IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that rumor of drug use is accepted as gospel fact and any other ideas/rumors are squashed as "rumor/unsubstantiated/non-factual" ?? I think every scenario we discuss is RUMOR because the police have released very little info and all that we have is what her "friends" have said... IMO

I can't find it, but I thought in the early days of all this, there was a "friend" of JW's posting on his facebook account about having his back or somesuch in regards to the fight. Does anyone else remember anything like that?

Maybe I read that in the comments section of another story, but I thought it was here.

I didn't look at POI FB pages early on but an altercation between JW and CR at 5 North was reported as taking place later the next day (after disappearance).

JW and his father may have had words at 5 North several days later. I think fellow WSers can provide more detail.

Does anyone here know if JW has a brother? TIA

Someone posting as his brother was on PT forum a great deal early on. He was quite passionate and convincing IMO. He was not flippant. He wrote complete thoughts using complete sentences too. :great: This is in contrast to many others on that forum.

Why is it that rumor of drug use is accepted as gospel fact

1. It comes from people associated with more than one group of POIs
2. It has effectively been acknowledged by her friends
3. It has been acknowledged by LE
4. It has been published in news media
5. It has never been denied by anyone, including friends and family

re #2: Effectively acknowledged? Effective to whom? Effectively to those who chose to believe that is what was implied?
re #3: LE said (paraphrased) We have heard the rumors and are checking them out....
re: #4 News media have published what HT said and what MB said neither said "drug use" though maybe implied. Media published what police said (see re #3 above) I do not think #4 is a valid arguement at all.
re #5: If I were a family member I would not deny any rumor unless I absolutely knew it to be untrue, because a rumor may or may not help solve the case...

How many times in these kinds of cases have we seen rumors repeated by friends, aquaintances & even sometimes family members turn out to be just that rumors... I will not take any rumors as fact until they are proven as fact. That includes drug use. IMO if you take one rumor as fact you should consider any other rumor as fact as well and that is just not something I am willing to do.

Would you please provide sources for 1, 2, and 3?

- What do you mean by "associated with more than one group of POIs"?
- What do you mean by "effectively been acknowledged by her friends" - the closest I've seen to that is HT saying:
"We're all, to an extent, 'partyers,'" HT said, asked whether Spierer would often go out to bars. "But I wouldn't consider her the ultimate partyer. She went out, she had a good time, but it wasn't excessive." http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...riends-school-reflect-missing-college-student
- I have never seen LE say anything but that they have heard rumors of drug use and overdose

Thanks.

Edit: I was writing this post when Angelaonline posted - great minds, I suppose.

I've seen two different addresses where the fire occurred. Use Google maps, pretty sure the one is located right behind the forest.

What is the other address? There is no substantive news from Martinsville available w/o a subscription. Maybe it was a diff. fire. I noticed there was one right around June 3 on "Burn" Blvd. Ironic.

Someone posting as his brother was on PT forum a great deal early on. He was quite passionate and convincing IMO. He was not flippant. He wrote complete thoughts using complete sentences too. :great: This is in contrast to many others on that forum.

Interesting, because I heard a rumor that his brother has been posting here.

- What do you mean by "effectively been acknowledged by her friends" - the closest I've seen to that is HT saying:
"We're all, to an extent, 'partyers,'" HT said, asked whether Spierer would often go out to bars. "But I wouldn't consider her the ultimate partyer. She went out, she had a good time, but it wasn't excessive."

I could be wrong, but didn't BW or some other friend say something similar? In a tv interview, perhaps?

the closest I've seen to that is HT saying:
"We're all, to an extent, 'partyers,'" HT said, asked whether Spierer would often go out to bars. "But I wouldn't consider her the ultimate partyer. She went out, she had a good time, but it wasn't excessive." http://www.lohud.com/article/201106...riends-school-reflect-missing-college-student

IMO the above quote by HT (or anything similiar by another friend) would lead the reader to believe the opposite of drug use. "Went out, had a good time but wasn't excessive" since the question was about bars, it only leads me to believe LS went out, drank with her group, but wasn't excessive in that regard.

As always JMO.

IMO the above quote by HT (or anything similiar by another friend) would lead the reader to believe the opposite of drug use. "Went out, had a good time but wasn't excessive" since the question was about bars, it only leads me to believe LS went out, drank with her group, but wasn't excessive in that regard.

As always JMO.

<modsnip>? "Party" today doesn't mean what it used to. Even "not excessive" doesn't mean what it used to.

Last time I was in college was 2002, 9 years ago, I went back to school. I also have a daughter that is a recent college grad and a currently attending college age daughter. Both of whom I am very close to and talk to about most anything. I realize that Party means different things to kids today, but to my younger college age daughter they say party when they are going out drinking, clubbing or going to a friends house for a bonfire (basically a kegger). She nor any of her closest friends are drug users. I also have a lot of experince dealing with drug addiction, a drug addict in a couple of other close relationships of mine, so I do have a pretty good knowledge of drugs as a whole.

Interesting, because I heard a rumor that his brother has been posting here.

He posted a few times (posts were mod deleted) and hasn't been back (under the same name at least).

I was back in school a couple years ago with people who were a lot younger than I am. And before that I was a professor and knew the students I taught and those who worked in my lab very well. Some still call me up. I wasn't that much older than they were at the time, and some saw me as a big sister rather than an authority figure. And before that, I was a grad student. I have spent most of my adult life around students.

I have seen people use the word "party" to mean a lot of different things. "Partier" can be used to mean "someone who likes to drink a lot" or "someone who likes to drink and smoke pot" all the way to "someone who likes to do crystal meth". As far as I know, and this was true when I was in college, there are very few in college who would not consider themselves to some extent "partiers".

"Party" today doesn't mean what it used to. Even "not excessive" doesn't mean what it used to.

This wasn't addressed to me, but I do want to assert that the meaning of partying is completely context based. It's not even close to a every time it's used by a college kid it means X and every time it's used by someone well out of college it means Y.

Personally, I deplore these linguistic back-and-forths. Hook-up means different things in different situations, same with party. Same with many many more words.

Personally, I deplore these linguistic back-and-forths. Hook-up means different things in different situations, same with party. Same with many many more words.

I agree. To me, however, it's clear from context what "party" means here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313