LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high-profile of the location leads us down two roads:

1. Ditching the bike in haste. Which would lead me to believe Mickey wasn't left there.
2. Ditching the bike later. But why such a high-profile spot?

Again, if the bike floated due to inflated tires, the perp could have had a boat. BUT, first the perp would have to go home to get the boat, then leave Mickey and the bike there, and the bike happened to float and the perp didn't think of that. This actually fits the drunk driver scenario. A drunk driver is going to be scared and in a hurry, and easily at night could have tossed the bike overboard and assumed it would sink.

But if it was a specific abduction, I wouldn't think that right away he would want to just get rid of her. If so, then it's a lot of trouble to take a boat out on the Basin just to dump the bike. He could have picked so many other places to hide that bike better.

I keep circling back to the bike being dumped in haste, without Mickey, and searchers just missing it until now.

I'm still catching up on my reading - still on the 5th thread.

Regarding the finding of the bike, has anyone thought that maybe the bike was initially left behind and someone picked it up/stole it, and when they realized it was Mickey's maybe they didn't want to turn it in due to fear that LE would prosecute them for stealing it or perhaps think they were involved and therefore they dumped it there?

Interesting thought

I was thinking along those lines too. A Z71 is a 4 wheel drive truck, perfectly capable of making the drive up and down from under the bridge and would have certainly left tire tracts.

I have read every single post in all of the previous 5 threads! First time posting on this case, I usually stick to Texas cases, but this one caught my interest. I know there has been a lot of ideas thrown around about the make/ model of the truck, but I just want to share what I see.

Anyway, from the first released picture of the white truck (it was in front of the gas station I think), I noticed a few things. It looks to be an 04-06 model Chevy or Gmc. It looks like there is a chrome side step, there is chrome trim around the fender wells, the wheels look to be chrome (which lead me to think they are aftermarket wheels, since stock rims in chrome weren't as popular in 04-06 as they are now). The gas cap and handles look black but I'm thinking they are chrome, since everything else is. Another thing, which may have been my mind playing a trick on me since I was looking at the picture late last night, was the mirrors on the door. They looked small and chrome and the standard mirrors on this model truck were usually just the black plastic-y stuff.

All of this leads me to believe it is not a "work" truck. Someone has done a lot of customization on this truck which should help a little with finding it.

Ok, just seemed like a strange place to put a flier.

Why? I don't find it strange. I have been putting up so many flyers, but haven't gone that way since I started. Had I gone that way, I surely would have put some up in that area.

OK, got work to do. Everyone keep a lookout for that Cadillac! It will be easier to find than the truck, and the driver may have info!

Am I the only one that believes that BW is involved? I felt it from the beginning, and nothing to date has changed my mind.

I don't buy the Taco Bell story. It is halfway to her house. Why go all the way down there and return to BW's house? Why does he speak of her in past tense in his interviews. How ironic that his phone was dead that night.

Sorry, I don't buy his story!

Ok, just seemed like a strange place to put a flier.
From locals posting about the boat ramp, and upcoming holiday weekend (where normally there would be lots of boaters going there), it seems like a good place (to me). Any day, really...who knows when any given fisherperson ;) or boater may go there. JMO.

I prefer the irony (bike near poster) than the possibility that someone with bad intent posted it. But I'm jaded enough, as well.

I am wondering about the value of the bike. Anyone have an idea of its worth?

There are only so many hours that I can ponder the same few scenarios. So I started wondering if someone initially intended to steal the bike...and then something went wrong and they took Mickey. I really think the likelihood of this is 1%....but its something different to ponder.

I think the perp had a weapon, made Mickey load the bike and get in the vehicle. Of course, if you look at the area where we see the white truck and the car, a scream would be heard. We have not been told, but I'm sure every home around the Circle K area has been asked about that night.

I don't believe some random person stole the bike and left it where it was found. That location is simply too far. And if you did steal the bike, and then later find out its significance, why not go to police with it? I highly doubt you would be punished for picking up a bike left on the roadside....and who knows, you might be a hero in the story.

I would like to know if the bike was damaged. If it was, how would they determine if a car hit it or it was thrown from the overpass. Of course, chicken fried pointed out that the overpass had no curb area so tossing the bike over would have been difficult and foolish (too much chance of being seen from up there). I would like to know the details of how the bike was found....was it near the water, was it leaned against something or just flat on the ground, was it in the road or in the grass?

What we really need is a press conference....

In the beginning the media reported that the bike was a $2,000.00 bicycle.

One last thing... I'm going to do some PhotoShop work on the "Caddy." One thing that makes it difficult to identify is that if you looks carefully, there is a distorting, "fisheye" effect from the camera. The car's bent. Look at the building in back.

Am I the only one that believes that BW is involved? I felt it from the beginning, and nothing to date has changed my mind.

I don't buy the Taco Bell story. It is halfway to her house. Why go all the way down there and return to BW's house? Why does he speak of her in past tense in his interviews. How ironic that his phone was dead that night.

Taco bell story was verified by LE via videotape from the store.

