CA - Hasanni Campbell, 5, Oakland, 10 Aug 2009 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time foster parents spoke with media? Any idea?

WhyaDuck I jst read that you started a media/videos thread Too! :clap: :clap: I'll leave this article here for now, but I'll start working on getting all of the the media/video's posted in correct order etc. in it for everyone.

Thanks so much for starting a new thread we sure did need it! :wink: It was had already ate Tokyo & beyond.

Thanks Kat for starting a thread about MH's court hearing today! Did you read SS's chart for it today? She does say her fate is sealed with the DP soon! She deserves nothing less.

Vigil to be held for missing boy
Monday, August 17, 2009 | 9:08 AM
<snipped>
A candlelight vigil is set for Monday to mark exactly one week since a five-year-old East Bay boy vanished.

Over the weekend, about 100 volunteers searched through the high brush of Coyote Hills Regional Park in Fremont, and marshlands in Hayward for any sign of Hasanni Campbell.

Police say investigative leads led them to the search areas, but they would not be any more specific.

Hasanni went missing Monday afternoon after his foster parent, Louis Ross, says he left the boy standing in an Oakland parking lot for just a few minutes. Since then, the police and FBI have searched Ross's home that he shares with Hasanni's aunt. Police have also spent hours questioning the couple.

With the days ticking by, searchers know time is not on their side.

VIDEO: Vigil to be held for missing boy
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=6968921

Article:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6968900

:angel:

I googled the name I.O and came up with a man who states that the name I.O-H.C. is his son. The man is in LA, CA. I don't think it is connected to the HC we are looking for NMK. JMHO.

And I would have to say that you are right. I was throwing it out there for looking at, it's the only other place I have seen those two names used together.
I only really have time for surface sleuthing today. So anything that might need digging, I have to hand off.

Did any of you see these articles?

This one makes me wonder if this is what happened to our handsome little guy Hassani! :eek:

Children rescued from sweltering car; mom held
Monday, August 17, 2009
<snipped>
Two children were rescued and their mother was arrested after she left them in a car in Fremont where the temperature reached 107 degrees, police said today.

Liao Sian of Fremont was arrested after passers-by saw her 2-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son in her car in the parking lot of the Safeway store at Fremont and Washington boulevards at about 3:30 p.m. Friday, police said.

Both children were "sweating profusely," and the 2-year-old was weak from heat exhaustion, police Sgt. Chris Mazzone said.
:cry: :shakehead:

Officers forced their way inside the car and removed the children. The youngsters were treated at the scene and were released to a family member, Mazzone said.

One of the windows was "cracked a couple of inches," but the inside temperature of the car had reached 107 degrees, Mazzone said. :furious:

Officers found Sian inside the store and determined that she had left the children for more than half an hour, Mazzone said. She was arrested on suspicion of child neglect. :clap:

Parents should never leave their children unattended in a car, child-safety advocates said.

"People are not getting the message that it's incredibly unsafe to leave a child alone in the vehicle. Heat is just another reason not to do it," said Janette Fennell, founder and president of Kids and Cars, a nonprofit group that promotes public education to prevent children from being killed in or near cars.

Fennell said she was heartened that witnesses had gotten involved.

"That should be a very strong message - call 911 immediately," she said. "Don't wait for the parents."

Article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/17/BAEE199NQ3.DTL&tsp=1

This one below brings me tears too.

Stillborn baby found in Fremont freezer memorialized with a river rock
County Supervisor Gail Steele placed the rock in a waterfall under an oak at Lone Tree Cemetery in Fairview
Posted: 08/16/2009 04:24:36 PM PDT
Updated: 08/17/2009 08:52:20 AM PDT
<snipped>
Baby Jane did not have a chance at life, but her name lives on etched on a rock in a waterfall under an oak.

Baby Jane was stillborn. Her corpse was found in a freezer in Fremont during a warrant search Dec. 7, 2007.

The details are sketchy, but to Alameda County Superintendent Gail Steele and Lone Tree Cemetery general manager Thomas Gratny, what is important is that someone gives Baby Jane respect in death that had thus far been denied.

On Friday morning, Lone Tree Cemetery grounds foreman Roberto Bellaso placed a large stone engraved with the name "Baby Jane" in the cemetery's Bayview Waterfall that overlooks the San Francisco Bay.

Bobby Mattos of Brass & Mattos Monuments donated the engraved stone.

"This is just an ordinary river rock, but there is not another one like it," Mattos said. "Each individual stone is as individual as the person it memorializes."

According to the Alameda County Coroner's Office, the mother of Baby Jane was having complications during her pregnancy but did not go to the hospital because she was using drugs. She miscarried and did not know how to dispose of the fetus. Police found it in a freezer during a warrant search. The mother was arrested, and the coroner's office took possession of the corpse.

The coroner's office contacted Steele about the unclaimed fetus. Steele made arrangements to have the fetus cremated and contacted Gratny who volunteered the services of Lone Tree Cemetery. Lone Tree donated a burial plot for Baby Jane's ashes in the cemetery's Lullaby Garden, where pinwheels and flowers mark the heart-shaped headstones of infant graves.

"Nobody was willing to take care of the remains of the baby," Steele said.

"The thing that is so distressing is that now it's happening quite a bit. The issue is the incredibly bad condition of our population. Something is terribly, terribly wrong."

Steele said 10 children under the age of 18 have been lost to violence in Alameda County in 2009. Six were under the age of 5.

"She's always been interested in the remembrance and memorialization of these children," Gratny said. "There are people who care."

Lone Tree Cemetery Grounds Foreman Roberto Bellaso places a memorial stone in the cemetery's waterfall on Friday, August 14, 2009 in Hayward, Calif. to commemorate the death of a stillborn baby found during a drug bust on December 12, 2007. County superintendent Gail Steele and cemetery General Manager Tom Gratny organized the memorial.
20090817__erev0815babyjane~2_GALLERY.JPG

Engraver Bobby Mattos presents a memorial stone to commemorate the death of a stillborn baby to Lone Tree Cemetery General Manager Tom Gratny and County superintendent Gail Steele before the stone is placed in the cemetery's waterfall on Friday, August 14, 2009 in Hayward, Calif.
20090817__erev0815babyjane~1_GALLERY.JPG

Article:
http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_13138038

Did any of you see these articles?

This one makes me wonder if this is what happened to our handsome little guy Hassani! :eek:

Children rescued from sweltering car; mom held
Monday, August 17, 2009
<snipped>

Snipped for length.

I've been thinking of car heat death, as well, as two little babies died that way just the other day, I was reading - possibly while their dad was in getting a hit. So very sad.

This happens way too often.

Their case is here:

Dad brings two dead babies to Tampa area hospital (sketchy details at this time) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

We're getting a lot of good stuff on the info thread - feel free to take a thumb through, and to add things, too. Angel is certainly living up to her name by loading it up with her ever-useful posts.

Hassani Campbell, CA - MISSING - Links, photos and articles ONLY - No discussion - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Also, Hoppy locked the other thread - thanks!

Thread #1 can be found here, if you are new to the case, or want to find things from there to transfer:

CA-Oakland - 5 year old - Hassani Campbell - Missing Since 8/10/09. - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Brought this great post over from thread #1 by ForensicFan - the details and insights are amazing!

Here are my impressions so far, for whatever they're worth:

1. That driveway has always made me slightly nervous if I'm walking alone at night. It's easy to duck into and be shielded by that building. Vehicles (UPS, work trucks) do tend to pull part way into the driveway of the parking lot for a few minutes to half an hour or so at a time. Likewise, across the street (almost directly) is a basement parking structure accessible by a lower garage door that goes down from the street.

2. Barclay's, the bar/restaurant across the street, is a busy establishment. However, even the outdoor seating is below street level. IMO, the odds of sitting down there (which I've done) and seeing what's going on clearly across the street aren't great.

3. The parking lot is really small, as the blonde woman said in the news video. Through the archway is the apartment parking area, leading to a street that dead ends. However, if someone had a car waiting or idling near there, or around the corner on Auburn (which does not get much traffic during the day), it would be IMO an easy getaway. You would have to move VERY fast, and prepare, but once you make a turn or two, you're pretty much home-free. You have a much higher chance of being noticed if you go down College than if you go down to the other end of Harwood.

4. That all said, there is foot traffic on Harwood throughout the day, especially as people return home around that time. There is a church across the street from that corner, which usually has people out front, in addition to several coffee shops. The time it takes to round that corner is indeed very fast, especially if you were in a hurry and using a quick pace.

5. His reasons for using the parking lot make sense to me, considering what's been going on in Oakland lately. There is honestly nowhere to park along College Ave most of the time, for about five blocks in either direction. You have to park on the side streets, which have 2 hour parking. However, on Harwood during that time of day, you can sometimes have to travel to the roundabout or beyond to find a spot (even if you look at side streets, too). Lately, the City of Oakland has extended the parking enforcement hours and hugely increased parking ticket fines. My friends have parked in front of my house and exceeded 2 hours by minutes, and ended up with $80 tickets. Minor infractions can set you back as much as $300 lately, as Oakland tries to use parking enforcement to balance its very sad budget.

Despite all this, the only scenario that makes sense to me for an abduction is that someone either heavily planned this in advance, had the help of one or both parents, or lives really nearby (there is a house on the other side of the driveway). It would have to be such a quick initial grab. I do see it as possible to go unnoticed, and to exit quickly, but it requires so many "if"s and it's never happened here before.

The Neighborhood Watch Group mentioned that they saw the foster father obviously distraught, asking people if they'd seen Hassani and running up and down College Avenue when this happened. The canine dogs traveled both ends of Harwood that day, as well as the gas station on the corner, and parts of College Ave setting up a perimeter. Additionally, I've been personally questioned by LE and asked to fill out an extensive survey, even mentioning any deliveries I got that day or people who visited me, listing their names and phone numbers. They seem like they've been really thorough, and I only imagine they've been more thorough with those in the dwellings right beside the parking lot.

Also, for what it's worth, I can't think of a single reason you'd travel surface streets between Fremont and Rockridge. Even with the worst of traffic, you'd be faster on the freeway (due to lights, busy intersections, etc.)--possibly 90 min instead of 30-45. Additionally, this is an largely white neighborhood (at least until you go lower than College Ave or beyond Broadway). People are not bigoted here (quite the opposite), but you would tend to notice someone of color a little more easily.

I'd like to also add that the neighbors who are around during the day are quite vigilant. The Neighborhood Watch has people who see a solicitor, or someone snipping their flowers, and call the non-emergency number for the police. Lots of security systems, and lots of video cameras. I have a hard time thinking if anyone suspicious was lurking around they wouldn't be noticed or questioned by neighbors (I've seen it happen).

Hey wanted to let you all know that Melissa Huckaby is indicted for MURDRER!!!! :clap:

bold by me

Whose bf & whose Myspace is this? TIA!

I was hoping to find (good!) news on Hassani today :(

Don't worry, it's nothing. I just left it because it had been quoted and this way if someone else comes up with the same info, they can see it's been checked already.

Sometimes it's good to rule things out as well as in.
I am the resident zebra chaser. I tend to hear hoofbeats and think "Yay, unicorns."
Sometimes I come up with good stuff, though.

Did anyone else find this comment of LR's odd: it was the last thing he said in his "plea" to the kidnapper, something like "you've done enough"? He said just drop him off at a school or hospital, "you've done enough" ?

It's quiet in here today.....I keep wondering what do the police know--they must know a lot that they aren't telling the public. Actually I hope they do know more !

For reference, this is the driveway/alley where car was parked, and the route LR took to the front of the store.

This really makes no sense IMO. I was under the impression then that the front of the store was just around the edge of the driveway.

If this was their normal routine, why not call the store from the driveway and say "I'm here" without lugging an 18-month old (or strolling her) that distance not to mention leaving a 5 year old little boy alone and out of your sight ...

Thanks to AngelWhoCares and Columbo without whose links to photos, I'd still be in the dark on this.

Here's an aerial view of the Pick your part Auto Salvage LR visited
This place in huge and I can sure see how Hassani may have succumbed to the heat if left in the car for any period of time.
Pickyourpart.jpg

He was on Nancy Grace Thursday...

thanks! seems like an unusually long time to go without "spreading the word" about your missing child. If I remember correctly even Haleigh Cummings family on BOTH sides seemed to be interviewed daily by multiple news sources.

If it was me and even if I was being wrongfully suspected, NOTHING would stop me from getting the word out. Actually it would make it much more important to me that I get the word out on my child. I would be sceraming it from the roof tops and going on every show that would have me.

Here is a map showing the route from JC & LR's home to the Pick Your Part Auto Salvage then on to Shuz.
Routemap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member