GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the DT knew about the "fake" post. Wasn't Buford the only lawyer representing McD at the time? There would have been no reason for his office to monitor the Osite after McD was in jail and the DA hasn't handed over evidence yet.

Even though I have a vague recollection of reading it, I am still working under the presumption that the post was made before he was in jail. I'm not sure how that could be, but one thing I've considered is that he posted it and then he (or an admin) deleted it before the site came under scrutiny, only to have someone else who remembered or screen capped it repeat it while he was in jail, and then it was deleted again. Maybe I read someone's recap.

Correct. The link is rebuttable, possibly very easily. I am no techie, but if the servers are gone, it may not be so easy.

I feel like I should keep adding that I am assuming this post was not made while McD was in jail. That would change things for me, since the dates of the posts are right there in plain view.

I agree. If the post was made from Mcd"s computer, it's possible IT could find it in his history. If it's not on his computer and the server is gone, the DT could rebut the date with the posters who say they were online when it was made.

Even though I have a vague recollection of reading it, I am still working under the presumption that the post was made before he was in jail. I'm not sure how that could be, but one thing I've considered is that he posted it and then he (or an admin) deleted it before the site came under scrutiny, only to have someone else who remembered or screen capped it repeat it while he was in jail, and then it was deleted again. Maybe I read someone's recap.

I remember a post about a "v card" not the rest of it. Weird.

I'm concerned about the State's case, but maybe I'm just paranoid because we had Nifong and the NC Lab scandal here.

So is "virgins" some kind of generic insult these days? Just wondering why they'd direct that term toward WS posters.

After reading the meme site about "you mad", I started thinking "you mad, virgins" was directed toward all the virgins (in the traditional sense) on the site who had just been one-upped by the loss of the v-card.

It was a joke post, the whole thing was a parody of the press stories regarding McDaniel. The "you mad virgins" was also a parody.

I remember a post about a "v card" not the rest of it. Weird.

I'm concerned about the State's case, but maybe I'm just paranoid because we had Nifong and the NC Lab scandal here.

I feel as though I remember the barbecue part, or at least discussion about it.

Is it possible that SMcD’s plan, developed in undergrad or law school, was ultimately to commit some unspeakably horrific murder, to gain fame/notoriety, to serve as the basis for book/movie/TV series - billed as fiction?
Or if acquitted, ‘inspired by a true story’ or even printed as non-fiction?

Who is/was the ‘real’ SMcD ---
---Polite, churchgoing youth & obedient son?
---Nerdy high school student, wearing chain mail shirt to class, ridiculed by peers?
---Business student w. memorable get-acquainted line about using chloroform?
---Studious law student aspiring to US SupCt? W. char.ref's/job rec’s from law school profs?
---SoL posting on other website, his unusual thoughts/fantasies, and some realities from his life, past & then-current.

The many faces of SMcD?

Below is from Macon Journal aug. 28, 2011 article w. background from high school classmate of SMcD
…Bentley doesn’t remember him having a girlfriend, but in his senior year at Parkview, McDaniel was runner-up in the voting for “Most Likely to be Famous.” She said it was probably because his peers figured McDaniel, who often toted at school a briefcase with a fantasy-novel manuscript he wrote inside it, would someday be an acclaimed author.
Bentley said, “We always used to compare him to Stephen King.”
[URL="http://www.macon.com/2011/08/28/1680624/a-light-from-the-shadows.html#ixzz1WIGvpL9k"]http://www.macon.com/2011/08/28/1680624/a-light-from-the-shadows.html#ixzz1WIGvpL9k[/URL]

I feel as though I remember the barbecue part, or at least discussion about it.

The discussion may have been a post involving some vague reference to cannibalism, and a post by SoL inferring Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease is a concern.

That likely inspired the sarcastic "barbequed but no organ meat" troll post.

It was a joke post, the whole thing was a parody of the press stories regarding McDaniel. The "you mad virgins" was also a parody.

I meant within the parody. Trying to understand who the poster was baiting. Some people here think that phrase was directed at WS. I thought it was a more general trolling.

I meant within the parody. Trying to understand who the poster was baiting. Some people here think that phrase was directed at WS. I thought it was a more general trolling.

The poster wasn't baiting anyone.

The post is sarcasm regarding the stories in the press. They spent 120 seconds on a post mocking the situation and joining in the thread with a bit of humor.

Sometimes a cigar is just....a cigar. Other times it is divine intervention.

Another thing that has me :waitasec: is Winters specifically saying "quote, unquote" before "something could have jumped on me". Does he not remember the detective's testimony about that statement?

This one doesn't bother me as much as it seems to some folks.

Patterson, in his testimony (as I remember), didn't use anything that sounded like an attempt to quote verbatim. From what he DID say, it seemed that SM's worries about the dog search centered around having been in Lauren's apartment (no mention of the parking lot).

Winters uses his fingers to make "quotes" around the words "something might have jumped on me", then finishes up "in the parking lot" or whatever.

I can see how both of these versions could be true. Somthing along the lines of:

LE: So you don't mind, then, if we take the dogs in your apartment, do you?