Have you not really kept up with the case? For one thing, TB cam has BW in driver's seat, assumed Mickey in passenger seat, she passed over her debit card which was used to pay for her food. For another thing, TB is definitely NOT halfway to her house.

If he bike was damaged as though Mickey had been hit by a vehicle while riding it, I would think LE would put that out. People and car repair shops would be on the look out for a damaged vehicle, maybe white truck, who knows! Would love to know what is on camera to and from Whiskey Bay area.

And as far as someone finding the bike then ditching it later when they found out what its involved in....doubtful. for 25k that person wouldve come forward with it very quickly.

So, the person who left the bike where it was found, no doubt knew of the place's reputation/history? Is that the consensus? If so, it doesn't good at all to me...I can't see bothering to do that if you had done nothing worse than steal a bike abandoned in the road.

Good morning, ya'll. Some thoughts:

- I think we can infer from Mickey's mom's interview where she says she believes she was accidentally hit and the fact her mom & family has seen the bike that it's pretty safe to say her bike was hit by a car. Best case scenario, it was an accident and some still has her- he/she just needs to be convinced to drop her off somewhere. Worst case scenario - I've posted before - someone purposely bumped/hit her bike and took her and bike as an abduction for nefarious reasons. Neither are good situations, but I'd pray it's the first one if I was Mickey's mom and if it looked like the worst case scenario, I might put out in the media that I believed it was an accident to convince whoever took her to drop her off. Unfortunately, I believe the worst case scenario is more likely- intentional bump/hit and abduction of Mickey and her bike.

- The vehicles- If I drove a 4 door white pick up in Lafayette that night anywhere near that area, I would have rushed to the PD to clear my name and quell the looks that I (if I drove such a truck) and everyone in Lafayette must be giving to everyone who drives 4 door white trucks. Even more so with that car! It's so much more distinctive! If I drove it or even one like it I would be beating down the doors of the police dept to tell them what I saw and clear my name, since that car is so much more recognizable and anyone around them must be suspicious. If any of the vehicles have been deemed unimportat to the investiagtion, it seems to me like the PD would have said so - then drivers of similar vehicles wouldn't get the "side eye" from locals and they could slow tips coming in about these vehicles so that more relevant tips could more easily come in, since the tip line seems to be busy a lot. It seems to be not one of the drivers/owners of those vehicles has come forward on their own and that is very disturbing to me. Anyone else bothered by the fact that no one seems to have come forward that owns/drove these cars and that the PD hasn't said that any of them are unrelated yet?

I have read every single post in all of the previous 5 threads! First time posting on this case, I usually stick to Texas cases, but this one caught my interest. I know there has been a lot of ideas thrown around about the make/ model of the truck, but I just want to share what I see.

Anyway, from the first released picture of the white truck (it was in front of the gas station I think), I noticed a few things. It looks to be an 04-06 model Chevy or Gmc. It looks like there is a chrome side step, there is chrome trim around the fender wells, the wheels look to be chrome (which lead me to think they are aftermarket wheels, since stock rims in chrome weren't as popular in 04-06 as they are now). The gas cap and handles look black but I'm thinking they are chrome, since everything else is. Another thing, which may have been my mind playing a trick on me since I was looking at the picture late last night, was the mirrors on the door. They looked small and chrome and the standard mirrors on this model truck were usually just the black plastic-y stuff.

All of this leads me to believe it is not a "work" truck. Someone has done a lot of customization on this truck which should help a little with finding it.

:welcome: JessicaW Good points!

I don't understand why Whiskey Bay isn't more secure given it's past. Why does the government of Louisiana allow it to be a dumping ground? Why not put a security guard there to make sure fishermen aren't going there to dump bodies out of their boats? For some reason I imagine it as this swampy landfill of sorts...you go fishing there and you reel in someone's 1980's toaster oven?

-----

I think someone she knew gave her a ride. This would explain why no scream or noises were heard by neighbors in the area (at least none have been reported yet). If it was an accident I'm sure the people in the area would of heard something unless their all criminals in the area, and don't want to come forward because they hate cops. When it's that late, and everything is whisper quiet, you could hear things a block or more away in most cases. Also do Louisiana folk often leave their windows open at night this time of year? or is too hot/humid?

Granted.. we haven't seen all the security footage but I don't believe some stranger randomly abducted her. "Those close to Shunick say she always carried a can of mace in her front pocket." I read in some news report...
So she must of had her guard down I imagine, but why?

This theory may have been posted before, but I haven't seen it... If the person who abducted Mickey had specifically targeted her then he would have known all about her & her surroundings. Maybe he approached her asking for directions to an address near her home - maybe a neighbor she knows. She might comment that it is near her home! He might drop names she knows & say he's out of town family, just getting in & anxious to get to his destination but he's not sure if he's on the right route. Maybe he offers her a ride since they're heading to the same area. Lured into a false sense of security she voluntarily puts her bike in the truck & doesn't realize anything suspicious is going on until she's already in the truck!! This could explain the quick pick up of Mickey & her bike without any foul play being seen. Jmo

GLP's been discussed here and though I've never visited, I'll admit to visiting psychiccrimefighter.com. It's a little embarrassing.

Grasping at straws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member