TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a comment from a WS member, December, who is related to Kathy. She hasn't been here in a while. IIRC sexual assault was confirmed but its uncertain what evidence is still available, if any, for DNA testing. December was hoping to meet with Nashville PD, but had not been able to see any files on the case.

Nashville LE believes the perp is in prison, they have an idea who he is. The family had their own idea of a suspect as well, a man they knew but with whom they were not on friendly terms. One of the suspects lived fairly close to the crime scene.

Thanks Betty

Without any crime scene photos to work with I have to base my opinion just on what we do have here.

I don't think this was a planned, abduction, I think it was an opportunistic grab.

The offender wasn't really prepared for the abduction, hence why he had to use her own clothing to bind, and gag her.

Unfortunately this beautiful girl seems to have fallen victim, to the offenders perception, of injustice (real or imagined) against him... Namely Anger

I feel there was most likely a precipitating event that "set him off"

Though the offender inflicted a lot of pain upon her, the forced anal and vaginal rape, the marks on her buttocks, the callous indifference, it seems more indicative of anger (rage) than sadism, whereas id expect to see more torture style injuries, over a longer period of time.

Possibly with a slower more enduring style of killing the victim, commonly seen is sadistic killings, ex .. (repeated strangulation/release etc..)

In terms of physical violence visited upon the victim, the stabbing of the victim, tells volumes, this would be a different analysis if it were post mortem mutilation, however I feel the post mortem stabbing of the victim, which is evident by lack of blood flow to those injuries, demonstrates, that pretty, well.. he wasn't done with her, he felt the need, to take more out on her body, even though she was most likely deceased.

Another factor to consider, is that this individual might not have known she was deceased, when he decided to stab, her, furthering the notion, that this was a first time murder.

I don't think you'll find similar crimes in his background, for example, he didn't seem to know how to control a child though id certainly expect to see some prison time, for other crimes like assault, threats, theft, things along that line.

A history of a prison sentence, can also sometimes, evident by anal rape

I wouldn't however rule out further attacks, after this one, though not immediately .

Hell most likely be blue collar, lives or works, near where she was abducted, is at least familiar with where she was dumped.

If he has any military background id expect to see a dishonorable discharge, for behavioral issues, like, insubordination

I ll go one further, and say that there was most likely someone who knows, or at least strongly suspects, he was involved.

I think he would've been interviewed by police, and would've shown a lot of post offensive behavior.. increased use of alcohol or drugs , changing of appearance, unusual interest in the case, and possibly a sudden unexplained move to another area. He may even have confided, in someone about it,

Given this is all speculative, given that we were going off news reports.

I've been away from WS and there's so much to catch up on. I read in a list of facts posted on the previous page that LE didn't confirm if any money had been found on Kathy. I think this could be helpful to know. If no money was found it could mean that the perp had taken it or it was lost but it could also mean that she made it to the rink. If money was found then I'd take that as a strong indication that she never got to the rink.

Where is December? I'm starting to be worried about her, so many months without a reply to this thread. Does anyone know her outside WS who knows if she's ok?

Here's a comment from a WS member, December, who is related to Kathy. She hasn't been here in a while. IIRC sexual assault was confirmed but its uncertain what evidence is still available, if any, for DNA testing. December was hoping to meet with Nashville PD, but had not been able to see any files on the case.
When detectives were interviewed in 2009, they were optimistic about obtaining a profile of the perp's DNA. Today, a profile can be created from a very small amount of DNA material as compared to the past. Then it's a question of matching it to a known profile.
[snipped]
"We'd actually looked at the evidence in the Kathy Jones case during some of the preliminary DNA testing, but with the advances that we have today, certainly that's a possibility," said Miller.

[snipped]
"As long as we have advancing technology as we do we're going to attempt to go forward with these cases.

[snipped]
Investigators said the Kathy Jones case seems to be most promising when it came to getting the DNA profile of the killer.
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294

Nashville LE believes the perp is in prison, they have an idea who he is. The family had their own idea of a suspect as well, a man they knew but with whom they were not on friendly terms. One of the suspects lived fairly close to the crime scene.
The first suspect was Adcox, the bus driver who's now deceased. He was actually arrested, but there wasn't enough evidence to build a case, so he was released. He remained a suspect at least as late as 2009.

In 1998, Det. Miller stated he didn't think the bus driver was responsible. He was certain another man was the killer. I've always wondered how that panned out, and whether the unnamed person is a suspect today.

[snipped]
Miller said Adcox admitted to a lot of things he had done over the years, but the Jones killing wasn’t one of them. In addition, Miller says he and other detectives began developing some information on another subject.
“Myself and Detective Postiglione started going through the files and looking into the evidence and actually ran some polygraphs.”

[snipped]
The evidence they uncovered, Miller believes, is solid. So solid, in fact, that it led to the killer. Miller cannot say what that evidence is. “At this point in time, we feel certain we know who killed her.... This man is living in Nashville and works every day.”

[snipped]
“We haven’t completely given up on the case.” Miller says. “We’re hoping someone will come forward with a little information that will help us bring him to justice.”

[snipped]
“There is at least one person who we have tried to get to talk to us who could possibly provide us with enough information to get this guy, but I’m not sure they’re ever going to feel comfortable in doing that.”
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

Eight years after the murder police charged a man with Jones' killing, but dropped the charges later. Police said he was still a suspect.
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294
"Kathy Jones was reported missing on Nov. 29, and her body was found Dec. 2, 1969," Postiglione said.

