Rebecca Nalepa - suicide or murder? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, but I've yet to see a link that AS ever went to the hospital to visit Max, or JS. If AS arrived on Tuesday, did he go to the hospital anytime that day? Did he even see JS?

Anyone know?

Mel

RN appeared to be concerned with the care of the dog.
They obviously have a courtyard, why not leave the dog outside, while AS/RN visited the hospital.

As far as I know only the parents have been reported being at the hospital. ICU rules, immediate family only?
IMO

The family could have very well been told that Maxie was "brain dead" on Monday. I'm sure the hospital ran an initial MRI upon admission. The MRI on Wednesday (posted above) may well have been to confirm the initial findings. Thus, giving the family time to make arrangements for the organ donations. Hence, the FB post by his half-sister on Friday/Saturday. Once everything complete, the announcement of his passing on Sunday.

I had posted earlier about the other child and dog and Maxie possibly running thru the house and the accident occurring from that.........

Does anyone know if Maxie was a special needs child?

For some reason it seems that RN was "quieted"........

Loud music is commonly equated with a party...but not necessarily so. Loud music can also disguise screams....or make it seem that there IS a party.

My theory thus far: I'm stuck on the 3rd person in the house when Max fell. The 13 yr old made the 911 call; I posted the link upthread, last night. I wonder if all was not well between half-siblings...if it was a half sibling at the house. There would be no death investigation while the child stayed on life support and he did, even though I read there was no pulse or breathing after he fell and when paramedics arrived (I also posted link saying such, upthread). Did he ever regain a pulse or breathe? I know they donated organs, read the link posted upthread...is that why he was kept alive? And it seems Rebecca died before too many questions could be asked about the fall. Was she questioned at all? Is that convenient for someone? Many questions, friends...not many answers, yet. Those sealed search warrants are really irking me...they may give a clue.

Some of the same thoughts, but mostly I wondered if Jonah's daughter was watching after Max at the time and perhaps Rebecca was not even in the room? Or visa versa?

I'm not saying either one did anything wrong, just that others appear to want to keep this vague for some reason. All they had to do in the first place was present something that made sense and just outright say whatever Rebecca told them. What the heck initially led LE to conclude it was just an unfortunate accident.

I think it's incredibly weird that there are two witnesses and one is gone, the other is being kept secretive as far as we can tell. Jonah's daughter looks to be a fairly mature 13/14 year old from pics. Maybe this isn't true but I feel kind of bad for her if she was wisked away, tried to post on facebook and it was silenced, and so on.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/la-me-mansion-deaths-20110719,0,6755839.story - my comments bolded

Shacknai's brother, Adam, a guest at the home, told investigators that he found Nalepa and cut her down in hopes that she was still alive. The two were the only ones in the house at the time

Change in story; thought initial it was reported RN was in distress

After he fell, Max Shacknai was rushed to Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego, where his father and mother — Jonah Shacknai's ex-wife, Dina, who also lives in Coronado — kept a vigil.

From this, it leads you to believe they never left the hospital

Investigators declined to say where Jonah Shacknai, 54, was when Nalepa's body was found.

Why even mention this....makes my hinky meter move; if they decline, does that mean he was not at the hospital holding the vigil?

RN appeared to be concerned with the care of the dog.
They obviously have a courtyard, why not leave the dog outside, while AS/RN visited the hospital.

As far as I know only the parents have been reported being at the hospital. ICU rules, immediate family only?
IMO

A few of us thought the dog was still fairly young, had some pup in it ... and, that maybe Rebecca thought she may be gone or in an out more at the time. Some dogs still are rambunctious, tear stuff up, need more attention and so forth when younger. The dog was 18 months old I believe, possibly a bit high strung, and larger Weimaraner. Who knows what she was planning, was told, if plans changed or so forth. I find it odd no one just has said what was going on or whether they had contact with her.

There was one article that said Dina sister was at the hospital, I believe. I linked it a while back.

Some of the same thoughts, but mostly I wondered if Jonah's daughter was watching after Max at the time and perhaps Rebecca was not even in the room? Or visa versa?

I'm not saying either one did anything wrong, just that others appear to want to keep this vague for some reason. All they had to do in the first place was present something that made sense and just outright say whatever Rebecca told them. What the heck initially led LE to conclude it was just an unfortunate accident.

I think it's incredibly weird that there are two witnesses and one is gone, the other is being kept secretive as far as we can tell. Jonah's daughter looks to be a fairly mature 13/14 year old from pics. Maybe this isn't true but I feel kind of bad for her if she was wisked away, tried to post on facebook and it was silenced, and so on.

I read there are TWO daughters of Jonah and the 1st wife; a 13 yr old AND a 14 yr old. I THINK read it on this thread, I'll see if I can find it, or anyone have a link handy? SO, which one wrote the FB message and which one might have been at the house?

scorekeeper ... I tend to think the same (bolded). I think he was just kept on life support till they could deal with the fact he wasn't coming back.

Although I still think his cause of death is a mystery... I perused some articles to see for any causes, seems a lot of them

Why Might a Child or a Teen Experience a Cardiac Arrest ?
http://learnedfromdaniel.blogspot.com/2011/05/why-might-child-or-teen-experience.html

This cause is not mentioned in the above article though ...
ADHD Drugs May Cause Sudden Cardiac Arrest

BBM.

Has it been stated that Max suffered from ADHD? I haven't seen that anywhere.

