student kills self after webcam spying UPDATE: Conviction Overturned

Spoiled arrogant little rich kid. He got 30 days for this and probably will not even serve all that. Tragic all around.

His real punishment will come when he tries to get a job in the real world. <modsnip>

Well, a message has been delivered. He received jail time, and that will be it. Neither the Clementi's nor MB wanted a long sentence, just enough to send a message.

Sad all around. This will follow DR for the rest of his life - whether he cares or not we may never know. He has ruined many lives with his criminal actions and is now a big boy off to the big boy jail.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/dharun_ravi_sentenced_to_jail.html

eta: It spoke volumes to me that DR would not even stand and speak for himself in his own defense. Nothing should have stopped him from addressing the court today as he was already found guilty. I think he is a coward.

I'm concerned about that, too. That he wouldn't get up there and apologize. I mean, NO one, I'm sure, thought this would lead to Tyler's death, but it was a totally unprovoked act of cruelty, with pre-planning.

Prayers for Tyler's family.

This is a travesty of justice. As the Mother of a teenage Son who is gay it makes me literally physically ill. I just want to cry.

IMHO this wasn't a bias crime this was a hate crime. JMHO.

Well, a message has been delivered. He received jail time, and that will be it. Neither the Clementi's nor MB wanted a long sentence, just enough to send a message.

Sad all around. This will follow DR for the rest of his life - whether he cares or not we may never know. He has ruined many lives with his criminal actions and is now a big boy off to the big boy jail.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/dharun_ravi_sentenced_to_jail.html

eta: It spoke volumes to me that DR would not even stand and speak for himself in his own defense. Nothing should have stopped him from addressing the court today as he was already found guilty. I think he is a coward.

Maybe it's because the Dateline (or 48 Hours) I watched was somewhat sympathic to Ravi, but I'm neither surprised nor upset by the sentencing.

The sad fact is that "privacy" has little meaning to young people today (thanks to social media and reality TV). In that context, many of Ravi's actions were thoughtless and stupid, but not necessarily malicious.

And the dead kid was not only securing dates on the internet, but bringing them to his dorm for all to see. Now I AM NOT BLAMING HIM FOR DOING SO, but it does cast doubt on whether Ravi's intrusion into his roommate's privacy was really the cause of the suicide.

And as others have pointed out, Ravi wasn't actually charged with causing a death.

As it is, it's 30 days in jail, 300 hours of community service (almost another 2 months) plus over $10 grand in fines. And he will always be an ex-con.

Maybe it isn't perfect justice, but it's not exactly getting off scot-free.

Maybe it's because the Dateline (or 48 Hours) I watched was somewhat sympathic to Ravi, but I'm neither surprised nor upset by the sentencing.

The sad fact is that "privacy" has little meaning to young people today (thanks to social media and reality TV). In that context, many of Ravi's actions were thoughtless and stupid, but not necessarily malicious.

And the dead kid was not only securing dates on the internet, but bringing them to his dorm for all to see. Now I AM NOT BLAMING HIM FOR DOING SO, but it does cast doubt on whether Ravi's intrusion into his roommate's privacy was really the cause of the suicide.

And as others have pointed out, Ravi wasn't actually charged with causing a death.

As it is, it's 30 days in jail, 300 hours of community service (almost another 2 months) plus over $10 grand in fines. And he will always be an ex-con.

Nova, thanks for writing the post that I came over here to write but would have botched horribly. I completely agree with you. I watched that Datelineor48Hours show, too, and it altered my thinking about this case. I didn't find Ravi's personality very likeable, but I felt some understanding of his ignorance and immaturity at the time of his filming Tyler.

I hope others will follow that judge around with a cell phone and capture him picking his nose and other things. Same with the Ravi....and put it on the net.

I don't understand why the judge recommended he not be deported. There are plenty of decent folks who would love a chance to live in America. Why keep people like this in?

Sorry for my absence at the end. I was very disappointed with the sentencing. I just shut down my computer and spent time with my ailing cat. That, I can have a positive effect with.

I am glad the prosecution is thinking about appealing this sentence. I don't want Ravi in prison and have said so before. But, after watching him on Dateline, I felt no better about him. He still didn't "get" it.

Of course, Ravi's defense lawyer is a real old-fashioned pit bull and wants the verdict overturned. That way, Ravi can have his cake and eat it too.

This case is far from over and I don't expect to see Ravi go to jail the 31st.

Personally, I would have been satisfied with one YEAR in jail followed by 5 years probation.

That's a pathetic sentence. Are they at least going to deport him when he's finished it?

Prolly not, he will have community service. Ravi should consider himself lucky, he hit the legal lottery. His record will follow him and he will have this glaring notation on his record, as he should.

Disgusting. He needs to go back to where he came from. And I suppose he will finish his college education here for free?

I think Ravi should be deported. Let him do his time and send his arse back where he came from.

How DARE his mother make the comments she did. How dare her. Clearly the type of mother who never disciplined her innocent he could do no wrong child. Her son is alive. Her sons actions caused another man to take his life. His mother is the one living in the true hell.

how and why this guy did this is beyond me.

