Penn State's athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child sex case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Paterno will decide that he's finally ready to "retire"

Also an interesting tidbit for you, when this initally came out years ago, it was kept out of the media. Our local paper had it headlined for like 5 seconds and then it was gone. All to protect the PSU legacy, not to mention the millions of dollars in alumni support...

I'm ashamed to be a graduate of Penn State.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_states_curley_schultz_are.html

Pittsburgh lawyer Thomas J. Farrell, who represents Schultz, said on Sunday that the law requiring some school officials and others to report suspected child abuse does not apply to his client.

Farrell said the mandated reporting rules only apply to people who come into direct contact with children. He also said the statute of limitations for the summary offense with which Schultz is charged is two years, so it expired in 2004.

The law “applies only to children under the care and supervision of the organization for which he works, and that’s Penn State. It’s not The Second Mile,” Farrell said of his client. “This child, from what we know, was a Second Mile child.”

How do these administrators and lawyers sleep at night? Seriously. Finding the infamous loophole to hide under. What about acting with honor, integrity, and responsibility as a decent human being? Since the children were not associated with Penn State, they were not required to save them from this monster. I am so disgusted with this story.

And (again) I'm perplexed about the graduate assistant, who according to the grand jury report, witnessed Sandusky RAPING a child in the shower. When he and his father reported this to the school and could see criminal charges were not filed, why didn't they go to the police and follow this through to the end?

Sandusky is a text-book predator. And a lucky one at that. If just ONE person who was aware of what he did stood up to him and the PSU administration and went to the police and didn't stop until something was done, some of these children could have been saved. But, these were under-privileged kids from single-parent homes, foster homes, presumably minority kids. Who cares. They are unworthy of saving. This is the message I hear loudly.

I am repulsed.

I subscribe to Rivals sports forums. I just went to the Penn State forum. One father write that he sent his son to football camps put on by this predator twice and it was a good experience. I urged him to talk to his son. He could be a victim or a witness.

I don't know how Joe Paterno avoided prosecution. He failed to report this to le, and allowed this guy further access to football facilities for years after, accompanied by young boys. This dates back to before 1998. That was when he was 1st investigated by the u, yet the grad assistant witnessed this in 2002, 4 years later.

The graduate student and Paterno should be charged as well, JMO. Why he didn't walk out of the shower and call police immediately is beyond reasoning. He should have then walked into the shower and screamed at Sandusky to stop it right then. Paterno and the GS need to be indicted too, JMO.

This is so disturbing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...d-tim-curley-charged-perjury-article-1.972670

In the article above, it states a grad student witnessed Sandusky molesting a child in a locker room and went to the school authorities (with his father) and apparently no action was really taken. It makes me wonder why they didn't go directly to the police? Actually witnessing child abuse like that is definitely worthy of police involvement.

I totally agree.

The graduate student and Paterno should be charged as well, JMO. Why he didn't walk out of the shower and call police immediately is beyond reasoning. He should have then walked into the shower and screamed at Sandusky to stop it right then. Paterno and the GS need to be indicted too, JMO.

But charged with what? With this convenient little loophole, they are free to walk away with no liability apparently. I would hope they resign due to the shame they should feel. JoPa is way past his retirement anyways, but has an ego bigger than PA so I can't see him going anywhere voluntarily.

But charged with what? With this convenient little loophole, they are free to walk away with no liability apparently. I would hope they resign due to the shame they should feel. JoPa is way past his retirement anyways, but has an ego bigger than PA so I can't see him going anywhere voluntarily.

You're right, but that loophole needs to be closed and the statute of limitations extended. JMO

A shout out to law enforcement in PA in general-in the last several years they have been shining a bright spotlight on this kind of serial abuse. Between the Catholic bishops and Sandusky, I think they are proving there are no sacred cows in their quest.

As to the fact that Penn State is paying for the legal defense of those who were completely complicit in this cover up, and those who have been proven to have lied to the grand jury investigating it-I cant help but believe there is going to be tremendous pressure to cut them all loose.

If I were a Penn state grad, I would be making quite a few phone calls fwiw.

Second Mile Foundation. At risk youth.

Just came back to remove the link to this charitable orginization. The last thing at risk youth need is to be put at more risk.

Just noting that Dottie Huck who is a member of Second Mile says we should help Mr. Sandusky. He made a mistake. As usual someone mentions all the good a pedophile has done as if it outweighs the seuxal and mental abuse of children.

Dottie, a mistake is missing your alarm clock. A mistake doesn't ruin the lives of children and their families. A mistake doesn't have children up until adulthood doubting the dang human race thanks to people like this pedophile.

"Jer's law". In his biography it's obvious this guy lied his tail off. "Touched". I don't plan to read it.