For what it's worth, DS is a psychologist with a particular research interest in ADHD.

http://www.melmedcenter.com/drshacknai

http://www.wsbt.com/news/la-me-mansion-deaths-20110719,0,6755839.story - my comments bolded

Shacknai's brother, Adam, a guest at the home, told investigators that he found Nalepa and cut her down in hopes that she was still alive. The two were the only ones in the house at the time

Change in story; thought initial it was reported RN was in distress

After he fell, Max Shacknai was rushed to Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego, where his father and mother — Jonah Shacknai's ex-wife, Dina, who also lives in Coronado — kept a vigil.

From this, it leads you to believe they never left the hospital

Investigators declined to say where Jonah Shacknai, 54, was when Nalepa's body was found.

Why even mention this....makes my hinky meter move; if they decline, does that mean he was not at the hospital holding the vigil?

I suspect that "holding a vigil" really means one or the other of them were there at all times, not that they both were there at all times. Further, I'm really thinking they either haven't or can't verify Jonah was there all the time or where he was - either that or they know he was somewhere else or could be somewhere else at the time. Nothing in what has been reported makes me think they were both there all that time. But yeah, it makes it sound hinky since they aren't really saying anything concrete.

I read there are TWO daughters of Jonah and the 1st wife; a 13 yr old AND a 14 yr old. I THINK read it on this thread, I'll see if I can find it, or anyone have a link handy? SO, which one wrote the FB message and which one might have been at the house?

It was G I think. I thought there were two daughters also, but he has a teenage son... so I think it's probably two teenagers, one son, one daughter? I thought his daughter was 14 though and the oldest.

Yes, but wouldn’t a head injury be an obvious cause of death?

Would there still be an autopsy if assessments showed brain injury and the victim was know to have fallen on his head?

all imo

Yes. Accidental deaths, including this one, in children are almost always autopsied. When there is no known cause of accident, and in this case we just don't know why Max fell, it is almost a given that there will be an autopsy...and I can't see the family foregoing it if given the chance.

I had a patient who died. She passed from cancer. Her family, despite being under a Drs care, and knowing what disease she had, demanded an autopsy. My patient had the autopsy. Next of kin, or parents in the cases of minor children, would have a great deal of weight in this decision for an autopsy.

Also, when a brain-dead patient is prepared for donation of organs, lots and lots (and then more) tests are done to determine if there is anything - the least little thing - that would affect the organ transplant, such as medications, drugs, et cetera. Often, the donation place will ask that a 24 hour "clearance" be done before removing the organs...meaning, nothing but life sustaining drugs are given so that the organs are clean.

I have heard that tox reports are being rushed...meaning maybe two weeks instead of 6. I do believe that LE has far more than they're releasing...far more.

Best-
Herding Cats

He has two children from a previous marriage to a woman named Kimberly James.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...t/articles+(The+Daily+Beast+-+Latest+Articles)
His first wife, Kimberly, filed for divorce in December 1998, and the feuding lasted until they finally settled in February 2001. The fight revolved around money and the custody of their two children, now ages 14 and 13.
[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6923711&postcount=126"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Rebecca Nalepa[/ame]

San Diego station Channel 8 was among media that quoted a message on the social-media website Facebook that was reportedly posted by G. Shacknai, the 14-year-old daughter of Jonah Shacknai.

"RIP Maxie. We'll miss your sweet smile and kind heart more than you'll ever know. I'll love you forever," the posting said, according to the station.

So, it appears the 13 yr old MAY have been at the home and the 14 yr old MAY have posted the message.

"I live here, I'm from here, A lady was killed here," said Marco Perez, manager of Emerald City Surf Shop. "In a town like this, I don't think (authorities) have a plan for dealing with . . . a murder."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...ld-dies-from-injuries-0717.html#ixzz1SfipcH91

The long orange electrical cord could be in the home to use with the vacuum sweeper. With such large rooms it would be easier to use extension cords than to plug and unplug the shorter sweeper cord.

BBM May I ask what you mean by silenced? If I understand correctly, the half sister wrote "RIP Maxie," etc., on FB on Friday. Was there some other attempt at posting something that I'm missing?

Dina also submitted a two-page letter, describing Jonah as temperamental. She said the incident began over a disagreement with their child’s soiled bedding and that Jonah cursed at her in front of their child.
He “physically intimidated” her, she wrote, by “coming very close to (her), ‘nose to nose,’” and continuing to insult and threaten" her with name-calling in a “menacing tone.” She added that her attempts to keep an arm’s distance from Jonah during the incident resulted in her hand moving from his chest to his throat.
“Although Jonah feels entitled to name call, push etc, when I attempt to set boundaries via my personal space, he then assumes the role of victim,” Dina wrote.

Source: Details Shed on Shacknai's Second Divorce | NBC San Diego
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/125848813.html

Dr Drew is also covering tonight.
I'm glad they are moving on from Casey A.

IMO

BBM May I ask what you mean by silenced? If I understand correctly, the half sister wrote "RIP Maxie," etc., on FB on Friday. Was there some other attempt at posting something that I'm missing?

There are 2 sisters, I posted the links to show. The 13 yr old is rumored to have been at the home and the 14 yr old is G., who posted the FB message that was removed, links upthread.

There are 2 sisters, I posted the links to show. The 13 yr old is rumored to have been at the home and the 14 yr old is G., who posted the FB message that was removed, links upthread.

earlier in this thread somewhere, someone posted an obituary of JS mom, and it states that there is a boy and a girl. it is also stated that there was a boy and a girl elsewhere iirc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member