Deceased/Not Found VA - Bethany Decker, 21, Ashburn, 29 Jan 2011 *Guilty*

Any thoughts or comments about Bethany's episode of Disappeared that aired on Investigation Discovery tonight?

This was not a case i had been following so all of my opinions and thoughts are based off the episode and a bit of googling for case info. A few things concern me here. Shes a married mother of soldier serving oversees. Working and going to school. Her mother and grandparents make her sound responsible yet she was having an affair, pregnant with another mans baby and had send her son to live with her mother. She wasn't reported missing for 21 days and family said it was not uncommon for her to be out of touch like that sometimes. So, is it normal she would go 3 weeks without visiting her child? I'm really, really not trying to be rude but that doesn't sound very responsible to me. I don't think that just walking away from her life sounds all that far fetched. :(

This was not a case i had been following so all of my opinions and thoughts are based off the episode and a bit of googling for case info. A few things concern me here. Shes a married mother of soldier serving oversees. Working and going to school. Her mother and grandparents make her sound responsible yet she was having an affair, pregnant with another mans baby and had send her son to live with her mother. She wasn't reported missing for 21 days and family said it was not uncommon for her to be out of touch like that sometimes. So, is it normal she would go 3 weeks without visiting her child? I'm really, really not trying to be rude but that doesn't sound very responsible to me. I don't think that just walking away from her life sounds all that far fetched. :(

You bring up a lot of good points. Those things you mentioned are what makes this case such a head-scratcher. After viewing some of the earlier newscasts and seeing how laid-back the family members appeared, I even thought perhaps Bethany left voluntarily and the family just filed a missing persons report to make the ex-boyfriend think she really had been abducted. There are definitely some pieces missing from this puzzle. Regardless, I hope Bethany and her new baby are somewhere safe and sound.

You bring up a lot of good points. Those things you mentioned are what makes this case such a head-scratcher. After viewing some of the earlier newscasts and seeing how laid-back the family members appeared, I even thought perhaps Bethany left voluntarily and the family just filed a missing persons report to make the ex-boyfriend think she really had been abducted. There are definitely some pieces missing from this puzzle. Regardless, I hope Bethany and her new baby are somewhere safe and sound.

I never thought this all made much sense, either. I also found the family members oddly disengaged in the early newscast interviews. The parents portray Bethany as a busy and ambitious young woman who left her child in their care because with work and school and her husband being deployed, she was overwhelmed. The husband portrays Bethany as alienated both from him and her child which could explain why the family wasn't more worried that she was not calling or visiting the child. The husband certainly had motive, but he comes across as sincere in his interviews. The boyfriend is portrayed as controlling and threatening by both her friend and her family. Apparently. her family knew she was in a troubled relationship. If Bethany had wanted to get away from the boyfriend why wouldn't she have turned to her parents or grandparents instead of running away? If Bethany ran away, how did she leave and how is she supporting herself? Her car was at the apartments and there's been no bank activity. If she was working, her SS# would show up unless she somehow managed to assume a new identity. This case is baffling as they come.

Bumping... Her disappeared episode airing now...

Bethany got married so young -- clearly she wasn't ready to be a wife or a mother. This unfortunately is not an uncommon occurrence amongst young people. So Bethany's mother lovingly agreed to take Bethany's first child to raise. Next, Bethany appears to get bored with her seemingly nice husband, and decides to go after a bad boy type. Only she didn't just get involved with a sort of bad boy -- he's possibly involved in nefarious activities. Bethany starts to realize the error of her ways, but it's too late -- the new boyfriend isn't going to let her go until he decides to. Bethany strikes me as a strong willed young lady, and while not very smart in terms of how she conducts her life, smart enough to figure out how to solve a problem. I'm thinking someone is helping her out by helping her to hide. I think she was very afraid the bf might do somehing to her, and she may have decided to go underground until she feels safe to resurface. I've always had the feeling Bethany figured out a way to keep hidden from the bf. She seems like a very resourceful young lady. Perhaps in playing with fire, she realized she better get out of dodge before she got burned.