Send Ravi the :censored: back to HIS country, because this one is NOT his. It should be a one strike law for non citizens and they go back. Too many strikes for this nincompoop. He's already proven what kind of detriment he is to society, send him back!

I think Ravi should be deported. Let him do his time and send his arse back where he came from.

How DARE his mother make the comments she did. How dare her. Clearly the type of mother who never disciplined her innocent he could do no wrong child. Her son is alive. Her sons actions caused another man to take his life. His mother is the one living in the true hell.

how and why this guy did this is beyond me.

Send Ravi the :censored: back to HIS country, because this one is NOT his. It should be a one strike law for non citizens and they go back. Too many strikes for this nincompoop. He's already proven what kind of detriment he is to society, send him back!

I completely agree. Now that he has got away with this what's next?
Remember, no remorse whatsoever.

Nova, I almost always see your point and respect your pov, even if I don't always agree with it. In this case, I do not understand why you see Ravi's behavior as non-malicious.

The fact is promiscuity in college, regardless of sexual orientation, is nothing new and has been a fact of life long before social networking and reality tv shows came into play. What Ravi did, he did for kicks. To get a laugh and to make fun of someone with an invitation to others to join him in that kick. An invasion of what someone does in bed and to deliberately broadcast it, in no way can be seen as non-malicious.

The utter lack of respect for his fellow human kind is something learned at home. It has zero to do with social media or reality tv shows.

I'm going to make a comment here, respectfully, but I think your judgement regarding Ravi's behavior being seen as non-malicious stems from your being conservative and believing in monogamy. A single committed relationship, and there is nothing wrong with that. As a never married single mother of a 9.5 yr old, I've been abstinant for 10 years or so and choose not to date until my son is at min in HS. If ever, as I am very content being single and would be quite happy without a partner.

That said, regardless of how many bed partners someone chooses, it is a malicious violation of privacy of the worst kind, imo, to record and broadcast anyone's sexual activity across the WWW without their permission. I see his behavior as no different than setting up a web can in a public bathroom, or anywhere else someone is unaware.

Ravi is a sick immoral human being. He won't learn from this, he'll finish his lame sentence and go back to repeating the same self serving infantile disrespectful behavior.

I hope immigration overrides the judges recommendation in this case. There are too many law abiding respectful immigrants making positive contributions to this country who are hoping to stay.

Nova, I almost always see your point and respect your pov, even if I don't always agree with it. In this case, I do not understand why you see Ravi's behavior as non-malicious.

The fact is promiscuity in college, regardless of sexual orientation, is nothing new and has been a fact of life long before social networking and reality tv shows came into play. What Ravi did, he did for kicks. To get a laugh and to make fun of someone with an invitation to others to join him in that kick. An invasion of what someone does in bed and to deliberately broadcast it, in no way can be seen as non-malicious.

The utter lack of respect for his fellow human kind is something learned at home. It has zero to do with social media or reality tv shows.

I'm going to make a comment here, respectfully, but I think your judgement regarding Ravi's behavior being seen as non-malicious stems from your being conservative and believing in monogamy. A single committed relationship, and there is nothing wrong with that. As a never married single mother of a 9.5 yr old, I've been abstinant for 10 years or so and choose not to date until my son is at min in HS. If ever, as I am very content being single and would be quite happy without a partner.

That said, regardless of how many bed partners someone chooses, it is a malicious violation of privacy of the worst kind, imo, to record and broadcast anyone's sexual activity across the WWW without their permission. I see his behavior as no different than setting up a web can in a public bathroom, or anywhere else someone is unaware.

Ravi is a sick immoral human being. He won't learn from this, he'll finish his lame sentence and go back to repeating the same self serving infantile disrespectful behavior.

I hope immigration overrides the judges recommendation in this case. There are too many law abiding respectful immigrants making positive contributions to this country who are hoping to stay.
BBM.:goodpost:

The Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office has appealed Dharun Ravi’s short jail sentence, which means the former Rutgers student’s won’t begin serving time at the end of this month — or anytime soon, a court official said today.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/dharun_ravi_sentence_middlesex.html

Thanks for the update. We will now just have to wait and see if Ravi gets some more of the justice that Tyler deserves. IMHO, Berman gave way to far below any minimum sentence in the guidelines. While the pre-sentencing report said he was good for a no-prison-time sentence, common sense says it takes more than a month in jail and 3 years probation.

Dharun Ravi apologizes for first time, will turn himself in Thursday

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/dharun_ravi_reports_to_jail.html

"I accept responsibility for and regret my thoughtless, insensitive, immature, stupid and childish choices that I made on September 19, 2010 and September 21, 2010," he said. "My behavior and actions, which at no time were motivated by hate, bigotry, prejudice or desire to hurt, humiliate or embarrass anyone, were nonetheless the wrong choices and decisions. I apologize to everyone affected by those choices."

Gee, how big of him, NOT!!! Too little, too late. 30 days in jail is nothing in my book for what he did. Nothing will bring back Tyler, or the bullying he felt because of Ravi's actions!:behindbar:behindbar:behindbar
I also disagree that his actions were not motivated by "hate, bigotry, or prejudice"- it was clear to me that he hated gays.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back