How the heck did he get to adopt a child out of foster care from this orginization? As an adult none the less.

Here, Here. I knew you would have this covered Filly.

The Grad Student is now the Defensive Coordinator for Penn State Football!

Update The Grad Student is now the Wide Receivers Coach and Recruiting Coordinator.

Sandusky may have retired but he still had access to an office, all football events, parking, telephone, and his family still had all the benefits granted to faculty!

Way more to this story.

When Paterno saw Sandusky continue his behavior and having young men around him, taking them to dinners and out of town games and to Tofftrees (where the Penn State players stayed prior to games ) Paterno was morally responsible, at a minimum to follow up. A pedofile/rapist and JoPa looks the other way for years and years.

Paterno has stayed to long at the dance IMO he will now go in disgrace.

Sorry - this Grad Student is now the Wide Receivers Coach and Recruiting Coordinator.

A shout out to law enforcement in PA in general-in the last several years they have been shining a bright spotlight on this kind of serial abuse. Between the Catholic bishops and Sandusky, I think they are proving there are no sacred cows in their quest.

As to the fact that Penn State is paying for the legal defense of those who were completely complicit in this cover up, and those who have been proven to have lied to the grand jury investigating it-I cant help but believe there is going to be tremendous pressure to cut them all loose.

If I were a Penn state grad, I would be making quite a few phone calls fwiw.

Just waiting for the Booster to throw their :twocents: in to the mix.

Hmm.....

Former Centre County DA Ray Gricar's reasons for not pursuing case against Jerry Sandusky are unknown (pennlive.com)
Prosecutor Ray Gricar wasn’t one to be intimidated by high-profile cases.

He didn’t dabble in politics or enjoy limelight.

Gricar, who went missing in 2005 and declared dead in July, was an introverted man who affiliated himself with few and wasn’t easily swayed by others.
---
The state attorney general’s office says Gricar is the one who made the decision not to prosecute Jerry Sandusky in 1998.
---
Gricar disappeared April 15, 2005, after taking a day off work to drive to Lewisburg. His disappearance has been the subject of a lot of speculation.

His laptop hard drive, which was found dumped in the Susquehanna River near where his car was parked in Lewisburg, was too badly damaged by water to be read.

What information on that computer was destroyed is left to conjecture.
---
much more at pennlive.com link above

Possible conspiracy angle being discussed at WS thread below:

PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #6

Concise Fox Sports column from the excellent Jason Whitlock:

Penn St. scandal should force Paterno out
---
Institutions are valued more than human beings.
---
Safeguarding JoePa, marketing and exploiting his march to victory 409, appears to have been more important than exposing allegations against longtime defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, charged with sexually abusing teenage boys.
---
There should be an asterisk next to JoePa’s 409 victories. And if not an asterisk, at least a dollar sign, America’s favorite religious symbol, our justification for valuing institutions more than human beings.
the rest at link above

Six Weeks Ago, Penn State Dedicated The Gary Schultz Child Care Center (Deadspin)
Addressing University Park's shortage of options for young children, Penn State opened an $11 million dollar child care facility over the summer. In early 2010 it was announced that the building would be named for the recently retired Gary Schultz. The same Schultz who is out on bail today, but was forced to surrender his passport.

Schultz was in charge of university police, and "never sought or reviewed a police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the shower in 2002." He testified under oath that Mike McQueary had informed him of the sexual nature of what he witnessed in the shower, but Schultz only described the incident to Penn State President Graham Spanier as "horsing around."
---

Police: Paterno didn't do enough (AP)
HARRISBURG, PA. (AP) Football coach Joe Paterno and other Penn State officials didn't do enough to try to stop suspected sexual abuse of children at the hands of a former assistant football coach, the state police commissioner said Monday.

Paterno may have fulfilled his legal requirement to report suspected abuse by former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, state police

Commissioner Frank Noonan said, ''but somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child.''

He added: ''I think you have the moral responsibility, anyone. Not whether you're a football coach or a university president or the guy sweeping the building. I think you have a moral responsibility to call us.''
---
much more at Fox Sports/AP link above

As stinky as this is I am sure glad to see the light of day cast over the situation. I listened to an interesting debate on my local radio today. They all cared much more about protecting JoPa than the children but the moderator did say that this must feel to Penn like the priest cover-up felt to the Catholic church.

Big fall from grace.

I just can't understand why no one tried to find out the identity of the 10-year old and just thought they were ok.
These poor children, were taken into a program to help them, and this is what happens?
And he even adopted one of them?
Sick, sick, sick!

Joe Paterno will be holding a press conference at 12:30 PM EST. He says he will only talk about the Nebraska game, but I don't know how well that will go. If you don't live in the local area, it will probably be on the Big 10 Network or the cable news channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