Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

The way I see it, there are 2 possibly scenario's for this George Broda.

1) George Brody was actually George Broda and he faked his own death in1918 for
whatever reason, draft evasion or some other reason unknown to us. This however
does not explain why he is listed in the 1920 census.

2) A person with a name unknown to us assumed George Broda's identity some time after
he died in 1918 and then later changed the surname to Brody. This could explain the
1920 census entry. There are census entries for George Broda's in 1930, a couple of
them were boarders/roomers in different states but I can't confirm if any of them are
the same George Broda as the 1920 census. If the fake George Broda then changed
his name to Brody in 1921 this could explain why George Brody claimed his birth year
as 1921 (I'm pretty sure I read that in one of the threads, please correct me if I'm
wrong).

Of the 2 scenario's, I personally think the second is more plausible.

I hope this makes sense. GB really does my head in :(

Is a SSN automatically issued when someone becomes a naturalized citizen?

Wouldn't George Broda have to have been naturalized to be drafted in to the US armed forces?

Raf,

Have you been able to find out how George Broda died? Maybe he did go to war and was killed in action (unlikely, seeing as the war ended in 1918, only months after he was drafted).

I guess the 3rd scenario could be that George Broda faked his own death to avoid going to war and when the war ended a few months later he came back out of the woodwork. Just a thought.

Hi,
no, I have no possibility of to know how George Broda died..
raf

Yes, Annasmom, you are correct about social security. It was not until the late 1970's (I beleive) that babies were issued SS cards after birth.

I have not researched this, but I believe Social Security did not start until about 1930, and you did have to apply for it; it wasn't automatic. Even as far back as World War I, you could get U.S. citizenship by joining the army. I believe this may still be the case, but am not sure. I can't deal with Brody stuff very long without getting brain freeze, so I know what you mean.:banghead:

I will try to research the George Brody ruleouts. Here is the marriage license...

Attachments

• GB marriage license-1.jpg
    GB marriage license-1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Jules. I know there are some which were ruled out a few years ago within the forum. I just want to make sure those already ruled out are listed so as we research we aren't researching those already ruled out. Thanks!

hth

It is slow going, there is so much back and forth that there are some that I am not sure have been ruled out. We are just looking at so much data. It has been good for me to go back though, I actually have a list of questions I am compiling as well...Hopefully I will have the list ready tomorrow....
Thanks Jules. I know there are some which were ruled out a few years ago within the forum. I just want to make sure those already ruled out are listed so as we research we aren't researching those already ruled out. Thanks!

hth

Take your time Jules'. It's not like we can just search the name and use that... because we'd have too many to sort through. Using the search george brody census might work. Many of the older posts discussed following the possible GB's via the census.

TY!

Ok, well it is taking longer than I thought (life getting in the way, busy teacher appreciation week, and now making two trays of baklava today for my sons Latin/Greek class.)

This is what I have so far, and if someone has any additional information about the George's post below, please let me know, I may have missed something!

Definite Ruleouts (?):

The George Brody, born 1898 in Pennsylvania.
Michael Brody, born 1894 in Pennsylvania.
George Brody, born 1903 in Texas
George Brody, born August 18, 1897 in Rhode Island
Robert George Wolfe
George Brody (the other George from SF with the wife Margaret) born 1890. He was a hardware store person who moved to SF in 1930's.

I, unfortunately, did not take notes as to why they were ruled out, other than that seemed to be the determination of the group at the time that they were being researched.

So far in my research, there are several that have NOT been ruled out (I will probably add to this list)

George Brody Birthdate- about 1894 Lived in Cartago, Inyo, California as of 1920 census (There was alot of back and forth on this one, and perhaps I have not gotten far enough in the research, but so far he is not ruled out.)

Jack Dalton- I know there was a height discrepancy, but there are several who felt that he could be a possible, and perhaps Jack Dalton's height stats were not accurate.

I did have a couple of questions, after re-reading through the research done in the past...
1. Someone mentioned that GB might have been getting social security benefits under another name. Is there a way to search by address and see who lived at at that address? We could look at all the addresses that he lived at and see if there were any other occupants?
Also, I realize that he mostly lived in hotels, so there of course would be other tenants, but is there some kind of reverse city directory that we could use that would list address not just by street, but also by suite or room? If we could find other tenants who lived near him/with him, they might still be alive and willing to talk?

2. Annasmom- The letter that GW forged your name on, what was the letter about? Did he ask you to sign it and you said no? Why do you think he would do this? Was the signature close to yours? If so, there is a good possibility that if he was accurate with that forging, he could have been accurate with others?

3. GW's research on cyanide poisoning keeps nagging at me. He researched this many years before he acted on it. Why? Why write to the widow of a Nazi criminal?

Ok, well it is taking longer than I thought (life getting in the way, busy teacher appreciation week, and now making two trays of baklava today for my sons Latin/Greek class.)

2. Annasmom- The letter that GW forged your name on, what was the letter about? Did he ask you to sign it and you said no? Why do you think he would do this? Was the signature close to yours? If so, there is a good possibility that if he was accurate with that forging, he could have been accurate with others?

3. GW's research on cyanide poisoning keeps nagging at me. He researched this many years before he acted on it. Why? Why write to the widow of a Nazi criminal?

