Trial Thread 4/26/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craziladi and Jezebel, sorry yesterday I did totally have a brain fart. I was using my CTB to calculate and I get $700 for both kids (I get so much as I am a student a the moment). So you can get about $350/per child depending on your income. Sorry everyone for the misinformation :)

No worries and thanks, I thought maybe I was missing out on something lol

Anyone that could be as calm as those two were after the murder are complete psychopaths. This is how sick people behave.

I think I read yesterday the crown had one more witness and will do a recap of surveillance and close...... Do you think the witness will be an officer doing the surveillance recap or maybe the crown is saving the best witness for last?

I think I read yesterday the crown had one more witness and will do a recap of surveillance and close...... Do you think the witness will be an officer doing the surveillance recap or maybe the crown is saving the best witness for last?

Good question. I'm just wondering if the defense will start immediately or will they request a long weekend break before they start. Derstine already got a sick day so he should get no other free days. LOL

Hope the jury is thinking the same way. I think it's ironic that his defenders speculated that he may have been afraid of the hammer weilding madwoman and in this video he's flexing his biceps and clearly showing how much stronger he is than the convicted child killer. Strong enough to pick up those 100 lb boulders to throw on Tori's little body. :(

I don't think anyone is defending him, some are waiting to hear all evidence from both sides before deciding his guilt on the charges for which he is on trial for.

list of "jobs" Rafferty said he had or is believed to have had
Can't wait to hear what he actually did do as a living

Rafferty's real job: was living off the avails of prostitution
Mr. Rafferty essentially pimped out one girlfriend and proceeded to drain her of close to $17,000

-Contractor
-Landscaper
-worked a better beef in Guelph (slaughterhouse)
-Dance Instuctor
-was said to be in college working towards a Veterinary Assistant
-Caretaker (for his Mother) & TLM's Mother
-Possible drug traffic
-As MR stated in the LE interview, he also worked at Glen Abbey.
-And I believe he was a chef, trained at George Brown.
-working under the table
-Dance Instructor
-Had his own Contracting Business
-Snow Plower
-HR-hiring person for construction sites
-worked @ Juvenile Detention Centre(London on Oxford St)
-Teacher Dance Class
-Ballroom Dance Teacher
-working in the home renovation business

GlobalNews.ca ‏ @globaltvnews
#Rafferty trial: http://ow.ly/ax0b7 Crown expected to wrap up case with last witness, a video analyst

I know you didn't address me in your post but I believe it is because they are two peas in a pod.

Both psychopaths, imo

Agree. They both had their own sick agendas and after the crime they had a bond between them like no other. MOO

Hope the jury is thinking the same way. I think it's ironic that his defenders speculated that he may have been afraid of the hammer weilding madwoman and in this video he's flexing his biceps and clearly showing how much stronger he is than the convicted child killer. Strong enough to pick up those 100 lb boulders to throw on Tori's little body. :(

I'm not a body language expert, but the way he prances around her does not in any stretch of the imagination indicate how I would expect someone who is afraid or horrified of the person in front of him would behave. JMO!!!

9:35
Mike Knoll: Randy Richmond's morning update:

The Crown in the first-degree murder trial of Michael Rafferty plans to finish presenting its evidence in a London courtroom Thursday.

What happens after that remains unknown.

Defence lawyer Dirk Derstine has not said yet if he plans to call any witnesses.

The Crown presented its case in a dozen chapters, with the last expected to wrap up video surveillance evidence.

It was a video from a high school surveillance camera that gave police an early break in the case and fueled public interest.

The tape showed eight-year-old Victoria Stafford walking home after school with an unknown woman on April 8, 2009.

The woman, Terri-Lynne McClintic, confessed in May 2009 to the abduction and later pleaded guilty to first-degree murder.

Her testimony formed the foundation of the case against Rafferty, 31, who has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual assault causing bodily harm.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/26/19681511.html

Good question. I'm just wondering if the defense will start immediately or will they request a long weekend break before they start. Derstine already got a sick day so he should get no other free days. LOL

I think it will depend on the time the crown finishes at, maybe if they finish around lunch time, the defense will start in the afternoon?

I agree no more free days lol, I hope they don't take an extra long weekend again.

AM980 testimony resumes at 10 a.m. with the Crown expecting to wrap its case by the end of today

VIDEO: jury sees Rafferty visiting Terri-Lynne McClintic at detention centre, weeks after Tori Stafford murder http://bit.ly/Jsa1vy

VIDEO) Jurors see video of Rafferty visiting McClintic at youth detention centre at his first degree murder trial. http://bit.ly/JSn4Kq

were you guys given the text messages that were shown as evidence? Was the jury able to see the actual messages that went between Rafferty and MC?

Mike Knoll: @guest - no. just the time and date of the messages -- not the content

Can Rafferty be convicted of a lesser charge such as an accessory if the jury finds him not guilty of 1st degree murder?

Mike Knoll: @D - this depends on the judge's instructions to the jury previous to deliberations. It varies from trial to trial.

I don't understand how, in the Canadian Criminal Justice System, that the defence does not have to provide any discovery or witness lists to the Crown prior to the day they take over their presentation. How is it right that the Crown has no idea what is going to be presented and no opportunity to investigate and interview any witnesses the defence may call as to their credibility or expertise? And they just have to "wing it" with their cross? This does not seem like a fair system in determining a person's innocence or guilt to me.

MOO

9:50
Mike Knoll: Interesting tidbit from colleague Chip Martin - he says that if Rafferty is going to be called to testify, it is required that he testify first, before any other defence witnesses. So we will know soon if Rafferty is going to testify.

bbm

I don't understand how, in the Canadian Criminal Justice System, that the defence does not have to provide any discovery or witness lists to the Crown prior to the day they take over their presentation. How is it right that the Crown has no idea what is going to be presented and no opportunity to investigate and interview any witnesses the defence may call as to their credibility or expertise? And they just have to "wing it" with their cross? This does not seem like a fair system in determining a person's innocence or guilt to me.

MOO

Like I stated in a previous post. The criminals have all the rights. The victims, sadly have none. IMO

9:53
Mike Knoll: @dustin - yes, sir.
9:53
Comment From dustin
Excuse me sir, Will the legal reason be made public once the jury has been sequestered?
9:52
Mike Knoll: @Lev - yes
9:51
Comment From lev
is there a legal reason that the content of the texts has not been disclosed to the jury?
Mike Knoll: @Carol - he'll still answer questions but he's not doing formal noon pressers anymore.
Comment From Carol
Is Rodney Stafford not speaking to the media anymore?

Wow so they do have the contents of the texts but they can't be released. I bet the defense objected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77