Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

After a period of reflection of what has been discovered about her in the last few years, we are possibly no closer.

Last week marked 31 years.

There are things about this woman, Mary Jo Thompson (missing 1980), that seem right. Hairline, earlobes, nose, eye color, weight. Possible reason for bruised toenail. Last known to be somewhere in California (Los Angeles County PD handling investigation, though NamUs has her listed as missing out of Lufkin, TX).

That said, she's too short, eyebrows are too full, teeth seem straight in available pics, lacks the distinguishing moles that Carl put in his reconstruction.

Anyway, I'd like to ask that you keep her in mind for California. Because she's listed missing out of Lufkin, she probably doesn't get associated with CA-area cases very much.

And here's a link to a couple Tahoe-area UIDs from 1979 and 1982.

Profile was modified on Namus. She is now a 5 star Identification Potential and her dental images have been removed. She previously was a 4 star. Anyone ever hear of this?

Because of the DNA, maybe? They've been making the dental information invisible on other cases for some time.

Because of the DNA, maybe? They've been making the dental information invisible on other cases for some time.

Hmmm, I know it'd be too much to hope for an ID on this case. I emailed the Coroner tech assigned this case. Maybe she would talk with me on this case. I know I've been more or less banished by the detective in charge of talking any on it.

the victim is believe to be of European descent based upon an inoculation scar and unique dental work. Although many leads have been pursued, her identity and whereabouts prior to her death are still a mystery.”

I wonder if the vaccination scar looks like a BCG vaccination scar, not a smallpox vaccination scar, or are they suggesting it's a BCG scar due to her dental work?

She could be an American child of a serviceman stationed in Europe at one time- or not. South America gave the smallpox vac (longer than the US); so South American is also a possibility.

I wonder if the vaccination scar looks like a BCG vaccination scar, not a smallpox vaccination scar, or are they suggesting it's a BCG scar due to her dental work?

She could be an American child of a serviceman stationed in Europe at one time- or not. South America gave the smallpox vac (longer than the US); so South American is also a possibility.

The assumption was made by the coroner at the time due to his German wife having a similar inoculation scar on her arm and "European" dentistry. I had an independent dentist review her charts and images of her teeth and could not see what "European" dentistry was being referenced. Here we are 32 years later confused right from jump street.

I have searched but I can't find it, I remember at one point there was a few links to different websites. One of which detailed a few unsolved murders on Mt. Rose as well as an account of a BLM agent who was raped and beaten while on patrol along the trails. I'm compiling as much research info as I can. I don't know what I'm doing at this long other than typing.
I don't know is she will be a chapter in something larger or a dedicated book. This case has just engulfed me and needs to be retold.

I was thinking the other day -- when they took her picture around to ask if anybody knew her -- I kind of think her murderer looked at it, shook his head, and said he'd never seen her.

I was thinking the other day -- when they took her picture around to ask if anybody knew her -- I kind of think her murderer looked at it, shook his head, and said he'd never seen her.

I know they were hot for that lead of her being married to a service man. I wonder if they just don't have enough proof or evidence to really nail someone on it.

I know they were hot for that lead of her being married to a service man. I wonder if they just don't have enough proof or evidence to really nail someone on it.

I can believe that, though it sounds like it could have been part of the "European dentistry" red herring.

We spent a couple of days at Lake Tahoe last fall. We didn't go over this particular road though. We drove over from Sacramento, stopped at a trail to go for a walk, met friends from Reno for dinner, and stayed overnight at the lake. I was struck by what an easy trip it was in good weather, especially with the long days of summer. I didn't expect all the beautiful beaches, either. I was picturing "Mountain lake, brr!" But it was really nice.

So the fact she's wearing a swimsuit no longer surprises me. I can picture her and her husband driving over from the Sacramento area, stopping to swim at the lake and then later taking a walk. Hundreds of people were doing exactly that.

I was also struck by how empty most of the areas were between bursts of people. Sometimes we were driving or walking with people all around us, and then we'd turn a corner and we'd be the only ones for a few minutes. I can see how her murderer could have waited until one of those breaks, shot her, and just kept walking.

I can believe that, though it sounds like it could have been part of the "European dentistry" red herring.

We spent a couple of days at Lake Tahoe last fall. We didn't go over this particular road though. We drove over from Sacramento, stopped at a trail to go for a walk, met friends from Reno for dinner, and stayed overnight at the lake. I was struck by what an easy trip it was in good weather, especially with the long days of summer. I didn't expect all the beautiful beaches, either. I was picturing "Mountain lake, brr!" But it was really nice.

So the fact she's wearing a swimsuit no longer surprises me. I can picture her and her husband driving over from the Sacramento area, stopping to swim at the lake and then later taking a walk. Hundreds of people were doing exactly that.

I was also struck by how empty most of the areas were between bursts of people. Sometimes we were driving or walking with people all around us, and then we'd turn a corner and we'd be the only ones for a few minutes. I can see how her murderer could have waited until one of those breaks, shot her, and just kept walking.

