Darlie's Looks and Depression

Goody said:
The other night TJ hollers, "Come quick and watch Tony Blair at his senate or whatever they call it over there!" He was all set to sit and watch with a bag of popcorn. hahahahahahah. We Americans are so easy. LOL!

Oh it's hysterical watching the House......they do more insulting and hollering and shouting at each other you have to wonder if they are ever conducting the business of the country. And the back benchers sit back there and pound on the tables with their fists, LOL.

Our parliament just opened the other day with the Speech from the Thorne as they call it.....from both the Governor General and then the Prime Minister...that smarmy git, I can't stand him. It's quite a rigmarole they go through over two days....

over there...at one time the House of Lords consisted of all the illegitimate offspring of the royals, who demanded to be recognized, LOl. Now it's the peerage and the senior clergy of the Church of England, completely unelected--like our Senate, they are appointed.

cami said:
Oh it's hysterical watching the House......they do more insulting and hollering and shouting at each other you have to wonder if they are ever conducting the business of the country. And the back benchers sit back there and pound on the tables with their fists, LOL.

Our parliament just opened the other day with the Speech from the Thorne as they call it.....from both the Governor General and then the Prime Minister...that smarmy git, I can't stand him. It's quite a rigmarole they go through over two days....

over there...at one time the House of Lords consisted of all the illegitimate offspring of the royals, who demanded to be recognized, LOl. Now it's the peerage and the senior clergy of the Church of England, completely unelected--like our Senate, they are appointed.
I didn't know that. So who besides Tony Blair is elected?

Depends how much detail you want. The House of Commons is all the constituency MPs in the country, about 600. This includes Tony Blair, the Prime Minster has to be a locally elected MP (and remains one whilst running the country). They are all elected from the local constituencies. They are the supposed proper democratic bit. They vote on changes in primary law and government proposals, and if the vote is lost it don't happen. As an example, the Govt here wants to introduce identity cards and has had to significantly dilute the proposals to get agreement in the Commons. The House of Lords is the second chamber and as another poster has said is very undemocratic. This has been highlighted recently, as it transpired that people who donated vast sums to political parties have been given seats in the Lords. They may have been very meritous people for the honour and may have been given it without the donation but the inclusion of money in the equasion makes the process stink more than it did before.

Anything that gets past the Commons goes to the Lords, as they act as scrutineer and can be a good check on a government holding a significant majority in the Commons. However, there exists the Parliament Act which can be invoked to remove the ability of the Lords to put the mockers on proposals. Tony Blair has threatened to use this with the identity cards thing, as he knows the Lords wont approve it (the Lords seeking to uphold the rights of individual freedom from the state). The Parliament Act is only rarely invoked. I think it dates from 1910 and has only been used on a handful of occassions. Examples of where the Lords disagreed and the law was changed anyway are: Reduction of the age of consent for male homosexuals to 16 (so it is the same as for hetrosexuals) from previous law of 18, banning foxhunting - this was very recent and the whole thing was and remains very acrimonious.

Proposals for reforming the Lords have been around for some time and we all want to see changes. However, the Lords are generally very well respected, with people in there who probably wouldnt be if it was wholly elected....Professor Robert Winston, Baroness Helena Kennedy, Julia Nueberger.....So I dont personally favour a totally elected 2nd chamber - gawd the electioneering is bad enough for the commons. Most of the population would just prefer to see the removal of the right by birth - these people are not innapropriate as such but they hardly ever turn up and just get all the perks with little effort.

Hope this wasnt too much info. As a relevent point of interest. The death penalty was abolished here by Act of Parliament in 1969. It is widely recognised that if a referendum was held on the death penalty in the UK, the result would very likely be a majority voting for it to be returned (I dont personally agree with it). So, theres a good example of our parliament doing what they think is best for us rather than what we would want them to do!

The other odd bit now is that Scotland was granted its own parliament (devolution) so english, welsh and NI MPs cant vote on purely Scottish things but Scottish MPs still sit in the Commons and can vote on everone elses laws etc!!!

It is amazing that you have so many more politicians than we do holding office at one time. Interesting. By the way, what is an MP?

MP = Member of Parliament. Those arent the only elected polititians we have!! An MP represents a local constituency area. Each of those is then made up of wards/parishes and a bunch of Councillors are elected to these. These people make up the local council. It is often the case that in a contituency area the MP is say from the Labour party and the local council is run by a Conservative or Liberal Democrat council (by majority), hence local council meetings are often just like the commons with all the arguing......and they wonder why no one is interested in ploitics here lol.

