Solar Eclipse Across America, August 21, 2017

On the road and we just saw a crazy looking car that said "Caravan to catch a killer" on the side. It belongs to a mom still searching for the killer of her 18yo daughter in 2004.
OK - Brittany Phillips, 19, Tulsa, 27 Sept 2004

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/forums/showthread.php?t=52284&share_type=t
b1b91afb10d7468ae05f4228d75433d0.png

I hope someone can answer a question for me. We have a shade 10 welding lens and I am wondering if it is cut in half and laid on top of each other, would that work as an acceptable filter?

I hope everyone who takes photos or video of the eclipse will share it here. :tyou:

I hope someone can answer a question for me. We have a shade 10 welding lens and I am wondering if it is cut in half and laid on top of each other, would that work as an acceptable filter?

BBM
Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun. Many people find the Sun too bright even in a Shade 12 filter, and some find the Sun too dim in a Shade 14 filter — but Shade 13 filters are uncommon and can be hard to find. The AAS Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers page (link is external) doesn't list any suppliers of welder's filters, only suppliers of special-purpose filters made for viewing the Sun.To find out more about eyewear and handheld viewers go to https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/eyewear-viewers (link is external).

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

oops! forgot that you suggested cutting them in half and putting one lens on top of other. I think that might work. Can you test that with a led flashlight per my post earlier today from Popular Science magazine?

For your listening enjoyment: Carly Simon sings about flying a Lear Jet to Nova Scotia to view the total eclipse of the sun in You're So Vain

[video=youtube;mQZmCJUSC6g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g[/video]

Interesting- the reason why it will damage ones retina is because as the moon starts crossing our eyes will dilate to let more light in resulting in the retina burn

when the totality hits the Oregon coasts it will be moving at 2,955 mph. The shadow moves at different speeds across the country because of the curvature of the Earth. When totality makes it to Charleston, South Carolina, it will be going at 1,502 mph.

totality, in which the moon totally blocks out the sun’s rays, is only about 70 miles wide. Those not in that 70-mile-wide strip across America will still see between a 20 percent to a 99 percent coverage of the sun by the moon.

chiacago local in backgroundn

Live stream countdown for Lincoln City, Oregon on youtube (with creepy music):

[video=youtube;yxgDcIwZBgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxgDcIwZBgU[/video]

18 minutes, 8 seconds to Totality...

edited to add: If you watch the video for a few seconds, you can see the moon moving! Cool!

We're seeing the moon shadow slowly nibble away at the sun here in Ashland, OR. We will get 93% totality. Fortunately the forest fire smoke isn't blocking it as I had feared.

No clouds or smoke and it's so cool so far! I was expecting the shadow to go from the side but it's coming from the top corner down. IDK if it looks different depending on where you are? Anyway this is bad *advertiser censored*! I can't wait for totality. I'm wondering if all the field animals are gonna trip. I'm gonna have to ask my farming coworkers tomorrow. So cool that I don't even have to leave my front yard!

I'm in the path of totality so I'm supposed to be able to take my glasses off for a minute or so in about 45 minutes.

Missing 2017’s total solar eclipse? Start planning for the next one in 2024

Many major cities will be in the path of the 2024 total solar eclipse, including Dallas; Little Rock, Arkansas; Indianapolis; Cleveland; Buffalo, New York; and Montreal. Some areas in 2017's total solar eclipse path of totality will once again experience a total solar eclipse in 2024, including Carbondale, Illinois; Cape Girardeau, Missouri; and Paducah, Kentucky.

On Aug. 12, 2045, the shadow of the moon will once again track across the United States, this time from Northern California to Florida.
Some may argue that this eclipse will be more impressive than 2017’s as the moon will completely block out the sun for over 6 minutes, more than twice as long as this week’s eclipse. This will also be the longest total solar eclipse experienced anywhere in the world until 2114.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...rt-planning-for-the-next-one-in-2024/70002507

No clouds or smoke and it's so cool so far! I was expecting the shadow to go from the side but it's coming from the top corner down. IDK if it looks different depending on where you are? Anyway this is bad *advertiser censored*! I can't wait for totality. I'm wondering if all the field animals are gonna trip. I'm gonna have to ask my farming coworkers tomorrow. So cool that I don't even have to leave my front yard!

I'm in the path of totality so I'm supposed to be able to take my glasses off for a minute or so in about 45 minutes.
BBM

That's exciting to be in the totality path. It came from the top corner here too. It's almost halfway now.

It's getting close to what will pass for total here...93%. We're about 10 minutes away from maximum. It's definitely darker, although I've seen it this dark in the morning just because of smoke before.

Now the sun looks like a crescent. About half hour until totality 😎
ETA noticeable drop in temperature. Not cold just noticeable

I'm here in the NYC area, we should get 72% of the moon covering the sun.

The action will begin at 1:23 p.m., when the moon will begin to pass in front of the sun. The black orb will appear to slowly darken our star until 2:44 p.m., when the maximum portion of the sun will be covered. By 4 p.m., the moon will move on and our skies will return to normal.

I'll let you guys know if a partial pass is visible. It's about 10 minutes until the start. I'm here at work until 4:00. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back