SM: No. Well -- no, I don't mind, go ahead... . But you know, I was all in her apartment while all of us were searching for her, so if something happened in there... . Well, I might have picked something up, any of us could've.

LE: So you think maybe something happened to Lauren in her apartment, then?

SM: Well, I don't know. Somewhere -- . If it was in the parking lot -- well, we walked all around there, looking for her. Something could have jumped on me there, too.

ETA:The new emphasis, though, did make me wonder if maybe they are now thinking something DID happen to Lauren in the parking lot. Or perhaps more likely, with this comment, they are trying to link SM to the parking lot area where the trash bin was -- since it probably was not known to those being interviewed exactly where the body was found. (Remember how long it took us to be sure that it was found IN the bin?)

So is "virgins" some kind of generic insult these days? Just wondering why they'd direct that term toward WS posters.

After reading the meme site about "you mad", I started thinking "you mad, virgins" was directed toward all the virgins (in the traditional sense) on the site who had just been one-upped by the loss of the v-card.

My thinking was that the whole post, in its crudeness and offensiveness, was the punch at WS activity. The "you mad, virgins?" component maybe was, like you say, meant mainly in context of the post -- kinda as though SoL (I think a fake one) was saying, OK, all you virgins out there, can you top this as a way to lose your "v-card"? And yet still, as a part of the entire post, a jab at WS and other "snoopers".

The poster wasn't baiting anyone.

The post is sarcasm regarding the stories in the press. They spent 120 seconds on a post mocking the situation and joining in the thread with a bit of humor.

Sometimes a cigar is just....a cigar. Other times it is divine intervention.

Ok.. we'll just leave it at that.

I don't think the DT knew about the "fake" post. Wasn't Buford the only lawyer representing McD at the time? There would have been no reason for his office to monitor the Osite after McD was in jail and the DA hasn't handed over evidence yet.

You're likely right, but they MAY have monitored it, after news about the posts broke in the media -- for some of the same reasons some of us did, to see how the talk turned. I hope they did.

My thinking was that the whole post, in its crudeness and offensiveness, was the punch at WS activity. The "you mad, virgins?" component maybe was, like you say, meant mainly in context of the post -- kinda as though SoL (I think a fake one) was saying, OK, all you virgins out there, can you top this as a way to lose your "v-card"? And yet still, as a part of the entire post, a jab at WS and other "snoopers".

Thanks.. this is along the lines of what I am thinking.

I think the posters over there are always messing around, though, and don't see that post as much different from what's posted in the norm. I wouldn't have thought it was directed at WS, but maybe they were doing extra duty because they knew they were being watched. I guess if they say they were, I'll take them at their word.

Correct. The link is rebuttable, possibly very easily. I am no techie, but if the servers are gone, it may not be so easy.

I feel like I should keep adding that I am assuming this post was not made while McD was in jail. That would change things for me, since the dates of the posts are right there in plain view.

And I'll reiterate that I am going (well, mostly) with the idea that it WAS made after he was in jail. But you are wise to consider all the implications of the alternative -- it's good to have two different vantage points going here, I think. A little confusing though, LOL.

Winters never said how much blood or whose blood was on the sheet. He inferred the cadaver dogs linked it to LG. I know we heard about the keys before it came out in court, but I don't remember anything about a sheet.

This one doesn't bother me as much as it seems to some folks.

Patterson, in his testimony (as I remember), didn't use anything that sounded like an attempt to quote verbatim. From what he DID say, it seemed that SM's worries about the dog search centered around having been in Lauren's apartment (no mention of the parking lot).

Patterson NEVER mentioned that the defendant stated anything about the parking lot in the video that I saw.

"He was concerned because he had been in Lauren's apartment, the night prior, helping in the search for her. He was concerned something might have...he might have picked up something on his clothing..."

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/ar...-Cause-to-Charge-McDaniel-in-Giddings-Murder-

Winters never said how much blood or whose blood was on the sheet. He inferred the cadaver dogs linked it to LG. I know we heard about the keys before it came out in court, but I don't remember anything about a sheet.

Right, the sheet was new to us.

I'm thinking likely they have not linked the blood to Lauren (but they could be just holding that back, I guess). One theory I've heard is that maybe it had been washed/bleached already and DNA was degraded.

Patterson NEVER mentioned that the defendant stated anything about the parking lot in the video that I saw.

"He was concerned because he had been in Lauren's apartment, the night prior, helping in the search for her. He was concerned something might have...he might have picked up something on his clothing..."

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/ar...-Cause-to-Charge-McDaniel-in-Giddings-Murder-

True, as I said in my post above, he didn't.

But that doesn't mean SM didn't express concern about the parking lot as well, at some other point in the interviewing. Remember, at the comittment hearing, they had no desire to spill all the beans -- just enough to do the job. Maybe he talked about the apartment concerns to one detective (Patterson) and parking lot concerns to another. Lots of possibilities on this one, I think.

I got the impression that Winters was inferring that the SOL posts were discovered because of the flash drive. Did anyone else think he was saying that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell