Not open for further replies.

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Please continue here.

Steven-Koecher.jpg

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705356478/Powell-isnt-only-missing-Utahn.html

Previous Threads:

Thread #1 Thread #2

Thread #3 Thread #4

Thread #5 Thread #6

Thread #7 Thread #8

Thread #9 Thread #10

Thread #11 Thread #12

Thread #13 Thread #14

Thread #15 Thread #16

Thread #17 Thread #18

Thread #19

RTC said:
Im starting to think we need to throw logic out the window. Sounds like S is the kind of guy that would just show up or drive around looking for an opportunity. No plan, no goal, nada. Just putting himself in alot of places hoping something would happen that he could be happy with. what if his plan is "Im going down to Vegas to see if I can find anything". Drives all around stops somewhere to eat, meets some folks and arranges the SCA pickup. It is so hard to believe but after reading everything it seems likely.

Yes, it looks like a very peculiar way of doing things... and his words regarding his last job (that his coworkers were too worldly) always gave me an impression of someone struggling with the modern world and looking towards simpler times.

My personal theory after following the thread in the last year is that Steven is now in a commune, ashram or some other small community away from technology and the modern world... possibly in South America but more probably somewhere in the SouthWest, Texas or California.

Fairy1 deserves high praise today!

She's created a set of FAQs, to answer the "frequently asked questions" from new readers -- and they've been posted as part of the timeline set.

Direct link: FAQs

If you have anything to add, please step up.
This would help everyone.

I have been using maps to plot his activities looking for some sort of pattern.

2 things I have been looking for in MSM/blogs ect. but can't find anything specific, are the locations of the Ruby valley ranch, and his contact with the kids in St George. I dont need a address, but the nearest cross street or crossroads would be helpfull.

Ruby valley being a huge area it would help narrow down estimated mileages and expand on time frame. In St George his contact with the kids in relation to the library and another building in St. George. Like if he were to be walking between 2 locations when he found them.

She's created a set of FAQs, to answer the "frequently asked questions" from new readers -- and they've been posted as part of the timeline set.

Fairy1: Good going!!!!
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Thank you so much for posting the set of FAQs. I am new to this case and it is very helpful in understanding everything!!

Thanks to Fairy1 for creating it!!

Yes, it looks like a very peculiar way of doing things... and his words regarding his last job (that his coworkers were too worldly) always gave me an impression of someone struggling with the modern world and looking towards simpler times.

My personal theory after following the thread in the last year is that Steven is now in a commune, ashram or some other small community away from technology and the modern world... possibly in South America but more probably somewhere in the SouthWest, Texas or California.

Interesting theory. From my understanding, the owner of the real estate company located right where Steven was caught on tape has missionary experience in South America, like Steven. Perhaps she helped him in a transition like the one you describe above? I am not sure if this woman was ever talked to in depth by either police or family. Laytonian would probably know...

I tend to gravitate towards the belief that Steven, for whatever reason, decided to go underground for awhile. The lack of paper trail, no evidence of foul play, dumping of his car, etc., lead me to this conclusion. If someone from that neighborhood did hurt him, wouldn't they have moved the car somewhere else? However, the neighborhood could have simply been a random meeting place, after which he got into another car with someone else, who could have hurt him elsewhere. The fact that he was there exactly at noon points to some kind of planned meeting, no?

I also think things might have been more strained with his family than has previously been revealed. Quitting a job his father got him and moving to St. George, hanging up on family members, not calling people back, not accepting their help or money, not telling them his was in financial dire straits--he seemed at odds with his family/friends. And who knows how many more of these instances there were that have not been made public?

Sorry for the rambling.

How could we test the commune/missionary theory? His passport was eventually found amongst his belongings, so he probably did not make it abroad. I wonder how we could test the theory that he is in hiding in one of these domestic, off-the-grid camps?

Interesting theory. From my understanding, the owner of the real estate company located right where Steven was caught on tape has missionary experience in South America, like Steven. Perhaps she helped him in a transition like the one you describe above? I am not sure if this woman was ever talked to in depth by either police or family. Laytonian would probably know...

If someone were to have helped Steven transition into another life, I think they would have said as much by now. Steven wasn't a fugitive and it's not illegal to help someone move on unless they provided fraudulent documents or something. He had his own passport, so he wouldn't have needed a fake one. He could have left the country under his own name and disappeared just as easily as he has here.

I tend to gravitate towards the belief that Steven, for whatever reason, decided to go underground for awhile. The lack of paper trail, no evidence of foul play, dumping of his car, etc., lead me to this conclusion. If someone from that neighborhood did hurt him, wouldn't they have moved the car somewhere else? However, the neighborhood could have simply been a random meeting place, after which he got into another car with someone else, who could have hurt him elsewhere. The fact that he was there exactly at noon points to some kind of planned meeting, no?

I have been a fan of the underground theory as well. If not for all the driving around prior to him going missing, I would probably still believe it possible. But that driving and the secrecy surrounding it just doesn't make any sense to me with this scenario.

I do agree that if someone in the SCA neighborhood harmed him there, they would have moved his car. I too believe that noon was an appointed meeting time for that area, but I don't think he stayed there long. Laytonian has pointed out that, based on the time he passes in view of the surveillance cameras, he would have been late for a noon meeting. Considering that and the fact that he had offered to return to St. George when he spoke to GW earlier, I feel perhaps he wasn't enthusiastic about his reason for being here.

I also think things might have been more strained with his family than has previously been revealed. Quitting a job his father got him and moving to St. George, hanging up on family members, not calling people back, not accepting their help or money, not telling them his was in financial dire straits--he seemed at odds with his family/friends. And who knows how many more of these instances there were that have not been made public?

Agree.

Sorry for the rambling.

