LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO but I think BSL might get a change of venue if only to prevent it coming up on appeal later.

A conviction in a death penalty case has automatic appeals. Serial killer DTL appealed his conviction & death sentence. Denial of a Change of Venue was included in the appeal. Yet the appeal was denied.

DTL's trial ocurred prior to the internet info & communication explosion that we experience today. As did Brandon Scott Lavergne, the internet has no borders, nor boundaries..

I wonder if someone looked into his truck at WB, if he was there the morning of the 19th, and no one was inside...that might lead LE to believe that she was killed on that day and not left at WB, since she was not found there. Just a thought.

A conviction in a death penalty case has automatic appeals. Serial killer DTL appealed his conviction & death sentence. Denial of a Change of Venue was included in the appeal. Yet the appeal was denied.

DTL's trial ocurred prior to the internet info & communication explosion that we experience today. As did Brandon Scott Lavergne, the internet has no borders, nor boundaries..

It can be denied or it can have merit. Depends on the judge and the case.

Things differ somewhat from state to state, of course, and I am going on how things work in Georgia, but if Louisiana is similar: Neither the defendant nor the defense team is usually at the GJ session, and there is, I believe, no judge present. At a recent high-profile murder GJ session here, I believe the only persons who were in the room during the session were the grand jurors, the district attorney, and one witness, who was the lead investigator in the murder investigation.

There are a few situations, if I understand correctly, in which the defendant and/or defense team might be present, but they are not common, as I understand.

As to the defense being privy to new evidence as it develops: At this point, they are probably not privy to much at all. Discovery does not happen, I think, until after arraignment -- at least here in Georgia -- which happens some time after indictment. There may be some informal providing of certain information to the defense earlier -- to encourage a plea, for example -- but the bulk of the evidence would not be provided the defense at this point.

I'm no lawyer, so if someone is one and needs to correct any inaccuracies in my statements, please do jump in!

My husband is an attorney here in New Orleans and does some pro bono criminal defense when he is appointed by the court. I read him your post and he said that the same is true here in Louisiana. Sorry if this has been answered, catching up.

Is it an absolute fact that the white truck was registered to BSL? Seems to me if he was a Head Mechanic that he would also drive a company truck. Isn't it also possible for LE to blur logo from door panel? If DWT was a company truck, it is also possible that it had extra vehicle tracking devices added to it.

Also, is there any information if BSL's driver's license, when arrested, was a recent duplicate? IMO, it could disprove mugging story and also set him up for filing a false report, or at least misleading an officer in an official investigation.

All this is just my opinion.:waitasec:

So, here we go.
I, so far, believe Brandon Lavergne kidnapped Mickey Shunick.
And I am aware he is a sexual deviant.
Adn I am aware that the same day that Mickey Shunick was reported missing Brandon Lavergne repoted to a hospital with possiblylife threatening injuries? (not sure)

Is it an absolute fact that the white truck was registered to BSL? Seems to me if he was a Head Mechanic that he would also drive a company truck. Isn't it also possible for LE to blur logo from door panel? If DWT was a company truck, it is also possible that it had extra vehicle tracking devices added to it.

Also, is there any information if BSL's driver's license, when arrested, was a recent duplicate? IMO, it could disprove mugging story and also set him up for filing a false report, or at least misleading an officer in an official investigation.

Welcome to WS!

Law enforcement said the truck belongs to BSL. I'm thinking it's because the registration is in his name.
No news about the driver's license other than he tol law enforcement at Ocshners it was stolen with his wallet.

I don't know why a change of venue is such a big deal...they should grant it, if it could come back to haunt them. They only get one chance and it should not matter who the jurors are if they have a good enough case. No one should be convicted because the emotions are running high about a particular victim.

The original arguement by prosecutors in the drawback of changes of venue were that it was inconvenient and very costly for the Justice System. However, as in the Casey Anthony trial, the jurors can be brought in from other jurisdictions/parishes if a change of venue is granted.
Everything else stays the same...

'Much ado about nuthin, imo'..

:wagon:

Welcome to Websleuths, hsmom2!!

I'm not sure failure to get a change of venue can be appealed. I think appellate issues arise during the trial, not before.

Any legal scholars out there who can address this?

Yes you can file a writ, and appeal the case on grounds that there was no change of venue.

Look guys!
I am a victim myself! ( not his)
Her body (sorry) is in a "comfortable" spot to him.
Trust me

I remember before BSL's arrest, many locals were posting that the media was not doing a good job of covering the case. I never got the feeling that this case was getting wall-to-wall massive coverage by the Lafayette media. That might have changed since the arrest, but from what I've heard of the local media's reputation there, once the information stops coming in, there will probably be a drought of press until we get closer to the trial.

The defense attorneys just have to prove that the media in the Lafayette area was too intense and too incriminating. It doesn't matter what publicity is like on a state or national level. It doesn't matter what people from across the country on the Internet are saying.

Here's an interesting tidbit:

Motions to move a trial from one county to another in California are routinely made but rarely granted. Only one or two trials a year are transferred, according to the state Administrative Office of the Courts.

Look guys!
I am a victim myself! ( not his)
Her body (sorry) is in a "comfortable" spot to him.
Trust me

Ok. Not quite what I said. But ok.

Does anyone know which address he lived at when it was just him, his brother and his daddy Dale? Was this the N Brasseaux address?

Sorry if this has been established already.According to this article BL got to the hospital "on the afternoon of May 19"

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/.../Record-shows-trouble-followed-murder-suspect

quote from article.
However, an incident report from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office shows Lavergne sought treatment at Ochsner Hospital in New Orleans for non-life-threatening stab wounds to "the chest, back, neck and hand," on the afternoon of May 19

Stacey Ian Humphreys trial was not as high profile, but, he did get enough publicity to win a change of venue.

Finding:
http://www.gasupreme.us/sc-op/pdf/s09p1428.pdf

News article:
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/guilty-humphreys-facing-death-sentence/nFDMB/

redtoedfrog, I lived in Cobb County, GA when the Ian Humphrey murders were committed. Although a high profile case, there were many others that were much more high profile without venue changes. Atlanta Judge Fred Tokars
www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20105972,00.html
Aug 2, 1993 – His spouse Sara Tokars Was Shot to Death in Front of Her Two Sons by a couple thugs hired by the dishonorable Judge..

Ian Humphrey's trial was relocated to Brunswick, GA; one of the most desired tourist spots in GA, 300 miles away.. Cobb is an very affluent county & Judge Robinson prolly just needed a little R & R, imo...

www.goldenisles.com/
The Official site of the Golden Isles Visitors Bureau. Information on St. Simons Island, Sea Island, Jekyll Island, Little St. SImons and Brunswick, GA..

I can't shake that feeling either. I feel like he knew her habits...
Brettly having his bike stolen and recovered is bothering me too!
Wish I knew more about that scenario...

And wasn't his bike found is a cemetery? Somewhere bsl has supposedly previously been linked to

IMO, Brettley's bike being stolen was just a bike being stolen.
I can't think of any reason why a predator would steal some guy's bike and then abandon it, in some kind of effort to set up a kidnapping. LE thinks he was trolling for a victim, so they may have discovered footage of him doing just that. Mickey was the unfortunate victim to cross his path.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member