LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes indeedy, especially since that truck/trucks have been ruled out.

One truck has not been ruled out.

Or have we all fallen down the rabbit hole?

TWO TRUCKS HAVE NOT BEEN RULED OUT - ONE TRUCK HAS BEEN RULED OUT! ONE TRUCK AND ONE CAR. CAN EVERYONE HEAR ME (TAP-TAP - IS THIS THING ON)

You don't think she cut through the parking lot to Azalea? I just don't see why she'd want to go down Johnston St. If someone was following her, and she knew it, it would have been quicker to cut through the LCG parking lot to Azalea and hit University back to the Circle K parking lot than it would be to head down Brashear. And if she wasn't doing it because she was being followed, why detour at all? Especially towards Johnston, when that's just farther she'll have to double back?

IF she knew someone was following her. Then yes that would be more likely.
But let's not work on assumptions, or that she knew she was being followed, and only go by what we know (or have been told) for a second, which is this:

She was caught on camera heading down St. Landry, in front of the circle K.
A white Chevy Z71 was also caught on camera heading in the same direction at what appears to be the same time (due to the exact same background activity). She was not caught on the next camera at the law office (now belongs to Premier inc.). The only street between those two cameras is Brashear which cuts straight across to the bike path on Johnston St and is a fairly nice and quiet neighborhood with nice sidewalks as opposed to the ****ed up ones on St. Landry.

So two things happened here. Either something happened in the 20 second window between cameras (not likely), or she turned down Brashear (entirely plausible and reasonable).

The truck caught on camera was ALSO not seen passing the next camera. Meaning it would have also turned down Brashear. What happened next....????

Ok first post. I own a couple of Z71s, and no they aren't white, and they are in Hsv. Al. I can say with 110% certainty that the truck behind this young lady is a 2007 and up Chevy Sliverado Z71 4x4. Mine have identical wheels, if LE has tire tracks those wheel are 18inch alloys and come with Bridgestone Dueler tires. It is not a GMC, the Sierras have different wheels, also the grill and headlights are different. This is my first post and when I figure out how to post or link pics I will try and put them side by side.

*Waves to Everyone*

Yours looks like the closest match so far! Are your sideview mirrors black? The Z71 in the camera looks like black sideview mirrors to me.

THE POLICE SAID THEY WERE LOOKING FOR THREE VEHICLES:

1. A WHITE TRUCK
2. A WHITE TRUCK
3. AN OLDER CAR

3-2 = 1

/rant off.

IMO, the lighting back there on Azalea didn't look all that great, and I would think that if I were biking it, even if I knew the area, I'd avoid it at night.

As for towards Johnston, again, if you check out the videos that I did, I pointed out that at the end of the St Landry Street extension, behind the Blackham Coliseum, the road there, Coliseum Road, leads directly to a brand new, well lit bike path that requires about 20 feet or so of travel on Johnston Street to get there.

I know about the bike path--I'm from here...but if she went down Brashear, she would have gotten to Johnston in an area that's very shaded and not as well lit as the bike path, plus it's a main road that would be full of drivers leaving area bars--honestly, there is enough traffic on Johnston at that time of morning where I am 100% sure that someone would have seen her if she had traveled all the way from Brashear to the bike path. If she takes Coliseum Rd, she can get onto the bike path without having to get on Johnston St. at all.

Grew up in Louisiana...currently live in Houston. White is the color of choice for custruction and oil and gas peeps because like Artis said, it is hot here and because they show fewer scratches and such than darker cars. With that said...I have to trust that law enforcement and the FBI have better photo evaluating systems than my PC so I am just going to take their word that its a Z71. Now, there's your start...all Oil/Gas and construction companies that lease with Chevy.

Agreed! It would be a laborious task but they should start checking on who was not working and had access to the vehicles.

But let's not work on assumptions, or that she knew she was being followed, and only go by what we know (or have been told) for a second, which is this:

A white Chevy Z71 was also caught on camera heading in the same direction at what appears to be the same time (due to the exact same background activity). She was not caught on the next camera at the law office (now belongs to Premier inc.). The only street between those two cameras is Brashear which cuts straight across to the bike path on Johnston St and is a fairly nice and quiet neighborhood with nice sidewalks as opposed to the ****ed up ones on St. Landry.

So two things happened here. Either something happened in the 20 second window between cameras (not likely), or she turned down Brashear (entirely plausible and reasonable).

The truck caught on camera was ALSO not seen passing the next camera. Meaning it would have also turned down Brashear. What happened next....????

The truck ran her down swinging wide right on a left turn.

Now.... are there houses on Brashear or is that business? I need to take a look at Google Earth

Ok first post. I own a couple of Z71s, and no they aren't white, and they are in Hsv. Al. I can say with 110% certainty that the truck behind this young lady is a 2007 and up Chevy Sliverado Z71 4x4. Mine have identical wheels, if LE has tire tracks those wheel are 18inch alloys and come with Bridgestone Dueler tires. It is not a GMC, the Sierras have different wheels, also the grill and headlights are different. This is my first post and when I figure out how to post or link pics I will try and put them side by side.