How could we test the commune/missionary theory? His passport was eventually found amongst his belongings, so he probably did not make it abroad. I wonder how we could test the theory that he is in hiding in one of these domestic, off-the-grid camps?

I don't consider it rambling! It's exactly how ideas and theories are formed. We obviously haven't hit on the right ones yet or we wouldn't still be here!

I don't think we can test the commune theory with no clues leading in one direction or another. Just another needle/haystack exercise!

I have been using maps to plot his activities looking for some sort of pattern.

2 things I have been looking for in MSM/blogs ect. but can't find anything specific, are the locations of the Ruby valley ranch, and his contact with the kids in St George. I dont need a address, but the nearest cross street or crossroads would be helpfull.

Ruby valley being a huge area it would help narrow down estimated mileages and expand on time frame. In St George his contact with the kids in relation to the library and another building in St. George. Like if he were to be walking between 2 locations when he found them.

Somehow, there's a misunderstanding.
The children who were locked out of the house, were not near a library nor any other St George building.
It was a medium-sized subdivision of newer stucco homes, exactly where you'd expect someone to be handing out window washing flyers.

Fairy,

I figured the realtor's South American missionary work was just a coincidence.

Aside from walking away, another theory I had was that someone duped Steven into something he never intended, and it got him hurt. When I was younger, I was a lot like Steven: inexperienced, sheltered, perhaps a little naive. Because of this, I was led down some pretty dark avenues, just trying to fit in. Thank God, nothing too bad happened...

What say you?

Fairy,

I figured the realtor's South American missionary work was just a coincidence.

Aside from walking away, another theory I had was that someone duped Steven into something he never intended, and it got him hurt. When I was younger, I was a lot like Steven: inexperienced, sheltered, perhaps a little naive. Because of this, I was led down some pretty dark avenues, just trying to fit in. Thank God, nothing too bad happened...

What say you?

I think it's quite possible.

By all accounts of those who knew Steven, he was something of an innocent. He was also in need of a job, which we have been told was foremost on his mind. He was three months behind in rent and his LL had contacted his parents. I feel that was likely very embarrassing to Steven, as a man of 30. We know that he had spoken to his Bishop about needing help finding employment. But with the holidays approaching, that wasn't going to happen until the new year, which would have left him even further behind. We can only speculate on how desperate he may have been feeling and what the result was.

<snipped for brevity>

I have the same impression. I also think Steven was more aware of the strain than the family was. I think there were things that deeply troubled him that his family dismissed as bad mood or worry about jobs or whatever. Like that comment about his co-workers being too worldly -- I've never been able to decide whether he meant that literally, or if he was being snide, or what, but it's the kind of thing that indicates he felt seriously out of synch with the world around him.

I think it's quite possible.

By all accounts of those who knew Steven, he was something of an innocent. He was also in need of a job, which we have been told was foremost on his mind. He was three months behind in rent and his LL had contacted his parents. I feel that was likely very embarrassing to Steven, as a man of 30. We know that he had spoken to his Bishop about needing help finding employment. But with the holidays approaching, that wasn't going to happen until the new year, which would have left him even further behind. We can only speculate on how desperate he may have been feeling and what the result was.

What I can't understand is why, when he spoke to his Bishop about needing help finding employment, he didn't ask for assistance to pay the rent or a food order. Bishop's have broad latitude in how much they can help members. Members are to try to help themselves first, ask their families second, and then request help from the Bishop, if needed. I guess what I'm trying to say is, help was available, he chose, for some reason, not to use it. Also the church has an employment assistance program. I'm just not sure that he was using everything that could have been accessed. Very puzzling.

What I can't understand is why, when he spoke to his Bishop about needing help finding employment, he didn't ask for assistance to pay the rent or a food order. Bishop's have broad latitude in how much they can help members. Members are to try to help themselves first, ask their families second, and then request help from the Bishop, if needed. I guess what I'm trying to say is, help was available, he chose, for some reason, not to use it. Also the church has an employment assistance program. I'm just not sure that he was using everything that could have been accessed. Very puzzling.

His family offered help as well. I have to assume he felt it was something he needed to do on his own and there was some pride on his part in doing so.

My kids aren't 30 yet - but I sure as HE!! don't want to have to pay their rent when they are!

His family offered help as well. I have to assume he felt it was something he needed to do on his own and there was some pride on his part in doing so.

My kids aren't 30 yet - but I sure as HE!! don't want to have to pay their rent when they are!

As someone who went through a rough patch in his early 20s, I can say the last thing I would have accepted was help from my parents.

There was so much shame involved in being unable to care for myself especially after how my parents did so well caring for me, paying for school and dealing with my rebellious nature as a teenager. Waiting in line with homeless and addicts for over an hour at the soup kitchen for some barely edible stew was less painful than getting money from the old folks.

My parents lived further away than Steven's so communication was intermittent but looking back, I think that any gesture to help from them may well have pushed me further away, make me want to hide away.

As someone who went through a rough patch in his early 20s, I can say the last thing I would have accepted was help from my parents.

There was so much shame involved in being unable to care for myself especially after how my parents did so well caring for me, paying for school and dealing with my rebellious nature as a teenager. Waiting in line with homeless and addicts for over an hour at the soup kitchen for some barely edible stew was less painful than getting money from the old folks.

My parents lived further away than Steven's so communication was intermittent but looking back, I think that any gesture to help from them may well have pushed me further away, make me want to hide away.

I can't help but think this is how Steven was feeling. He must have been humiliated having his landlord call his parents.

The question is, what did he do about it???

Fairy1 - Good job on the FAQ's! Thanks so much for doing that.

I'm still here every day - usually twice a day - to check for any updates. I'll be praying for an Easter miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh