Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 6 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Venus is alive, I think she is (or at least was since her disappearance) in Virginia.

I asked before but does anyone recall a back-story on why Venus and Doug chose Virginia? Maybe it was her choice of a destination to move to--does she have any connection to that part of country apart from Doug?

Bad reporting? Mail doesn't deliver that early, and I don't see them leaving mail to sit 2-3 days in the box.

Wouldn't LE be able to find out when the mail was delivered on that date?
I agree mail delivered that early is unlikely.... though I think it is possible some mail may be delivered as early as 8-8:30am depending on the route.
It just seems to me LE should have been able to already determine what time the mail was delivered to the residence.

I wonder if the mail trucks have GPS?

That was a bit disturbing to hear.

JMO here. I think DS's attorney had him do so on the chance that if Venus is in hiding somewhere, this would flush her out. And to show the court he is still holding up his end of parental responsibilities to his children, regardless (same reason he still at least attempts to speak to them, as the court apparently ordered). I don't think they expect he'd win custody right now. If he's cleared, then probably so.

But remember, Craig Stebic has custody of his children and he is still the primary POI in Lisa's disappearance.

I think with time, if LE doesn't find -enough- proof of a crime commited by DS he will regain primary custody of the children. Legally as the 'surviving/remaining' parent his rights trump those of any grandparents.

JMO

But remember, Craig Stebic has custody of his children and he is still the primary POI in Lisa's disappearance.

I think with time, if LE doesn't find -enough- proof of a crime commited by DS he will regain primary custody of the children. Legally as the 'surviving/remaining' parent his rights trump those of any grandparents.

JMO

I think his lawyer told him to make sure he continued to (attempt to) make contact, payments, whatever to his girls, to hold up his end as a father while all this is going down. Not saying he wouldn't want to in the first place, but if I were in his shoes I don't think I'd know what to do, especially considering the grandparents have the children and clearly hate him with every fiber of their beings.

If Venus is alive, I think she is (or at least was since her disappearance) in Virginia.

I asked before but does anyone recall a back-story on why Venus and Doug chose Virginia? Maybe it was her choice of a destination to move to--does she have any connection to that part of country apart from Doug?

IIRC, the mother said they moved down there for his job.

I think his lawyer told him to make sure he continued to (attempt to) make contact, payments, whatever to his girls, to hold up his end as a father while all this is going down. Not saying he wouldn't want to in the first place, but if I were in his shoes I don't think I'd know what to do, especially considering the grandparents have the children and clearly hate him with every fiber of their beings.

Regardless of how much they hate DS, if the grandparents do not cooperate they can be charged with visitation or custodial interference.
I doubt they want to do that and give DS any sort of upperhand. Because without any criminal charges against DS that is how the courts will view their actions - if they don't adhere to whatever the current custody order states.

Technically, their badmouthing DS to the press, the courts could interpret such behavior as an attempt at influencing the childrens thoughts and feelings regarding their father. MANY court orders include no badmouthing of the other parent to the kids; especially if that has been an issue in the past.

Of course we don't know the specifics of the custody order for VS and DS. The above is generally speaking in respect to my knowledge as a never married SP.

JMO

I don't know, this case seems to be getting stranger and stranger as time goes by.

I am afraid Venus' parents are not getting very good advice, as far as possible consequences down the road with the grandchildren, if Doug is not charged and Venus is not found..

I do think he will be charged...but you never know what will happen and even OJ got his kids back until they were old enough to make up their own minds...

I am afraid Venus' parents are not getting very good advice, as far as possible consequences down the road with the grandchildren, if Doug is not charged and Venus is not found..

I do think he will be charged...but you never know what will happen and even OJ got his kids back until they were old enough to make up their own minds...

I agree to an extent. This is speculation, but a persons actions don't necessarily reflect the advise they are given. Some of that has to be attributed to ones own self discipline. Years and years ago (20 or so) I met a couple who lost two children, a teen and preteen to murder as a result of domestic violence by the older teens boyfriend. I asked the father how he maintained his composure during the trial. How as a father he didn't want to just rip the guy to shreds. He told me he was advised any public outbursts on his part (or those there for the victims) would be beneficial to the defendent. Unfortunately the same most likely holds true here in this case- or any case for that matter. That said, I could only imagine it takes a tremendous amount of effort and self discipline to keep such anger and emotions private. Unless directed to by LE it is best, imo, to keep such private. Especially if and when it benefits a defendent or possible defendent.

ETA: I think this is a reason why it is best to have a family spokesperson. Especially with the media up in one's face during such an emotional time. IMO, if the immediate family is having a hard time keeping the emotions out of the public eye - and I blame the media for pressing the family for such - it is best to find a spokesperson. I wish Venus's father would choose to do such.

I feel for him, I really do....

JMO

Doug goes to court asking for custody of his kids and Venus resurfaces? I can see it happening.

Popping a spouse in the nose is ok if the spouse "had it coming"? Really?

So Dad supports a little DV as long as it's against the husband?

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/progress_made_in_venus_stewart.html

Risko said the FBI continues to have an “off-and-on” role in the Stewart investigation. He said federal authorities initially became involved when the investigation turned to Douglas Stewart’s vehicles that were located in Virginia.

If the FBI is involved, then I'm even less convinced about this whole case. If that's even possible.

So Dad supports a little DV as long as it's against the husband?

While that is how it appears based on his statement, I think it is his anger and emotions coming out. :( I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say if not for being in such an emotional situation he would not condone DV against either gender.

We need to keep in mind his responses are emotionally based over the very real fears his daughter may be deceased or is in grave danger being held against her will.

I wish the media would have some integrity and not print things that expose the vulnerability of such raw emotion in distressful times such as this. :furious:

JMO

I continue to find the Dad's outbursts and interviews understandable, if troubling. Let me state first that I do not advocate abuse or violence between anyone-and as adults we know that physical fighting rarely solves any problem.

But, O/T slightly, I recently had several conversations with children regarding bullying. And to a person, the adults I queried recommended that the child being bullied "pop" the bully just once. Because it was likely that the bully would never bother them again. I am talking about adults whose educations and backgrounds diverged from blue collar to PhD's.

I think that is worth thinking about here when we are talking about attitudes-not how we SHOULD feel, but how we really do feel. Dad appears to be stating how he really feels. On the surface we have a woman far outweighed-Venus is not a big woman. DS is bigger and clearly stronger. This is not a situation between partners that were well matched in size and strength.

Again, I am not at all advocating violence. Between anyone. Dad is presenting the case that his daughter was defending herself. Venus pled no contest which is not an admission of guilt-just an admission that there was enough evidence to convict her of DV.

I think Dad should be quiet now unless he is leaking stuff for LE.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/05/progress_made_in_venus_stewart.html

Risko said the FBI continues to have an “off-and-on” role in the Stewart investigation. He said federal authorities initially became involved when the investigation turned to Douglas Stewart’s vehicles that were located in Virginia.

If the FBI is involved, then I'm even less convinced about this whole case. If that's even possible.

this is a MP investigation that spans two states. There is no question that they would be invited in by local LE. SOP, nothing sexy about it. JMO.

Family members believe Venus Stewart was abducted between 7:10 and 8:30 a.m. on April 26 as she went to retrieve mail in front of the house, clad in pajamas.

Before this all the stories said LE believed this, now this story says family members believe it. Is LE backing away from their original theory? IS THIS BAD REPORTING?

We don't know and won't know until we hear from LE.

I wonder if Venus's parents have filed for guardianship of Venus's girls.

Bad reporting? Mail doesn't deliver that early, and I don't see them leaving mail to sit 2-3 days in the box.

I vote for bad reporting, since it's not a direct quote from LE saying 'retrieve', but a reporter.

I also vote for bad reporting - actually irresponsible journalism - on DS purchasing the items from Walmart. This one is particularly bad, since, as we see over and over right here in this forum, people take what a reporter says as fact of which the reporter has first-hand knowledge, rather than what it is - a retelling of information, which, reporters being human beings, and some better in various ways than others, gets lost in translation.

It could be that LE told the first reporter that new info has come out that Venus was retrieving mail, rather than that it is thought she was depositing mail, and it could be that LE told the second reporter that they now have evidence that it was indeed DS who purchased the Walmart items, but (forgive the run-on sentence I'm on a roll with here :) ) I would think in either of those instances, the reporters would have used different wording, particularly the latter, since that would be a *BOMBSHELL!*

I congratulate anyone who made it through my run-ons. :)

I don't think they have said he is responsible...but they named him a POI and are investigating him. With good reason...like I said before, they found stuff in his truck and car. Why would he NOT be a POI?

LE named DS a POI - the one and only POI - and continue to reaffirm that is their thinking, despite all investigative measures they have taken.

Or... MSP chatted for a few minutes on April 26 with Venus' parents, huddled and said "Okay, instead of checking out anything they say, collecting evidence, interviewing others, and conducting an ongoing investigation, let's just go with what her parents say, and spend the next few weeks at the donut shop." "Yeah! High five, buddy!"

LE named DS a POI - the one and only POI - and continue to reaffirm that is their thinking, despite all investigative measures they have taken.

Or... MSP chatted for a few minutes on April 26 with Venus' parents, huddled and said "Okay, instead of checking out anything they say, collecting evidence, interviewing others, and conducting an ongoing investigation, let's just go with what her parents say, and spend the next few weeks at the donut shop." "Yeah! High five, buddy!"

Ok, now that was funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member