Twelve-year-old Kathy headed off for the roller rink but never made it there. "She was found in the alley on Grandview Avenue in a vacant lot with her roller skates still with her," Postiglione said.

Officers found the girl bound, gagged and sexually assaulted.
Police later arrested Edward Adcox, a convicted rapist, who they said bragged to other inmates about killing her, but the case fell apart when he changed his story.

"I was not guilty on the murder. I've never killed anybody in my life. I just can't stand the sight of blood, myself," Adcox said in a Channel 4 News interview at the time.
http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

Given this is all speculative, given that we were going off news reports.
<rsbm>

While "news reports" aren't the same as official police and medical examiner reports, a good deal of effort has gone into separating the wheat from the chaff. If you read all of the articles, you'll see that the sources include direct quotes from LE, direct quotes from Kathy's mother, an account by a reporter who arrived at the scene very early, and a reporter who gave a detailed description of what he viewed in the crime scene photos. Not to mention, we had input from a relative who spoke to detective late last year.

JMO

<rsbm>

While "news reports" aren't the same as official police and medical examiner reports, a good deal of effort has gone into separating the wheat from the chaff. If you read all of the articles, you'll see that the sources include direct quotes from LE, direct quotes from Kathy's mother, an account by a reporter who arrived at the scene very early, and a reporter who gave a detailed description of what he viewed in the crime scene photos. Not to mention, we had input from a relative who spoke to detective late last year.

JMO

I'm not saying it hasn't what I mean is that I can only base my analysis, on what's printed, unlike where we have access to the crime scene photos etc...

Which are usually a basic requirement for an investigative analysis

it wasn't meant as a knock on what's listed here

I'm not saying it hasn't what I mean is that I can only base my analysis, on what's printed, unlike where we have access to the crime scene photos etc...

Which are usually a basic requirement for an investigative analysis

it wasn't meant as a knock on what's listed here
I get it. Thanks for the response.

And by the way, in case everyone hasn't noticed, RichKelly is now verified LE. :thumb:

And by the way, in case everyone hasn't noticed, RichKelly is now verified LE. :thumb:

No Prob Bess, were all working for the same cause,

Been taking a little break and just catching back up on Kathy's thread. So happy to have verified LE join the discussion and offer thoughts. Welcome RichKelly and thank you for your expertise. We have such amazing people on this site.

Praying today for justice for Kathy. Thinking that this case should be featured on one of the many ID channel shows. Maybe if Kathy's story is shared to a national audience that one person who has always had a gut feeling that they know who did this will come forward. :please:

Been taking a little break and just catching back up on Kathy's thread. So happy to have verified LE join the discussion and offer thoughts. Welcome RichKelly and thank you for your expertise. We have such amazing people on this site.

Praying today for justice for Kathy. Thinking that this case should be featured on one of the many ID channel shows. Maybe if Kathy's story is shared to a national audience that one person who has always had a gut feeling that they know who did this will come forward. :please:

Very welcome

OH Im willing to bet there's more than someone with just a "gut feeling" I'm willing to bet the police, have interviewed him already.

That he was a good suspect, but there was something that prevented them from linking it .

I'm pretty sure he's been in prison before, most likely for something violent , and those close to him would've most likely had their suspicions , and id bet they were pretty strong ones too. He may've actually confided in someone

He lives or works near where she was abducted.

there was most likely something that pissed him off prior to the homicide, loss of job, problems at home etc...

He'd be following it almost like an unusual interest in this case, would appear anxious and "not himself" to those close to him immediately following the crime, would've had unexplained blood on his person, and may've gotten rid of the clothes he was wearing the night Kathy was killed .. He may drink more or use drugs more if he was as user.

I wouldn't rule out further, violent actions by this individual

Glad to hear this news! I had a feeling that was the case. It was obvious when I first read his post in Bill Comeans case. Im especially glad he's commenting here in the Cold Case files where there are so many mysteries and so little information to work with.

Welcome RichKelly!

Thanks Betty, im former LE, actually but more than happy to contribute, if it helps

Welcome to this thread RichKelly!!

I am still wondering about the second suspect that the detective seemed confident was the killer, the possibility of new DNA tests, and this Darryl that the family mentions.

Welcome to this thread RichKelly!!

I am still wondering about the second suspect that the detective seemed confident was the killer, the possibility of new DNA tests, and this Darryl that the family mentions.

Thanks Mrs T..=.;)

I didn't see the suspect list, I usually would rather not know a suspect, prior to investigation, because even seasoned investigators will start to adhere that suspect to what we do know ... its better off to start with the evidence and let it point you in the right direction.

I believe it as most likely a stranger homicide, by an individual who had something happen to trigger his rage, she was there, and he was going to use her to take out his frustration.

Just finished reading the entire thread... phew! Such a horrific murder of an innocent child. I do hope December is ok and just taking a break from WS. It must be terribly difficult to deal with emotionally.

Sorry I can't add anything helpful to the thread but I just wanted to say that I have been reading and that I will do anything that I can to help.

I saw on the news today that Tennessee is bringing back the electric chair but it's probably to late for this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa