as any baby anywhere. He was born innocent, as innocent as a puppy,” Lamb began in the excerpt given to provincial court Judge Linda Giesbrecht. “An innocent baby deserves not to be torn apart from its mother.”

First nations groups are calling for an inquiry; the province is demurring. But there seem to have been all sorts of warning bells that went unheeded, from Lamb's bizarro book to the four -- and counting -- women who called in tips about his violent behaviour towards them. Plus ca change...

s

Would you believe this cowardly murderer actually sought protection from women?!
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/06/28/19932536.html

WINNIPEG - Accused serial killer Shawn Lamb once sought a protection order against a former girlfriend he said threatened to kill him.

The protection order is among several court files that shed light on Lamb's recent history with women"

I live about an hour outside of Winnipeg and am very connected with the city's Aboriginal community. Over the past couple of days, I have become privy to the following regarding Shawn Lamb:
-- One young woman (under age 15) that I know is considered a "teen at risk" by the Winnipeg Police Dept. She had a few "run-ins" with Lamb. Once when she had disappeared from home she met Lamb and was invited to do drugs with him. He tried to sexually assault her but she fought and got away. She reported it to the police and was one of the reasons they began investigating Lamb.
-- Another adult woman met Lamb through the prison system. She saw Lamb at one of the vigils held by the Aboriginal Community for the Missing and Murdered Women. He actually came up to her and asked if she remembered him.
-- Both the teen and the woman are traumatized by Lambs arrest and the allegations against him and are relieved that they survived their encounters with him.

I just found this article. The woman quoted is a friend of mine -- her daughter is the girl mentioned above.

I live about an hour outside of Winnipeg and am very connected with the city's Aboriginal community. Over the past couple of days, I have become privy to the following regarding Shawn Lamb:
-- One young woman (under age 15) that I know is considered a "teen at risk" by the Winnipeg Police Dept. She had a few "run-ins" with Lamb. Once when she had disappeared from home she met Lamb and was invited to do drugs with him. He tried to sexually assault her but she fought and got away. She reported it to the police and was one of the reasons they began investigating Lamb.
-- Another adult woman met Lamb through the prison system. She saw Lamb at one of the vigils held by the Aboriginal Community for the Missing and Murdered Women. He actually came up to her and asked if she remembered him.
-- Both the teen and the woman are traumatized by Lambs arrest and the allegations against him and are relieved that they survived their encounters with him.

I just found this article. The woman quoted is a friend of mine -- her daughter is the girl mentioned above.

That poor Mother must be going through h..l, thinking of the what ifs, wishing her and daughter strength to overcome her difficulties.Reading about his prior crimes, I have wondered how many unsolved crimes he might have been responsible for in Ontario, especially this cold-case..
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8078323#post8078323"]Mary Hammond, missing, presumed murdered coldcase /83 has new leads Brantford Ontario - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

That poor Mother must be going through h..l, thinking of the what ifs, wishing her and daughter strength to overcome her difficulties.Reading about his prior crimes, I have wondered how many unsolved crimes he might have been responsible for in Ontario, especially this cold-case..
Mary Hammond, missing, presumed murdered coldcase /83 has new leads Brantford Ontario - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The teen's mother, stepfather and extended family have worked so hard to help this girl overcome her addiction issues. The mother herself had addiction issues when she was younger but now is a young leader in the aboriginal community and helps parents who are going through the same thing she and her daughter are experiencing.

Believe me, these are good people who are trying to heal from generations of abuse and addictions. To have an alleged killer like Lamb in their midst is terrifying, especially since his deceased mother was aboriginal. Many aboriginal people have suffered from trauma similar to what Lamb says he experienced in his youth -- many were taken away from their parents and put in residential schools where they suffered physical, emotional and sexual abuse for years (as did my late husband). However, it is hard for people to understand what made Lamb turn against his own people by allegedly assaulting and/or killing aboriginal girls and women.

Posted this article on this other thread:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8102679#post8102679"]CANADA Possible SK targetting sex trade workers in Ottawa, Ontario [/ame]

Morrisseau murder probed for links to suspected serial killer
Updated: Friday, June 29, 2012 05:23 PM EDT

Gatineau police will reach out to their Winnipeg counterparts to explore any potential links between the unsolved murder of Kelly Morrisseau and those of a suspected serial killer charged in the deaths of three aboriginal women.

Morrisseau, a 27-year-old aboriginal woman who lived in Vanier, was seven months pregnant when her body was found in the early morning hours of Dec. 10, 2006, by a hiker in Gatineau Park. She had been stabbed a dozen times.
- - - - - -
But with the June 21 arrest in Winnipeg of Shawn Cameron Lamb, the Morrisseau case is getting renewed attention as Gatineau police determine whether there may be any links.
A drug-addled drifter with more than 100 convictions, 52-year-old Lamb is charged in the deaths of three aboriginal women: Tanya Jane Nepinak, Carolyn Sinclair and Lorna Blacksmith.

full article: http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/29/morrisseau-murder-probed-for-links-to-suspected-serial-killer

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back