State's Response to Order RE: Deposition Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I've found:

Already deposed, they want to depose again:
Anthony Lazzaro - Oct 2008
Richard Cain - March/April 2009
Roy Kronk - November 2009
John Allen - March 9 2010 (not sure if this was actually done, filed a notice to)
Eric Edwards - March 10 2010 (not sure if done, filed a notice to)

Also deposed:
Tow-yard people: Catherine Sanchez, Simon Burch, Nicole Lett, and Gary Ridgeway - Oct 2008

Sergeant Dennis Moonsammy, Lt. Billy Richardson, Lt. Tammy Uncer, Officer Marlene Baker, Awilda McBryde, and Jerold White; Kio Cruz, Jim Hoover, Alex Roberts - March/April 2009

Phillip Graves, William Procknow, Edward Turso, Leonard Turtora, and Adriana Acevedo - May 2009

Adriana Acevedo, Matt Irwin - March 8, 2010
Appling Wells - March 11, 2010

A number of FBI analysts - April 2010

Which depositions were for the civil case and which were for the murder case? I would think that they would be allowed to do two separate depositions for the two different crimes.

I remember some of these people being called because ZFG's lawyer was trying to prove that KC made up the Zanny the nanny story to prove damages.

I'm really looking forwards to some of these depositions (grandma and uncle in particular) even though I have read the statements.

I think Baez & co. delayed taking these depositions because they want time to go by and then can claim to the jury that it is nearly impossible to rely on such stale memories...reasonable doubt. He probably didn't want to dip into his share of blood money to pay for them either and waited for state to pay for it.

I have a question here as well.

As I understand it, depositions are meant to explore what people know so the lawyers can best plan their cases. How is a deposition more important than statements taken at the time of the reported crime? What is the big deal about all of these depositions? Do they even need to happen if a prior statement exists? Save money and only depot people what have no prior statements!

Which depositions were for the civil case and which were for the murder case? I would think that they would be allowed to do two separate depositions for the two different crimes.

I remember some of these people being called because ZFG's lawyer was trying to prove that KC made up the Zanny the nanny story to prove damages.

As I understand it, depositions are meant to explore what people know so the lawyers can best plan their cases. How is a deposition more important than statements taken at the time of the reported crime? What is the big deal about all of these depositions? Do they even need to happen if a prior statement exists? Save money and only depot people what have no prior statements!

IMO, The Civil Trial has a different lead attorney representing Casey Anthony so if the Civil attorneys want to depose any of the witnesses in the Murder Case, then they are allowed to do so. I have not heard that Casey filed "indingency" in the Civil Trial.

Here is a link explaining the difference between "statements" and depositions".
http://www.whitfieldlaw.com/documents/resources/FTD_Published_Article_092008_437E5439B025D.pdf

I'm really looking forwards to some of these depositions (grandma and uncle in particular) even though I have read the statements.

I think Baez & co. delayed taking these depositions because they want time to go by and then can claim to the jury that it is nearly impossible to rely on such stale memories...reasonable doubt. He probably didn't want to dip into his share of blood money to pay for them either and waited for state to pay for it.

All of those were depos for the murder trial.

To my knowledge, the defense has not depoed anyone for the civil trial. Don't think they depoed anyone for the Fraud trial either.

A lawyer will have to answer your question about statements vs depos... I'm interested in the answer to that myself! :)

IMO, The Civil Trial has a different lead attorney representing Casey Anthony so if the Civil attorneys want to depose any of the witnesses in the Murder Case, then they are allowed to do so. I have not heard that Casey filed "indingency" in the Civil Trial.

Here is a link explaining the difference between "statements" and depositions".
http://www.whitfieldlaw.com/documents/resources/FTD_Published_Article_092008_437E5439B025D.pdf

Thanks for that Patty, (from another Patti ;) )

Just a note that I had read a response from AZlawyer that it is not possible for someone to file indigency in a civil trial.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5145816&postcount=738"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal questions for our VERIFIED lawyers on the board[/ame]

Here is the defense's Motion for Transcription filed 5/14. They want transcripts from 8 LE depositions that they've done.

a. Appling Wells
b. Adriana Acevedo
c. Matt Irwin
d. Lome Gottesman
e. Steven Shaw
f. Karen Lowe
g. Elizabeth Fontaine
h. Heather Seubert

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/39566240/05142010-Motion-For-Transcription

Anyone remember Michelle Medina, esquire? She's listed on the fax page along with Baez.

Thanks for that Patty, (from another Patti ;) )

Just a note that I had read a response from AZlawyer that it is not possible for someone to file indigency in a civil trial.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal questions for our VERIFIED lawyers on the board

It would be absurd to let the civil trial go forward. I think you have seen no depos in that case for three reasons..
1. Baez, having an extreme poor understanding of the nightmare it would cause to have so many people, including mom and pop, testify under oath,
for hours and hours, ( testimony that surely would be used to help the prosecution convict her of murder one )..did not set aside the 15K to settle . (Out of nearly three hundred thousand dollars, 15K would have been no problem). Although they are two separate cases, clearly it affected Casey's criminal trial. No money appears to have been set aside to defend the case either, so the civil lawyer is likely pro bono and a money problem is why they have not deposed anyone.
2. No lawyer, imo, in their right mind would ever, ever let this trial begin, until after the criminal case.
3. Resigned to their fate, ( they will lose, and they will lose BIG ), knowing one hundred percent of zero is zero, they have surmised Casey has nothing to lose.
They will settle , an amount forever to remain private, and if ,as and when Casey is ever free, the judgment can attach to any of her earnings through media deals, etc.

Not necessarily in that order, but for those, et al reasons, I cannot imagine this civil trial ever seeing the courtroom. The posturing is much like the defense jumping up and down about how hard it was, and how distracting, and bankrupting their ability to defend Casey the fraud trial was. Yet, you never saw any work being done on it,iirc they took not the first depo. They knew as we knew all along that they would plead guilty. The only thing they did was put off the inevitable and waste the court's time.
Same thing here.:banghead:
In the words of Assistant District Attorney Mrs. Linda Drane-Burdick, "It's a farce!!"

By the way, if Todd truly wanted to donate seventy thousand dollars to help Casey, paying Mrs. Gonzales and her children 15K out of that amount would have been the best money the defense could spend. Once mop and pop try to veer off their various testimonies, any and all statement they made in those civil depos are coming in to evidence. The same goes for Lee. They proved the there is no Zanny already for the state with those voluminous statements they gave, all contrary to their prior and future statements, etc. Once the jury pegs the parents as not to be believed, that lack of credibility shadows over on to Casey, no question. What would you think if the parents are lying on the stand, for what..they are likely lying to cover up for her guilt. That is a reasonable assumption. The good hard working taxpayers are going to despise this behavior.
In my opinion.

I think the state has many, many ( I believe Mr. George said he had 80-100 ) cases on each one of the prosecutors desks at any given time, and when they have to waste time on the defense's nonsense, I cannot imagine how frustrating it is.

Is that all they are asking for or will they want punitive damages?

Here is the defense's Motion for Transcription filed 5/14. They want transcripts from 8 LE depositions that they've done.

a. Appling Wells
b. Adriana Acevedo
c. Matt Irwin
d. Lome Gottesman
e. Steven Shaw
f. Karen Lowe
g. Elizabeth Fontaine
h. Heather Seubert

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/39566240/05142010-Motion-For-Transcription

Anyone remember Michelle Medina, esquire? She's listed on the fax page along with Baez.

Michelle Medina yucking it up, having a grand time just laughing and joking at Hearing for a MURDERED CHILD!!! Disgusting!!!
I guess MM is taking the place of KC's "crush" atty Jose # 2?
Atty Michelle Medina is a fairly new lawyer - Admitted: 04/21/2009

http://www.wftv.com/video/23473853/index.html
Budget Hearing Part 1

KChearingMay620107.jpg

KChearingMay620106.jpg

As I understand it, depositions are meant to explore what people know so the lawyers can best plan their cases. How is a deposition more important than statements taken at the time of the reported crime? What is the big deal about all of these depositions? Do they even need to happen if a prior statement exists? Save money and only depot people what have no prior statements
!

I also do not believe Kazen has done any depos for the civil trial. Maybe they think if they ignore it, it will go away...:waitasec:

Not an attorney but did try and find an explanation for you, Jomo...

Both are able to be introduced at trial, but the deposition would comply with the rules of criminal procedure, while the sworn statement, could face an objection by defense counsel, because of the steps that were taken to get it. Another thing I want to add is the following. A defendant rarely gives a deposition. Any deposition taken, would be that of a witness. The depo would be used to contradict any facts at trial, that were different then that given previously. The signed statement, is more of an admission against interest, that would be introduced at trial, by the investigator. The key difference, is that the deposition would be used to impeach a witness, while the signed statement, would be used as an admission against the defendant, to refute a claim of innocence. Rarely would a person go to trial, when they have given a signed confession, unless they are faced with no other choice. I hope this clears everything up.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions...ween-the-legality-in-a-criminal#ixzz0pbI5RfZm

If the witness is called to testify and then changes their version of the story at trial, the admission made in the signed statement during the investigation CAN be used for impeachment purposes and to show a prior inconsistent statement. The prosecutor will not object to what is in the signed statement because they work with the police to gather information. If it is shown that the police over-stepped or abused their authority, it would hurt the credibility of the overall case.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions...ween-the-legality-in-a-criminal#ixzz0pbKAN625

I do believe this puts ICA in a quandry...she started out being a "witness" to an alleged not returning a child and quickly went to "suspect"...all her statements made during this investigation can be used against her, IMO...ICA did not submit to a depostion since she is the accused..

Justice for Caylee

Is this the place to discuss today's hearing? I'm fairly new around here, even though I've been a member for some time.

Is this the place to discuss today's hearing? I'm fairly new around here, even though I've been a member for some time.

Hiya Dun. ltns. :)

I was just wondering myself if there was a live hearing today. I have things to do but don't want to miss it either.

There is a live hearing today at 2:00 PM EDT and info regarding who is covering the hearing is in the Today's Current News thread.

There is a thread that was started yesterday for today's hearing, however it is closed. Perhaps the thread will be re-opened for today's hearing. [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105804"]2010.06.01 Hearing - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

There is a live hearing today at 2:00 PM and info regarding who is covering the hearing is in the Today's Current News thread.

There is a thread that was started yesterday for today's hearing, however it is closed. Perhaps the thread will be re-opened for today's hearing. 2010.06.01 Hearing - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you Patty.
1.gif
I'll take that as 1pm central.:woohoo:
Plenty of time to get meself all muddy. :)

Hiya Dun. ltns. :)

I was just wondering myself if there was a live hearing today. I have things to do but don't want to miss it either.
Hey you! I thought it was at 9:00 a.m., but see it's at 2:00 p.m. Thanks to the other posters who gave us the info.

Woohoo LDB, go get 'em.

She remains calm, she knows her stuff, she is sure and steady to the course. She is the epitome of Lions don't need to roar!

"Your Honor...this is legally insufficient as a matter of law, it is internally inconsistent,it is full of legal argument but no law, it is replete with errors from top to bottom...it doesn't even come close to the legal requirement ,for you to even entertain....it is..
it's a farce!" Linda Drane Burdick apparently astonished at the ridiculous
motion (s) prepared by the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members