*Waves to Everyone*
Welcome to WS, dejavoodoo64!

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Because the police WERE NOT CLEAR ON THIS POINT, you had to assume that's what they meant. Fair enough. However, we just got done with people *****ing about the chat reporters not being detailed enough and this is exactly how that stuff happens. I don't like assuming and I'm detail oriented so unclear statements are something I would clarify if I were, say, a reporter.

Yes, no argument there. Look at update V on the linked LPD releases here:

http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp?PR_Id=4677

Those are LPD releases, and I will go with their information. But if you look at this KATC article, they seem to contradict the police release.

http://www.katc.com/news/police-rule-out-two-vehicles-of-interest-in-mickey-shunick-case/

So I completely get where you are coming from. I wish the MMS would be a bit more careful with their reporting of the "facts".

One truck has not been ruled out.

Or have we all fallen down the rabbit hole?

TWO TRUCKS HAVE NOT BEEN RULED OUT - ONE TRUCK HAS BEEN RULED OUT! ONE TRUCK AND ONE CAR. CAN EVERYONE HEAR ME (TAP-TAP - IS THIS THING ON)

Nope haven't fallen down the rabbit hole yet, but I'm on my way. The only truck now in question is the Z 71 going the same way as Mickey.

Attachments

• pic2standalonetruck.jpg
    pic2standalonetruck.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 20
Or, possibly, white truck was navigating back roads to avoid a DUI checkpoint and it is unrelated all together--depending on where he was spotted next on camera. The thing is, if he came back down St. Landry, he would have been caught on camera. If he continued forward on St. Landry, he would have been caught on camera. If he had turned down Brashear and went innocently down Johnston St, he would have been caught on camera. If he headed back down University, he would have been caught on camera. So someone somewhere has to have this truck on camera.

Interesting. Didn't think of it like that. They have to have a pic of him leaving no matter which way he went. Maybe left on brashear back to university then right on university would result in no camera but I doubt it. Good post.

If there is no video of him leaving the area he has to live On brashear or in that little neighborhood.

Truck's a lot faster than a bike. If she veered left to cross St. Landry, entered Brashear, but hadn't fully gotten over to the right after crossing St. Landry, the truck could have swooped left - drunk - and plastered her.

Would there have been anyone to hear/see, in the first half-block of Brashear?

HELP our threads have been overtaken by white trucks!! :hills:

Yep - it's been talked to death. I feel like we are lost in a forest and have ended up back at the same spot over and over and over and over.........

THE POLICE SAID THEY WERE LOOKING FOR THREE VEHICLES:

1. A WHITE TRUCK
2. A WHITE TRUCK
3. AN OLDER CAR

3-2 = 1

/rant off.

--------
Okey, Dokey then. Let's relax and eat some lutefisk, or white hotdish. I deleted my post about the car that appears to following the VOI truck.

Is anyone else finding it beyond frustrating that the argument on the last umpteen pages has boiled down to a collective inability of people to reach agreement on whether it was three trucks or two, and which truck is which in which photo? This thread is starting to go in a circle - as each new person pops up, insisting that 3 photos = 3 trucks, and then others have to correct them and then it starts all over again.

If this isn't settled on this website, I'm going to get vertigo and lose my lunch.

starting? all these speculations and wild conjectures and quibbling over details is beyond frustrating. so difficult and tedious to follow, that it seems more for entertainment purposes than actual sleuthing.

Is anyone else finding it beyond frustrating that the argument on the last umpteen pages has boiled down to a collective inability of people to reach agreement on whether it was three trucks or two, and which truck is which in which photo? This thread is starting to go in a circle - as each new person pops up, insisting that 3 photos = 3 trucks, and then others have to correct them and then it starts all over again.

If this isn't settled on this website, I'm going to get vertigo and lose my lunch.

I've put in a request for a separate thread on the truck discussion.....exluding the Z71. Praying....

Only the people involved are going to know which white truck it is, or a family member or friend of co-worker.

I think on this one it's not to be a matter of searching out the truck; someone is going to have to step forward.

There are probably 1,000 of those trucks in and around Lafayette and Baton Rouge, if not more. They're one of the top work trucks in the area. And a lot of oilfield work does NOT include having a company name on the side, or even a mounted toolbox.

Chicken Fried is right. Most companies do not put company logos on their fleet trucks for liability reasons. Makes them a target for insurance fraud scams. That being said, most fleet trucks are also Fords, not Chevy or GMC. Also, due to expense, most companies will not purchase Z-71's for fleet vehicles. The usually go with a stripped down extended cab or something on the cheap.

That makes sense, totally. It was just brought up in past threads by other cyclists in the area that cutting through the parking lot to Azalea is a popular route, so I don't think it should be ruled out completely. If Brashear is out of her normal route (as mapped by those who knew her route when this first started) why did she turn there?
And most importantly, why didn't any of the homes on Brashear hear something?? Someone, somewhere has to have witnessed--either through hearing or sight, something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie