Colbert to Succeed Letterman as Host of the ‘Late Show’ on CBS

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
BREAKING NEWS Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:14 PM EDT

Colbert to Succeed Letterman as Host of the ‘Late Show’ on CBS
Stephen Colbert, the comedian and host of Comedy Central’s “Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as host of “Late Show,” CBS’s flagship late-night franchise, when Mr. Letterman retires next year, the network announced on Thursday.
Mr. Colbert will sign on for a five-year term as the new “Late Show” host, according to the announcement from Leslie Moonves, president and chief operating officer of CBS, and Nina Tassler, chairwoman of CBS’s entertainment division.
“Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career,” Mr. Colbert said in a statement. “I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead.”
He added: “I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”

READ MORE »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/a...terman-on-late-show.html?emc=edit_na_20140410

I like it! :thumb:

Well, he is probably a good safe choice. If he catches on then fine. Should that not occur then he can function as a place keeper until his 5 year contract runs out and some new young sensation, who we haven't even heard of yet, can take over.

I wish it was Jay Leno, but I like Steven Colbert too.

Hmphhhh… why not give Craig Ferguson a chance? Sure, a lot of his show humor is low budget schtick that doesn't appeal to the 11:35 demographic, but give him a decent budget to upgrade aspects of his show (like getting a proper sidekick to play off of) , and add in his talent for charming the audience and fantastic interviewing skills: I think he could fare very well. BUT, I guess not…

…at least he gets a nice pay day for being passed over. $5 mil is what I heard...

I don't know much about Stephen Colbert… but I do like David Letterman, and if David thinks he is worthy of taking over his desk, then I will give him a chance. A wee little chance… :)

I think this is the perfect choice. Colbert will be great.

Hmphhhh… why not give Craig Ferguson a chance? Sure, a lot of his show humor is low budget schtick that doesn't appeal to the 11:35 demographic, but give him a decent budget to upgrade aspects of his show (like getting a proper sidekick to play off of) , and add in his talent for charming the audience and fantastic interviewing skills: I think he could fare very well. BUT, I guess not…

…at least he gets a nice pay day for being passed over. $5 mil is what I heard...

I don't know much about Stephen Colbert… but I do like David Letterman, and if David thinks he is worthy of taking over his desk, then I will give him a chance. A wee little chance… :)

I think they probably think Ferguson is too old. JMO

I wonder if Colbert will do the show in character or as himself?

I knew it was a character and I had tired of it. While I rarely miss the Daly Show, I was often turning off Colbert only because I was tired of the character, so I am happy to know he will be leaving that.

I like the character and will be sad when the Colbert Report ends. I don't care enough to start watching the Late Show, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back