Now factor in that she was shot at night, believed 12-4am. There was also snow on the ground in July. That's not uncommon, but it was also so much snow that cross country skiers were featured in a new article a few weeks before in almost the same spot.

Now factor in that she was shot at night, believed 12-4am. There was also snow on the ground in July. That's not uncommon, but it was also so much snow that cross country skiers were featured in a new article a few weeks before in almost the same spot.

Fair enough, but that part of July is typically among the hottest times of year here. I looked up the weather for that date in the historical search on wunderground.com and the results were as follows:
in SLT, CA, the high was 75, low was 61
in Reno, NV, the high was 87 and the low was 50 (all Farenheit)

1982 wasn't a particularly hot year, but it was just as dry as any other. In my experience, even though locals like you and I would say the water in Tahoe is "hella cold," it's not typically very miserable because it's usually SO sunny and SO dry outside. And washoe valley is famously windy. My very thick, very long hair dried in just minutes yesterday in Reno.

It's conceivable to me that Jane Doe was still prancing around in her swimsuit at 3AM, since it wasn't particularly cold, and her suit was most certainly dry.

Just my 2 cents, not trying to argue etc :loveyou:

Fair enough, but that part of July is typically among the hottest times of year here. I looked up the weather for that date in the historical search on wunderground.com and the results were as follows:
in SLT, CA, the high was 75, low was 61
in Reno, NV, the high was 87 and the low was 50 (all Farenheit)

1982 wasn't a particularly hot year, but it was just as dry as any other. In my experience, even though locals like you and I would say the water in Tahoe is "hella cold," it's not typically very miserable because it's usually SO sunny and SO dry outside. And washoe valley is famously windy. My very thick, very long hair dried in just minutes yesterday in Reno.

It's conceivable to me that Jane Doe was still prancing around in her swimsuit at 3AM, since it wasn't particularly cold, and her suit was most certainly dry.

Just my 2 cents, not trying to argue etc :loveyou:

No argument at all. Whomever she was with used the lake to lure her up there. She wouldn't be dressed the way she was. We just got to remember the facts. We know there was snow on the ground because;

1- footprints from the parking area to the murder site, returning set from the killer back to the car and tire prints by the road where the steps end. Both in snow and mud.

2- news article from a month before showing the snow and skiers.

3- personally living there we know how it is.

It was probably one of those perfect Tahoe days. She has a tan, you can see it. She actually reminds me of a tan Isabelle Adjani, during the late 70's. But I digress.

Because of the time and location, I want to buy into the notion that they were camping in the area. Just because of the lack of evening wear she had on. Could they be returning to their camp site, local home, hotel? God I wish I knew which direction the car came from and went to.

Plus we know the man left his shorts behind as well. Unless he used those old style men's swim shorts as a kind of underwear with pants. You remember those super short old style ones?

No argument at all. Whomever she was with used the lake to lure her up there. She wouldn't be dressed the way she was. We just got to remember the facts. We know there was snow on the ground because;

Because of the time and location, I want to buy into the notion that they were camping in the area. Just because of the lack of evening wear she had on. Could they be returning to their camp site, local home, hotel? God I wish I knew which direction the car came from and went to.

I wonder if any evidence of a recent campfire/party remnants were found up in the trails. This area was pretty "out there," back then. Galena High opened in 1992 and I don't think the commercial development down there happened until the mid-late 90's.

Seems that it could have been a popular place for kids to go party and couples to go find privacy. I can imagine the two of them (men's short-shorts and all...) heading back to town after a day at the lake, and him convincing her to go explore the woods and losing track of a few hours.

I wonder if any evidence of a recent campfire/party remnants were found up in the trails. This area was pretty "out there," back then. Galena High opened in 1992 and I don't think the commercial development down there happened until the mid-late 90's.

Seems that it could have been a popular place for kids to go party and couples to go find privacy. I can imagine the two of them (men's short-shorts and all...) heading back to town after a day at the lake, and him convincing her to go explore the woods and losing track of a few hours.

Anything is possible. Just up the road about another mile or so are the camper ground areas for Mt. Rose. Police interviewed everyone that was camping there and no one remembered hearing a gunshot. Now at night in that area, the sound would travel.

Came across this again today and am dumb struck at how similar all 3 murders are. http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/schnee.html

Came across this again today and am dumb struck at how similar all 3 murders are. http://www.rockymountaincoldcase.com/schnee.html

Well, that's terrifying... Mom, can I sleep in your room tonight?!

I don't think I had heard of either of those cases before.

There is something about the eyes in the sketch of the "mystery witness" woman from the Schnee casefil that reminds me of Jane Doe, but it's probably nothing more than wishful thinking and a tired brain...

Well, that's terrifying... Mom, can I sleep in your room tonight?!

I don't think I had heard of either of those cases before.

There is something about the eyes in the sketch of the "mystery witness" woman from the Schnee casefil that reminds me of Jane Doe, but it's probably nothing more than wishful thinking and a tired brain...

I thought it too. The picture of the mystery man makes it even more scary, especially cause it looks like he's had his *advertiser censored* kicked. At least, the shadowing looks like a black eye and big lip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back