OR OR - Jeremy Bright, 14, Myrtle Point, 14 Aug 1986

Paying tribute to Jeremy today. I hope one day justice will be yours.

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/investigators-still-search-for-answers-almost-years-after-jeremy-bright/article_92647bc2-e8e3-11e3-abb3-0019bb2963f4.html

Before the Coos County Major Crimes Team came along, these kinds of cases were just handled differently in its jurisdictions. It was days before the Sheriff’s Office investigators were even called in to assist in the search.

Coos County Sheriff Craig Zanni and Detective Staff Sgt. Dan Looney, discussing the case that still generates new leads to this day, say the Bright investigation actually played a major role in the creation of the aforementioned multiple agency investigative unit...

“I honestly believe there are people who know what happened, know where he is and who was involved,” S’te Elmore says. “I hope someday they will come forward and not let the fear of those involved keep them from (doing what’s right).”

I wonder if the comment at the bottom of the article posted above has any truth to it.

Were they able to do dna testing when the bloody sleeping bag was found. If not you would think they would have done it by now. And you would think if the abandoned house is still standing they would process it. Unless it was all rumors. I will have to go back and look to see where that information came from. I just want this family to get justice. And for them to know what happened to Jeremy, cases of missing kids just makes me sick. Know matter how long it takes and its been to long, along time ago, there needs to be answers somewhere. Just how to find them? For all the missing :scared:

Johnny unfortunetly passed away in Jan 2011. He was homeless and found under a bridge in California. What ever information he had went with him.

Terry Steinhoff's father was also questioned on his deathbed by one of the detectives on Jeremy's case. Old man Steinhoff (I think his name is Stan) told the detective that he would not rat out his son and would take the knowledge of Jeremy's disappearance to the grave.

The two other friends I haven't heard much about since that time. The only reason that I can think that they wouldn't come forward is due to the stigma of being victimized in the way that they were. If they really were there I pray that they have the strength and courage to come forward even after all this time.

So the fact that the dad said what he said about rating out his son, and he would take his knowledge of Jeremy disappearance to his death, does that sound like he did have the knowledge other wise you would think he would have just said he did not know anything about it. I hope I said that correctly.

Unsolved Mysteries re-aired the case Today. Still unsolved.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Bumping, it's now been over thirty years since Jeremy disappeared.

https://www.facebook.com/wheelsofhopeforthemissing/photos/a.1578889298996839.1073741828.1578610502358052/1781627758722991/?type=3&theater

180px-Jeremy_Bright_missing_flyer.jpg

*BUMP*

Our stepdad Oly was a logger. He would leave at 4am to take the crummy to work and was back after dark each night. My Mom had allowed us to go stay with him during the week of fair. I think Oly was cleared pretty early on. When he saw Jeremy that last time my Grandma was there as well as my Uncle (both from my Mom's side of that family) so if anything out of the ordinary had happened they would have spoken up.

The story that I have heard from numerous people that seems most plausible to me"
I have been told there were 4 guys involved, Terry Steinhoff, David Steinhoff, Hoyt Richardson and one other guy. The 4 guys took Jeremy and 3 of his friends (it may have only been Jeremy and Johnny but I've heard 2 other names) to the woods and victimized them. Jeremy threatened to tell Oly what had happened, they guys panicked because Oly was a logger who knew the back country well and they were afraid of what Oly would do if it was found out and they shot him.

Later that night Johnny appeared at his sisters house freaked out (the sister thought that Johnny had gotten bad drugs) and kept saying that they had to stay out of the windows or something would happen to them. That same night Johnny's other sister Cecilia ran into David Steinhoff covered in blood. He said he got into a fight with his girlfriend. Cecelia went to the police and was told that David had been in a fight, that's where the blood came from and that's where the scratches on him came from but Cecelia says that there was way to much blood for it have come from the scratches.

After that night Johnny was never the same. His parents took him to therapists to try to figure out what had happened with no success. They stated that whatever Johnny knew had been so traumatic and buried so deep that he may never be able to recall what happened. One time when Johnny was passing through town (this was many years later after Johnny had become a drug addict, alcoholic transient) a relative picked him up and was giving him a ride to Roseburg. As they came around a corner Johnny made a comment "If they want to find Jeremy they should look up there" and then clammed up again. Was he talking to himself and didn't realize what he had said?

When I asked a relative about that area I was told that after Jeremy disappeared they had gone to that area after hearing stuff around town. There was an old abandoned house there and they picked up a bloody sleeping bag that was turned over to the police. Did it have something to do with Jeremy's disappearance?

That same night that Jeremy disappeared the 4th guy (I can't think of his name at the moment and my notes are packed) came home. His girlfriend at the time (now his wife) thought it was strange that the guy came in through the back door, put his clothes in the washing machine and headed to the shower. The girlfriend went and looked in the washer and the clothes had blood on them. This same person also had a gun that he asked someone else to hide. That person called the police and turned the gun in. The police currently have that weapon in their possession. Is it the weapon that killed Jeremy?