Hello! Not new to Websleuths, but new to this thread. I saw her episode of "Disappeared" a few weeks ago, and was just at a loss for words.. It's one of the most bizarre stories I've ever heard. Her husband seemed sincere and genuinely concerned about her well-being, and the interviews with the family broke my heart. I feel like even though the boyfriend passed the polygraph, I get this gut feeling that he had a part in this somehow. I was somewhat alarmed at the timeline, though. She was still young, already had one child and was pregnant with her next. I know her family/friends mentioned that they had called and text her on multiple occasions, just to check up on her, and they could just never get her on the phone. This went on for what, two weeks or longer? I'm the same age as she was when she vanished, I could never go that long without talking to SOMEONE, especially if I was five months pregnant. The situation is horrible, and then you add in the fact that she was pregnant.. it's just awful. I hope they find her so her family can get some answers!

Bethany Decker Still Missing After Two Years

It's been two years since Bethany Ann Decker disappeared, leaving a young child and a heartbroken mother desperate for her return.

[snip]

Details About the Case:

• Decker has a 3-year-old son. She was expected to her deliver her second child in August 2011.
  • She was last seen Jan. 29, 2011.
  • Decker’s family reported her missing on Feb. 19, 2011.
  • She worked at Carrabba’s Italian Grill in Centreville
  • She lived in an apartment on Orchard Grass Terrace, where her car was found.
  • It is known that Decker did not leave the country.
  • There has been no activity on her bank accounts, cell phones or e-mail.
  • She was registered as a student at George Mason University, but has not attended any classes since this incident was reported.
  • Decker had about three classes left after GMU's Spring 2011 semester to graduate. She graduated from Stafford High School with over a 4.0 GPA. Nelson said her daughter was looking forward to completing her degree in Global and Environmental Change.
http://oakton.patch.com/articles/bethany-decker-still-missing-after-two-years

I didnt read the entire thread, but Ill ask my catch-up questions.

Were there any babies placed for adoption around the time of her due date that would be tested for dna by members of her family?

I honestly don't think shes alive. Sounds like she made a mistake that got her killed.

Hmmm..... I've followed this case all along, and I didn't remember that the husband was still state-side when she was last seen.

Still searching

Started in 1994, The Community United Effort focuses on finding missing persons, advocating their causes and supporting their families. Since its inception, the nonprofit has helped more 9,000 families nationwide.

[snip]

Bethany Decker disappeared in February 2011. She was 21 years old at the time and five months pregnant with her second child. Bethany was attending George Mason University full time and working at a local Italian restaurant while her husband was stationed in Afghanistan. Her young son was being cared for by her parents while she was in school. At the time of Bethany’s disappearance, she also had a local boyfriend who may have been the last person to see Bethany. Upon not being able to reach Bethany by phone, her grandparents went to her apartment to check on her. Bethany’s car was there but no sign of Bethany. There has been no trace of Bethany or her unborn child and no arrests have been made in her disappearance. Her case has gone cold.

More: http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2013-10-23/Family/Still_searching.html

I so wish Bethany would be found. Is CUE actively working on her case, do you know? I read the article but it didn't say anything about them doing any searches or having done any recently.

Call to action: Friends, family of Central Virginia victims come together after Jamisha Gilbert’s death
Courteney Stuart
12/11/13 at 12:40 PM

Snipped and BBM:

Preceding a moment of silence, Shavers read off the names of nine victims, all of whom have disappeared in the past four years along a path that roughly follows Route 29 from Northern Virginia south to the Roanoke area: Morgan Harrington, Alexis Murphy, Cassandra Morton, Samantha Clarke, Jamisha Gilbert, Dashad “Sage” Smith, Heather Hodges, Bethany Decker and Cara Marie Holley.

http://www.c-ville.com/call-to-acti...nd-missing-people-gather-after-another-death/

Cannot believe it's been 3 years tomorrow and she's still missing -- all accounts inactive. Wow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back