Jules, baklava sounds wonderful!
The letter you mention was never actually delivered. GW had written it out and signed it with my name and wanted me to copy and sign it in my handwriting, which I refused to do. It was a "confession" which followed his delusional thinking...that I loved Brody, that I wanted him to take over our lives and save our marriage, etc., etc. He didn't actually forge my signature. I don't think he would have done that in other cases, but maybe so.

About the cyanide, I haven't the slightest idea. He was not in his right mind, so who knows what the poor man was thinking.

Hi Guys, I've been meaning to go through the list of the ruled out GB's Jules added... as time permits, but I have to be honest. I just did two big projects here at WS moving all the missing persons cases from the Cold Case forum into their newer missing but not forgotten discussion forum and subforums and going through the entire UID forum for updating prefixes. Give me a bit.... because I just don't have it in my head right now to spend the time..... So if no one else has the time, I haven't forgotten about it and I will.... it just may be a few weeks before I can get my head back into that frame of mind to scour through all the old posts......

in the mean time thanks for all the AWESOME sleuthing on Anna's case!
You guys rock!

I am still working on this too, I will go back through and determine why they were ruled out. You don't have to do that.

Hi Guys, I've been meaning to go through the list of the ruled out GB's Jules added... as time permits, but I have to be honest. I just did two big projects here at WS moving all the missing persons cases from the Cold Case forum into their newer missing but not forgotten discussion forum and subforums and going through the entire UID forum for updating prefixes. Give me a bit.... because I just don't have it in my head right now to spend the time..... So if no one else has the time, I haven't forgotten about it and I will.... it just may be a few weeks before I can get my head back into that frame of mind to scour through all the old posts......

in the mean time thanks for all the AWESOME sleuthing on Anna's case!
You guys rock!

Thanks Jules. IIRC, most were ruled out due to marriages, info found on the SSDI that did not match up, or tracking the family to area's times we know our GB was in the Oakland SF area..... I will try to get to it too as time permits.......

It is amazing--as I dig deeper into our past postings, there are a number of people who were really not ruled out.

I do have a question regarding one person posted: Glenn Rollin Hyde.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hyde_glen.html

Someone posted that Hyde should be ruled out because he was over 6', but I cannot find anywhere on the web where it states his height. Can someone direct me where it is listed that Hyde was 6' so I can rule him out? Thxs!

It is amazing--as I dig deeper into our past postings, there are a number of people who were really not ruled out.

I do have a question regarding one person posted: Glenn Rollin Hyde.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hyde_glen.html

Someone posted that Hyde should be ruled out because he was over 6', but I cannot find anywhere on the web where it states his height. Can someone direct me where it is listed that Hyde was 6' so I can rule him out? Thxs!

I think it was the baseball player you are thinking of who was over 6' or much taller than Jack (Tolbert Percy) Dalton you are thinking of regarding ht.

I had a phone call from a very nice FBI agent first thing this morning, saying he was proceeding on the investigation of GB and trying to pin down some things. Thanks to the timeline, I was able to give him the physical addresses we know belonged to Brody; what I could not find right away was information on the Oakland bank and safety deposit box with the cash which came up unclaimed If anybody can find a post dealing with this, it should go in the timeline. The agent said he was also opening a file on Anna and would be mailing me confirmation of that. He was a most sympathetic man and he said he would search as well as he could, but that in the absence of a definite birth date, he could not really promise any results. I told him that the most definite results we had were negative results...no birth date, no SS number, etc. But here's another stone we're not leaving unturned.

I had a phone call from a very nice FBI agent first thing this morning, saying he was proceeding on the investigation of GB and trying to pin down some things. Thanks to the timeline, I was able to give him the physical addresses we know belonged to Brody; what I could not find right away was information on the Oakland bank and safety deposit box with the cash which came up unclaimed If anybody can find a post dealing with this, it should go in the timeline. The agent said he was also opening a file on Anna and would be mailing me confirmation of that. He was a most sympathetic man and he said he would search as well as he could, but that in the absence of a definite birth date, he could not really promise any results. I told him that the most definite results we had were negative results...no birth date, no SS number, etc. But here's another stone we're not leaving unturned.

Wow, I am so happy for you. I think getting them to get active on Anna's case is huge. Can you ask them about the US Embassy in Rome? I never wrote to them, but I think if this agent made a call things will get moving faster. I am glad they were nice. I don't understand them opening a file on Anna, I thought that there would already be one, from 1973.

Wow, I am so happy for you. I think getting them to get active on Anna's case is huge. Can you ask them about the US Embassy in Rome? I never wrote to them, but I think if this agent made a call things will get moving faster. I am glad they were nice. I don't understand them opening a file on Anna, I thought that there would already be one, from 1973.
There was an FBI connection from very early on, but I'm all for letting them open a new file if they suggest it. I don't want to push my luck too far by asking about Rome just yet...but tell me again what it is that I should be asking about the embassy?

There was an FBI connection from very early on, but I'm all for letting them open a new file if they suggest it. I don't want to push my luck too far by asking about Rome just yet...but tell me again what it is that I should be asking about the embassy?

I forwarded an email from the consulate and they suggested that we contact the U.S. Embassy in Rome about any records of travel from the U.S for the month of January on in 1973. I can re-forward it to you, as they say it is a police matter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crime.junkie
Back