Anyway, back to Darlie (before I get Cyberlaw on my back again lol). I have been reading a bit on the criteria for applying the death penalty in the different states in the US (and their abandoning of it in some cases). I dont personally agree with the death penalty but think that, if you do have it, maybe it should be country wide and have the same criteria. Otherwise you have the scenario that two people can commit the same horrible offence literally 200 yards apart and one gets to die for it and one doesnt if a state boundary lies between the locations. If Darlie has been convicted somewhere else, she might have had to have been found guilty of both boys murders to get the DP or even considered for it?

Another thing relevant to this particular thread and Darlies depression...... if she had killed just Drake and been convicted would the end result have likely been the same over there? In the UK, we have the law of infanticide, which can be plead by a mother who kills her baby under 12 months if she can argue that the balance of her mind was disturbed due to the birth of a baby (like post partum depression). Women will only plead it if it is accepted that they were responsible for the death (its like a defence to murder rather than an offence in itself) so they have to have good evidence of their condition otherwise they risk a murder conviction. If successfully established, women often get non custodial sentences. Do you have anything like this over there?

Goody said:
I didn't know that. So who besides Tony Blair is elected?

Thanks to Britlaw, she explained it much better than I could. Because Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy, all acts of Parliament are done in the name of the Queen but our laws do not have to be legislated by Parliament in Britain. As of 1982, we have our own constitution with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

MP's are Members of Parliament, they are the elected body. Each represents a Federal riding. The members without portfolios are called "back benchers." Whichever party wins the most seats in a federal election is called upon to form a government and the leader of that party becomes Prime Minister. The other parties (Canada has four official parties now) can only watch and critisize them from the sidelines, LOL. But our PM was elected with a minority government, that means he must negotiate with the other parties in order to make the government work. He can also be brought down in a non-confidence vote which you witnessed with the last government...the Liberals.

We do expect this minority government to fall as well and we will have another election but not within two years. The Liberals have to elect a new leader and their convention will probably not be until December. I think I should run for leader of the Liberal party....what do you think? LOL :p

Our provincial and municipal elections where we elect first the Premiers and MLAs (members of the Legislature) are all separate elections, then in the municipal elections we elect the Mayor and city councillors.

Our politicians, other than the councillors and mayor, serve until they either resign or die...but they do have to call elections now and again....usually every four years. Municipal elections are every five years.

cami said:
Thanks to Britlaw, she explained it much better than I could. Because Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy, all acts of Parliament are done in the name of the Queen but our laws do not have to be legislated by Parliament in Britain. As of 1982, we have our own constitution with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

MP's are Members of Parliament, they are the elected body. Each represents a Federal riding. The members without portfolios are called "back benchers." Whichever party wins the most seats in a federal election is called upon to form a government and the leader of that party becomes Prime Minister. The other parties (Canada has four official parties now) can only watch and critisize them from the sidelines, LOL. But our PM was elected with a minority government, that means he must negotiate with the other parties in order to make the government work. He can also be brought down in a non-confidence vote which you witnessed with the last government...the Liberals.

We do expect this minority government to fall as well and we will have another election but not within two years. The Liberals have to elect a new leader and their convention will probably not be until December. I think I should run for leader of the Liberal party....what do you think? LOL :p

Our provincial and municipal elections where we elect first the Premiers and MLAs (members of the Legislature) are all separate elections, then in the municipal elections we elect the Mayor and city councillors.

Our politicians, other than the councillors and mayor, serve until they either resign or die...but they do have to call elections now and again....usually every four years. Municipal elections are every five years.
Geez, yours sounds so complicated. LOL!

And, yes, I think you should run. Couldn't be any worse than all those brown nosers.....hahahahah

Goody said:
Geez, yours sounds so complicated. LOL!

And, yes, I think you should run. Couldn't be any worse than all those brown nosers.....hahahahah

Complicated, aaahahahaha even more so, one of the official parties is the Partie Quebecois and only french Canada (Quebec) votes for them....Quebec refused to sign the Constitution. Last night there was an emergency debate on Canada's commitment to troops in Afghanistan.....pushed all the other news off the hour.

I'm going in competition with Ashley MacIsaac, he wants to run for the leadership as well, a gay, fiddle playing, Cape Bretoner. He is a virtuoso on that fiddle though, even if he is crazy as a loon.