The above scenario described by Ste1977 is very interesting and actually more in line with the suspitions I came up with too, after having dug around in the case a bit, and I started having doubts about the official theories as to what happened being some type of accident (It could of course still have been an accident, I am just saying that I soon felt doubts about it)

I have been wondering something in this connection; Do you, if you would ever read my post, believe that Steinhoff might have been responsible also for the other boy who also disappeared in Oregon the month before Bright?

I am thinking of the fact that they were both around the same age, and also had very similar features as to their apparences

It would however in such a case mean that Bright was not Steinhoff's first victim, but the mentioned boy, who's name was Duane Fochtman, was 15, and, as said, went missing from Lincoln city the month before Bright at 7/22/1986.

Duane looked like this:
attachment.php

Then, the 14th the month after, Bright, 14, disappeared in Coos County; and we know his apparance, but I am posting it anyway so that people can see the Similarities for themselves:
attachment.php

There was actually also another guy by the name Kerby Allen Bessey who likewise disappeared the same summer and only two weeks after Bright, and just as Bright, likewise in Coos County. But as I do not know how old Steinhoff was supposed to have been at the time for Bright's disappearance (Was he a teen or an adult?), I neither know if Bessey was too old to have been a victim of Steinhoff, as he, contrary to Bright and Fuchtman, was 27.
But, as one never knows, I nevertheless post a picture of him anyways:
attachment.php

I found it curious that they have such similar fetures and all three disappeared in Oregon the very same summer.
As I said above, I have been sceptical of the accident scenario, and for several reasons, and have believed the more in the scenario you posted above. Therefore I also feel that the law enforcement need to take another look at the case from a new angle.
They also need to hurry up while potential persons in the know are still alive. The clock is ticking.

Attachments

• DFochtman.jpg
    DFochtman.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 249
  • JBright3.jpg
    JBright3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 233
  • KBessey.jpg
    KBessey.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 236
'You’re grieving - and it doesn't ever stop': Jeremy Bright missing in Oregon since 1986

Diane's son Jeremy Bright went missing from the 1986 Coos County Fair in Myrtle Point when he was 14 years old.

He’s never been found.

“It’s tough, you know, because you’re grieving," Jeremy's sister S'te Emore says, "and it doesn’t ever stop."

Sheriff Craig Zanni took over the case in the mid-1990s when he was the Detective Sergeant.

Ever since, he’s tried to piece together Jeremy’s movements that day.

“The last they know of him, he met with his dad or his uncle and got some money at one of the taverns in Myrtle Point, and he was headed to the fair," Zanni says.

Sheriff Zanni says one person of interest has been named in the case, Terry Lee Steinhoff.

“We tried multiple times to talk to him," Zanni says. "He was never forthcoming."

'We're just trying to bring closure to a family that's suffered for the last 30 years'

Zanni also said investigators searched the property where Steinhoff lived, and numerous other sites across the region.

“Lots of times I think we're on the right path," Zanni said. "The problem is I don't have enough information to do anything with."

Jeremy’s sister S’te Elmore believes there are still people in Myrtle Point who could shed light on what happened to her brother.

“Everybody knew each other, everybody knew what was going on with everybody else, and I just can't believe that Jeremy just you know vanished and nobody knows anything,” she said.

After 30 years, Zanni said what investigators hope to accomplish has changed.

“We're not concerned about identifying who it is and prosecuting them," he said. "We're just trying to bring closure to a family that's suffered for the last 30 years on a daily basis of not knowing what happened to their brother, their son."

Jeremy is still missing, and people are still searching [emoji171]

It would however in such a case mean that Bright was not Steinhoff's first victim, but the mentioned boy, who's name was Duane Fochtman, was 15, and, as said, went missing from Lincoln city the month before Bright at 7/22/1986.

Duane looked like this:
attachment.php

Seems like they're fairly certain Duane was a runaway. I wonder if there have been any updates to his case. Maybe something I will look into this weekend.

I just read through this entire thread and it's so incredibly heartbreaking. There are people who know what really happened and I hope and pray that they will come forward before it's too late. No parent should go to their grave not knowing what happened to their child. With the Wetterling case being solved after 27 years I hope it gives families and investigators new hope that their own cases can also be solved if the right pieces fall into place. I very much hope that this will be one of them.

Following leads on the cold case of Jeremy Bright
COOS COUNTY – It’s been 32 years since Jeremy Bright went missing and the Coos County Sheriff’s Office is still pursuing leads.

In fact, one recent tip led deputies and Sheriff Craig Zanni to a Myrtle Point property to search one of the wells. Though it didn’t give them anything new, the CCSO still encourages the public to call in tips.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back