Roman Polanski seeks dismissal of charges

believe09

Reaction score
This fascinates me-the man pled guilty 30 years ago and then took off after 42 days served-NOW he would like to have the charges dismissed because the prosecutors and the courthouse had "inappropriate" communications regarding the case????

In this article the victim is interviewed-she does not believe he deserves to be put away for life or that he is a danger to society.

But no where does she state she thinks he deserves a walk...he gave drugs to a 13 year old girl and then had sex with her. Case closed. JMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081203/en_nm/us_polanski;_ylt=AoJpbbpy8I5uxaVvB9czbtxvzwcF

I recently saw the documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" and it is astonishing--a must see. It's all about the INSANE judicial misconduct involved in this case.

Polanski actually did some jail time (months, I believe, under a year) and everyone except the judge--all the attorneys and the victim and her family--had agreed on a sentence for him that he was ready to serve. But the judge was obsessed with his own publicity and kept the case alive--for years. He even had a scrapbook for his news clippings!!!

The European press had revealed the victim's name, so it was known in America. She was in high school... The other kids reacted to the publicity, made her life very hard. Ultimately, this judge did incredible damage to the victim by being a press *advertiser censored*. She speaks in the documentary and it's fascinating. What emerges is a story about a judge who made justice impossible. And justice--I believe--has to take into account the victim's desire that sentencing be swift. Also this judge was talking about a 50 year sentence at the time Polanski fled. And I think 50 years for this is crazy.

Also... and you may disagree with me... I think we need to have some mercy for Polanski as well. What this man has endured is unfathomable to me. As a child, he watched both his parents die in the camps (Holocaust). He made a good life for himself against incredible odds and then his wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered--horribly--by the Manson clan when she was 8 and a half months pregnant. There is no excuse for what Polanski did... but I do look at his life and think... I would have been driven insane by so much violent loss.

That's my 50 cents!

I recently saw the documentary "Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired" and it is astonishing--a must see. It's all about the INSANE judicial misconduct involved in this case.

Polanski actually did some jail time (months, I believe, under a year) and everyone except the judge--all the attorneys and the victim and her family--had agreed on a sentence for him that he was ready to serve. But the judge was obsessed with his own publicity and kept the case alive--for years. He even had a scrapbook for his news clippings!!!

The European press had revealed the victim's name, so it was known in America. She was in high school... The other kids reacted to the publicity, made her life very hard. Ultimately, this judge did incredible damage to the victim by being a press *advertiser censored*. She speaks in the documentary and it's fascinating. What emerges is a story about a judge who made justice impossible. And justice--I believe--has to take into account the victim's desire that sentencing be swift. Also this judge was talking about a 50 year sentence at the time Polanski fled. And I think 50 years for this is crazy.

Also... and you may disagree with me... I think we need to have some mercy for Polanski as well. What this man has endured is unfathomable to me. As a child, he watched both his parents die in the camps (Holocaust). He made a good life for himself against incredible odds and then his wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered--horribly--by the Manson clan when she was 8 and a half months pregnant. There is no excuse for what Polanski did... but I do look at his life and think... I would have been driven insane by so much violent loss.

That's my 50 cents
!

I do see your point, but whilst I feel entirely sorry for him losing his parents like that and then his wife and child horrificly like he did there is no excuse for raping a 13 year girl after drugging her.

It seems I am not the only person with a similar opinio, after googling his name this is one link where someone also wrote the same thing
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/12/polanskis-life.html

I agree with the comment that someone wrote , he was a idiot as he had 45 days to serve but decided to flee

He is now 75, personally he either needs to do the 45 days in a USA Jail Or stay where he is

You dont get to just get away with something because YOU suffered horrible things.

Isnt that what abused children who are now adults abusing other children use as their defence ?

When it should be THE ABUSE STOPS WITH ME

People know how AWFUL it felt to have things done to them so why inflict that horror on others.

So in a parallel I am saying just because Polanski suffered doesn't mean he should be allowed to get away with molesting a child and drugging a child

I did not know that this all happened in Jack Nicholson's house.

Oh yeah, B. Nicholson hung out with some bad news people. He was with Angelica Houston for a long time and her father was one freak of a dude.

I'm trying to be a less judgemental person in 2009, and yes as Gigi mentioned the guy saw some horror in his life most can't fathom. This allows you to rape a child? Give drugs to a child? I don't give a flying whoop about his excuses of turmoil in this life. There's reasons and there's excuses and he got the big kahunnas not to just shut the he** up. Wouldn't you just shut up? Stay where you are?

Oh yeah, B. Nicholson hung out with some bad news people. He was with Angelica Houston for a long time and her father was one freak of a dude.

I'm trying to be a less judgemental person in 2009, and yes as Gigi mentioned the guy saw some horror in his life most can't fathom. This allows you to rape a child? Give drugs to a child? I don't give a flying whoop about his excuses of turmoil in this life. There's reasons and there's excuses and he got the big kahunnas not to just shut the he** up. Wouldn't you just shut up? Stay where you are?

Exactly what I said. He's an idiot ! He should just stay where he is.
And when he is dead he should be allowed back to be buried with Sharon and his baby (if thats where the are ?)

At the risk of sounding trite...my take on it is...

If you do the crime, you do the time.

He needs to pay the piper.

If you watch the documentary the reason he fled was because of the outrageous conduct that was going on in the case and the judge that was a complete media *advertiser censored*.

It is reported that he only had to do 90 days in mental hospital and fled at 45, but at the end of that 90 eval while the agreement among all parties was that he would be released the judge was planning to send him to prison. If you see the documentary the victim, the prosecutor and the defense all discuss how out of control the situation was and how much it was being manipulated.

My personal opinion is that he did not get a fair trial and has paid quite the price for his actions that night. And I felt very differently before the doc. All parties saying the same thing, including the prosecutor who filed a complaint against the judge, was very impactful. If his victim felt differently about the situation I might as well, but even she said the conduct of the judge was damaging to her and unfair to him.

The short headline is that he raped a girl and got 90 days, fled and now wants charges dropped, what an Ahole. The other story is long, convulted, and full of legalese and judicial misconduct explained by players no one cares about and can't be explained in a 40 second sound bite. moo

If you watch the documentary the reason he fled was because of the outrageous conduct that was going on in the case and the judge that was a complete media *advertiser censored*.

It is reported that he only had to do 90 days in mental hospital and fled at 45, but at the end of that 90 eval while the agreement among all parties was that he would be released the judge was planning to send him to prison. If you see the documentary the victim, the prosecutor and the defense all discuss how out of control the situation was and how much it was being manipulated.

My personal opinion is that he did not get a fair trial and has paid quite the price for his actions that night. And I felt very differently before the doc. All parties saying the same thing, including the prosecutor who filed a complaint against the judge, was very impactful. If his victim felt differently about the situation I might as well, but even she said the conduct of the judge was damaging to her and unfair to him.

The short headline is that he raped a girl and got 90 days, fled and now wants charges dropped, what an Ahole. The other story is long, convulted, and full of legalese and judicial misconduct explained by players no one cares about and can't be explained in a 40 second sound bite. moo

If the judge was a media *advertiser censored*, the woman wants charges dropped, the prosecutor filed a complaint against the judge, and he may not have gotten a fair trail, what are the chances he will be convicted? IMO very small.

If the judge was a media *advertiser censored*, the woman wants charges dropped, the prosecutor filed a complaint against the judge, and he may not have gotten a fair trail, what are the chances he will be convicted? IMO very small.

Then I think this should play out. JMO. Rape, sodomy, drugs, 13 year old girl....tough for me to get past. He has never once said he did not do it.

What swayed me was the Prosecuter & the victim.Polanski's fame or rough life do not.The fact the victim wanted it dropped and the Pros filing a complaint against the Judge is what changed my opinion that He didnt get a fair deal.He shouldnt have run however I cant put myself in his place........Netflix has "Roman Polanski:Wanted & Desired"available to watch instantly-its fascinating!!

He plead guilty. In other words, he has already been convicted.

I was glad to hear this news...he is not exempt just because he is Roman Polanski. He fled this country and needs to own up to the charges.

This is already a topic with multiple replies under Crimes in the News. Moderator please merge the topics.

He plead guilty. In other words, he has already been convicted.

You can bet his attorneys are going to revisit the first trial. Note the story below where the current judge says there were problems with his trial and the door is open to reconsider the ruling. Polanski will walk. He's already financially settled with the victim. IMO this is a waste of taxpayer's money.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/27/zurich.roman.polanski.arrested/index.html

"Polanski's lawyers tried earlier this year to have the charges thrown out, but a Los Angeles judge rejected the request. In doing so, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza left the door open to reconsider his ruling if Polanski shows up in court. Espinoza also appeared to acknowledge problems with the way the 76-year-old director's case was handled years ago. According to court documents, Polanski, his lawyer and the prosecutor thought they'd worked out a deal that would spare Polanski from prison and let the young victim avoid a public trial. But the original judge in the case, who is now dead, first sent the director to maximum-security prison for 42 days while he underwent psychological testing. Then, on the eve of his sentencing, the judge told attorneys he was inclined to send Polanski back to prison for another 48 days. Polanski fled the United States for France, where he was born."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back