Link to Ashley's website, LOL

cami said:
I'm going in competition with Ashley MacIsaac, he wants to run for the leadership as well, a gay, fiddle playing, Cape Bretoner. He is a virtuoso on that fiddle though, even if he is crazy as a loon.

Do y'all bump off the competition like they do here? hahahahahahah

cami said:

LOL! We do have Kinky Friedman running for something in Texas. When they asked him if he played golf (like the other politicians), he said the only two balls he ever hit was when he stepped on a rake. Gotta give the guy credit. He is colorful!! Texas uppercrust must be cringing though. hahahahahahahahah.

I posted briefly about this on another site, but it is something I have never been able to shake. As much about this case, it nags and haunts me.

Just prior to the murders, Darlie's depression was something that seemed to keep coming up in discussions. PPD has been topic, and it is real and many women experience it. Also, if I recall correctly, Darlie wrote about her thoughts of committing suicide, and again, if I remember correctly, she showed Darin what she had written and they discussed it.

So let's give Darlie the benefit of the doubt and say that she was, prior to the murders, severely depressed. Whether it was PPD, situational, or a clinical depression due to an inbalance in her brain chemistry, it/they became so umanagable that suicide was an option Darlie considered.

I have, at different stages in my life, experienced each of these types of depression. It is like a tightrope walk over the depths of hell, and there is constant fear that any small thing that tips the tightrope will heave you hurling into Hades, forever, because with severe depression there is no such thing as hope.

Now imagine feeling like that. But it is no small thing that tips the tightrope. It is the most unthinkable horror a mother could experience. A stranger comes into your home - the only place you have felt any sembelence of security - and slaughters your "babies" with a butcher knife. In moments your life becomes a horror film, a never-ending nightmare, and it's real.

No. No small thing to tip the scale of depression. I remember my stages of depression well. And I believe I may still be catatonic in a mental institution had I of exprienced what Darlie says she did. For that matter, even if I had NOT previously been depressed, I can't imagine ever experiencing joy again.

Much less a silly-string-party. Much less jumping up and down gleefully like a cheerleader as my husband tosses me toys to catch - toys left as a memorial for my slaughtered sons. Just days after their murders.

Even after all of the years, thinking about that little boy trying to crawl to the door, and his mother catching up to him to finish him off, is almost unbearable.

Julia

Oh, I thought you meant she was on suicide watch NOW (from the thread title).

Oops.

If I'm reading your post the way I think you intend it, you are saying that this is proof of Darlie's guilt? I agree. She is supposedly so depressed and suicidal, and her children being murdered doesn't kick her over the edge?
I would probably kill myself if anything happened to my son, and I don't believe myself to be suicidal at this moment. Too bad she just didn't kill herself first.

In a current case where the mother has burned her three children, causing the death of one and hospitalization of the others, the fact that she is bi-polar and doesn't always take her medicine will come into play. However, she has told LE that "she burned her children because she was mad at her husband."

Darlie, if she were as depressed as she claimed, would have exhibited symptoms that not only her family would have noticed, but quite possibly friends and neighbors. One would think that her depression would have been commented upon before the murders, as well as after. Mostly what we've heard was that Darlie was upset about her weight gain after pregnancy.

In the hospital after the murders, it's noticed by someone close to her (was it a friend?) that Darlie wasn't noticeably upset by the deaths. From her description of Darlie's actions, Darlie didn't seem to be that of someone depressed or in hysterics because of the deaths IMO. I think Darlie also was "mad at her husband."

In a current case where the mother has burned her three children, causing the death of one and hospitalization of the others, the fact that she is bi-polar and doesn't always take her medicine will come into play. However, she has told LE that "she burned her children because she was mad at her husband."

Darlie, if she were as depressed as she claimed, would have exhibited symptoms that not only her family would have noticed, but quite possibly friends and neighbors. One would think that her depression would have been commented upon before the murders, as well as after. Mostly what we've heard was that Darlie was upset about her weight gain after pregnancy.

In the hospital after the murders, it's noticed by someone close to her (was it a friend?) that Darlie wasn't noticeably upset by the deaths. From her description of Darlie's actions, Darlie didn't seem to be that of someone depressed or in hysterics because of the deaths IMO. I think Darlie also was "mad at her husband."

