TN - 3 Ooltewah High School Basketball Players Rape Teammate. Season Canceled.

PastTense

Reaction score
Tennessee high school has canceled its boys basketball team’s season after three players were charged with raping a teammate with a pool stick while at a December tournament.

The season was canceled Wednesday amid an outcry from the community and some school board members, the Associated Press reports.

The teens were charged with aggravated sexual assault by police in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, where the assaults allegedly. Their names have not been released because they are juveniles, police said.

The Victim Suffered a Ruptured Colon & Bladder...Sources told WRCB-TV the alleged assault was part of a Ooltewah High School ritual, where freshmen were “beaten in” to the team.
http://heavy.com/news/2016/01/oolte...mery-suspended-season-charges-names-timeline/

That's really awful. My first thought was that I was glad that school officials took this seriously and cancelled the season. Then I thought it might not be fair to those who didn't participate. But this "ritual" has apparently been going on for some time and everyone on the team had to have known about it. I'd be surprised if the coaches didn't know about it.

I'm struggling to find words... how absolutely awful. I think a lot of people who enjoy violence and hurting people love these initiation rituals. They get to carry out sadistic things to other people all under the guise of it being acceptable.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2016/jan/08/records-pool-cue-was-forced-ooltewah-victims-prostate-gland/343675/
This was a 15 year old boy. You just would never dream of this happening on a trip with his team. How do you heal emotionally from that. It sounds like those responsible were punishing him for his mother's complaint about bullying :( I really, really hope those responsible get very harsh sentences. Being young can never make such vicious sexual assault any less terrible and they should be held accountable.

That's really awful. My first thought was that I was glad that school officials took this seriously and cancelled the season. Then I thought it might not be fair to those who didn't participate. But this "ritual" has apparently been going on for some time and everyone on the team had to have known about it. I'd be surprised if the coaches didn't know about it.

How would it be possible to not take it seriously? Victim was injured during the attack and had to have surgery. So there was really no way to cover this up.

CAUTION: GRAPHIC

From the link above:

Court records for the two 16-year-olds charged with aggravated rape each state that the defendants "did assist in forcing and holding the victim down while another defendant took a pool cue stick and forced it into the rectum of the victim causing serious injuries to the victim that required surgery to repair his bladder, rectum, and prostate gland."

This isn't hazing. This isn't ritual, or tradition, or anything other that plain, old fashioned, deviant, violent, brutal rape. My heart goes out to this kid :( And the one who did it, and the two degenerates that helped, deserve the harshest sentence possible. :gaah:

CAUTION: GRAPHIC

From the link above:

This isn't hazing. This isn't ritual, or tradition, or anything other that plain, old fashioned, deviant, violent, brutal rape. My heart goes out to this kid :( And the one who did it, and the two degenerates that helped, deserve the harshest sentence possible. :gaah:

Totally agree. The alleged perps are being charged as juveniles. Considering they are close to 18, it could be very little punishment, because there is only so long juveniles can be kept in jail. I don't understand why they are being charged as juveniles, considering there are plenty of cases where much younger perps are being charged as adults, and this was a very brutal crime.

The boys basketball coach is being transferred into a non-teaching role outside of Ooltewah High School. The superintendent made the decision Monday.

"I don't want anyone to think he's being punished or penalized at this point. He's being transferred at this point. If we find other reasons to address the coach, we will," said Smith.

Smith also told the coach to stay off Ooltewah High School campus during the active investigation.
http://www.local8now.com/home/headl...ewah-High-School-rape-incident-364898341.html

"Three officials at a Tennessee high school were charged Thursday with failing to report the sexual abuse of four basketball players in a complaint that portrayed a far broader assault at a cabin where players were staying during a tournament than authorities had previously announced."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-charges-filed-in-high-school-basketball-rape/

I am glad the school officials are being held accountable. We had a situation where I live in which the school officials were aware of a rape (statutory) by a foreign exchange student (who was put on board a plane back home when they learned of the investigation) and not a darn thing was done about the failure of the officials to report it. We have to hold these adults accountable who we trust our children with!

Affidavit alleges that in addition to the severely injured boy, 3 other boys were also sexually assaulted.
The alleged perps shouldn't stay in juvenile court. We are talking about 4 victims, one severely injured.

Totally agree. The alleged perps are being charged as juveniles. Considering they are close to 18, it could be very little punishment, because there is only so long juveniles can be kept in jail. I don't understand why they are being charged as juveniles, considering there are plenty of cases where much younger perps are being charged as adults, and this was a very brutal crime.

These people need to have the books thrown at them.

I wonder if the perps will say the same thing happened to them when they were freshmen?

Did anyone notice the picture in Jjenny's reference? It looks like the coach and all the players behind him are black.

It reminded me of the Florida A&M hazing death of drum major Robert Champion in the marching band.

Similar thing happened in one of our local teams on an away trip. And this kid had been accused of injuring other students a few years back. I do not know where he is today, but the victim refused to press charges (his folks, probably). So sad and disgusting. But the perp never faced any real consequences.

I pray all of these boys recover, this should never happen. Is anyone watching Season 2 of "American Crime"? It is about a boy who is raped at a basketball championship. I hate these boys are going to be reminded of what they went through every time an ad is run or the show is airing.

An uncomfortable but necessary episode of American Crime

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/uncomfortable-necessary-episode-american-crime-230702

The details of the alleged assault on December 21 are heinous. A 15-year-old was reportedly sodomized by a wooden pool cue, which caused his colon and bladder to rupture. Coach Montgomery initially took him to a nearby hospital, but according to a family member, he was released without a proper exam. The following day, the boy collapsed and was taken by ambulance to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville, where he underwent emergency surgery and spent the remaining eight days in recovery. He currently has to wear a colostomy bag and catheter.
http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2016/01/15/3740015/ooltewah-basketball-rape-case-update/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back