You're right about that. Darlie's look was very flat and unaffectedl

You're right about that. Darlie's look was very flat and unaffectedl
And in every clip of her since she's been in prison, she most certainly doesn't come across (IMO) as being depressed, even though she's in prison (remember her appearance, all made up with hair do's). Then there are repeated attempts to continue to blame the events on anyone else but herself.

Well I could have liked it if Darlie killed herself instead of those two innocent beautiful boys. Too bad that she is still breathing, and the boys never will. Darlie is all about Darlie remember, she saw the boys as objects that she could get "rid" of and she did. She never expected to e3ver get caught for the crime of murder, let alone be put on trial. She thought she could get away with it and she still thinks that way.

I posted briefly about this on another site, but it is something I have never been able to shake. As much about this case, it nags and haunts me.

Just prior to the murders, Darlie's depression was something that seemed to keep coming up in discussions. PPD has been topic, and it is real and many women experience it. Also, if I recall correctly, Darlie wrote about her thoughts of committing suicide, and again, if I remember correctly, she showed Darin what she had written and they discussed it.

So let's give Darlie the benefit of the doubt and say that she was, prior to the murders, severely depressed. Whether it was PPD, situational, or a clinical depression due to an inbalance in her brain chemistry, it/they became so umanagable that suicide was an option Darlie considered.

I have, at different stages in my life, experienced each of these types of depression. It is like a tightrope walk over the depths of hell, and there is constant fear that any small thing that tips the tightrope will heave you hurling into Hades, forever, because with severe depression there is no such thing as hope.

Now imagine feeling like that. But it is no small thing that tips the tightrope. It is the most unthinkable horror a mother could experience. A stranger comes into your home - the only place you have felt any sembelence of security - and slaughters your "babies" with a butcher knife. In moments your life becomes a horror film, a never-ending nightmare, and it's real.

No. No small thing to tip the scale of depression. I remember my stages of depression well. And I believe I may still be catatonic in a mental institution had I of exprienced what Darlie says she did. For that matter, even if I had NOT previously been depressed, I can't imagine ever experiencing joy again.

Much less a silly-string-party. Much less jumping up and down gleefully like a cheerleader as my husband tosses me toys to catch - toys left as a memorial for my slaughtered sons. Just days after their murders.

Even after all of the years, thinking about that little boy trying to crawl to the door, and his mother catching up to him to finish him off, is almost unbearable.

Julia
Julia, I don't recall whether Darlie had sought treatment for PPD or for simply being depressed prior to the murders. Even if she had been suffering from either, one would think that many of those close to her would have noticed and perhaps urged her to get treatment. There would be a record if she had, and it certainly would have been brought up more urgently during the trial. Darlie seems to want attention, and acted as if she wouldn't stop at anything to get it, even if it meant claiming that she suffered from PDD or depression, or some other illness, even if she wasn't. One would think that if Darlie were in the throes of either conditions, the murders would have been the event that tipped her even deeper, yet her appearances on tv then and now don't show that. IMOO.

Now, when I was pregnant with the teen, in my neck of the woods, there was still stigma attatched to PPD. My doctor was one of the forward thinking docs who counseled me on PPD, and gave me literature to read, JUST in case. I can buy a woman hiding the depression. Newborns are so sweet, moms are supposed to be full of joy at the birth. What mom wants to admit(esp an image cons. mom) she is depressed, sad, and feels suicidal during what is supposed to be such a wonderful happy time?

But, if truly depressed, I doubt one is going to feel much like frolicing at a party at a grave. That just goes beyond normal parameter behavior to me. So, not getting help or telling about the ppd, I can buy. Frolicing at a graveyard at your murdered sons graves, while in the grips of ppd, VERY hard to swallow.

Now, when I was pregnant with the teen, in my neck of the woods, there was still stigma attatched to PPD. My doctor was one of the forward thinking docs who counseled me on PPD, and gave me literature to read, JUST in case. I can buy a woman hiding the depression. Newborns are so sweet, moms are supposed to be full of joy at the birth. What mom wants to admit(esp an image cons. mom) she is depressed, sad, and feels suicidal during what is supposed to be such a wonderful happy time?

But, if truly depressed, I doubt one is going to feel much like frolicing at a party at a grave. That just goes beyond normal parameter behavior to me. So, not getting help or telling about the ppd, I can buy. Frolicing at a graveyard at your murdered sons graves, while in the grips of ppd, VERY hard to swallow.
I think that's part of what convinces me. It is very hard to imagine anyone suffering from PPD or serious depression acting in that manner after the horrendous murders of their children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncdukefan
Back